Author Topic: Marvel Comics: every issue on one DVD  (Read 2821 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Marvel Comics: every issue on one DVD
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I was in a store yesterday and saw this for the first time.  You can now buy a DVD that contains the entire run of The Amazing Spiderman from the beginning thru 2006.  Ditto for the Xmen comic series, The Hulk, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Avengers, Ghost Rider!  This is way cool! 

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Complete-Comic-Collection/dp/B000HKIM7Q

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E28UT2/ref=pd_cp_sw_1?pf_rd_p=309530501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000HKIM7Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B0QF58T3GWG5D30FYP1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VW2RZ8/ref=pd_cp_sw_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0E2PVYARD2KM6XTTW2YP&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=309530501&pf_rd_i=B000E28UT2

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Marvel Comics: every issue on one DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
I have the Original Tom McFarlane Spideys and Jim Lee x men...nothing beats the smell of a comic book in Near Mint condition!
L

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »
I used to feel that way when I was younger, but as the collection got bigger, harder to store & transport—and as comics became more costly, I gave up that notion.

I haven’t bought/read comics since high school, I wouldn’t mind having 40 years worth of X-Men (or other titles) on one DVD!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
I have the Original Tom McFarlane Spideys and Jim Lee x men...nothing beats the smell of a comic book in Near Mint condition!

funny cause you said the same thing about your boyfriends dick
$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
so how does that work out reading it?

i dont think i care much for reading that stuff on my screen  :-\

Z

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
so how does that work out reading it?

i dont think i care much for reading that stuff on my screen  :-\

Millions of people watch videos online every day; they also read newspapers and magazines online.  Similarly, comic fans have been reading comics online with programs like "Comical"  "FFView", and others for years.  Anyone used to this will take to reading these comics in PDF on screen.

The consumer comments on Amazon tell the story...

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000E28UT2/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

but even some of them have to read with suspicion.  For example, one guy complains about constantly seeing the big digital MARVEL watermark on the center of every page, but he didn't bother to learn and/or post that the watermark is only evident if you are reading with a program like Preview (on the Mac); the watermark does not appear if you are reading with Adobe Reader.

My guess is, if you are used to reading documents online (or reading period) you will take right to it. If you're not used to reading things on your computer you would find it objectionable.  The product is obviously aimed at people who are comfortable reading things on their computers... btw, any page(s) from any issue can be printed like any other PDF file.

It's not the same, of course, but you can sample the digital comic service Marvel offers on their website.  I just did.  Not bad.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 05:11:03 AM »
Watching a video is one thing, reading PDF's another.

I do find it easier with a widescreen monitor. Guess it would be ideal with a laptop with a widescreen, unless the weight would be too much.

If it's EVERY issue it's pretty good, I assume a lot of those would be very hard and expensive to come by so that wouldn't even be an option.  :)
Z

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
Yes, I think it goes without saying that this is for people whom have big monitors.  Say, at least 24" or bigger.

Here's a sample of the digital comic service.

http://marvel.com/digitalcomics/hq/

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
yo if anybody gets some rapidshare links for this shit hook it up niiiiiiggggassss
$

Historian Yates

• Getbig V
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! & I'm a llama! & Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
I have the Mad Magazine DVD, and it's not bad, but it's not great either. I guess if you're curious or nostalgic it's not a bad way to check out the old issues.

But you can't really get lost in a PDF document the way you would having the actual issue in your hand.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »
I have the Mad Magazine DVD, and it's not bad, but it's not great either. I guess if you're curious or nostalgic it's not a bad way to check out the old issues.

But you can't really get lost in a PDF document the way you would having the actual issue in your hand.

I noticed that Mad Magazine is offering a similar product.  How big is your monitor?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »
just project that shit to the wall and make it 100"
Z

Barracuda

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Teeth in the Darkness
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
I've got almost all the marvel collections backed up on a number of DVD's. Haven't collected much of the DC sets but I'm aiming at completing my batman collection and bringing it up to date. There are plenty of  independent publishers that put out good stuff . Boom Studios, Archaia/Virgin.

