Author Topic: NFL Free Agent Signings  (Read 4112 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
NFL Free Agent Signings
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:51:48 AM »
I like what the Niners have done so far.  Re-signed DT Isaac Sopoaga (from . . . the University of Hawaii).  Signed Isaac Bruce.  Just signed Justin Smith.

Will be interesting to see if the Pats let Moss walk.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: NFL Free Agent Signings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
Giants lost 2 starting lb's and their starting fs.
Gibril is a heck of a safety but no way in hell were the Giants gonna make him the third highest paid safety in the nfl.

In Reece we trust 8)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
I like what the Niners have done so far.  Re-signed DT Isaac Sopoaga (from . . . the University of Hawaii).  Signed Isaac Bruce.  Just signed Justin Smith.

what exactly do you like?

E
E

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »

E
agreed.  Is smith gonna play DE? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:52 PM »

E

All of them.  I like the fact we locked up one of the strongest men in the NFL in Sopoaga to help control the line of scrimmage.  I like the fact we signed a proven veteran WR in Bruce who can still play (our WR group stinks).  I like the fact we signed a guy in Smith who can play DE, given B-Young's retirement.  I like the fact we signed a decent return man in Rossum. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
All of them.  I like the fact we locked up one of the strongest men in the NFL in Sopoaga to help control the line of scrimmage.  I like the fact we signed a proven veteran WR in Bruce who can still play (our WR group stinks).  I like the fact we signed a guy in Smith who can play DE, given B-Young's retirement.  I like the fact we signed a decent return man in Rossum. 

what on earth makes you think bruce can still play?

smith is good but you overpaid like you did for every guy you signed last year

please tell me you are joking when you say rossum is a decent return man ???

rossum played for my steelers last year and was terrible, your 9ers signed him because of the one td return he had all year was against your 9ers ::)

he's past his prime and BELOW average

E

E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 01:01:07 PM »
Apparently, the Jets felt Faneca was worth being paid the highest at his position in the game.

But of course, he's washed up, right Earl? ::)

I'm sure your NFL acumen and ability to scout talent is right up there on the level with the Jets front office. You should call them and tell them they made a dumb mistake signing Faneca. Just admit it's sour grapes and you're pissed he's gone.

Once and for all, my friend....if you start in the NFL(the highest competitive level of pro football),..........You're not washed up.

Hope this helps.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »

what on earth makes you think bruce can still play?

smith is good but you overpaid like you did for every guy you signed last year

please tell me you are joking when you say rossum is a decent return man ???

rossum played for my steelers last year and was terrible, your 9ers signed him because of the one td return he had all year was against your 9ers ::)

he's past his prime and BELOW average

E

Bruce had 55 for 733 and 4 TDs in 14 games last year playing for one of the worst teams and offenses in the NFL.  He had 74 for 1098 and 3 TDs a year ago.  That automatically makes him one of the best WRs on the Niners roster.  Plus he'll be playing for Martz, who knows how to use him. 

Yes we overpaid for Smith.  All of those guys are overpaid.  We overpaid for Clements last year.  But, as you said, 
Smith can play and we needed a DE to replace B-Young. 

Rossum is decent.  I didn't say he was an all pro.  He'll be better than anyone on our roster, so it's an upgrade.  Our return game has been terrible for about 10 years or more. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
Rossum reminds me a lot of Mel Gray, the Lions all-time record returner.

Both guys are/were special teams players to the core. Rossum has been returning kicks since he was a rookie. I'll accept a professional NFL general manager's evaluation for talent over Earl's opinions any day of the week.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
Atlanta signs Michael Turner.  I guess this means they go QB in round 1 and that Dunn is done in ATL. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
Nice pick up by the Falcons. Turner's power to complement Norwood's speed.

Dunn is going to ask for his release, no doubt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
Turner is pretty fast too. 

I doubt Dunn will have to ask for his release. . . .

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
Apparently, the Jets felt Faneca was worth being paid the highest at his position in the game.

But of course, he's washed up, right Earl? ::)

I'm sure your NFL acumen and ability to scout talent is right up there on the level with the Jets front office. You should call them and tell them they made a dumb mistake signing Faneca. Just admit it's sour grapes and you're pissed he's gone.

Once and for all, my friend....if you start in the NFL(the highest competitive level of pro football),..........You're not washed up.

Hope this helps.

i knew it was a matter of time before you would blow up on me again :-* :-*

my steelers have had far more success than the jets and they think he is washed up, as do I 8)

he makes pro bowls now based on past reputation, he couldn't block vince wilfork even while double teaming him with sean mahan, and you think he deserves to be the highest paid lineman ::)

sure we could still use him but he isn't worth half of what the jets gave him, it's no wonder they have a top 10 pick every other year

and who are you to question my judgement after you said joey porter was worth a $20 million signing bonus? you laughed at me when i said he was done :D

the nfl free agency period is becoming a yearly owning for you here on getbig ;D

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »

He'll be better than anyone on our roster, so it's an upgrade.  Our return game has been terrible for about 10 years or more. 

it isn't going to get any better

sorry

E

E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »
Rossum reminds me a lot of Mel Gray, the Lions all-time record returner.

Both guys are/were special teams players to the core. Rossum has been returning kicks since he was a rookie. I'll accept a professional NFL general manager's evaluation for talent over Earl's opinions any day of the week.

um you do realize that my steelers didn't even make him an offer when they easily could've signed him, right?

you do realize that a player can get older and their play can decline, right?

and you do realize that the 9ers have made mistake after mistake evaluating talent over the last 5 years or so, right?

are you stupid or are you just making it easy for me to own you YET AGAIN?

