Author Topic: Can you guys remember these days?  (Read 2411 times)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Can you guys remember these days?
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
My son and his friends turn 13 this year.
They discovered muscles and girls.
They go out back and do bench press and curls, the usual for teen age boys.
I have got them doing squats, deads and rows as well now.
I also bought them a big bucket of muscle builder which they religiously down after each work out.
It feels like deja vu when my buddies and I used to go lift weights in my old mans garage.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Re: Can you guys remember these days?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »
man i remember the first set i got was just a mini bar and weights with no bench and for 7th and 8th grade i did curls, overhead presses, and bench presses on the floor, and scott...man those were some fun times...

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
yes, my first barbell and weights looked very much the same.....and that was 27 Years ago.... ::)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »
no offense, but isn't 13 years old still too young to be "hitting the weights"? i'd say at least wait 1 more year until he's fully reached puberty. woudln't weight training hurt a 13 year old kid?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
Not an expert here but I don't think 13 is too young to start lifting .... as long as he is not doing super heavy powerlifting workouts. Is that 225 on the bar in the photo? Good to see he and his buddies are training seriously, Power. They could be spending that time doing far less better. And great to see you motivating them.

Only suggest I would make at this time is to ask each of them to keep a Lifting Diary of each of their workouts. It'll prove to be beneficial and interesting later on.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
I wish someone would have motivated me to workout at 13, instead of doing what/who I was doing.......
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »
no offense, but isn't 13 years old still too young to be "hitting the weights"? i'd say at least wait 1 more year until he's fully reached puberty. woudln't weight training hurt a 13 year old kid?
I dont think so.
He has been doing Judo since the age of 7.
A lot of their strength training involves picking up people their own weight, which is sorta like weight training anyway just with living weights.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:09:39 AM »
I dont think so.
He has been doing Judo since the age of 7.
A lot of their strength training involves picking up people their own weight, which is sorta like weight training anyway just with living weights.

hey man i agree with you and 13 years old or like 8th grade or so is a fine time to start physical exercise and it will be helpful in high school sports if they participate in them...i know my uncle set me up with my first set in 7th grade then in 9th grade i had my own adjustable bench with fly and leg attachments and it def helped me out in freshman football i was a little tank...i am all for it....good for you and your boy good luck...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
Does climbing trees count?

I lived next to Golden Gate Park when I was in the 4th grade, and I used to spend my free time climbing the highest trees I could find. By the time I was in the 6th grade, I could climb trees better than Tarzan and had enough strength to do legless rope climbs with about 30 pounds tied around my waist.

I was the strongest kid in my class from then on out.

By the 8th grade I was lifting weights avidly and continued throughout high school and college.

While I was in the Corps, I was the Obstical Course champ for Dog and Pony Shows for visiting US Congressmen and had no problem beating anyone who they put me up against. Once I was asked how come I was so good and I simply said, "Trees, sir!". (We weren't allowed to speak to Congressmen unless they directed a specific question at us individually. And then we had to answer concisely and with few words as possible ... with a "Sir!" followed at the end.)

So, yea, I think lifting or any other strength building exercise is of great value for 13 / 14 year old kids. But even more important is the fact that they are committed to doing something athletic to improve themselves -  be it lifting, or football or any other strength and character building endeavor.

My sole regret is that I never climbed to the top of a Redwood tree which I've always wanted to do as a kid. Those initial branches were just too darn high to reach and the trunks were to darn large to shinny up. I tried but never was successful.

And now I couldn't do it even if you gave me a ladder, so accomplish your dreams while you're able to get to reach your goal. If you wait, it'll never happen.
And encourage your sons and daughters to do the same.

One last comment here - when my nephew was three, he used to stand on my brother in law's shoulders while they rode a unicycle up and down the block, so I bought him a couple of month's membership in a local Gymnastics studio. 20 years or so later he was one of the lead performers for Cirque de Soleil's Mystere in Las Vegas doing backflips off one pole onto another and now he's involved in some of Hollywood's major movie productions. All this because he rode on top of his dad's shoulder on a unicycle when he was three and got some encouragement from his Uncle Stunt.