With the amount of DCP releases on the web I haven't had the time to read even 5% of what i have.  I have a widescreen laptop so its perfect for reading digital comics + its good for having reading material while on a long flight.

Historian Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
I noticed that Mad Magazine is offering a similar product.  How big is your monitor?

It's just your basic 19" widescreen. I looked at it on a smaller monitor, too, and there wasn't a ton of difference.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
Casual computer users can make do--and be quite happy--with small monitors (20” or smaller) but anyone who sits in front of a monitor for more than an hour or two a day owes it to himself to get a 23” monitor or bigger!  The experience of using (and enjoying) your computer is dramatically different when you have a big monitor. 
My first computer had a tiny 12” monochrome screen (no graphics—just text).
My next computer used 15” color. 
Next I had a 19” color Sony monitor
Then I had 21” NEC color (that was a nice screen)

Now, I have a 24” flat panel; I also own a laptop (so I still know what it’s like to use a small screen).  I can tell you it is more than worth it to get a bigger screen. If you take and manipulate digital photos that alone justifies getting a 23" or bigger monitor.  A friend of mine has a 30” flat panel that I occasionally get to experience.  It's awesome, but the leap in price is hard to justify for anyone on a budget.  Even on a budget though a 24" is affordable.

Now that I have 40 years of X-Men. I can tell you it’s not worth getting if you have a small screen (23” or smaller).

Historian Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
I have my eye on some bigger monitors, but I just haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Probably when I build a new computer I'll step up in monitor.  In addition to doing all my work in front of a computer screen, I play a lot of racing simulators, so something a little better might give me an egde and make for a better experience.

I think I'm waiting for a good reason to build my over the top Vista PC. Sadly, I've yet to find a really good reason to upgrade from XP.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
Frequent computer users need three things: 
• a big monitor
• a comfortable chair (lumbar support, tilt, swivel, etc.) and
• good speakers

If you’re on a budget scrimp on the speakers, but spare no expense on the chair and monitor.  You spend too much time in the chair for it to be anything but the lap of luxury and when it comes to displays size really matters! 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
how can 30" be awesome?

your eyes would go all over the screen if you're sitting in arms reach of one, especially if its widescreen

doesnt sound comfortable to me with that reasonign 40" must be even better and lets not forget 50" now thats a perfect size for reading...

Z

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
how can 30" be awesome?

your eyes would go all over the screen if you're sitting in arms reach of one, especially if its widescreen

doesnt sound comfortable to me with that reasonign 40" must be even better and lets not forget 50" now thats a perfect size for reading...

Think.  When a monitor is big, you don't sit within an arm's reach of it.  I'm about 2 arm's lengths away from my 24".  When you use a 30" you sit even farther away.

You've obviously never spent much time with such a set up.  I have.  If I were allowed to buy a monitor that big, I would.  No one who has a 30" monitor ever complains that it is too big.  In fact, the exact opposite happens: using it spoils you for using smaller monitors.  :-[  Even with my 24 flatscreen I could never go back to a 19" screen.

btw, if any mafia members want to sample a digital issue of X-men or Spiderman send me an email.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
Think.  When a monitor is big, you don't sit within an arm's reach of it.  I'm about 2 arm's lengths away from my 24".  When you use a 30" you sit even farther away.

You've obviously never spent much time with such a set up.  I have.  If I were allowed to buy a monitor that big, I would.  No one who has a 30" monitor ever complains that it is too big.  In fact, the exact opposite happens: using it spoils you for using smaller monitors.  :-[  Even with my 24 flatscreen I could never go back to a 19" screen.

btw, if any mafia members want to sample a digital issue of X-men or Spiderman send me an email.

so hows getbig on that big screen working for you
Z