Author Topic: Very Sad Story  (Read 10987 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Very Sad Story
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
Dude, we have discussed the justification, or lack thereof, for the war numerous times.  You believe it is "illegal."  I don't. 

We aren't intentionally killing innocent Iraqis, so your question is based on a false premise.  And who said innocent Iraqis deserve to die? 

There is nothing inconsistent about being opposed to murder.  Killing combatants in war is not murder.  The unintentional killing of noncombatants in war is not murder.  No comparison to abortion at all.   

10 years of sanctions and non-stop bombings el fundo, which led to 500,000 deaths...but of course that was done mostly by the clinto administration...as long as Bush and Cheney do it, it's ok... ::)
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »

great, another goatboy    ::)

No, but come on...that was pretty brutal, thinkest thou not?
I hate the State.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »
Well put, using that logic. 

Although i don't completely agree, In my mind, even though Abortion is legal, it's still murder and even if the Iraq war was "authorized" by the UN or War was "officially declared by congress", invading a country unprovoked is wrong.
That's an interesting point.  You are thoughtful in your morality.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 02:02:27 PM »
You haven't answered the question.  The legality of the war is not open to your belief.  Either you can point to governing law or you cannot.  I point out Bush violated UN RES 1441.  You tell me that "I don't believe he has broken the law..."

Can you see why your answer is no answer at all?
The Iraq population isn't dying by accident my friend. 

You said "War is self defense.  We have rules of engagement.  No innocent persons are intentionally killed in war."

The Iraq war is not about Self Defense--if it is, then show me. 

And the Pentagon anticipates collateral damage, loss of innocent life, when a city is bombed and shot up.
By your own criterion of " lack of due process", the killing of a fetus is wrong.  The Iraqi people had some due process in the form of UN monitoring, mediating and investigating their situation.  Bush ordered the attack of Iraq in the face of the UN law and the UN WMD findings.  So I guess I'm saying, there is no and never was a justified, legal war in Iraq.

If the war is not justified--THE REASON FOR KILLING--is not justified.  That my friend is murder.  Whether intentional, with mitigating circumstances or by extreme negligence. 

This is where killing is murder...because the reason for the killing makes it so.

Iraq violated numerous UN resolutions, including the resolution that ended Desert Storm.  The entire world, including numerous members of Congress, both before and after Bush took office, both Democrat and Republican, believed Saddam was a threat to our national security and needed to be disarmed.  There was plenty of precedent for Saddam engaging in acts of unprovoked aggression, including his invasion of a sovereign country (Kuwait) and attempt to invade another (Saudi Arabia)  before we stopped him.  He dropped missiles on another country (Israel) unprovoked.  He tortured and murdered his own people.  He used WMDs on his own people.  He pillaged his country's resources.  He repeatedly threatened the United States.  He sponsored terrorism.  He had unlimited resources.  He repeatedly obstructed UN inspectors.  Congress gave Bush the authority to use force in his discretion.  Bush is the Commander in Chief and can order military action without a declaration of war, just like we did in Desert Storm, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Vietnam, and Korea.  Congress endorsed the war AFTER it started and has continued to fund the war.  Numerous other countries have contributed both armed forces and money to assist with the war.  The UN has never said the war is illegal.  

No one factor stands alone.  I think all of these factors have to be considered when determining whether we should have invaded.        

So, there it is, again.  That has to be about the umpteenth time I've stated on this board why I believe the war was justified.  :)  You know we're not going to agree on this issue.    

We made a preemptive strike to defend our country, which I consider self-defense.  Or to quote John Kerry:  "I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."  Plus, I've already mentioned our ROE.  We only intentionally kill combatants who are a threat.  We don't intentionally kill civilians in war.  The ones who do and who violate the ROE are prosecuted (like the link I provided earlier shows).  

And I have to apologize to Colossus for hijacking his thread.  Sorry mang.      

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
A quick note on the reasons you listed BB,

All the ones you listed that can be argued as justifiable occurred before or during the first war.  And as that war ended so did those items as a reason to start another war.   

If Japan, does something we don't like will you sight pearl harbor as a reason for our invasion?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Iraq violated numerous UN resolutions, including the resolution that ended Desert Storm.  The entire world, including numerous members of Congress, both before and after Bush took office, both Democrat and Republican, believed Saddam was a threat to our national security and needed to be disarmed.  There was plenty of precedent for Saddam engaging in acts of unprovoked aggression, including his invasion of a sovereign country (Kuwait) and attempt to invade another (Saudi Arabia)  before we stopped him.  He dropped missiles on another country (Israel) unprovoked.  He tortured and murdered his own people.  He used WMDs on his own people.  He pillaged his country's resources.  He repeatedly threatened the United States.  He sponsored terrorism.  He had unlimited resources.  He repeatedly obstructed UN inspectors.  Congress gave Bush the authority to use force in his discretion.  Bush is the Commander in Chief and can order military action without a declaration of war, just like we did in Desert Storm, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Vietnam, and Korea.  Congress endorsed the war AFTER it started and has continued to fund the war.  Numerous other countries have contributed both armed forces and money to assist with the war.  The UN has never said the war is illegal. 
That's quite a list, in passing, I would note that Israel and the US are guilty of many of those same violations. 

