Author Topic: questions about meets and training.  (Read 1526 times)

powerbomb

• Getbig II
  • WHATS YOUR EXCUSE?!
questions about meets and training.
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »
  First off, Hello to everybody. I havent been on here in a long time due to work but now Im back.
My questions concern training. I am currently in a merchant marine academy about to be going to sea for minimums of 3 months at a time and I was wondering if the basic gyms on the ships are enough to get ready for meets and competitions? I always hear about this "flat board" training and might not be able to do that all the time. Is this a major factor in strength training or can I get by without it? Second, at the meets do you have to compete in all of the disciplines or can you only pick one like bench or deadlift? Third and last ( for now) I currently weight about 198 and am putting up mid to high 300's raw bench and Im moving up at a good rate(natural). Is this a decent bench or do I have alot more work to do? I'm not looking to become champion of the world or anything but while Im sailing I dont drink and all I do is lift so it would be nice to come back and hit a few meets if I could manage to catch them at the right time.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses, Nate

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: questions about meets and training.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
I was wondering if the basic gyms on the ships are enough to get ready for meets and competitions?

NASH: You should see the rat trap I train in, basic equipment with no thrills. if you have a bench, barbell, and plates you have enough. Overcome, adapt, improvise. If you really want it you will find a way.

I always hear about this "flat board" training and might not be able to do that all the time. Is this a major factor in strength training or can I get by without it?

NASH: yes, you can get by without it.

Second, at the meets do you have to compete in all of the disciplines or can you only pick one like bench or deadlift?

NASH: If you want to squat in competiton you will need to do all three lifts. MOST if not all MEETS offer a bench only and a dead only division, you could always skip the squat and do bench only or dead only or do what is called a push/pull. that is to bench and dead.

Third and last ( for now) I currently weight about 198 and am putting up mid to high 300's raw bench and Im moving up at a good rate(natural). Is this a decent bench or do I have alot more work to do?

NASH: your bench is a great bench for anyone (drug free or not). BUT, NEVER be satisfied. You said you don't want to become champion of the world, well, with a mind set like that you never will. Champions are not born, they work their ass off to become one. The champions of today were at one time average little kids, but they set goals and worked for toward fulfilling them. You can too.

sept 10th APF

powerbomb

• Getbig II
  • WHATS YOUR EXCUSE?!
Re: questions about meets and training.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks nash, I appreciate the feedback.