Author Topic: Real Bodybuilding Characters and What They Did to Become That Way  (Read 2212 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I guess we all know characters in the world of bodybuilding that we like to talk about when the subject comes up.

Since I brought it up, I'll tell you all about the biggest and kindest bodybuilding character I've even met.

A few years back I had the opportunity to meet a great bodybuilder in his early 20's who lived, slept, and dreamed in and about the BB world 24/7.

When he was much younger and in grammer school, his super-hero was Superman and he asked his mom to make him a Superman costume for Halloween.

After that night of trick or treating, he decided that he'd wear that costume every day, but his mom convinced him that wearing a Superman costume to school each day would cause him some embarrassment and lots of troubles.

So he thought about that and came up with a plan. A simple plan that took him to the local Goodwill Store where he bought a two piece suit that fit, a nice white long sleeve shirt, a red and blue neck-tie, and a pair of glasses that made him see things differently but not too clearly, so he only wore them in public and tried to see the world over the top whenever possible.

So now he had the suit and accessories to wear over his Superman costume and he could wear that clothing combination each day without being rediculed, because no one would redicule something they knew nothing about.

And all went well because it was winter and all that clothing kept him nice and warm. And he was comfortable being "Superman".

But warm and humid days follow winter seasons and the warmer the days, the more the human body tends to sweat, especially when you're wearing more  layers of clothes than is necessary.

But he was determined not to reveal his "true" identity so he suffered the heat and the humidity and terrific body odor. And soon he was only responding to the name of "Clark".

And still, no one caught on.

He even knew the location of every telephone booth in his neighborhood. But he never had to use one.

ANd this went on for a couple of years until it became unbearable and he decided to fold up his Superman suit and take up bodybuilding instead.

And once more his dedication as a super-hero enabled him to be one of the best built kids in the neighborhood. Now he actually felt like Superman and it felt great.

Many years after, I met him and we became good friends. We talked about what we felt was important in our lives and who was close and who was the enemy, and stuff like how come evil exists and why kids go hungry in foreign countries. Simple talk from simple talking lifting friends.

On one occasion, it was a hot and humid day and he told me, "I want to tell you who I really thought I was as a kid in grammer school!". And he told me his Superman story. And then he kind of teared up, and told me that he wanted to tell all his friends not to take steroids or other drugs because all his friends, in his eyes, were the real Superheros and superheros never ever do drugs.

ANd then he became a totally different person right in front of my eyes  and told me about his best friend back home dieing from drug abuse and proceeded to give me a brilliant medical explanation  of the whole sordid affair and all the bad guys back in his home town who were leading his superhero friends astray.

And then he became his usual self again just as swiftly as his change to "brillance", and said, "Let's go lift some heavy weights like Superman used to do when I was a kid!"

Sam went back home shortly after and I haven't heard from him since, but I am sure that he is someone's Super-hero someplace doing as good as he can for his friends and the sake of mankind.

PS ... the above is a true story and I'm darn proud to call him a life-long friend even though I only knew him for a couple of summer months.

I know other BB characters but this is one I'll never forget.

cgcgraded

• Getbig II
Re: Real Bodybuilding Characters and What They Did to Become That Way
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »
too much to read.....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:10:27 PM »
Thanks, cgc. I'll provide Cliff Notes when I get some free time.

Good comment though! I do write long sentences!

CLIFF NOTE version:

Young kid's mom makes a Superman costume for his Halloween costume.
He wears it for two years under his Clark Kent suit and no one in his grammer school knows it. (Cept for his body odor, of course!)
He grows out of that mode and starts bodybuilding successfully.
I meet him a few years later and we become good friends and he confesses to me about his Superman episode and tells me the story about his best friend's trouble with drugs and eventual death.
He leaves my home town and I never hear from him again but I believe he it doing good and heroic things for all his friends and mankind.

Cliff Note Questions:
Who was he for Halloween?
How long did he wear the Superman suit?
What did he do after placing his Superman suit in moth-balls?
His best friend had trouble with _______ ?
What do I think he is doing now-a-days?

Thanks, cgc, but even these Cliff Notes seem too long!

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:29:26 AM »
great story but I had to do a few bonghits to finish it.   

Real touching about him wearing that Batman suit.  Or was it PlasticMan...

Moosejay

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
Great story, and I read it without bong hits or cliff notes