Author Topic: Gym Behavior 101: A question about gym etiquette - weigh in with your opinion  (Read 5394 times)

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
I have 2 questions for the reader. Both questions will appear at the end of this post. This matter deals with gym etiquette. For reference, here's how the dictionary defines etiquette:

a) the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life

b) conventional requirements as to social behavior; proprieties of conduct as established in any class or community or for any occasion

c) the practices and forms prescribed by social convention or by authority

This incident that took place in a local gym and was at times heated and dramatic. At first the conversation was civil and proper, and then later it devolved into a full blown confrontation. I was a witness to it. After the two parties went their seperate ways, after the incident was diffused, I questioned a gym employee at length as to the details involving the matter. This incident involved 3 people, a party of two and one isolated individual. For reference, I'll be referring to the party of two as "double-guys". I'll be referring to the single individual as "single-guy". I'll first give a general synopsis as to what took place. And then I'll give a detailed account of what I saw and heard and what a club employee, the desk attendant on duty that morning, later related to me.

Synopsis:

It's 5:30 am on a weekday morning. Both double-guys are working out on a leg press machine. There is only one leg press machine of this type in the entire gym. Single-guy walks up and politely asks if they would allow him to work in on the machine. Both double-guys tell single-guy "No", that he'll have to wait and come back later when they're finished using the leg press.

Details:

After both double-guys tell single-guy that he can't work in on the unit, double-guys add that they need to keep their heart rate up and that is why single-guy should wait until they're done. Single-guy tells them that time is crucial, he points out that it's 5:30am, and that he has to be at work soon. Double-guys instruct single-guy to go use another machine elsewhere in the gym. Double-guys tell single-guy that "we're only gonna be on this machine for just 3 minutes and only 3 minutes."

Single-guy states that he can't use any other machine for his legs. Single-guy states that "This is the only leg press in the gym, and I need to use it, too. I can't use any other machine in the gym. This is my last excercise for the day". Both double-guys are adamant, they refuse to let single-guy work in on the leg press. And then double-guy #1 points to the clock and says, "You need to get to the gym earlier. And you need to go use another machine."

Single-guy then states, "Alright, so let me get this straight, you're blocking me from using the leg-press, right?" Double-guy #1 says, "That's right, we're blocking you." Single-guy states, "Well you know that's rude." Single-guy then turns around and walks away. Minutes later, single-guy returns accompanied by the gyms early morning desk attendant. Double-guys are still at the same machine exercising their quads, the same machine single-guy has a desire to use. Single-guy asks the gym attendant if he would instruct both double-guys to share the machine with him. The gym employee proceeds to question both parties as to the circumstances of the argument.

Follow up:

Much later, when both parties had gone their seperate ways, I had a conversation with the desk attendant. Single-guy stated to the eary morning desk attendant that he was under the care of a physical therapist for a recent knee injury. He had not had surgery, but was instead addressing the injury with physical therapy. Single-guy stated that he had seen a physical therapist 3 or 4 weeks prior to this incident. At the clinic, his p.t. gave him 4 or 5 excercises to perform. The bulk of those excercises were exercises that he could perform at home, without equipment. Two of those exercises involved gym equipment.

Of those two exercises, on the morning of the confrontation, single-guy had already performed one of them before he confronted double-guys. Of those two exercises, the second exercise required the use of the machine he asked the double-guys to share with him. Single-guy stated to the desk attendant that he had observed double-guys performing mulitiple sets of 10-12 repetitions on the machine that he was attempting to use.

At no time during the actual incident did I hear single-guy tell either double-guy #1 or double-guy #2 that he was rehabilitating a knee injury. Single-guy was not in a wheelchair, nor was he seen using crutches or a cane. Single-guy was not limping nor did his gait appear to be in any way affected by anything negative or out of the ordinary.

The desk attendant instructed single-guy to file a complaint to the gym manager during regular business hours. Single-guy stated that he wasn't sure if he would follow through with a formal complaint, but if he did, single-guy stated that, if asked, he would provide proof and documentation that he was under the care of a state board certified physical therapist, that he was in the early stages of a knee rehabilitation program, and that at this point in his rehabilitation program he was instructed to use only two types of gym equipment for his leg work. Single-guy went on to say that he was debating on freezing his gym contract, which would have required him to provide the gym with documentation of an existing injury as certified by a doctor.

