Author Topic: The ICON - Steve Reeves  (Read 20197 times)

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
The ICON - Steve Reeves
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

These days Steve would be lucky to place well let alone win a natural BB contest. However during his era he stood head and shoulders above the rest.

He was asked to star as James Bond in Dr. No, which he turned down. He also declined the role that finally went to Clint Eastwood in A Fistful of Dollars.

By his own account, his best cold (unpumped) measurements at the peak of his bodybuilding activity were:

Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
Weight: 216
Neck: 18 1/4"
Chest: 52"
Waist: 29"
Biceps: 18 1/4"
Thighs: 26"
Calves: 18 1/4"

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: The ICON - Steve Reeves
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
The best ever IMO.

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
He could win a natural competition today if it was truly natural.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

Pure genetics and hard work.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »
Great pics! Man, did he have it all...

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
During the filming of The Last Days of Pompeii, Reeves dislocated his shoulder when his chariot crashed into a tree. Reeves pulled the joint back into its socket by himself and chose to continue filming and performing his own stunts. Swimming in a subsequent underwater escape scene he reinjured his shoulder. The injury would be aggravated by his stunt work in each successive film, ultimately leading him to retire early.

Excerpts from his interview:

TPV: I heard you were offered the role in A Fistful of Dollars and didn't take it.

SR: Yeah. The director of The Last Days of Pompeii was an older gentleman and he was just a figurehead. Sergio Leone was his assistant and did about 90 percent of the directing. We had a little tussle one time because there was a scene where I was being filmed behind bars and he told me to do it a certain way, and I said 'Why?' - in other words, I needed a motivation. I'm not a great method actor, but you have to know why you're doing something. So he said, 'Because I said so.' I didn't like that, and I went after him. They grabbed me, and I cooled off, and after that everything was fine.Later he wanted me to do this Western, and I love the West. He told me about it, but then I found out it was based on Kurosawa's Yojimbo - he had taken it scene by scene and changed it into a Western. In fact, after it came out, Kurosawa saw it and demanded either a royalty or a buy-out. I personally thought, how could an Italian director make a good Western out of a Japanese samurai film? So I turned it down on that basis. That was the first Western in Italy, you know, and it turned out well. But also, I wouldn't have felt real good smoking a little cigar and squinting my eyes for three months. Frankly, Clint Eastwood was much better for it than I would have been. There are certain parts for certain people. To me, Johnny Weissmuller was the greatest Tarzan ever, And some other people, including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno, have tried to make Hercules and they bombed. If anybody tried to play Rocky but Stallone, they would bomb. Same with Eastwood; he was perfect for that part.

TPV: Speaking of Schwarzenegger, what do you feel about the fact that you had to go to Italy to become a star, and he did it by coming over here?

SR: The times have changed. When I was going to high school the football coach would tell the players, 'You can't swim because it softens up your muscles. You can't lift weights because it makes you musclebound. You can't ride a bicycle because it makes you run slow. All the things that professional football players do today, hit the weights, ride the bicycle, do some swimming to loosen up, I had to fight for every inch of the way. Similarly, people weren't accepting bodies like mine on the screen, and if I'd had a face that wasn't, shall we say, noble, it probably wouldn't have happened for me either, because people weren't ready for just the body.

TPV: Have you ever crossed paths with Schwarzenegger?SR: I met him about 15 years ago for the first time. We were at Jack La Lanne's 65th birthday party, and Schwarzenegger came up to me and said, 'Steve, you've always been an idol of mine.' I looked him straight in the eye, half-smiling, and said, 'Don't give me that crap, Arnold. I read your book, and Reg Park was your idol.'He said, 'Well... only because I knew I couldn't look like you.'

TPV: Did you have to work out a few hours a day on the set?

