Author Topic: Is Oprah the most powerful person in America?  (Read 17078 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Is Oprah the most powerful person in America?
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »
She's about to give us President Obama? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Is Oprah the most powerful person in America?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
She's about to give us President Obama? 
are you kidding?  She bumped him at an important point, but it's been all Obama since that.  Huckabee got one hell of a bump from Chuck, which I underestimated at the time.  Anyway, It's not like Oprah is on the touring with Obama.  If he becomes president, I think saying Oprah delivered him the win would be vastly overstated.  Helped him, yes.  Helped him what?  Helped him deliver his message as a candidate at a critical point.  Oprah is Overated. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:47:50 AM »
are you kidding?  She bumped him at an important point, but it's been all Obama since that.  Huckabee got one hell of a bump from Chuck, which I underestimated at the time.  Anyway, It's not like Oprah is on the touring with Obama.  If he becomes president, I think saying Oprah delivered him the win would be vastly overstated.  Helped him, yes.  Helped him what?  Helped him deliver his message as a candidate at a critical point.  Oprah is Overated. 

Bumped?  You mean like she bumps books she talks about on her show that then become best sellers?  Who else can do that?  I've never been an Oprah fan, but the woman is powerful. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:03:49 AM »
Bumped?  You mean like she bumps books she talks about on her show that then become best sellers?  Who else can do that?  I've never been an Oprah fan, but the woman is powerful. 
she is powerful, I don't deny that.  but I don't see it going past her initial push.  She hasn't gone out and spoken in a campaigning way since then.  I will give she had an initial push in people looking at him, does that translate to her giving him the presidency, oh hell no.  If his candidacy isn't there, he would have dropped like a rock.  I'm saying you can't give the credit to Oprah for his success, that's a fact.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »
Yes, she is the head of the liberal media which controls all aspects of mass communication.

You read it here--a talkshow host controls our politics.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »
Did oprah play a huge part in winning women and african american vote?  Very possible.

Obama is winning 80% of black vote, and splitting the woman vote.  He won the last 10 primaries with a 33% margin of victory.

Clinton used to OWN the black and female vote.  Did Oprah play a part in it?  Who knows.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
Did oprah play a huge part in winning women and african american vote?  Very possible.

Obama is winning 80% of black vote, and splitting the woman vote.  He won the last 10 primaries with a 33% margin of victory.

Clinton used to OWN the black and female vote.  Did Oprah play a part in it?  Who knows.

You helped him 240, you helped him. We all know it.

BTW, what kind of gun do you walk around with?

.45?
I hate the State.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »
Beserk...ur over-estimating the intelligence of the average American....we on this board dissect everything...because we like this shit. I think alot of folks are happy to have Oprah decide for them.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
I was actually a richardson fan until he withdrew.  Obama worries me.  Very optimistic, positive, and a good decision maker, and smart too.  but he is inexperienced, and 'learning on the job' is bad.  If he and hilary split the delegates and end up prez/VP, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:44 AM »
she is powerful, I don't deny that.  but I don't see it going past her initial push.  She hasn't gone out and spoken in a campaigning way since then.  I will give she had an initial push in people looking at him, does that translate to her giving him the presidency, oh hell no.  If his candidacy isn't there, he would have dropped like a rock.  I'm saying you can't give the credit to Oprah for his success, that's a fact.

I wouldn't call it a fact one way or the other.  Really impossible to know what her true impact has been.  Looks like it was significant.  Just like being able to give the convention speech made him an instant rock star.    

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »

I'd take a flier at this one:  Obama is getting a lot of the black vote b/c he, himself, is black. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »
I'd take a flier at this one:  Obama is getting a lot of the black vote b/c he, himself, is black. 

Possible.  But black voters, when polled, chose hilary at a 3-to-1 clip back in the fall of 2007.  Today, they're polling the opposite (and voting that way too).