Single-guy told the desk attendant that if someone was blocking an upper body exercise machine, he would have used any one of the many other upper body machines in the facility, willingly and without hesitation. Single-guy stated that today was his leg day, and using an upper body machine was out of the question.

Single-guy asked the early morning desk attendant if blocking a leg machine for any reason whatsoever was tolerated, including that for the reason of keeping your heart rate up. The desk attendant informed single-guy that he wasn't sure what the gym policy was on blocking a piece of equipment and that is why he instructed single-guy to file a complaint with the gym manager when the g.m. shows up for work at 9am.

Question #1: How long have you been working out in gyms that cater to the public?

Question #2: Given the circumstances, do you think a gym should allow two (or maybe more) of their members to block another gym user who has a desire to use the same machine, in this case a leg press machine, for the sole purpose of keeping their heart rate up? Or, is blocking a machine for any reason permissable?

Queston #2 might be a tough question to answer. I'm having a tough time answering it. In arriving at an answer, I have to ask myself: is this issue primarily and solely a blocking issue? If so, then I would have to consider things like common courtesy, civility, manners and etiquette to arrive at an answer. Or is this issue more about personal goals? Specifically stated, a personal goal that involves the need for a person to keep their heart rate up during a specific exercise. If so, the aformentioned traits of common courtesy, civility and etiquette might still come into play. I'm still trying to formulate an answer to question #2. It's a tough one...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
There are many variables to consider, but overall…

1.) If the single guy (SG) wants to do rehab type exercises, then he’s probably gonna want to use less weight. How much were the double guys (DG) using? Stripping and reloading all those plates is a pain to do every 3rd set, and it is unreasonable to expect someone to do that in the middle of their workout. In that case, I would politely inform SG to please wait; that I would only be several more minutes.

2.) Everybody pays the same membership and thus has the same right to the equipment. DG’s were there first – they have first dibs. It is their station until they are finished using it. You are asking them if you may work in. It is a courtesy they could but are not required to offer to you.

3.) If a PT assigns you a specific workout, then great. But if your condition is at the point where it is mandatory/crucial that you follow that routine to the “T” then you should be going to rehab sessions where you can do your exercises correctly and uninterrupted.
My girlfriend is a physical therapist, my buddy is a D.P.T. with his own office, and my one other friend is a PTA. Two of the three (I haven’t talked with the third yet) agree that, in this particular context, SG’s excuse is a lame one to use in this situation.

4.) SG sounds like he may have some other "issues" in life. If nothing else, he's definitely got a healthy sense of entitlement going on for himself.

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
>Double-guys were using three 45lb plates on each end of the vertical leg press.

>Single guy never brought up the issue of rehabilitation during his encounter with double-guys. Note that if you have to perform physical therapy 6 times a week, it's not practical to perform p.t. excercises at a private clinic 6 times a week/24 times a month. That would be cost prohibitive. Many HMO's would not approve. Note that a physical therapist will instruct a patient on how to perform an esoteric excercise, just like a physical trainer would, and then they'll send the patient home to do the exercises. I'm basing that on a shoulder injury, a wrist injury, a back injury and a hamstring injury I once had, all sports related injuries.

"At no time during the actual incident did I hear single-guy tell either double-guy #1 or double-guy #2 that he was rehabilitating a knee injury. Single-guy was not in a wheelchair, nor was he seen using crutches or a cane. Single-guy was not limping nor did his gait appear to be in any way affected by anything negative or out of the ordinary."

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
>Double-guys were using three 45lb plates on each end of the vertical leg press.

Not terrible, but still an inconvenience to change so many times - especially when working fast.

>Single guy never brought up the issue of rehabilitation. Note that if you have to perform physical therapy 6 times a week, it's not practical to perform p.t. excercises at a private clinic 6 times a week/24 times a month. That would be cost prohibitive. Many HMO's would not approve.

If it was inpatient rehab, then he could be doing sessions every day for anywhere from 7-10 days (or more). That usually falls under different coverage.
Most outpatient sessions are not that frequent. I'm not familiar with other plans, but mine offers unlimited # outpatient treatments. Still, point taken.

"At no time during the actual incident did I hear single-guy tell either double-guy #1 or double-guy #2 that he was rehabilitating a knee injury. Single-guy was not in a wheelchair, nor was he seen using crutches or a cane. Single-guy was not limping nor did his gait appear to be in any way affected by anything negative or out of the ordinary."

