Author Topic: Quality Gyms...World Gym? Gold's Gym?  (Read 4735 times)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Quality Gyms...World Gym? Gold's Gym?
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:54 AM »
What were the quality gyms back in the 80s and 90s?
I don't know much about this history, but my impression was that Gold's was the "original" and remained hardcore for a pretty long time, and then along came World Gym which had even more equipment, and a more hardcore/BB atmosphere

Am I right? What's the story

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Re: Quality Gyms...World Gym? Gold's Gym?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:40:20 AM »
bump

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
both had great equipment.   what made the gyms special was seeing the top bodybuilders of the time.   so it was first Gold's, then World's.   Later, when World's moved to MDR, it became the place to see the old time bodybuilders.   And as the Venice neighborhood became expensive and gentrified, fewer and fewer up and coming bodybuilders could afford to live there.  Other gyms with just as much equipment started popping up elsewhere in soCal, so there was no longer one place where bodybuilders lived or worked out.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
So what's World Gym like today?

I mean the average World Gym you enter.

This is their old logo:

And this is their website: http://www.worldgym.com/

The Gorilla isn't there....  what has happened to the old school? Doesn't Arnold still own a big part of World Gym?

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:29:16 PM »
see...you can't even buy the old school "World Gym" gorilla sweater that Arnold sported in "The Running Man".

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

It's all about GOD'S GYM.

He died for you bitches!

;D

http://www.godtube.com/index.php

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
I used to go to the new world gym. It suck, it was lacking in equipment and was always packed. Very nice management tho. They "let" me break my contact for only $200 because i moved more the a 100 miles for a world gym. ::)
I like gold's. The best thing to do is to get a couple of free first days at different gyms, then compare. There is also a lot of quality  no-name gyms, that you can look for. These places can be nice just be sure your don't get one were the owners make up their only hours. This has happen to me 3 times in the past.  >:( I'm sticking with golds now.
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »
see...you can't even buy the old school "World Gym" gorilla sweater that Arnold sported in "The Running Man".
goggle is your friend ;D
http://www.x-tremebodybuilding.com/World_Gym_Bodybuilding_Workout_Clothing_s/1.htm
A

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
Yeah I bought one from bestforminc

Charcoal, XL - I went by chest measurement, but they seem to be a pretty baggy fit.

I'm not a big fan of muscle clothing...but hey...it's Arnold :D

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
you can't talk about franchises in the same way as the original.  There is only one Gold's Venice, and there was only one World's Gym run by Joe Gold (first in Venice, then a few miles away in Marina Del Rey).

Joe died and his World's is closed.  All the other World's are now part of Planet Fitness.

Gold's Venice has been bought and sold a few times, and now it is not much more than any other franchise.  Rumors still persist that when the current lease is up, they'll move to a smaller location in a cheaper part of town.  being 3 blocks from the beach is a bit expensive.

Moosejay

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
Montanari's Gold's Gym in New Haven, CT is still hardcore.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
you can't talk about franchises in the same way as the original.  There is only one Gold's Venice, and there was only one World's Gym run by Joe Gold (first in Venice, then a few miles away in Marina Del Rey).

Joe died and his World's is closed.  All the other World's are now part of Planet Fitness.

Gold's Venice has been bought and sold a few times, and now it is not much more than any other franchise.  Rumors still persist that when the current lease is up, they'll move to a smaller location in a cheaper part of town.  being 3 blocks from the beach is a bit expensive.

Actually the original Word Gym was on Main Street in Santa Monica, then Venice, then MDR.

As for Gold's moving, and to a smaller location, that would be about the dumbest thing they could do.

Is the lease expensive at 360 Hampton Drive??? Don't know. Don't know who owns the land, don't know how their lease is structured. But I do know that gym is more than likely the most profiable gym in the world-bar none.

In the 80's I asked Ed Connors why they did not just buy the building, for the exact reason you have stated, too much $$$$$ to spend down the road.....he said it made more sense to lease at that time. Typically on any gym lease you lock in decades of options, usually in 5 or 10 year increments. That is what Gold's has done, how long I don't know.

So even though they may save money on a lease in another area of town on the short term, it would lose money in the long term, being that Gold's Venice is a gold mine/flagship gym.

Now, having seen the changes that the Gold's ownership the last 7 years have made, and the catostraphic mistakes that have been made (Conners and Grymko ran Gold's Enetrprises 100's of times BETTER than either of the 2 subsequent owners), I can see some stupid idiot bean counter making such a boneheaded move.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 03:58:18 AM »

I dunno, Johnny - the latest Gold's Venice is little more than Bally's with a different face. 

The hardcore athletes who still train there seem to do so more out of loyalty or 'just because' than the fact that it's actually a great place for them to train.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 04:15:38 AM »
How the mighty have fallen.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
Look for Gold's Venice to move.  The rent has been raised to around $80,000 a month.  The lease was expiring this year or next not sure and have no idea if they renewed.  But I doubt it.  The owner of the building was contacted about a possible partnership in the gym and he declined.  I can't remember his name.  They have already moved most of the corporate to Texas.  They have ruined a great thing.  The new owners (TRT Holdings) know nothing about the industry.  The have some fancy college guy running the place.  Try to get ahold of someone at corporate about franchising.  They don't even have regular office.  They work out of their homes most of the time.  They have raised the franchise fee by so much the franchisees are forced to sell to corporate.  As a business they are running it to make a large amount of money when they decided to go public.  They own the Omni Hotel chain.