Author Topic: Pre/During/Post Workout  (Read 1488 times)

jbravo103

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Pre/During/Post Workout
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
What do you think about using a hydolysate protein supplement (AST VP2) for pre/during/post workout?  Supposedly the hydrolysate protein gets digested much fast than other types of protein.  I can see using it for post workout, but usually I just drink something like CytoMax and a few BCAA caps 15 min. b/f my workout, and just cytomax during the workout.  I read somewhere that said taking whey protein during training doesn't do any good since its not used for an energy source and doesn't get digested for 1-2 hrs.

Thanks.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Pre/During/Post Workout
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
What do you think about using a hydolysate protein supplement (AST VP2) for pre/during/post workout?  Supposedly the hydrolysate protein gets digested much fast than other types of protein.  I can see using it for post workout, but usually I just drink something like CytoMax and a few BCAA caps 15 min. b/f my workout, and just cytomax during the workout.  I read somewhere that said taking whey protein during training doesn't do any good since its not used for an energy source and doesn't get digested for 1-2 hrs.

Thanks.

Post workout, it's a great idea.

Pre-workout, that would work pretty well.

During the workout: While it certanly can't hurt, I think amino acids would work better. Since I don't care for the horse pills, I go with 60 ml (cc) of liquid amino acids (either BodyTech's brand or TwinLab's Amino Fuel).

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
hey mcway those liquid amino have all the bcaas? and is it flavored?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
DURING WORKOUT: BCAA Powders (Xtend)

Dont drink your whey while you are working out. And unless you are an endurance athelete, cut the Cytomax during as well. Get the carbs after workout with whey.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:03 AM »
hey mcway those liquid amino have all the bcaas? and is it flavored?

Last time I checked, the BCAAs are leucine, isoleucine, and valine, all of which the liquid aminos have. As for flavors, BodyTech is supposed to be orange-flavored; I don't know what Amino Fuel is supposed to be, but it doesn't taste that good. Fortunately, mixed with a creatine-dextrose product and some WaxiMaize, you can barely detect it.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
Last time I checked, the BCAAs are leucine, isoleucine, and valine, all of which the liquid aminos have. As for flavors, BodyTech is supposed to be orange-flavored; I don't know what Amino Fuel is supposed to be, but it doesn't taste that good. Fortunately, mixed with a creatine-dextrose product and some WaxiMaize, you can barely detect it.

my bad i didnt type the question correctly what is the ratio of the bcaas leucine isolucine and valine just wondering

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »
my bad i didnt type the question correctly what is the ratio of the bcaas leucine isolucine and valine just wondering

Both BodyTech Liquid Aminos and Amino Fuel read something like this.

Per 45 mL serving:

Leucine - 900 mg

Isoleucine - 377 mg

Valine - 521 mg

Since I have 60-cc (ml) scoops from all of those jugs of Whey Tech, I usually fill one of those. That would make my serving of amino have 1200, 500, and 690 mg, of the respective BCAAs.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
Tang JE et. al.  Minimal whey protein with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise in trained young men.  Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007 Dec;32(6):1132-1138.

Whey protein is a supplemental protein source often used by athletes, particularly those aiming to gain muscle mass; however, direct evidence for its efficacy in stimulating muscle protein synthesis (MPS) is lacking. We aimed to determine the impact of consuming whey protein on skeletal muscle protein turnover in the post-exercise period. Eight healthy resistance-trained young men (age = 21 +/- 1 .0 years; BMI = 26.8 +/- 0.9 kg/m2 (means +/- SE)) participated in a double-blind randomized crossover trial in which they performed a unilateral leg resistance exercise workout (EX: 4 sets of knee extensions and 4 sets of leg press; 8-10 repetitions/set; 80% of maximal), such that one leg was not exercised and acted as a rested (RE) comparator. After exercise, subjects consumed either an isoenergetic whey protein plus carbohydrate beverage (WHEY: 10 g protein and 21 g fructose) or a carbohydrate-only beverage (CHO: 21 g fructose and 10 g maltodextran). Subjects received pulse-tracer injections of l-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine and l-[15N]phenylalanine to measure MPS. Exercise stimulated a rise in MPS in the WHEY-EX and CHO-EX legs, which were greater than MPS in the WHEY-RE leg and the CHO-RE leg (all p < 0.05), respectively. The rate of MPS in the WHEY-EX leg was greater than in the CHO-EX leg (p < 0.001). We conclude that a small dose (10 g) of whey protein with carbohydrate (21 g) can stimulate a rise in MPS after resistance exercise in trained young men that would be supportive of a positive net protein balance, which, over time, would lead to hypertrophy.
:

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
I would most definetly suggest pre during and post but the most important is the during.  just remember breaking down protein takes a lot of energy so always go with a powder or liquid I suggest liquid it enters the blood stream the quickest I use dymatize

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
Or just do what big Ron Coleman does, go eat 2 chicken breasts with some beans, rice and cornbread at the Black Eyed Pea restaurant after you lift. I would bet he doesn't time his specific consumption of those meals either, and he seems to have done okay for himself 8)

He does that about 30 minutes after he finishes his workout (where his food is pre-ordered at that restaurant). However, he does have a post-workout shake immediately after he's done.

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
post workout carbs are not really all that important. I agree. :D

1 point for candidate

Wow this is the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on here