All of those things are entirely irrelevant to the fact that UN RES. 1441 requires that the UN Security Council authorize the use of force against IRaq by any member nation.  Bush blew off the UN and attacked Iraq anyways.  Iraq was complying with US requests for WMD inspections and information and he attacked anyways--what a dick!

Beach Bum, do you realize the death and suffering the US inflicted on those people?  We didn't have to do that.  And to maintain the suffering we are inflicting just b/c it is politically expedient to do so is a damn abomination.

No one factor stands alone.  I think all of these factors have to be considered when determining whether we should have invaded.   
See the one factor about the lack of the Security Council's permission to attack Iraq   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
...And I have to apologize to Colossus for hijacking his thread.  Sorry mang.      

As I pointed out the politicized abortion article Colossus posted is tied to a certain perspective where abortion--the killing of innocents--is wrong but the killing of innocent Iraqis is A-ok.

That's cognitive dissonance of the first degree.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
A quick note on the reasons you listed BB,

All the ones you listed that can be argued as justifiable occurred before or during the first war.  And as that war ended so did those items as a reason to start another war.   

If Japan, does something we don't like will you sight pearl harbor as a reason for our invasion?

Nope. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »
That's quite a list, in passing, I would note that Israel and the US are guilty of many of those same violations. 

All of those things are entirely irrelevant to the fact that UN RES. 1441 requires that the UN Security Council authorize the use of force against IRaq by any member nation.  Bush blew off the UN and attacked Iraq anyways.  Iraq was complying with US requests for WMD inspections and information and he attacked anyways--what a dick!

Beach Bum, do you realize the death and suffering the US inflicted on those people?  We didn't have to do that.  And to maintain the suffering we are inflicting just b/c it is politically expedient to do so is a damn abomination.
 See the one factor about the lack of the Security Council's permission to attack Iraq   

If we violated a UN resolution when starting the war, then why hasn't the UN condemned the war?

Keep in mind we're not in this alone.  Other countries have been involved and participating the war.   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
If we violated a UN resolution when starting the war, then why hasn't the UN condemned the war?

Keep in mind we're not in this alone.  Other countries have been involved and participating the war.   
United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan stated for the record that the US military attack of Iraq was illegal and a violation of the UN Charter.

What does that have to do with whether Bush violated UN Resolution 1441 and attacked a prone vulnerable country?

Why should one profound injustice be changed by another injustice?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:35 PM »
Dumb bitch.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan stated for the record that the US military attack of Iraq was illegal and a violation of the UN Charter.

What does that have to do with whether Bush violated UN Resolution 1441 and attacked a prone vulnerable country?

Why should one profound injustice be changed by another injustice?

He did?  Why didn't he do anything about it? 

You're asking what the UN has to do with whether a UN resolution was violated?  C'mon Decker. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
Nope. 

of course not, and if you take out those things, you don't have  much to justify a preemptive invasion unless of course you really take political banter seriously thinking those politicians said what they said for anything other than avoiding ridicule when in reality Saddam was no more of a threat then a AQ member on a deserted island.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
of course not, and if you take out those things, you don't have  much to justify a preemptive invasion unless of course you really take political banter seriously thinking those politicians said what they said for anything other than avoiding ridicule when in reality Saddam was no more of a threat then a AQ member on a deserted island.

Not a good comparison. 

I agree that if you take away all the reasons that support the war there is no reason to go war, but that would be revisionist history. 

OneBigMan

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »
This very much is a very sad story, but when you compare such a story to a innocent person losing their life fatally at the hands of another individual who doesn't want that person to live (which would mean a naive person who still believes in abortion) then I would say that the abortion of any infant isn't and should be equated with all the hateful homicide that occurs everyday in a way that is so much a part of society's grand scale genocide just like abortion is. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
Not a good comparison. 

I agree that if you take away all the reasons that support the war there is no reason to go war, but that would be revisionist history. 

Not what i'm saying at all.  You sited reasons we already when to war for, a war that was finished.  Take those out you don't have much other then political blabber that you are so fond of siting as support.

Those reasons you sited (before and during the first gulf war) are as legitimate as us saying our justification for invading Japan is that failed to follow and agreement AND they attacked us at pearl harbor in '41.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
Iraq violated numerous UN resolutions, including the resolution that ended Desert Storm.  The entire world, including numerous members of Congress, both before and after Bush took office, both Democrat and Republican, believed Saddam was a threat to our national security and needed to be disarmed.  There was plenty of precedent for Saddam engaging in acts of unprovoked aggression, including his invasion of a sovereign country (Kuwait) and attempt to invade another (Saudi Arabia)  before we stopped him.  He dropped missiles on another country (Israel) unprovoked.  He tortured and murdered his own people.  He used WMDs on his own people.  He pillaged his country's resources.  He repeatedly threatened the United States.  He sponsored terrorism.  He had unlimited resources.  He repeatedly obstructed UN inspectors.  Congress gave Bush the authority to use force in his discretion.  Bush is the Commander in Chief and can order military action without a declaration of war, just like we did in Desert Storm, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Vietnam, and Korea.  Congress endorsed the war AFTER it started and has continued to fund the war.  Numerous other countries have contributed both armed forces and money to assist with the war.  The UN has never said the war is illegal.  

