Author Topic: Fit to Print? New York Times in Crosshairs for Report on McCain and Female Lobby  (Read 1000 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/21/fit-to-print-new-york-times-in-crosshairs-for-report-on-mccain-and-female-lobbyist/

The New York Times is in the crosshairs after publishing a lengthy and critical profile of John McCain Thursday that suggests — but does not outright say — that McCain had a romantic relationship with a female lobbyist and did favors for her clients from his position as chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee....

before u dismiss this as Faux news....look at who they site as sources for this article. Fox is a major news network...they aren't a CT website.  I'll post more links if and when other sites favorable or acceptable to the Left come online.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Bob Bennett: Times Article A 'Hatchet Job'
Where's The Beef
By California Yankee Posted in 2008 | Biased Media | Bob Bennett | John McCain | new york times — Comments (37) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »
Noted Democratic attorney Robert Bennett, who represents Senator McCain, calls the Times' "non story" a "hatchet job."

Bennett offers the following points to back up his assertion that the Times article is a "hatchet job:"

The New York Times was provided with approximately a dozen instances in which Senator McCain took positions adverse to Iseman's clients. The Times didn't even refer to those instances.
There is no evidence that Senator McCain breached the public trust.
There is no evidence the senator took any position that is contrary to his long-held beliefs.
Asked about rumors that the Times printed the allegations today because the New Republic was preparing an article about the Times delaying this story, Bennett replied that a lot of newspaper people would rather be wrong than be scooped:

I believe the reason this story came out to day was because the New York Times did not want to be scooped.

Bennett also served as the Democratic counsel to the Senate Ethic Committee in the 1980s, when the committee investigated the savings and loan scandal. Bennett said that "after investigating McCain for a year and a half, looking under every rock, I concluded that this was an honest, honest man and recommended to the Senate that he be exonerated."

Watch the following video of Matt Lauer's interview with Bob Bennett:

L

Decker

• Getbig V
Where's The Beef
By California Yankee Posted in 2008 | Biased Media | Bob Bennett | John McCain | new york times — Comments (37) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »
Noted Democratic attorney Robert Bennett, who represents Senator McCain, calls the Times' "non story" a "hatchet job."

Bennett offers the following points to back up his assertion that the Times article is a "hatchet job:"

The New York Times was provided with approximately a dozen instances in which Senator McCain took positions adverse to Iseman's clients. The Times didn't even refer to those instances.
There is no evidence that Senator McCain breached the public trust.
There is no evidence the senator took any position that is contrary to his long-held beliefs.
Asked about rumors that the Times printed the allegations today because the New Republic was preparing an article about the Times delaying this story, Bennett replied that a lot of newspaper people would rather be wrong than be scooped:

I believe the reason this story came out to day was because the New York Times did not want to be scooped.

I wish the Times would have had that same sentiment when it sat on the Bush FISA illegal spying story for over a year.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Regardless...If u have hard facts then by all means fire the story. U can be blamed for bias but not the facts....I can live with bias..I can critize bias....but i don't have access to the facts so i have to rely on the media...when the media makes up facts to support their bias then we have a problem.  U would think that they would have vetted this story. It still may be true...more will follow I'm sure.
L

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Fuck the New Republic, it did a smear campign on Ron Paul that turned out to be bullshit.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Hahaha....our resident "head"case cuts and pastes an article from McCain's lawyer, Bob Bennett. I'm sure that's unbiased.  :o

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Headcase..ur the meltdown man...disagree and its name calling within 30 seconds. What do u bring to the board...u sling shit without back-up. U've never made a clear or even remotely intelligent argument that doesn't end with either..I make more money...or I'm smarter...I'm great..u suck...etc etc etc. What exactly is ur life experience that u feel u can disparage me or anybody else on this board.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ex-McCain aide: New York Times report 'highly implausible'

(CNN) -- A New York Times report that Sen. John McCain once had a close relationship with a female lobbyist was "highly implausible," a former McCain aide told CNN.

The newspaper first reported online Wednesday that aides to McCain's 2000 presidential campaign were so worried about a relationship between McCain and lobbyist Vicki Iseman that they confronted the two of them.

Some McCain advisers also were concerned that the relationship had become romantic, the Times reported.

Iseman represented telecommunications companies with business before the Senate Commerce Committee, which McCain then chaired.