So it's a fact that some black voters have changed their allegience from hilary to O

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
Decker...this race is not about.....race.  ;)
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:38 AM »
Actually it really isn't about race.  Not a whole lot of black voters in Iowa where Obama won or New Hampshire where Obama almost won.  Winning in places like South Carolina and Wisconsin shows his support crosses racial lines. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »
Well I disagree a bit....Blacks have the first viable candidate in their history. The one thing I find interesting. Obama does well in areas that are either all black or all white...but not as well in mixed areas. There is also Clinton fatigue....people hate her.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:58 AM »
Decker...this race is not about.....race.  ;)
How typical of you to play the race card.

Well I'm not buying your Politically Correct Shtick!

I had a hard time typing that without breaking up....

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
Possible.  But black voters, when polled, chose hilary at a 3-to-1 clip back in the fall of 2007.  Today, they're polling the opposite (and voting that way too).

So it's a fact that some black voters have changed their allegience from hilary to O
Bandwagoning becomes a lot easier when you can identify with the candidate on a level that is not policy driven.

Obama has the momentum...just like the Giants did in the Superbowl.

It's palpable.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »
funny how fast we're evolving as a society in the last decade.

Open to things that never could have been before.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »
I'm not sure what game ur refering to. I think if it were Clinton Vs Jessie or Sharpton u wouldn't see as many Blacks flocking to them. Obama can win....but some blacks on here have mentioned that he will face more issues about his "blackness" from fellow blacks. I don't care if he's purple...I don't like his politics.

240...and the rest. Regardless of what anybody outside the US says...we're close to electing a Black man as president...we've had several blacks run for that office...how many supposedly enlightened Western nations...especially in Europe can say that.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
Well I disagree a bit....Blacks have the first viable candidate in their history. The one thing I find interesting. Obama does well in areas that are either all black or all white...but not as well in mixed areas. There is also Clinton fatigue....people hate her.

I agree Hillary hatred is playing a major role.  You've noted this before, but there really isn't anything that separates those two politically. 

I don't really agree on the race issue.  I really thought it would play a larger role, but I was wrong.  If you look at the crowds at his speeches and his performance in the race so far, the fact he is a Halfrican American hasn't hurt him at all.   

Queen Oprah’s endorsement didn’t hurt either. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
I'm not sure what game ur refering to. I think if it were Clinton Vs Jessie or Sharpton u wouldn't see as many Blacks flocking to them. Obama can win....but some blacks on here have mentioned that he will face more issues about his "blackness" from fellow blacks. I don't care if he's purple...I don't like his politics.

240...and the rest. Regardless of what anybody outside the US says...we're close to electing a Black man as president...we've had several blacks run for that office...how many supposedly enlightened Western nations...especially in Europe can say that.

yeah, keyes got 3rd in Iowa in 2000.  it's 8 years later, obama wins iowa.

the nation wants him.  i know he's woefully unprepared, but in 4 years he could make some psitive change.  McCain's had 30 years in congress and has done good, and done some bad.  in 4 years, things won' tlook that much diff under mccain.  they will probably look a bit different under obama.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
Didn't she bump that book that turned out to be a bunch of BS?   ;D

Re: Obama getting elected, I don't know if it is pure speculation on campus or if there have been legitimate threats but I have heard fellow students saying that Obama would/will be assissinated.  I heard similar things when Powell was considering running.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »
Didn't she bump that book that turned out to be a bunch of BS?   ;D

Re: Obama getting elected, I don't know if it is pure speculation on campus or if there have been legitimate threats but I have heard fellow students saying that Obama would/will be assissinated.  I heard similar things when Powell was considering running.

Yep.  She got burned by that guy. 

Colin Powell's wife was concerned for his safety and I think that's primarily why he didn't run.  Too bad.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »
Colin Powell was concerned that Karl Rove would make his wife's medical history public. That's why he didn't run.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
Nah.  Somebody had already reported that his wife had been treated for depression, which wasn't anyone's business.