"joey porter deserves a $20 million signing bonus" hahahaha;D ;D ;D

E
E

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »
Faneca got overpaid.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
Faneca got overpaid.  

what do you know? you aren't an nfl gm ;)

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 07:01:05 AM »
i knew it was a matter of time before you would blow up on me again :-* :-*

my steelers have had far more success than the jets and they think he is washed up, as do I 8)

he makes pro bowls now based on past reputation, he couldn't block vince wilfork even while double teaming him with sean mahan, and you think he deserves to be the highest paid lineman ::)

sure we could still use him but he isn't worth half of what the jets gave him, it's no wonder they have a top 10 pick every other year

and who are you to question my judgement after you said joey porter was worth a $20 million signing bonus? you laughed at me when i said he was done :D

the nfl free agency period is becoming a yearly owning for you here on getbig ;D

E

ah, hello Earl. I knew it was a matter of time before you responded. You're taking the bait a little more easily than you used to. Lonely, perhaps?

I never said Porter was worth it. I just said he wasn't washed up. And the fact of the matter is that he'd still be a Steeler today if he had agreed to take a pay cut. It's the nature of the business. His cap number was too high, he wouldn't take a pay cut, therefore he was released. He still has value and that's why the Dolphins signed him. This happens frequently when veterans enter the back loaded years of their contract. One day it will happen to Big Ben as he enters the last 3 years of his new $102 million contract. Are you through being confused now?

And stop with the "we" shit when you describe the Steelers. It makes you sound like you're carrying around a load in your pants.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
Bruce had 55 for 733 and 4 TDs in 14 games last year playing for one of the worst teams and offenses in the NFL.  He had 74 for 1098 and 3 TDs a year ago.  That automatically makes him one of the best WRs on the Niners roster.  Plus he'll be playing for Martz, who knows how to use him. 

Yes we overpaid for Smith.  All of those guys are overpaid.  We overpaid for Clements last year.  But, as you said, 
Smith can play and we needed a DE to replace B-Young. 

Rossum is decent.  I didn't say he was an all pro.  He'll be better than anyone on our roster, so it's an upgrade.  Our return game has been terrible for about 10 years or more. 

How about the OL?

Justin Smiley lost, Larry Allen gone.   It wasn't a good OL to begin with.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »
How about the OL?

Justin Smiley lost, Larry Allen gone.   It wasn't a good OL to begin with.

Definitely have O-line needs, but Smiley was hurt last year and Allen wasn't anywhere near as dominant as he used to be.  We have a couple holes to fill.  Not much depth. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »
Briggs back to da Bears suprised me.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
ah, hello Earl. I knew it was a matter of time before you responded. You're taking the bait a little more easily than you used to. Lonely, perhaps?

I never said Porter was worth it. I just said he wasn't washed up. And the fact of the matter is that he'd still be a Steeler today if he had agreed to take a pay cut. It's the nature of the business. His cap number was too high, he wouldn't take a pay cut, therefore he was released. He still has value and that's why the Dolphins signed him. This happens frequently when veterans enter the back loaded years of their contract. One day it will happen to Big Ben as he enters the last 3 years of his new $102 million contract. Are you through being confused now?

And stop with the "we" shit when you describe the Steelers. It makes you sound like you're carrying around a load in your pants.

bait?  your post reeked of ignorance so i set you straight

porter is washed up and would not start over harrison, woodley, or timmons

i will never stop with the "we shit" :P

E
E

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
Briggs back to da Bears suprised me.
He wanted the money.  And with Urlacher's career in question, Briggs had the leverage to get the payday he wanted.

body88

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
bait?  your post reeked of ignorance so i set you straight

porter is washed up and would not start over harrison, woodley, or timmons

i will never stop with the "we shit" :P

E

Joey Porter is not worth what the phins gave him. The steelers have had a long tradition since back to Cowers early years of not paying lbs and plugging in homegrown products. Why in the world would they pay Porter anything close to what he wanted? If there is one thing the Steelers do well, it is produce great lb's. They have never done it any other way........

The saints gave Randel Gay 17 million bucks, are you kidding me? I have watched blue play since he came to the pats..The guy is a career nickleback with an injury history as long as my arm. Watch the superbowl vs the eagles, thats all you have to see.

Last year the niners gave Clement a big fat deal... Last year passing yards vs the niners was up. The teams who are on top are the teams who know when to cut the cord, and when to pay the player.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »
Joey Porter is not worth what the phins gave him.... The steelers have had a long tradition since back to Cowers early years of not paying lbs and plugging in homegrown products. Why in the world would they pay Porter a anything close to what he wanted? If there is one thing the Steelers do well, it is produce great lb's.

The saints gave Randel Gay 17 million bucks, are you kidding me? I have watched blue play since he came to the pats... The guy is a nickleback eith an injury history as long as my arm. Watch the superbowl vs the eagles, thats all you have to see.

Last year the niners gave Clement a big fat deal... Last year passing yards vs the niners was up. The teams who are on top are the teams who know when to cut the cord, and when to pay the player.

exactly

"upinthemguts" sees a player past his prime but thinks they deserve big bucks because of what they did in the past ::)

did you see vince wilfork plow over faneca and mahan to sack ben?  hines was wide open, if ben gets that throw off it could've been a different game

the highest paid lineman in the league should be able to block one guy, especially while double teaming him

E
E