Author Topic: What would've been your gut reaction?  (Read 1364 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
What would've been your gut reaction?
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

This will get moved, but I wanted to get the conversation started here:

Shopping for an elliptical machine, I went to the mall late yesterday morning. 

While there, I noticed a group of four young Latino males walking around.  They looked to be between the ages of 12 and 15. 

Yesterday was a school day.  Where I'm from (down South), if it was a school day and you appeared to be school-aged, then mall security would question you.  They don't do that in California, but still, why were these kids not in school? 

My gut reaction was that there's a possibility these kids are not U.S. citizens.  Nevertheless, if they're here, I want them in school. 

I could be completely wrong.  It's entirely possible they were just cutting class, but if they are living here without U.S. citizenship, they belong in school. 

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: What would've been your gut reaction?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
In 1983 the US Supreme Ct rules that minors were to be given the chance to attend public schools regardless of the nature of their citizenship or legal presence in the US.

I don't garee with this decision and teach in a large public HS.
I urge you to call the school trunacy officer who can be contacted via the local school board in your area.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
This will get moved, but I wanted to get the conversation started here:

Shopping for an elliptical machine, I went to the mall late yesterday morning. 

While there, I noticed a group of four young Latino males walking around.  They looked to be between the ages of 12 and 15. 

Yesterday was a school day.  Where I'm from (down South), if it was a school day and you appeared to be school-aged, then mall security would question you.  They don't do that in California, but still, why were these kids not in school? 

My gut reaction was that there's a possibility these kids are not U.S. citizens.  Nevertheless, if they're here, I want them in school. 

I could be completely wrong.  It's entirely possible they were just cutting class, but if they are living here without U.S. citizenship, they belong in school. 

Here comes the money shot

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
the great thing about illegals is that you can punch/ kick/ rob/ rape/ insult/ embarass them without fear of being reported to teh police!
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:12:16 PM »
the great thing about illegals is that you can punch/ kick/ rob/ rape/ insult/ embarass them without fear of being reported to teh police!

why would you want to rape immigrant men?  ???

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
with all the overcrowded schools here in California, many are split shifted.   One campus can have a 6 am to 1 pm shift and a 2 to 9 pm shift.   Maybe their school day simply hadn't started yet.

and no public school in California checks for citizenship, truancy laws apply

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »
Great lookin dog hehehe

hopefully one of your 10 ex wives didn't take the dog as well

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »
with all the overcrowded schools here in California, many are split shifted.   One campus can have a 6 am to 1 pm shift and a 2 to 9 pm shift.   Maybe their school day simply hadn't started yet.

and no public school in California checks for citizenship

serious, thats cool.  can you switch your schedule up? or do you have to stick with one shift through the whole year?

if i was still in school I would go for the 6-1 school day  :D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »
serious, thats cool.  can you switch your schedule up? or do you have to stick with one shift through the whole year?

they would be considered two different schools, with two different names, two different set of teachers and administrators, two different sports teams, two different set of bus routes.   so my guess is that you'd have to have a pretty good reason to transfer to the other school.

bigj2k3

• Getbig II
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:07:02 PM »
How about sending them back, and letting their country of origin worry about their schooling?