Author Topic: NFL Free Agent Signings  (Read 4111 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: NFL Free Agent Signings
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »

Last year the niners gave Clement a big fat deal... Last year passing yards vs the niners was up.

Because we couldn't rush the passer, not because Clements was a good cover corner.  That has been the Niners main problem on D since Charles Haley left umpteen years ago.  (Arguably the worst trade in Niners history.   >:()

Edit:  meant to say "not because Clements was not a good cover corner." 

body88

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Because we couldn't rush the passer, not because Clements was a good cover corner.  That has been the Niners main problem on D since Charles Haley left umpteen years ago.  (Arguably the worst trade in Niners history.   >:(

If you can rush the passer average cb's are very effective, look at the g men in the sb. Rating a cb's value to high in certain systems is stupid, and that why I was not worried when I saw Ty law, Maloy and Asante walk.

I would never in my life pay a 3/4 zone cb 10 million bucks per year. Not trying to take anything away from anyone, but you could be Nate Clement, Asante Samuel  or Champ bailey, and it wont mean a damn thing if your lines are no good....

Look at Dre Bly and Champ this year, there skills meant nothing when it was all said and done.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
If you can rush the passer average cb's are very effective, look at the g men in the sb. Rating a cb's value to high in certain systems is stupid, and that why I was not worried when I saw Ty law, Maloy and Asante walk.

I would never in my life pay a 3/4 zone cb 10 million bucks per year. Not trying to take anything away from anyone, but you could be Nate Clement, Asante Samuel  or Champ bailey, and it wont mean a damn thing if your lines are no good....

Look at Dre Bly and Champ this year, there skills meant nothing when it was all said and done.

I agree.  D-line really determines how effective a corner will be.  You consistently give a QB 5 seconds to throw the ball and go through his progression and any corner not named Deion will have problems.  Still, you do need good cover corners and Clements is one of the better cover corners in the league. 

I don't have a problem with the Niners overpaying to get him, because we have been really bad for several years and we've had terrible ownership, along with cap issues, so attracting quality FAs was a big problem. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
exactly

"upinthemguts" sees a player past his prime but thinks they deserve big bucks because of what they did in the past ::)

did you see vince wilfork plow over faneca and mahan to sack ben?  hines was wide open, if ben gets that throw off it could've been a different game

the highest paid lineman in the league should be able to block one guy, especially while double teaming him

E

I never said Porter was worth the money the 'Phins paid him, terd boy. Why do you keep saying this??? ???

But the bottom line is that Porter can still play in this league. If you start in the NFL, you're not washed up. I'm not quite sure why you fail to grasp this. Being overpaid is one thing, which Porter was. But if you're still good enough to start in the National Football League, you're not washed up. (disagree with me all you want but I won't bend to your logic.) And to to make a pro bowl based on past reputation is something I don't agree with. You're voted into the Pro Bowl by your peers(fellow players) and the fans.

I didn't see one player at this year's pro bowl, who I felt didn't deserve to be there.

And why on earth do you keep bringing up ONE GAME where Faneca was abused by Wilfork? Last I checked, Wilfork is a pro bowl player. Some games you're the dog, and other games you're the hydrant. Besides, what about the other 40 snaps during that game where Faneca held Wilfork in check??

Stop beating it to death or provide another example, for the love of god....

body88

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »
I agree.  D-line really determines how effective a corner will be.  You consistently give a QB 5 seconds to throw the ball and go through his progression and any corner not named Deion will have problems.  Still, you do need good cover corners and Clements is one of the better cover corners in the league. 

I don't have a problem with the Niners overpaying to get him, because we have been really bad for several years and we've had terrible ownership, along with cap issues, so attracting quality FAs was a big problem. 

I admire your honesty. I wished you well last year when the trade happened, and I wish you well in the future. I love Willis, one of my fav players. Hopefullt the tides turn for the niners, and they return to there former glory. I always root for the niners, and the browns....

The niners have about 40 million to spend correct?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »
I admire your honesty. I wished you well last year when the trade happened, and I wish you well in the future. I love Willis, one of my fav players. Hopefullt the tides turn for the niners, and they return to there former glory. I always root for the niners, and the browns....

The niners have about 40 million to spend correct?

Thanks.  I had (another) long talk with my son yesterday about the cycle of winning and losing that every team endures.  I think we're moving in the right direction. 

Not sure about the cap room, but they've been spending like crazy, so we must have a lot. 

BTW, good call on the Moss signing.  Good move by the Pats. 

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
He wanted the money.  And with Urlacher's career in question, Briggs had the leverage to get the payday he wanted.
  haha Briggs had no leverage.  He wanted a much bigger deal but no other teams bit.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
I never said Porter was worth the money the 'Phins paid him, terd boy. Why do you keep saying this??? ???

But the bottom line is that Porter can still play in this league. If you start in the NFL, you're not washed up. I'm not quite sure why you fail to grasp this. Being overpaid is one thing, which Porter was. But if you're still good enough to start in the National Football League, you're not washed up. (disagree with me all you want but I won't bend to your logic.) And to to make a pro bowl based on past reputation is something I don't agree with. You're voted into the Pro Bowl by your peers(fellow players) and the fans.

