Author Topic: House Bill 282  (Read 1715 times)

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
House Bill 282
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »

MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE

2008 Regular Session

To: Public Health and Human Services; Judiciary B

By: Representative Mayhall, Read, Shows

House Bill 282
An act to prohibit certain food establishments from serving food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the State Department of Health; to direct the Department to prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese and to provide those materials to the food establishments; to direct the Department to monitor the food establishments for compliance with the provisions of this act; and for related purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1.  (1)  The provisions of this section shall apply to any food establishment that is required to obtain a permit from the State Department of Health under Section 41-3-15(4)(f), that operates primarily in an enclosed facility and that has five (5) or more seats for customers.

(2)  Any food establishment to which this section applies shall not be allowed to serve food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the State Department of Health after consultation with the Mississippi Council on Obesity Prevention and Management established under Section 41-101-1 or its successor.  The State Department of Health shall prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese, and shall provide those materials to all food establishments to which this section applies.  A food establishment shall be entitled to rely on the criteria for obesity in those written materials when determining whether or not it is allowed to serve food to any person.

(3)  The State Department of Health shall monitor the food establishments to which this section applies for compliance with the provisions of this section, and may revoke the permit of any food establishment that repeatedly violates the provisions of this section.

SECTION 2.  This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2008.

I

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: House Bill 282
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »
Yes!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »
mississippi?   ::)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
mississippi?   ::)

who gives?

It's a start!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Man, some of you guys are so fuking dumb by not realizing the can of worms this is opening up for future laws. Being able to deny food to people should not be a law. I can see it now. What about the people who work there or even the owner. What if they are deemed obese, then does that mean they can't eat will working? Imagine some employee who is fatter than you telling you that you are too fat to be served.  ::)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »
Man, some of you guys are so fuking dumb by not realizing the can of worms this is opening up for future laws. Being able to deny food to people should not be a law. I can see it now. What about the people who work there or even the owner. What if they are deemed obese, then does that mean they can't eat will working? Imagine some employee who is fatter than you telling you that you are too fat to be served.  ::)

Fat people should be outlawed!!

Bring Ze Fatcentration Camps!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Fat people should be outlawed!!

Bring Ze Fatcentration Camps!!

or that too.  ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
or that too.  ;D

See?

Who gives a shit if fat people can"t work in restaurants anymore...

more chances for cute waitresses to work!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:50 AM »
Oh man, I am gonna starve!!!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE

2008 Regular Session

To: Public Health and Human Services; Judiciary B

By: Representative Mayhall, Read, Shows

House Bill 282
An act to prohibit certain food establishments from serving food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the State Department of Health; to direct the Department to prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese and to provide those materials to the food establishments; to direct the Department to monitor the food establishments for compliance with the provisions of this act; and for related purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1.  (1)  The provisions of this section shall apply to any food establishment that is required to obtain a permit from the State Department of Health under Section 41-3-15(4)(f), that operates primarily in an enclosed facility and that has five (5) or more seats for customers.

(2)  Any food establishment to which this section applies shall not be allowed to serve food to any person who is obese, based on criteria prescribed by the State Department of Health after consultation with the Mississippi Council on Obesity Prevention and Management established under Section 41-101-1 or its successor.  The State Department of Health shall prepare written materials that describe and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese, and shall provide those materials to all food establishments to which this section applies.  A food establishment shall be entitled to rely on the criteria for obesity in those written materials when determining whether or not it is allowed to serve food to any person.

(3)  The State Department of Health shall monitor the food establishments to which this section applies for compliance with the provisions of this section, and may revoke the permit of any food establishment that repeatedly violates the provisions of this section.

SECTION 2.  This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2008.

Great post, thanks for posting the actual bill and specifics :)
Even if this becomes law, it won't hold constitutional muster.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »
Great post, thanks for posting the actual bill and specifics :)
Even if this becomes law, it won't hold constitutional muster.

I agree.  I think this is more a matter of political grandstanding than any real attempt at legislation. 

It's a by-product of all those brain-dead soccer moms who ask presidential candidates, "What would you do about childhood obesity?"  Too many people looking to the government to solve problems that people should solve themselves.  I have spoken.
~

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
Your right this is going to be the beginning of a lot fucked up laws and our society slowly losing it's rights

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »
just read in the paper today that the guy who introduced the bill was actually joking and was just trying to make a point on how fat mississipians are.  Hats off to him.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
I agree.  I think this is more a matter of political grandstanding than any real attempt at legislation. 

It's a by-product of all those brain-dead soccer moms who ask presidential candidates, "What would you do about childhood obesity?"  Too many people looking to the government to solve problems that people should solve themselves.  I have spoken.

well said, agree 100%
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!