Author Topic: Former IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Shelley Beattie Dead at Age 39, Suicide  (Read 43630 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
Another bodybuilder enters the bodybuilding dead pool too young.

Former IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Shelley Beattie Dead at Age 39
Sunday, February 17th, 2008

Dave Palumbo of Muscular Development reports that former IFBB Pro Bodybuilder and former American Gladiator Shelley Beattie died on February 13, 2008. She was 39 years old.

Beattie played “Siren” on the original American Gladiators series (not be confused with Valerie Waugaman who plays “Siren” in the current series). Beattie was one of very few and the most accomplished deaf female professional bodybuilders. She was an actress who appeared in the movie Hot Shots! Part Deaux that starred Charlie Sheen. She was formerly married to John Romano, senior editor for Muscular Development Magazine.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/blog/2008/02/17/former-ifbb-pro-bodybuilder-shelley-beattie-dead-at-age-39/

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Former IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Shelley Beattie Dead at Age 39
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
what was the cause, i don't feel like clicking on the link?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »
I'm not going to say it..

R.I.P

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=23554

From John Romano:

As you can well imagine Shelley’s family is devastated by her passing. They have requested that they be left to morn this deep personal tragedy in peace. They want you to know that in recent months Shelley had fallen gravely ill. She fought like the champion she was until she could fight no more, and passed away quietly last week.

I will always remember Shelley as a magnificent human being with an innocent childlike quality that everyone loved. She made a difference to everyone she touched and motivated so many people who were challenged. As “Siren” on the American Gladiators, Shelly showed thousands of challenged kids and adults that it is okay to be different. She always said, “the only thing I can’t do is hear.” And she was right.

I’ll never forget her streaking across the ceiling of Gladiator Arena upside down on “Sky Track” during the taping of Gladiators. She set the record in that event and it was never broken. Or, as a grinder in the sailing yacht America Cubed racing for the Americas Cup. The first time I took her rock climbing she flashed a 5.7 pitch with her shoe laces untied. No one could believe it. One of our climbing buddies was also a world-class Olympic kayaker training for the Olympic team. He thought Shelley might like to try her hand at Olympic kayaking. We met up at the training dock in Marina del Rey one afternoon and Shelley got into his kayak that was pulled up along the dock. She pushed off and started paddling rather briskly down the channel. I looked over at our climbing buddy/Olympic kayaker and his eyes were transfixed in disbelief. In 20 years he had never seen anyone do that. When I got into the next boat I found out why – they are insanely unstable! I fell over 50 times and gave up while Shelley did speed laps up and down the channel keeping right up our friend. We got a call from the Olympic training center the next day asking to see her.

But, as a bodybuilder, Shelley really shined. I think Shelley embodied the last of the Corey era. Her physique was ranked 3rd in the world. And her thumping hip-hop routine got her a standing ovation at the 93 Olympia. I’ll never forget Lenda Murray telling me after she won in 92 that when she saw Shelley out of her sweat suit for the first time back stage she said, “oh no, Shelley is on!” She was too. What a sight to see Shelley, Lenda and Laura Creval being compared on stage. I’ve never been so proud.

We are putting together a tribute to Shelley for the next issue of MD to remember this amazing woman. Let’s never forget Shelley “Siren” Beattie. Keep her memory alive.

In respecting the family’s privacy, please send your condolence in the form of a donation in Shelley’s name to Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002.

I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat….
and keep moving!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
it doesn't say what the cause was.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

It says a long sickness, so my guess is cancer obviously.
Man I don't want to die of fuckin cancer, ever seen somebody "fade" away? it's horrible to say the least.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:16:58 PM »
I remember her, she was on the American gladiators with Gemini and Thunder when I was about 12...

I don't like people dieing!

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »
I don't like people dieing!

You'll have to get used to it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
I think I read somewhere that she suffered from bipolar disorder

Whatever the cause she was much too young

RIP

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
This is truly sad news.... rip

This is from an interview with John Romano I did...

Who is Shelly?

