Author Topic: An open letter to rogue cops.  (Read 2543 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: An open letter to rogue cops.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »

2. Don't break the law.  It is really that easy.  If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Yep. 

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »

2. Don't break the law.  It is really that easy.  If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

It ISN'T easy.  Do you realize how many non-violent offenses there are that can land you in prison?  Prison sentences are entirely too long in this country.  Having a criminal record makes you virtually unemployable, despite you having paid your debt back to society.  Crime will continue to get worse as the US continues to enlargen a population that is unemployable and poor which in turn destroys communities and families.  Prison in many cases does not solve any problem, but only heightens it.

I was not holding all LEO to NO's standards..I was just using one example.  However, let's not kid ourselves...NO is not a sole exception as I'm sure many cities are rife with corruption, as it is with all various departments.  In addition, you can damn well duck a polygraph.  Polys can also work against you, as they had done against me.  I failed the poly on the "have you ever smoked marijuana?" question when applying to BSO as a detention deputy.  I was stunned at the result, as I've never even smoked a cigarette in my life.  I knew that would disqualify me from the position, but I did eventually petition the upper echelons of BSO and was eventually hired.  That's why polygraphs are often thrown out in court...they have proven to be unreliable.

Yes, there are many more good cops than bad cops. However, that one bad cop can stain the entire department, if not the city.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:43 AM »
It ISN'T easy.  Do you realize how many non-violent offenses there are that can land you in prison?  Prison sentences are entirely too long in this country.  Having a criminal record makes you virtually unemployable, despite you having paid your debt back to society.  Crime will continue to get worse as the US continues to enlargen a population that is unemployable and poor which in turn destroys communities and families.  Prison in many cases does not solve any problem, but only heightens it.

I was not holding all LEO to NO's standards..I was just using one example.  However, let's not kid ourselves...NO is not a sole exception as I'm sure many cities are rife with corruption, as it is with all various departments.  In addition, you can damn well duck a polygraph.  Polys can also work against you, as they had done against me.  I failed the poly on the "have you ever smoked marijuana?" question when applying to BSO as a detention deputy.  I was stunned at the result, as I've never even smoked a cigarette in my life.  I knew that would disqualify me from the position, but I did eventually petition the upper echelons of BSO and was eventually hired.  That's why polygraphs are often thrown out in court...they have proven to be unreliable.

Yes, there are many more good cops than bad cops. However, that one bad cop can stain the entire department, if not the city.

1. You mean like money laundering or embezzlement?  Those are worthy of jail time.  Tough shit.  Any offense you think you cannot avoid?  Due tell.

2.  I know how polygrpahs are and for LEO you can retake a poly.  Some people do bad with them and most agree they are shit but you never really know a person until they are on the job. That is a sad fact but a reality nontheless.

3.  Don't let your personal bias about one officer in one city cloud your judgement about police in general.  That's like saying you hate all blacks because of one bad experience with a black dude.
Squishy face retard

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
2. Don't break the law.  It is really that easy.  .

no it isn't....I mean that is a valid statement for the most part, but not always.

I have been cuffed and searched on 3 occasions where I did nothing wrong. Never in any of those 3 instances was I given so much as a ticket or a warning ,so it wasn't traffic offenses. It was COPS on a power trip. I work strange hours so I am on the road in the early morning hours many times. They assume anyone out that time of night is up to no good so they pull me over to check. They have never so much as mentioned anything about my driving..it was always along the lines of "What are you doing out this time of night?" That part of it might  be somewhat justified however cuffing me and searching the car is not.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
  no it isn't....I mean that is a valid statement for the most part, but not always.

I have been cuffed and searched on 3 occasions where I did nothing wrong. Never in any of those 3 instances was I given so much as a ticket or a warning ,so it wasn't traffic offenses. It was COPS on a power trip. I work strange hours so I am on the road in the early morning hours many times. They assume anyone out that time of night is up to no good so they pull me over to check. They have never so much as mentioned anything about my driving..it was always along the lines of "What are you doing out this time of night?" That part of it might  be somewhat justified however cuffing me and searching the car is not.
In my experience, detaining a suspect is for officer safety first.  I was on a ride-along with a sergeant who was just transporting a girl to her parents at another local station.  He cuffed her and told her it was for his safety because she could shoot us from the back seat if she wanted to.  They don't know if you have something and if they suspect you do, they are certainly not going to give the opportunity to run or hurt them. 