SR: No. That's an amazing thing. My body responds so well to exercise, and it keeps it so long, that I didn't have to. I didn't take any steroids, they didn't exist at that time. It was just easy for me to get in shape and to stay in shape. During the 15 years I was in Europe, I would work out possibly one month a year, usually the month of May. I lived in Switzerland most of the time and I would go skiing and take walks with my dog. But the food there was so great that I would gain maybe 10 pounds during the winter. So during May I'd work like son-of-a-gun. Run through the mountains there, use the weights, and get in top form that month, and that would last me through the season. During filming you're too exhausted I get a decent workout, and I really didn't need because the stress that there is in acting kept the fat off me and the muscle didn't want to go away.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Steve left a legacy of great images that are still admired today. The great John Grimek is the only bodybuilder undefeated in competition but his images are not so popular today, even though he defeated Reeves in the 1949 Mr USA.

Here are two of my favourite Reeves photos. I haven't seen the hands behind neck image bettered by anyone else to this day.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
I remember seeing a really impressive pic of Grimek from about 1948. When he dialed it in he looked fantastic as well, great great physique at times.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »
Go to the History Board.  Great thread on Steve.  Made in Montana has some great stories as she was very close to Steve.  IN my opinion he was awesome.  Not to big yet looked great.  And I am pretty sure he got whatever girl he wanted when he wanted.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:16 PM »
I remember seeing a really impressive pic of Grimek from about 1948. When he dialed it in he looked fantastic as well, great great physique at times.

I remember reading about Grimek in a old musclemag feature. Wasn't he a ironworker?  In addition to BB he also did some strongman shows which i think was the norm in those days.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
Go to the History Board.  Great thread on Steve.  Made in Montana has some great stories as she was very close to Steve.  IN my opinion he was awesome.  Not to big yet looked great.  And I am pretty sure he got whatever girl he wanted when he wanted.

Even today he'd still get any girl he wanted - the look/physique is timeless.

I wonder why he turned down the james bond role.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
Grimek worked at York Barbell, I think he was alot of the older generation in that he stayed with the same company forever then retired. Good life for the time I suppose, just bodybuilding and workin at a barbell company.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »

Absolutely.  Not to sound like a fag or anything like Goodrum but I know a good looking guy when I see one and he is a good looking guy.  Maybe we can hear from a real gay guy......Goodrum?  What do you think?

Barracuda

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Teeth in the Darkness
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
Maybe we can hear from a real gay guy......Goodrum?  What do you think?

:D :D - has he posted since he was outed?

With regard to Reeves:

I read the posts by MinM and they were interesting. I'd like to know what the story behind the James Bond role refusal too. Maybe MinM can oblige if its not too intrusive.

I especially like this line

"Instead of saying, "No pain, no gain," Steve used to say "No brain no gain"...emphasizing that intelligent training and nutrition is key."

EDIT - Some of Reeves Hercules movies are now(free)downloadable since they are now in public domain.
http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=125&format=movie&theme=guide

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »
Reeves was great and all, but I really think if a Paul Anderson or a Doug Hepburn dieted down to a low BF, they'd be carrying more muscle.  Whether they'd have more symmetry is another issue.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
Steve was offered $50,000 to play the lead role in 1962's James Bond film Dr. No before it was offered to Sean Connery (relatively unknown actor at the time). Steve turned it down because his current salary at that time was $250,000 a film. Instead Steve made Son of Spartacus (a.k.a The Slave) and The Avenger and started prep for Sandokan in 1962...making him the highest paid actor in the world at the time. By contrast, America's highest paid actor at that time was John Wayne who was making $100,000 a film. So, moneywise, it made sense to go with european film makers who paid him more. Hercules made him the #1 box office movie star in the world in 1959...so with each film he made, his salary doubled and tripled. 

Steve as Son of Spartacus (a.k.a. The Slave)
________________________ ________________________ _____________

As Aeneas in The Avenger
________________________ ________________________ ______________

As Sandokan in Sandokan

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »
the fact that guys like steve, from 50 years ago are still thought of to have the best physique of all time, shows that bbing is about more than just alot of muscle on a ripped physique. it's about proportion and symmetry too - of which steve had in abundance. that's what makes him an alltime great, among other things.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:47:46 AM »

Steve as Aneas

Barracuda

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Teeth in the Darkness
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »
So it was a the low salary offer.  i thought he may have had a dispute with the director or something to that nature.