No one factor stands alone.  I think all of these factors have to be considered when determining whether we should have invaded.        

So, there it is, again.  That has to be about the umpteenth time I've stated on this board why I believe the war was justified.  :)  You know we're not going to agree on this issue.    

We made a preemptive strike to defend our country, which I consider self-defense.  Or to quote John Kerry:  "I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."  Plus, I've already mentioned our ROE.  We only intentionally kill combatants who are a threat.  We don't intentionally kill civilians in war.  The ones who do and who violate the ROE are prosecuted (like the link I provided earlier shows).  

And I have to apologize to Colossus for hijacking his thread.  Sorry mang.      

Meh, the US does what it wants to do and that's the bottom line; we needed to protect dollar hegemony and take Iraq's oil so we did. Why can't you just stand by that fact?
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
Not what i'm saying at all.  You sited reasons we already when to war for, a war that was finished.  Take those out you don't have much other then political blabber that you are so fond of siting as support.

Those reasons you sited (before and during the first gulf war) are as legitimate as us saying our justification for invading Japan is that failed to follow and agreement AND they attacked us at pearl harbor in '41.

That's exactly what you're saying:  rewrite history. 

My belief that the war was justified is my opinion, but everything I stated in support of my opinion is fact. 

Get real.  Does Japan even have a military anymore? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
Meh, the US does what it wants to do and that's the bottom line; we needed to protect dollar hegemony and take Iraq's oil so we did. Why can't you just stand by that fact?

We took Iraq's oil huh?  And exactly how did we do that? 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »
He did?  Why didn't he do anything about it? 

You're asking what the UN has to do with whether a UN resolution was violated?  C'mon Decker. 
No, I'm pointing out what ostensibly looks like a capricious attempt to avoid the question at hand.  The practical side of the matter is that, at the moment, international law is as credible as the US makes it.

Thanks to Bush and people like you who lend him your support by supporting the overthrow of Iraq, the rule of law has been damaged.

The UN can object and it did.  The only 3 countries to not support Annan's statement that Bush broke the law were the USA, the UK, and Australia.  The entire world knew what was afoot, but when the superpower acts unilaterally and illegally, there's not a lot of options at hand.

Check the UN website.  Israel has broken more UN resolutions than almost anybody...even the US.  What's happened to either of those countries?  Nothing.  What happened to countries with brown people?  They get sanctioned and/or bombed regularly.

I won't even go into how ridiculous the idea that Iraq was "threat" to the largest super power in history to begin with.  I let you think about that one for a bit.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »

Are you willing to go on the record as officically saying we DID NOT go into Iraq for oil and the the protection of the dollar?
I hate the State.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
By forcing them into decades long revenue sharing agreements to the detriment of the Iraqi people and to the benefit of foreign oil companies.

http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2007/03/iraqi_oil_agreement.html

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
By forcing them into decades long revenue sharing agreements to the detriment of the Iraqi people and to the benefit of foreign oil companies.

http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2007/03/iraqi_oil_agreement.html

Decker, need I remind you that you are addressing a man who believes in talking snakes and magic apples, as well as rib women....
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
No, I'm pointing out what ostensibly looks like a capricious attempt to avoid the question at hand.  The practical side of the matter is that, at the moment, international law is as credible as the US makes it.

Thanks to Bush and people like you who lend him your support by supporting the overthrow of Iraq, the rule of law has been damaged.

The UN can object and it did.  The only 3 countries to not support Annan's statement that Bush broke the law were the USA, the UK, and Australia.  The entire world knew what was afoot, but when the superpower acts unilaterally and illegally, there's not a lot of options at hand.

Check the UN website.  Israel has broken more UN resolutions than almost anybody...even the US.  What's happened to either of those countries?  Nothing.  What happened to countries with brown people?  They get sanctioned and/or bombed regularly.

I won't even go into how ridiculous the idea that Iraq was "threat" to the largest super power in history to begin with.  I let you think about that one for a bit.

Seems to me that if it was so clear that the U.S. violated a UN resolution by invading Iraq that the UN would have taken some action, and many other countries wouldn't have supported the war. 

I'm in good company in believing that Iraq was a threat:  John Kerry, Al Gore, Durbin, many other Democrats in Congress . . . .   What was that quote by Kerry?  Saddam was "a real and grave threat to our security."  Argue with him all you want.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »
Beach Bum still believes it's not about the oil.

Even as Bush admitted 15 months ago - it was about the oil.