Yeah.
That could be a complete line of shit or, at most, a half-truth.
There could be no PT at all, or he may have simply spoken briefly and casually with one who gave him a few exercises or even a sample routine to try for a while. I’ve seen this happen many times with my one buddy. That's why my GF never "advertises" the fact that she's a PT.

Still, SG has no more (or less) rights to anything in that gym than does anyone else.
Great points and topic.

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
"The desk attendant instructed single-guy to file a complaint to the gym manager during regular business hours. Single-guy stated that he wasn't sure if he would follow through with a formal complaint, but if he did, single-guy stated that, if asked, he would provide proof and documentation that he was under the care of a state board certified physical therapist, that he was in the early stages of a knee rehabilitation program, and that at this point in his rehabilitation program he was instructed to use only two types of gym equipment for his leg work. Single-guy went on to say that he was debating on freezing his gym contract, which would have required him to provide the gym with documentation of an existing injury as certified by his doctor."

Beener

• Getbig IV
It sounds like those two guys were not having rest in between eachother's sets. Which means there isnt any time for single-fella to work in. So i dont see the problem. Single guy shouldn't be such a bitch about it.

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
It sounds like those two guys were not having rest in between eachother's sets. Which means there isn't any time for single-fella to work in. So i dont see the problem. Single guy shouldn't be such a bitch about it.

My thoughts exactly! On the flip side/what if this had happened on a weekday at 6pm? Figuratively speaking, every gym in America is packed wall-to-wall with people at that time of the day. I get the fact that the double-guys said they were only going to be 3 minutes with the machine. But a statement like that always sounds a little dubious. Sort of like the one where Domino's says they'll have your pizza to you in 15 or 20 minutes. Or the guy who parks in your parking spot either at home or at work and when you confront him he says, "Hey I was just gonna be a minute, that's all."

Unless there's a timekeeper standing around keeping track of time with a stopwatch, sometimes 1 minute has a way of turning into 20 minutes is what I'm saying.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
::)

>Single guy never brought up the issue of rehabilitation during his encounter with double-guys. Note that if you have to perform physical therapy 6 times a week, it's not practical to perform p.t. excercises at a private clinic 6 times a week/24 times a month. That would be cost prohibitive. Many HMO's would not approve. Note that a physical therapist will instruct a patient on how to perform an esoteric excercise, just like a physical trainer would, and then they'll send the patient home to do the exercises. I'm basing that on a shoulder injury, a wrist injury, a back injury and a hamstring injury I once had, all sports related injuries.

This has NOTHING to do with the incident.
:

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
After both double-guys tell single-guy that he can't work in on the unit, double-guys add that they need to keep their heart rate up and that is why single-guy should wait until they're done with the machine.

The heart rate card sounds like a ruse. Double-guys were doing 10-12 reps, not 15 and up.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
U EXPECT ME TO READ ALL THAT?! ::)
No doubt about it...

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Most people are to dumb to follow any gym etiquette.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Christ, all that stuff looks complicated - I didn't read half of it.

Gym Etiquette for me = Put your weights away when finished and wipe away your sweat. That should be about it.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Christ, all that stuff looks complicated - I didn't read half of it.

Gym Etiquette for me = Put your weights away when finished and wipe away your sweat. That should be about it.

For some still to difficult.   >:(

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
U EXPECT ME TO READ ALL THAT?! ::)

Okay, fair enough, I'll break the questions down to just a few sentences:

Question #1: How long have you been working out in gyms that cater to the public?

Question #2: Do you think a gym should allow members to block another gym member who has a desire to use the same machine (in this case a hack squat machine) for the sole purpose of keeping their heart rate up? Or, is blocking a machine for any reason at all permissable? Or put another way, if someone comes up to you and asks, "Hey do you mind if I work in with you on this machine?" do you think it's proper, do you think it's justified to respond with, "No, you can't work in. You'll have to wait. There are other machines you can use. Please go use another machine." Do you condone that type of attitude?

Note that when answering question #2 I am not referring to cardio gear like a Lifecycle or a treadmill. I'm referring to weight machines; things like the bench press, the hack squat, the lat pulldown machine. Okay? Thanks.  :)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
#1-16 years at public gyms

#2- Yes you have the right to block an individual. When you ask to work in with someone, the expected answer is yes, because its human nature to help a stranger, most of the time. BUT, if the individual was there first and needs to stay at that station for a particular reason, then they can say no. Say I'm doing dropsets or supersets between two areas, I may be less likely to share. Single guy sounds like a bitch to me, never go tell the front desk, what is he, 9 years old?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
From the replies (cause I'm not reading all that shit)........