I didn't see one player at this year's pro bowl, who I felt didn't deserve to be there.

And why on earth do you keep bringing up ONE GAME where Faneca was abused by Wilfork? Last I checked, Wilfork is a pro bowl player. Some games you're the dog, and other games you're the hydrant. Besides, what about the other 40 snaps during that game where Faneca held Wilfork in check??

Stop beating it to death or provide another example, for the love of god....

porter started for a team that went 1-15, that one win was against your ravens ;D so yes he is washed up imo :D

i also remember you saying you wished your ravens signed him

your fan voting and peer excuse for guys playing in the pro bowl proves my point "genius", they vote for guys they've heard of, not guys just entering their prime and making a name for themselves

the fan vote has ruined all star games

oh and as far as you not seeing one guy that didn't deserve to be there, you still thought porter was a great player even after ogden's BACKUP owned him

so much for your talent evaluation skills ;D

as for another faneca example, just look at all the sacks we gave up, if you knew anything about MY TEAM (you don't) you would know that we gave up a ton of sacks and faneca gave up more this year than ever

and if you actually watched the steelers/pats game rather than sportscenter highlights you would know that wilfork owned him all game

speaking of the jets talent evaluation, a few years ago they traded two first round picks to take dewayne "the next warren sapp" robertson, who they just traded for a 4th and a 5th

but hey they work in the nfl, i'm just an armchair qb what do i know :P

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
At least you admit most of what you say is opinion.

The Pro bowl is voted by fellow PLAYERS also, not only fans, Earl.

And yes, I did watch the Steelers/Pats game, numbnuts. I seem to recall it being nationally televised.

Even if Ogden had a bad game against a backup, he's still a first ballot hall of famer.

Dwayne Robertson is still a starter in the league.

The only thing I agree with you about is the fact that fan voting ruins professional sports all star games

And once again as you always do, you've 'owned' nothing.

I'm starting to think you might actually be polish instead of guinea.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 07:10:40 AM »
  haha Briggs had no leverage.  He wanted a much bigger deal but no other teams bit.
I knew that.  What makes you think I didn't know that?  Is that what you said or is that what he said?  Lance Briggs....I don't know who that is.

A sop to the great Nathan Thurm.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »
I knew that.  What makes you think I didn't know that?  Is that what you said or is that what he said?  Lance Briggs....I don't know who that is.

A sop to the great Nathan Thurm.
hahaha  ;D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
At least you admit most of what you say is opinion.

The Pro bowl is voted by fellow PLAYERS also, not only fans, Earl.

And yes, I did watch the Steelers/Pats game, numbnuts. I seem to recall it being nationally televised.

Even if Ogden had a bad game against a backup, he's still a first ballot hall of famer.

Dwayne Robertson is still a starter in the league.

The only thing I agree with you about is the fact that fan voting ruins professional sports all star games

And once again as you always do, you've 'owned' nothing.

I'm starting to think you might actually be polish instead of guinea.

my opinon regarding porter was the same as the mighty steelers, one of the most successful teams ever so it is more than just an "opinion" 8)

and where did i "admit" that "most of what i say" is opinion ???

players vote for guys they know too, disagreeing with the obvious makes you look very stupid :P

sure you watched the game but what difference does that make when you didn't notice faneca get owned from start to finish?  did you really watch the game or did you just stare at the screen like a zombie?  yes you did

where did i say ogden had a bad game LEARN TO READ NUMBNUTS ogden's no name backup owned joey porter on christmas eve, and you still thought porter was a great player hahaha ;D i told you that through pm THAT DAY but you didn't feel the need to disagree with me since joey was still a steeler ::)

dewayne robertson is a bust, the jets thought he would be warren sapp which is why they traded two 1st round picks to get him, why can't your simple mind grasp the fact that they don't evaluate talent well? 

keep looking for more ways to disagree with the FACTS, owning you is too easy 8)

E
E

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
Safety-Sammy Knight to the Gmen.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »
my opinon regarding porter was the same as the mighty steelers, one of the most successful teams ever so it is more than just an "opinion" 8)

and where did i "admit" that "most of what i say" is opinion ???

players vote for guys they know too, disagreeing with the obvious makes you look very stupid :P

sure you watched the game but what difference does that make when you didn't notice faneca get owned from start to finish?  did you really watch the game or did you just stare at the screen like a zombie?  yes you did

where did i say ogden had a bad game LEARN TO READ NUMBNUTS ogden's no name backup owned joey porter on christmas eve, and you still thought porter was a great player hahaha ;D i told you that through pm THAT DAY but you didn't feel the need to disagree with me since joey was still a steeler ::)

dewayne robertson is a bust, the jets thought he would be warren sapp which is why they traded two 1st round picks to get him, why can't your simple mind grasp the fact that they don't evaluate talent well? 

keep looking for more ways to disagree with the FACTS, owning you is too easy 8)

E

Suck any cock today, Earl?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »
Cool!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
With Seattle signing Duckett and Jones looks like Alexander is done (at least in Seattle).   

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »
David Carr,backup qb for the Giants.