Author Topic: Cheap Protein?  (Read 1583 times)

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Cheap Protein?
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
some cheap sources of protein? im in a college and its fvckin expensive to eat 175-200 grams of protein a day! thanks

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
Re: Cheap Protein?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
gemma protein 4.5$ lb , vegetable protein

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
gemma protein 4.5$ lb , vegetable protein

Agreed. It's good stuff. However, you need to make sure you add a little extra water because it gets really thick really easy.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
some cheap sources of protein? im in a college and its fvckin expensive to eat 175-200 grams of protein a day! thanks

Just like good meat, you get what you pay for with regards to protein. IMO search on-line stores or a local mom and pop strore that is cheaper than retail. If you look, you can find some good deals.

However, all protein, especially Whey has gone up about 20-30% since May.

Whey will be cheaper than blended proteins per lb. (whey, milk, egg for example)

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:02 PM »
cool thanks guys. what about whole foods? i was more thinkin along that line. i like the shakes but IMO whole foods are best hands down.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
boneless skinless chicken breasts and eggs lots of eggs...red meat also has a good protein count....theres like 23 or so grams of protein in a 1/4 pound of lean beef...good luck man i share the same burden with you as far as trying to get more whole food meals in my diet ive finally got it down to only having 2 shakes one preworkout and one post workout other then that all whole foods....

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
tuna cans , chicken , cottage cheese

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »
know what else are fuckin delcious and real pretty high in protein is salmon patties buy a can and make it into 2 huge patties one for lunch and one for dinner or whatever i think one can of pink salmon has like 80 somethinng grams of protein in it...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

AMEN to that! I was in your shoes over 10 years ago.

I'll break it down like this:

Protein foods: Canned Tuna (chunk light), whole eggs, evaporated milk, powdered milk, ground beef (80% lean).

Protein supplements: Ectomorph - BodyTech (Vitamin Shoppe) Tech X Mass: 7.5-lb jug $28
                             Meso/Endomorph - BodyTech Whey Tech: 5-lb jug $25

Back when I was in school, the protein supplements I used were Super/Giant Mega Mass 2000/4000 and GNC's Challenge Milk and Egg protein powder. Toward the tail end of my college years, I switched to N-Large (which later became N-Larbe2).

Get yourself a GNC card and start checking out as many of their stores as possible. Look for marked-down protein supplements (they have an orange tag with the reduced price). Also, if you check out Vitamin Shoppe stores, they often have a clearance table. In January, I picked up three 6-lb jugs of HDT's 5+1 Whey Protein powder, at $10 per jug. I'm halfway through jug #2, with #3 still waiting in wings.

Or, you can go Sam's Club, which sells 6-lb bags of EAS 100% Whey Protein for $28. However, most of the bags I've seen have an expriation date around October 2009. Once those are gone, the price will likely go up.

You may have to forgo the eggs and beef, if you don't have steady access to a refrigerator. Luckily for me, my last two roomates in school had mini-fridges, which they let me use (which would almost always froze my eggs). They also has microwaves, in which I could cook my beef.

If you haven't already done so, invest in a food scale (preferably one with a nutritional guide) and a blender. This way you can get the hang of measuring your portions, to get your grams of protein (along with carbs and fat) down. After a few months, you'll be able to eye-ball it.

Eat, Drink, Be Massive, and God Bless!!!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »
$ per gram of protein, canned tuna is hard to beat for whole foods. 

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »

Tuna, eggs, canned salmon, cottage cheese, milk, even protein powder isn't that expensive, if you figure out how many shakes you can get out of a jug.

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
I would suggest if protein powder is a main staple in your diet, to stock up now cause there is going to be another increase in the price of whey in the coming months...look for the prices to start to take a climb may/june'ish  :-\

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
I would suggest if protein powder is a main staple in your diet, to stock up now cause there is going to be another increase in the price of whey in the coming months...look for the prices to start to take a climb may/june'ish  :-\

Where did you get that info?

I have been told it should stabalize until next year and actually may go down a bit.

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
I have a friend that works dairy/farming industry and was told its not just that, but everything in the grocery store will also be see prices rising. Wheat, Eggs, Dairy (mainly powder), Corn ect: are suggested/estimated to increase in the near future.