If someone doesn't want to share equipment, they don't have to, it may be rude but it is "first come, first serve" in the gym.

Having said that, I don't get many guys asking to work in, when I do, I usually have seen them around the gym for awhile so we "know" each other. Same thing when I want to work in,I'm not going to use a leg press machine if some little guy with 450#'s is using it, who wants to strip all those plates between sets?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Gym dude

• Getbig III
I would have to agree the single  guy dose sould like dumb ass for going up to the front desk and tell what problem is. If the single guy isnt all that happy at the gym that is at he should find another gym to go to instead of going up to the from desk and saying to the person at the front that two guys are hoging the leg press that singel guy wants to use.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Okay, fair enough, I'll break the questions down to just a few sentences:

~15~ years

Question #2: Do you think a gym should allow members to block another gym member who has a desire to use the same machine (in this case a hack squat machine) for the sole purpose of keeping their heart rate up? Or, is blocking a machine for any reason at all permissable? Or put another way, if someone comes up to you and asks, "Hey do you mind if I work in with you on this machine?" do you think it's proper, do you think it's justified to respond with, "No, you can't work in. You'll have to wait. There are other machines you can use. Please go use another machine." Do you condone that type of attitude?

Reason doesn't matter.  They're using it and said they'd be done in 3 minutes ~ or whatever
Single guy sounds like a newbie and a whiner.
:

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
hahahaha, "exercising their quads". ;D

Beener

• Getbig IV
My thoughts exactly! On the flip side/what if this had happened on a weekday at 6pm? Figuratively speaking, every gym in America is packed wall-to-wall with people at that time of the day. I get the fact that the double-guys said they were only going to be 3 minutes with the machine. But a statement like that always sounds a little dubious. Sort of like the one where Domino's says they'll have your pizza to you in 15 or 20 minutes. Or the guy who parks in your parking spot either at home or at work and when you confront him he says, "Hey I was just gonna be a minute, that's all."

Unless there's a timekeeper standing around keeping track of time with a stopwatch, sometimes 1 minute has a way of turning into 20 minutes is what I'm saying.

Yeah but the way i see it, when you get to a machine, its yours untill you're done your sets, letting others work in is just a nice thing to do, but only optional. Granted thats if you're gonna be a reasonable amount of time on it, not like ten to fifteen minutes.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
It can become a real pisser when people ask to work in with you. It makes you feel rushed whitch could lead to injury. Someone asked how long I was gonna be on the short back bench. Felt like smashing him with a dumbell >:(

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
It can become a real pisser when people ask to work in with you. It makes you feel rushed whitch could lead to injury. Someone asked how long I was gonna be on the short back bench. Felt like smashing him with a dumbell >:(
::) Settle down "mitch" it's only a workout.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!

On a similar note, someone suggested saying, "How many sets do you have left?" when you want to use a machine that someone else is currently using. That's code for "I have a need to use the same machine you're using." During your workout "career" you're bound to run into a situation where either someone asks to use the machine you're using or you want to use a machine someone else is using. That's gonna happen. Especially at a gym in Anytown, USA on a weekday at 6pm.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Working in has some grey areas, it's not black and white so it can be touchy, and requires some flexibility on the part of one or both sides.

Since there were already 2 guys on the machine and it was heavy weight that was not easily changed back and forth, it would be better for him to ask them how long they'll be on there instead of trying to work in. Even if it's not exactly what his routine called for, it wouldn't kill him to do something else while waiting, or to wait till the next day for that machine if necessary.

Asking that would serve a dual purpose, both knowing how long he'd have to wait, at the same time giving them a heads up that someone's waiting and therefore not to linger beyond what was needed.

All that could've worked but then the fact that they were brusque even rude to him made it worse; if they were gonna monopolize the machine (which made sense) then at least sound reasonable in having someone wait. At the same time, his determination to "work in" when they were using heavy weights on something that wouldn't easily allow 3 guys wasn't realistic.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Up to you. If you get there 1st, its yours. If u wanna share then do so, if u dont u dont have to. If im doing pulldowns or something where u can change the weight quickly, thats fine. If ive got 600lbs on the leg press and this person only wants 200, too bad, just wait till im done.

Theres no rules about sharing equipment, just dont hog multiple machines at once or take ages on a machine. You may be in a hurry or a time limit, but never rush someoneelses workout.
No doubt about it...