Author Topic: 70's build. What was so complicated?  (Read 18392 times)

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
Re: 70's build. What was so complicated?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 12:16:41 AM »
top amateur and pros today only compete once or twice a year.   

back then, the top amateurs would try to win all four major shows (Jr USA, Jr Am, USA, Am), then go on to the Worlds.

In the 80s, it was not unusual for IFBB pros to enter 6-10 shows a year.

I think what he's saying is that Pro's from the 70's "grew into" their contest shape, whereas the new trend is to be massive and slim down.
It's Hip to be Square!

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 12:18:07 AM »
Out of interest where did you read about it? Not doubting it but this is new information to me that GH was widely being used in the 70s and early 80s.

Read it on ironage.us; and again I know that you can't really believe what you read on message boards but some of those guys do seam to have first hand experience or have witnessed the actual event.

edit: sorry, i forgot to mention that I read the new thing back then was "monkey growth hormone" but I think i also heard that ended up being a bust.
It's Hip to be Square!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »
LOL, don't cruxify me dude. I'm just saying what I've read.

The GH in the late 70's was from corpses, as gh15 posted a couple spots after; and I read that Arnold and Franco were some of the first to start experimenting with it.

Arnold said many times that his steroid use was monitored by doctors, maybe they had him on prop at what was THEN considered a huge dose? I don't know, just speculating.
Also, Arnold was known for fucking everything that moves, do you think he's really be that horny all the time taking deca without any test?

Am I gong to have to give you some flowers too.  ;D OK, I have a friend who used to take tons of shit. Everything he could get his hands on. He never had a problem with sex drive. He was always baggin some girl whether he was on or not. Some guys are jsut like that.

The closest we are ever going to know for sure what Arnold did is to either talk to him or someone he knows. I have done the second. A far as Sergio goes, I have a friend who knows him well enough for Sergio to tell him what he took back in the 70's. Like I said in a previous post, it did not include test. During his comeback he did use tren and test. He admitted to this and coincidently a guy that used to post here who knew sergio said the same EXACT thing. As far as the GH goes we can only guess at best whether Arnold used it. Even if they did and I'm betting they didn't it had little or no effect on muscle growth.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »
They had GH in the 70's and 80's. They just used much lower doses compared to the monsters of today.

GH from adolescent cadavers was very difficult to get and very expensive.  A top pro might find enough to do a few IU for a few weeks, hardly enough to even notice.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
top amateur and pros today only compete once or twice a year.   

back then, the top amateurs would try to win all four major shows (Jr USA, Jr Am, USA, Am), then go on to the Worlds.

In the 80s, it was not unusual for IFBB pros to enter 6-10 shows a year.

I was speaking of Arnold, Zane, Robbie ect. in the 70's

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »
Am I gong to have to give you some flowers too.  ;D OK, I have a friend who used to take tons of shit. Everything he could get his hands on. He never had a problem with sex drive. He was always baggin some girl whether he was on or not. Some guys are jsut like that.

The closest we are ever going to know for sure what Arnold did is to either talk to him or someone he knows. I have done the second. A far as Sergio goes, I have a friend who knows him well enough for Sergio to tell him what he took back in the 70's. Like I said in a previous post, it did not include test. During his comeback he did use tren and test. He admitted to this and coincidently a guy that used to post here who knew sergio said the same EXACT thing. As far as the GH goes we can only guess at best whether Arnold used it. Even if they did and I'm betting they didn't it had little or no effect on muscle growth.

LOL, no need for flowers :D. It's just the internet and I like to read the stories so it's all good :D.

That's crazy, I had no idea Tren use started that long ago.  :o

Is it your opinion that the slim physiques of the Golden Age were because they avoided test or just used mild doses? I've read many times that the top bodybuilders back then were the guys who seamed to be immune to the side effects so I guess sexual dysfunction is obviously included in that.
It's Hip to be Square!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:15 AM »
Matt I thought you were smarter than that. READ my posts and you will see major differences.

Are you saying there was a "secret" of some sort?  I imagine they just trained hard, ate well, and used the best drugs available to them at the time - the same things the current crop does.  :)
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 12:31:21 AM »
LOL, no need for flowers :D. It's just the internet and I like to read the stories so it's all good :D.

That's crazy, I had no idea Tren use started that long ago.  :o

Is it your opinion that the slim physiques of the Golden Age were because they avoided test or just used mild doses? I've read many times that the top bodybuilders back then were the guys who seamed to be immune to the side effects so I guess sexual dysfunction is obviously included in that.

No, it is too much slin, Gh and food ect. but test could be added in there as a factor. BTW, the tren I mentioned was Parabolin. It was just longer acting ester.

johnnytosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 03:19:09 AM »
GH from adolescent cadavers was very difficult to get and very expensive.  A top pro might find enough to do a few IU for a few weeks, hardly enough to even notice.

