Author Topic: Creation museum selling 40,000 years old mastodon skull............what?  (Read 1299 times)

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
Creation museum selling mastodon skull

DALLAS - A Texas museum that teaches creationism is counting on the auction of a prehistoric mastodon skull to stave off extinction. The founder and curator of the Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum, which rejects evolution and claims that man and dinosaurs coexisted, said it will close unless the Volkswagen-sized skull finds a generous bidder.

"If it sells, well, then we can come another day," Joe Taylor said. "This is very important to our continuing."

Heritage Auction Galleries says the skull is estimated to be 40,000 years old, and projects it will fetch upward of $160,000. The artifact discovered in La Grange in 2004 is believed to be the largest of its kind, Heritage spokesman David Herskowitz said.

The auction will be held Sunday in Dallas, with bids accepted on the Internet until Saturday night.

"We're trying to reach out to someone who would buy it, then reach out to a museum in Texas," Herskowitz said.

Taylor said he would love to keep the skull of the elephant-like mammal as the centerpiece of his tiny museum just outside Lubbock, which includes creationist exhibits.

Claims on the museum's Web site include that Noah took dinosaurs aboard his ark. The prevailing scientific wisdom is that humans and dinosaurs missed each other by tens of millions of years.

Taylor said he's been financially crippled by about $136,000 he's been ordered to pay in a legal dispute over finder's rights to an Allosaurus skeleton unearthed in Colorado. About $141,000 has also been put into the mastodon skull's restoration, he said.

If the mastodon auction doesn't cover the judgment, Taylor said local authorities will seize his 10-year-old museum and sell off its contents in February.

Wait a minute: estimated to be 40,000 years old, how can this be? the earth is 6000 years old.

hey, i guess anything goes when you need money!                   is that a sin?

can i say owned, lollllll
are you delusional?

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Creation museum selling 40,000 years old mastodon skull............what?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:21:14 AM »
How dare they say a dinosaur skull is 40,000 years old? Don't they know that the entire universe was created in 4004 BC? Or do they just really hate the Word of God?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:54:28 AM »
Wait a minute: estimated to be 40,000 years old, how can this be? the earth is 6000 years old.

hey, i guess anything goes when you need money!                   is that a sin?

can i say owned, lollllll

The Bible does not say that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Not all Young Earth Creationists believe that the earth is 6,000 years old, only that it is thousands of years old and not millions.

Old Earth Creationists believe that the earth is millions of years old.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:26 AM »
I've been to creationist lectures by Dr. Kent Hovind--now serving an 11 year sentence for tax evasion.

The earth is old but mankind is 6000 years old.

But the 40,000 year statement does conflict with the 6000 year belief. 

Wow, I don't know what to think.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
The 6000 year thingy is an easy target, nonsense of course. The only reason why any christian organisation would actually support such idiocy is masochism. They obviously like to be punished. As if christian belief would collapse if humankind was older.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »
The Bible does not say that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Not all Young Earth Creationists believe that the earth is 6,000 years all, only that it is thousands of years old and not millions.

Old Earth Creationists believe that the earth is millions of years old.

Good post loco. 

In looking at Genesis 1:1-2, it does not say how long the earth was formless and empty - w/the "Spirit of God hovering over the waters."  In the past I always kind of thought our earth was young (thousands of years old), but I do see the possibility from the scriptures that it could be millions + years old.

Genesis 1:1-5

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.  4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

R

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »

my thread was about the nutcase, those who say the earth is 6000 years old.

are you delusional?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »
The 6000 year thingy is an easy target, nonsense of course. The only reason why any christian organisation would actually support such idiocy is masochism. They obviously like to be punished. As if christian belief would collapse if humankind was older.

Christians generally do...
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:33:22 PM »
Christians generally do...

Christians do not generally take the bible literally. You might have a point with the masochism, though  ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 12:08:29 AM »
Christians do not generally take the bible literally. You might have a point with the masochism, though  ;D

The ones in Amiland do.
I hate the State.