Dan Schnur, McCain's communication director during his 2000 presidential bid, told CNN on Thursday that he was involved in most high-level situations and that such a problem almost certainly would have "landed on my desk."

Schnur said that he was unaware of any "improper" relationship between the senator and Iseman and that he had never heard of any meeting with staffers and McCain about such a concern.

Schnur, a professor of political science at the University of California-Berkeley, has no connection to the McCain camp now.

Schnur said he spoke on the record with a Times reporter in December and said he knew of no problems surrounding Iseman. He said he was surprised the paper gave no hint of his views.

Schnur acknowledged that he could not be 100 percent sure about the story, but he said he believes his close contact and access would have brought such a situation to his attention.

McCain said Thursday that he has never "done anything that would betray the public trust or make a decision" that would favor a particular group.

. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/22/mccain.lobbyist/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

LOL... what did you expect mcCain's lawyer to say?

have you ever, in history, heard a lawyer admit his client might even be *a little bit* guilty?

Not saying McCain is, but listening to the lawyer's side of it is completely based in Mccains interest - no objectivity here.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Don't ask what McCain can do for his mistress as yourself what McCain can do for the country.

In any case, he is a right-wing pig, so I will not vote for him.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Since ur facts are based on something u read in the Times, we can safely disregard any further posts by u on this subject. There were no facts. If this was about Comrade Obama u guys would all be leaping over each other to deny the story.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
New York Times Ombudsman Faults Paper on McCain Romance Story
by FOXNews.com
Sunday, February 24, 2008

John McCain and wife, Cindy, answered questions at a press conference held Thursday in response to a New York Times article alleging that McCain had an affair with a lobbyist nine years ago.

The New York Times failed to establish a sexual relationship had existed between John McCain and lobbyist Vicki Iseman and therefore should not have published the salacious claims it made last week suggesting otherwise, the newspaper’s public editor wrote in Sunday’s online edition.

The editors and reporters were on to a good story about the Arizona senator’s fight against special interests at the same time he had appeared to do a favor for one, wrote Times Ombudsman Clark Hoyt, but charges that the relationship went beyond politics and into romance was a distraction without evidence. He added that Executive Editor Bill Keller’s argument that the story wasn’t about an affair belies the article’s narrative.

“I think that ignores the scarlet elephant in the room. A newspaper cannot begin a story about the all-but-certain Republican presidential nominee with the suggestion of an extramarital affair with an attractive lobbyist 31 years his junior and expect readers to focus on anything other than what most of them did. And if a newspaper is going to suggest an improper sexual affair, whether editors think that is the central point or not, it owes readers more proof than The Times was able to provide,” Hoyt wrote.

On Thursday, McCain held a press conference to deny charges that he and Iseman, 40, had had an affair nine years ago while she was lobbying for his assistance to get the Federal Communications Commission to rule on her client’s application for a broadcast license. McCain, 71, who was the Senate Commerce Committee’s chairman at the time, wrote the FCC asking the commissioners to make a decision but did not ask them to rule one way or the other.

McCain, with his wife by his side, answered questions for 15 minutes, and flat out denied a sexual relationship. The focus then turned to the newspaper, which wrote that McCain’s 2000 presidential campaign staff had tried to keep him and Iseman apart for fear their relationship would hurt his campaign.

In Sunday’s post-mortem, Hoyt wrote, “The article was notable for what it did not say: It did not say what convinced the advisers that there was a romance. It did not make clear what McCain was admitting when he acknowledged behaving inappropriately — an affair or just an association with a lobbyist that could look bad. And it did not say whether (McCain aide John) Weaver, the only on-the-record source, believed there was a romance. The Times did not offer independent proof, like the text messages between Detroit’s mayor and a female aide that The Detroit Free Press disclosed recently, or the photograph of Donna Rice sitting on Gary Hart’s lap.”

Hoyt said as a result, the newspaper is in the “uncomfortable position of being the story” because “although it raised one of the most toxic subjects in politics — sex — it offered readers no proof that McCain and Iseman had a romance.”

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/24/new-york-times-ombudsman-faults-paper-on-mccain-romance-story/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
I saw this, because u linked it from Fox News it will be dismissed.  ::) There are very few people besides some at the Times, defending this piece.
L