Shelly Beattie.  She was my most significant relationship before Suzanne. Shelly was a bodybuilder, she won the NPC USA’s. I met Shelly at the Arnold Classic, where I was training Tonya Knight in 1991. Tonya has won the year before, where she beat Anja Shreiner, and the next year she came back, she didn’t do too well. Leaving the hotel at the Arnold, I met Shelly at the lobby. And we shared a cab to the airport.  She was also on my same flight to California, and she had too many bags, so I offered to check one for her, and we ended up seating next to each other, and we hung out. Next thing you know, we ended up living together, training together, and getting her ready for the Ms. Olympia, where she took third place.  I eventually quit my job, and became Shelly’s manager, and also had started by then to write for Muscular Development.  Tonya Knight was an American Gladiator, she was Gold, and she told me to bring Shelly out for a tryout, and I did, introduced her to the producer, and next thing you know, she was hired, and her name became Siren.  As for Tonya Knight, we were just friends. I actually introduced her to the guy that she got married for a while.  We were living in California, and they were doing the tv show in the San Fernando Valley, and the show ended in 1995. Around the same time, a guy named Bill Cook said he was going to create a team of all women to race for the America’s cup in sailing. I had heard about it from John Parillo, and we went down there to check it out.  It turns out I met Lou Ferrigno’s cousin Roc, who was on Dennis Connor’s team at the gym one day, and he said that you have to come down, hang out with us at the compound, come sailing with us. At the same time, I brought Shelly to this tryout for this all women’s team, and they ended up hiring her. So we had to move to San Diego, and do this sailing thing for a year and a half.  For a short while, I was on Dennis Conner’s team, and she was on Bill Cook’s team. After that ended, we got offered to do the live show, so we went to Orlando to do the American Gladiator’s live show.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
"I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat…." - John Romano.

Now I understand why MD signed Kai Greene.  :-\
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:45:23 AM »
"I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat…." - John Romano.

That was in poor taste.

Get it? Poor taste?
BigNationRadio.com

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »

:-X :-X :-X :-X

;D

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:52 AM »
RIP  :(
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
That was in poor taste.

Get it? Poor taste?

ROFL!  ;D
Bodybuilding Pro.com

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 02:09:42 AM »
She was the most beautiful bber in my opinion and had a great physique too.
She a magnificent smile, warm glance, I almost cried when learned she's gone for good...
Death sucks...
RIP Shelley "Beauty"...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 03:10:17 AM »
http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=23554

From John Romano:

As you can well imagine Shelley’s family is devastated by her passing. They have requested that they be left to morn this deep personal tragedy in peace. They want you to know that in recent months Shelley had fallen gravely ill. She fought like the champion she was until she could fight no more, and passed away quietly last week.

I will always remember Shelley as a magnificent human being with an innocent childlike quality that everyone loved. She made a difference to everyone she touched and motivated so many people who were challenged. As “Siren” on the American Gladiators, Shelly showed thousands of challenged kids and adults that it is okay to be different. She always said, “the only thing I can’t do is hear.” And she was right.

I’ll never forget her streaking across the ceiling of Gladiator Arena upside down on “Sky Track” during the taping of Gladiators. She set the record in that event and it was never broken. Or, as a grinder in the sailing yacht America Cubed racing for the Americas Cup. The first time I took her rock climbing she flashed a 5.7 pitch with her shoe laces untied. No one could believe it. One of our climbing buddies was also a world-class Olympic kayaker training for the Olympic team. He thought Shelley might like to try her hand at Olympic kayaking. We met up at the training dock in Marina del Rey one afternoon and Shelley got into his kayak that was pulled up along the dock. She pushed off and started paddling rather briskly down the channel. I looked over at our climbing buddy/Olympic kayaker and his eyes were transfixed in disbelief. In 20 years he had never seen anyone do that. When I got into the next boat I found out why – they are insanely unstable! I fell over 50 times and gave up while Shelley did speed laps up and down the channel keeping right up our friend. We got a call from the Olympic training center the next day asking to see her.

But, as a bodybuilder, Shelley really shined. I think Shelley embodied the last of the Corey era. Her physique was ranked 3rd in the world. And her thumping hip-hop routine got her a standing ovation at the 93 Olympia. I’ll never forget Lenda Murray telling me after she won in 92 that when she saw Shelley out of her sweat suit for the first time back stage she said, “oh no, Shelley is on!” She was too. What a sight to see Shelley, Lenda and Laura Creval being compared on stage. I’ve never been so proud.