It would have been interesting to see how Reeves would have portrayed Bond if the salary hadnt been an issue.....

Dude looks intense in the greek warrior outfit.

Thanks for your reply  and the pics MinM

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Ercole
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:32 AM »
Thank you everyone who commented on this thread. Dreadlord, thanks for starting it and adding all the pics. Vince, thanks for the pics. Keith, thank you.

Steve with Primo Carnera, Boxing heavy weight champ of the world and director Pietro F.

Hercules

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Hercules
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 01:17:27 AM »

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 01:27:41 AM »
What were Reeves poundages? I read his workout schedule comprises of 3 sets of 8-12 reps. What were his Bench/Squat/Deadlift numbers?

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 02:02:38 AM »
Steve's Training for Mr. America contest :

Upright Row                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--narrow grip
Press Behind neck               3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--wide grip
Lateral Raises                     3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--bent over
Bench Press                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--wide grip
Incline Bench Press              3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--thumbs in 
Flying Motion                      3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--bent over
Pulldown behind neck            3 sets   8-12 reps
  overhead pulley--wide grip
Rowing seated                     3 sets   8-12 reps
  low pulley--narrow grip
One Arm Rowing                   3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbell--toward hips
Incline Bench Curl                 6 sets   5-7 reps
  dumbells--down the rack
Bench Curl                           3 sets   8-12 reps
  overhead pulley-bar           
Concentration curls               1 set     8-12 reps
  dumbell--elbow on knee 
Tricep pushdowns                 3 sets   8-12 reps
  high pulley--narrow
Tricep extensions                  3 sets   8-12 reps
  one dumbell--behind neck
Tricep crossovers                  3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbell--1arm on bench
Parallel squats                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--heels on 2"block
Hack lifts                              2 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--heels on block
Front squats                         2 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--in clean position
Leg curls                              2 sets   8-12 reps
  workout partner resistance
Calf Raises                           3 sets   20-25 reps
  leg press machine
Forward bends                      3 sets   12-15 reps
  barbell--seated
Knee raises                          2 sets   20-25 reps
  vert.bench--ankle weight
Work neck                            1 set    15-20 reps
  all 4 sides--partner resistance

1.) Deltoids
 2.) Chest (Pectorals)
 3.) Back (Mid and Upper Latisimus Dorsi)
 4.) Biceps
 5.) Triceps
 6.) Quadriceps (front thigh)
 7.) Hamstrings (back of legs)
 8.) Calves
 9.) Lower Back
10.) Abdominals (stomach)
11.) Neck

The logic behind starting with the smaller muscles first, then moving to the larger muscles is that about 80% of your blood is located in your glutes and legs (legs are the strongest muscle in the body), so if you work them first, then even more blood goes to those areas and it makes it harder to get  the blood back into the smaller muscles of your upper body later because it forces it to work against gravity. And you want as much blood in the body part that you work when you are working it, so when you do the upper body first, then it makes you able to put in a better maximum effort in the chest, delts, biceps...then move to the larger muscles of legs and glutes. It just feels better when you do it like this in this sequence.  And the good thing about doing it this way is that when you are working one body part, it is warming up the body part next to it so that it is ready to go next.

Steve's favorite exercise was the two arm curl while sitting on an incline bench. He began with a pair of 75 lbs. weights and did 5 curls rapidly in succession, then immediately took a pair of 70 lbs. and do 5 more, then the same with 65 lbs., then keep working down in 5 lbs. drops until 8 sets of curls are completed.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 02:08:47 AM »

LOL. 'Turned down' and 'being considered for' are movie terms for not good enough. Look, he was bbing icon and 'b' actor, nothing more. Don't try to convince us he was the second coming of Marlon Brando.