Author Topic: What does everyone have against majority Protein Powder diets?  (Read 1357 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
What does everyone have against majority Protein Powder diets?
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
As in the majority (60%-80%) from Whey/Casein blends to cover your protein needs?
I hate the State.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: What does everyone have against majority Protein Powder diets?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »
numerous things

protein shakes are devoid of other nutrients
protein shakes do not stimulate the metabolism
protein shakes hit the blood stream too quickly to be utilized in to any large degree
protein shakes spike insulin
protein shakes only supply aminos for a couple hours
protein shakes do not posess the ability to slow the digestion of carbohydrates
protein shakes do not fill you up!!!!
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
ditto.  Not very bio-available. Pretty soon people are going to come to a new understanding: just because something has all the nutrients in it that human beings need doesn't mean human beings are able to access those nutrients.  I read something about your average stone you find on the street containing most, if not all, the minerals in it needed to sustain human life.  Kind of interesting.
Want a protein shake?  Make one with whole food-raw eggs, unheated honey, some berries...etc.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:53:39 AM »
How many of you do actually use them?  I would love to stop using protein shakes but am stressed that I will start losing size.

Is there anybody on here that does not actually use them and is actually big?
It hasn't helped...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:02:53 AM »
Whole foods are more thermogenic.   Whole foods,  BCAAs and maybe a shake a day is all you need.  If you're that worried about catabolism take some creatine while you diet and megadose your bcaas.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:44:16 AM »
i guess it all really depends on your life style and job because some people are fortunate enough to haev somewhat flexible job where they can eat at every couple hours some of us dont....some of us can eat 3 big meals during the day and are able to throw in a protein bar here and a shake there....right now ive got it down to as low as i think i will ever be able to and thats only drinking one 24 gram shake mixed with 4 eggs and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast and then an 25 gram isolate shake before workout and 50 grams of isolate after mixed with 30 grams of waxy maize...but without those shakes i wouldnt be able to reach my protein goals which i aim for around 300 grams a day so at 212 thats about 1.4grams per pound which is a descent amount of protein...

copacetic

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:36 AM »
ditto.  Not very bio-available. Pretty soon people are going to come to a new understanding: just because something has all the nutrients in it that human beings need doesn't mean human beings are able to access those nutrients.  I read something about your average stone you find on the street containing most, if not all, the minerals in it needed to sustain human life.  Kind of interesting.
Want a protein shake?  Make one with whole food-raw eggs, unheated honey, some berries...etc.

everything i've every read said whey protein was they Most bio-availible of all of the proteins but hey everybody says something different when it comes to protein what i've basically thought was if i'm trying to get it to me quickly eat some fast carbs with it if i want it to absorb slowly use slow carbs am i wrong here? I mean I agree that whole foods are important because they give you fiber and nutrients and chicken in general has a better fat to protein ratio than whey does (especially if you mix it with milk like i do) but i don't believe its as bio-availible as whey is......

mental_masturbator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 03:29:07 AM »
Frankly I don't see a big problem as long as the rest of the diet is on point.  It might get kind of boring to eat this way though.  If you're getting efa's, enough carbo's and important micronutrients from the menu, then why not?  A whey/casein blend is still a whole intact food-derived protein, just in a powdered form without the fat and sugar of milk, no?  I rely pretty heavily on a milk isolate powder for my protein needs (estimated 80-100 grams of my daily intake) and have done just fine.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:43:22 AM »
I guess the issue is convenience. I work full time and it's easier for me do the shake thing. I wil consider reducing them though.
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
I guess the issue is convenience. I work full time and it's easier for me do the shake thing. I wil consider reducing them though.

i also work full time 13 hour days and thats just how it goes...ive got it down to as little as possible and also something that alot of the guys who swear against them wont admit but it is cheaper to supplement with a few shakes a day then it is to buy whole food...think about ill use natures best isopure as my example since i drink that before and after workouts your getting 50 grams of protein for $1.77 there is no way you could buy a relative size of chicken for that much which would be about 8 ounces not to mention the little bit spent on seasoning....so i mean to a point it does make sense to utilize a shake or two or whatever for a few reasons number 1 being convience and a short second being cost effective...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »

i also work full time 13 hour days and thats just how it goes...ive got it down to as little as possible and also something that alot of the guys who swear against them wont admit but it is cheaper to supplement with a few shakes a day then it is to buy whole food...think about ill use natures best isopure as my example since i drink that before and after workouts your getting 50 grams of protein for $1.77 there is no way you could buy a relative size of chicken for that much which would be about 8 ounces not to mention the little bit spent on seasoning....so i mean to a point it does make sense to utilize a shake or two or whatever for a few reasons number 1 being convience and a short second being cost effective...

Word. 50 grams from a shake is much cheaper than 50 grams from chicken.
I hate the State.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »
How many of you do actually use them?  I would love to stop using protein shakes but am stressed that I will start losing size.

Is there anybody on here that does not actually use them and is actually big?

you'll never know until you know.  It's not like muscle doesn't come back.  Try replacing your protein smoothies with whole food smoothies and see what happens.