I understand your POV and there is my .02
Squishy face retard

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
     I was recently pulled over and kind of harrassed by a punk/guido suburban cop. He had me step out of the car and asked me if i'd been drinking, probably because I wasn't being quite as friendly as most of the soccer-moms he pulls over in that neck of the woods. I dont even drink. He actually tried to get me to follow his little pen with "just my eyes" as a test. Instead, I blew out a huge breath an inch from his fat face and said "smell any alcohol?!, put your little pen away." and just smiled and gave him a real condecending look. He actually backed off and started talking normal and saying he's just doing his job. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or anything but your right about these cops running wild and it isn't just an inner city thing.
     I've been taken to lockup and held on $1k bond for tapping someones bumper at a traffic light. I was IN FRONT and it was on a hill. When I clutched, the bitch behind me was an inch from my bumper and we barely tapped. I actually waited for a few seconds to see if she reacted. She kept driving. I pulled away only to notice her following me while on the phone. I pulled over at the nearest parking lot and stepped out. She didn't stop. Minutes later I'm pulled over, ordered out of my car and asked if I had just been in an accident. I was actually charged with evading responsibility. There was no visible damage not even a scuff on my bumper and my car was brand new that years model. These cops and these cop-calling suburbanites up here feed off each-others negative energy to the point where its just irrational.
lol i bet you did and then he took his night stick and shoved it up your ass and attached his tazer to you nads, you tool ;D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 05:06:42 AM »
In my experience, detaining a suspect is for officer safety first.  I was on a ride-along with a sergeant who was just transporting a girl to her parents at another local station.  He cuffed her and told her it was for his safety because she could shoot us from the back seat if she wanted to.  They don't know if you have something and if they suspect you do, they are certainly not going to give the opportunity to run or hurt them. 

I understand your POV and there is my .02

completely understandable if I had actually given them a reason to suspect me of anything. My opinion is they ran my plate, discovered I had been arrested for DUI in the past(1999) and figured the odds were good I may be drunk. Understandable given the hour of night/ morning...BUT ONCE IT WAS CLEAR i WASN'T INTOXICATED THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END OF IT....and I always was respectful and polite..never gave em attitude..I know the cuffs were for their safety while they searched but my position is they had no reason to search. I do not think I would have ever been searched had I not had an arrest record. Oh well, like I said most are just doing their job and we would be much worse off without them for sure. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »
  completely understandable if I had actually given them a reason to suspect me of anything. My opinion is they ran my plate, discovered I had been arrested for DUI in the past(1999) and figured the odds were good I may be drunk. Understandable given the hour of night/ morning...BUT ONCE IT WAS CLEAR i WASN'T INTOXICATED THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END OF IT....and I always was respectful and polite..never gave em attitude..I know the cuffs were for their safety while they searched but my position is they had no reason to search. I do not think I would have ever been searched had I not had an arrest record. Oh well, like I said most are just doing their job and we would be much worse off without them for sure. 
something else you have to realize about the "attitude" i  cant speak for everyone,but when i put on my uniform i automaticly assume evreyone is a liar,until i have enough evidence to support what they are telling me is the truth i just look at everyone as a guilty party.

you may think this is wrong,but in this line of work you trust no one.dont get me wrong i dont act like a dick usually but in the end i do what is right.

bench

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
  This is hardly "lib bullshit", Skoontz. Have you been watching the news lately? The word "tazer" seems to come up a lot.

Due to people not complying with simple orders.

Just comply and be formal. Most cops appreciate that.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »

"Complying with orders"?

Assuming I haven't broken any laws...  what right does a cop have to issue me "orders"?   Was I drafted into the military at some point and not told about it?
Ron: "I am lazy."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
"Complying with orders"?
Assuming I haven't broken any laws...  what right does a cop have to issue me "orders"?   Was I drafted into the military at some point and not told about it?

No shit.  I want a supervisor here now and I want this all videotaped.  I want to go home.  Charge me or release me.  It's a big deal now.

I think as you get older, this doesn't happen anymore.  They know that if they embarass and harass a grown man who's trying to get home to his family, they might have a lawyer/ media/ website all about them in the AM.  A kid in teens or young 20s will go home and do nothing.  I'm the furthest thing from being sue-happy.  But if a cop violates my civil rights, yeah, I'm going to sue.  He has a higher responsibility to society not to abuse that power.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »

hhahahahaha  Wait and see how that works out for you when you eventually get busted with your weed and whatever else you take.  ::) AFTER you have been in trouble once, you will find they treat you much differently than they do others. Even if you have done nothing wrong.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »
No shit.  I want a supervisor here now and I want this all videotaped.  I want to go home.  Charge me or release me.  It's a big deal now.

I think as you get older, this doesn't happen anymore.  They know that if they embarass and harass a grown man who's trying to get home to his family, they might have a lawyer/ media/ website all about them in the AM.  A kid in teens or young 20s will go home and do nothing.  I'm the furthest thing from being sue-happy.  But if a cop violates my civil rights, yeah, I'm going to sue.  He has a higher responsibility to society not to abuse that power.

lol...never stops them from harassing me. I'm 33.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
  lol...never stops them from harassing me. I'm 33.  :)

what kind of car do you drive?  Might play into it as well.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »

4WD Chevrolet CREW CAB Dually.;

I think it jhappens mostly because  I work in INDIANAPOLIS and I am out on the roads late at night. My lunch break is at 2:30 am. There is a titty bar right across the street from my work so lots of cops on patrole.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
ahh gotcha.  makes sense.