Exactly Tim, "The Giant" obviously was not around back then.  The only people that used GH were very-very short people that were given it by their doctors.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
I can attest to what disgusted is saying from 2 other old 70's competitors, NO TEST
No emphasis on diet as we see it today
Probably more hard training though

All in all the conclusion for me is that we all overcomplicated things to a high degree, just fucking train, eat and take drugs period

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »
looked better than arnold? in my dreams maybe,, all i said is that i been at that level of development,,i never looked even half as good as arnold,,arnold and ron colman were 2 uniqe individuals among bodybuilders in the last century,,arnold now days would still win the o with the drugs available and ron colman ..no one will ever surpass him he is the absolut best bodybuilding will ever have to offer,,,from now on its only down grade size and trying to bring better condition which wil be very hard becausse ron had both

If genetics had nuthing to do with it why do you say Arnold and Ronnie were 2 unique bodybuilders?? Isnt that genetics?

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2008, 07:24:02 AM »
I can attest to what disgusted is saying from 2 other old 70's competitors, NO TEST
No emphasis on diet as we see it today
Probably more hard training though

All in all the conclusion for me is that we all overcomplicated things to a high degree, just fucking train, eat and take drugs period

I agree with the diet thing.From reading up, Arnold never bothered with this idea of 1.5-2g protein per pound of bodyweight rubbish.His was a very basic diet, none of that 8 meals a day, 60g protein evry meal stuff.Everything is way too complicated now and it doesnt need to be.Just train, eat decent with enough calories and live a little ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2008, 07:33:56 AM »
Arnold was strong, 2 and 3 plate a side barbell rows, 600lb+  deadlifts, 60lb db curls. So I say combination of genetics,  intense training and massive eating! And steroids when dieting
you consider 2 plate a side bb rows and 60 pound db curls strong? i'd hate to see what you condsider weak. ::)

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:31 AM »
you consider 2 plate a side bb rows and 60 pound db curls strong? i'd hate to see what you condsider weak. ::)
Correct me if im wrong but was his max BP 405
Arnold For President 2012.2016

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
Out of interest where did you read about it? Not doubting it but this is new information to me that GH was widely being used in the 70s and early 80s.

My recollection is that the first detailed info on natural GH use were mid-late 70s Muscle magazine articles featuring Pete Grymkowski. Inference from those articles suggested that other guys like Schwarzenegger, Robinson, etc. weren't using it, stuck to oral/injectible AAS cocktails.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
Correct me if im wrong but was his max BP 405
he never benched 4 plates.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »
Am I gong to have to give you some flowers too.  ;D OK, I have a friend who used to take tons of shit. Everything he could get his hands on. He never had a problem with sex drive. He was always baggin some girl whether he was on or not. Some guys are jsut like that.

You must mean this guy: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=70811.msg1041671#msg1041671
just push some weight!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2008, 07:55:14 AM »
L

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »
So looking at the pic of Arnold I'd say he's about 235 here at what, 6'2"? Other than genetics, what was responsible for all that mass? Was it drugs? There we'rent many to chose from. Was it diet? Heard these guys were big on meat and eggs. Did they eat every 2 hours? Did they weigh their food? Did they count protein, fats and carbs?  Was it training? Many of them did a lot of sets and reps. Was it supplements? What did they even have? Liver tabs? Maybe some Joe Weiders high protein peanut butter.  ;D

Mostly determination, arnold contacted tony robbins in that period of time, that could be one advantage he had over the rest. And just genetics and determiantion, rmember reading arnold wanted to be 5 pounds heavier, he ate the whole goddamn day just to tip the scale with 5 pounds more, had a crazy determination.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »
THERE was also maybe 2 magazines then and it seemed more of a brotherhood to them,most pics are in shorts no shirt or tees and there training like that,80's and on mostly heavy clothes to hide offseason shape or condition from fellow competitiors,too much rivalry and money involved today.but at least last 5 yrs or so internet is better than mags cause u get gym shots off bbers condition before shows and even day of.all the eras had there placed good and bad.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »
70's guys were doing mostly orals and deca, thats what gave them the full rounded smooth look which looks so great.

I like the look but to say they werent doing drugs is a  lie. In fact since they were doing so many orals they may have been jeopardizing their health more than the guys today.

Also, the orals affect your mental state, which explain a lot of craziies back then.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
So looking at the pic of Arnold I'd say he's about 235 here at what, 6'2"? Other than genetics, what was responsible for all that mass? Was it drugs? There we'rent many to chose from. Was it diet? Heard these guys were big on meat and eggs. Did they eat every 2 hours? Did they weigh their food? Did they count protein, fats and carbs?  Was it training? Many of them did a lot of sets and reps. Was it supplements? What did they even have? Liver tabs? Maybe some Joe Weiders high protein peanut butter.  ;D

Proteian straits from Weider's tap.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »
70's guys were doing mostly orals and deca, thats what gave them the full rounded smooth look which looks so great.

I like the look but to say they werent doing drugs is a  lie. In fact since they were doing so many orals they may have been jeopardizing their health more than the guys today.

Also, the orals affect your mental state, which explain a lot of craziies back then.

good post!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2008, 08:24:39 AM »

i think competitors would look better with around 9-10 percent bodyfat.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »
i think competitors would look better with around 9-10 percent bodyfat.

Thats interesting you say that squad, cause something else that wasn't mentioned is that competitors back then were not going into shows as lean or as shredded as competitors today, but they still looked good.