We are putting together a tribute to Shelley for the next issue of MD to remember this amazing woman. Let’s never forget Shelley “Siren” Beattie. Keep her memory alive.

In respecting the family’s privacy, please send your condolence in the form of a donation in Shelley’s name to Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002.

I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat….
RIP

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 03:35:38 AM »
She was the most beautiful bber in my opinion and had a great physique too.
She a magnificent smile, warm glance, I almost cried when learned she's gone for good...
Death sucks...
RIP Shelley "Beauty"...
Agree  :(

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »

By the looks of her pics on google, I'd say the usual suspect. Heart disease from the sauce. Just like the rest of them. I'm just speculating of course but I'll bet Stark might agree...

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:53 AM »
By the looks of her pics on google, I'd say the usual suspect. Heart disease from the sauce. Just like the rest of them. I'm just speculating of course but I'll bet Stark might agree...
It HAS to be juice.  C'mon what about disease,disasters (Car wrecks etc.),and sickness.  Just save the "It has to be juice" shit.  We dont need another Stark 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 06:44:48 AM »
R.I.P.

She was an amazing athlete...

8)

john lassen

• Getbig I
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »
Very sad to hear,one of three Oregon woman bodybuilders who made it to the olympia stage no longer with us,very sad.Obituary in the paper today StatesmanJournal.com

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
Shelley Anne Beattie
August 24, 1967 - February 16, 2008

Shelley Beattie passed away on February 16, 2008. She was born in Santa Ana, California and moved with her family to Oregon when she was 11 years old. She attended schools  and  college  in  Monmouth, Oregon.

Shelley was an inspiration to many and especially to the deaf community as she attained celebrity status in her 20's. The last 10 years of her life she lived in Salem and worked as a caregiver. She always was a very caring and loving person to all and could light up a room with her energy and smile. Her joy in life was her artwork, her drums, her animals, her earth, and her life partner Julie Moisa.

Shelley  is  survived  by  Julie; parents,  Jack  Beattie  and  Laura Mitchell;  sister,  Teresa  Keizur; brothers, Jim and Matt Beattie; grandmother, Velda Jirges; step-parents, Sharyl Beattie and Bud Mitchell; 4 nephews;  aunts and uncles;  a large extended family; and her Native American Spiritual Family.

A  celebration  of  life  in  the Lakota tradition, a Native American Ceremony will be held for 24 hours starting  at  12 noon  on  Saturday, February 23 and continuing through Sunday noon. Come anytime for this celebration between these hours. This celebration will be held at 2595 65th Ave. SE in Salem.

Source: http://online.statesmanjournal.com/obituaries/obituary.cfm?i=37087

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
Shelley Anne Beattie
August 24, 1967 - February 16, 2008

Shelley Beattie passed away on February 16, 2008. She was born in Santa Ana, California and moved with her family to Oregon when she was 11 years old. She attended schools  and  college  in  Monmouth, Oregon.

Shelley was an inspiration to many and especially to the deaf community as she attained celebrity status in her 20's. The last 10 years of her life she lived in Salem and worked as a caregiver. She always was a very caring and loving person to all and could light up a room with her energy and smile. Her joy in life was her artwork, her drums, her animals, her earth, and her life partner Julie Moisa.

Shelley  is  survived  by  Julie; parents,  Jack  Beattie  and  Laura Mitchell;  sister,  Teresa  Keizur; brothers, Jim and Matt Beattie; grandmother, Velda Jirges; step-parents, Sharyl Beattie and Bud Mitchell; 4 nephews;  aunts and uncles;  a large extended family; and her Native American Spiritual Family.

A  celebration  of  life  in  the Lakota tradition, a Native American Ceremony will be held for 24 hours starting  at  12 noon  on  Saturday, February 23 and continuing through Sunday noon. Come anytime for this celebration between these hours. This celebration will be held at 2595 65th Ave. SE in Salem.

Source: http://online.statesmanjournal.com/obituaries/obituary.cfm?i=37087

By life partner do they mean lesbian partner?  Didnt know she was a lesbian
A

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
It HAS to be juice.  C'mon what about disease,disasters (Car wrecks etc.),and sickness.  Just save the "It has to be juice" shit.  We dont need another Stark 

Since no cause of death was listed, what do you think it was? A tornado?