My point here is that we should all encourage our kids or even the neighbor's kids when kids do something they enjoy that will help them do better in their adult years.

Good job, Power and thanks for starting this great post.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
haha!  It was rediculous cheat curls and some shoulder presses every night in my room, with stone/sand filled orbitron plates on a smooth black bar!  Oh the memories! My cheat curls would be like a full body swing. The plates, if you can even call them that, were such a pain to take off and put back on that I just left on as much as I thought I could handle.  Then it would be steak and instant mashed potatoes every meal of the day.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:49:33 AM »
Well im still young, but i remember when i was about 15 or so i was walking home from school and someone had thrown out a dumbbell with some rusty weight plates on it, so i took it home and did curls, tri exercises and dumbbell rows (i thought it was an arm exercise for some reason ;D). Did that for 6 months. Never changed the weights (they were rusted on :D) Then i got a bench and a barbell. Later on i then i joined a gym. lol, thinking about this makes me realise how little i really did know at the beginning.
No doubt about it...

Moosejay

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
Not an expert here but I don't think 13 is too young to start lifting .... as long as he is not doing super heavy powerlifting workouts. Is that 225 on the bar in the photo? Good to see he and his buddies are training seriously, Power. They could be spending that time doing far less better. And great to see you motivating them.

Only suggest I would make at this time is to ask each of them to keep a Lifting Diary of each of their workouts. It'll prove to be beneficial and interesting later on.

12 and up should be fine....naturally...if kids this age are hammering (or trying to) 1,000 pound leg presses and pounding bench presses with too much weight and horrible form...then we may be talking bony end-plate damage. But, that is worst-case scenario and very unlikely.

They should lift away.

Moosejay

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Does climbing trees count?

I lived next to Golden Gate Park when I was in the 4th grade, and I used to spend my free time climbing the highest trees I could find. By the time I was in the 6th grade, I could climb trees better than Tarzan and had enough strength to do legless rope climbs with about 30 pounds tied around my waist.

I was the strongest kid in my class from then on out.

By the 8th grade I was lifting weights avidly and continued throughout high school and college.

While I was in the Corps, I was the Obstical Course champ for Dog and Pony Shows for visiting US Congressmen and had no problem beating anyone who they put me up against. Once I was asked how come I was so good and I simply said, "Trees, sir!". (We weren't allowed to speak to Congressmen unless they directed a specific question at us individually. And then we had to answer concisely and with few words as possible ... with a "Sir!" followed at the end.)

So, yea, I think lifting or any other strength building exercise is of great value for 13 / 14 year old kids. But even more important is the fact that they are committed to doing something athletic to improve themselves -  be it lifting, or football or any other strength and character building endeavor.

My sole regret is that I never climbed to the top of a Redwood tree which I've always wanted to do as a kid. Those initial branches were just too darn high to reach and the trunks were to darn large to shinny up. I tried but never was successful.

And now I couldn't do it even if you gave me a ladder, so accomplish your dreams while you're able to get to reach your goal. If you wait, it'll never happen.
And encourage your sons and daughters to do the same.

One last comment here - when my nephew was three, he used to stand on my brother in law's shoulders while they rode a unicycle up and down the block, so I bought him a couple of month's membership in a local Gymnastics studio. 20 years or so later he was one of the lead performers for Cirque de Soleil's Mystere in Las Vegas doing backflips off one pole onto another and now he's involved in some of Hollywood's major movie productions. All this because he rode on top of his dad's shoulder on a unicycle when he was three and got some encouragement from his Uncle Stunt.

My point here is that we should all encourage our kids or even the neighbor's kids when kids do something they enjoy that will help them do better in their adult years.

Good job, Power and thanks for starting this great post.

My college roomate's father has him carry around a 5 pound bag of sugar all over the house when he was 2 or 3 years old. He could BP 300+ in high scvhool and was one of his college's top hockey players. Enormous chest.