Author Topic: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?  (Read 14744 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
Been bitten by two...bad experiences. Don't like the look either.

I've been bitten by way more than two. 

A cocker spaniel is the only breed to bite me in the face---this one did it unannounce, no snarl, no stare, no curlin of the lip, nothing in terms of a warning prior to drawing blood.  I reached into its kennel for the bowl it had dumped over and it just lunged at my face catching me below the eye.  Cockers can be hardcore fear biters.  They can also be very aggressive depending on what their experiences are with groomers.  I know more than one that has to be tranqulized to go to the groomer.  Now, I don't necessarily blame the dog 100% for that behavior, the groomers they've seen in the past are partially to blame, but the bottom line is they bite and they can bite without warning. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »
I've been bitten by way more than two. 

A cocker spaniel is the only breed to bite me in the face---this one did it unannounce, no snarl, no stare, no curlin of the lip, nothing in terms of a warning prior to drawing blood.  I reached into its kennel for the bowl it had dumped over and it just lunged at my face catching me below the eye.  Cockers can be hardcore fear biters.  They can also be very aggressive depending on what their experiences are with groomers.  I know more than one that has to be tranqulized to go to the groomer.  Now, I don't necessarily blame the dog 100% for that behavior, the groomers they've seen in the past are partially to blame, but the bottom line is they bite and they can bite without warning. 

I hate cockerspaniels.
I hate the State.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »
I just knew this would become a pitbull thread.  :-\

Pitbulls are like baby jesus in a dogs body according to pitbull owners.

Fact of the matter is 95% of pitbull owners shouldn't own the breed cause they are idiots, like *most* of the people on this board who own one.  I believe emn1964 owns a pitbull and he is one of the exceptions.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »

Fact of the matter is 95% of pitbull owners shouldn't own the breed cause they are idiots, like *most* of the people on this board who own one.  I believe emn1964 owns a pitbull and he is one of the exceptions.

You calling me an idiot? 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
You calling me an idiot? 

lolllolz     sorry   ::)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
You calling me an idiot? 

Oh stop, you should know better.

For the record I had no idea what breed the rescue you have is.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »

Wow, what an ignorant statement.......so now *most* people who own pits are idiots? ::)

What kind of animals do you have bad"temper35"?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
I owned a English Bulldog and she would not hurt anything. Completely placid and friendly.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
Oh stop, you should know better.

For the record I had no idea what breed the rescue you have is.

I personally dont' have a breed rescue any more.  I've worked with pitbull rescues for over 10 years now.  The one I ran with my wife in college was a pitbull rescue.  My wife does more than I do with that now than I do, I'm just the "muscle" to go with her on site visits and make sure she's safe.  I also get to play with the dogs.  ;)

I'm a consulting veterinarian for a St. Bernard rescue in Ohio and with various exotic animal "rescues" across the midwest and northeast. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
Wow, what an ignorant statement.......so now *most* people who own pits are idiots? ::)

What kind of animals do you have bad"temper35"?

I have a Rottweiler.

Most people who own pitbulls should not own a dog.  They buy them as a status symbol, don't train them, and try to make them look as badass as they can.  A dog is not a toy, nor is it a trophy.  It is a dog.

*Most* people who own pitbulls are idiots.  I can repeat this every time I post if you wish, because it is true.  I have had this discussion like 10x on this forum.  Where have you been? 

As of the past 5-10 years, pitbulls are the "in" breed.  Kind of like when "the Fast and the Furious" came out so all kinds of people ran out and bought stupid ass exhausts and stickers for their little piece of shit cars, but know NOTHING about racing?  You can go to a pet shop in Philly and get a pitbull for like 150 bucks.  That is because they are everywhere and everyone wants one.  I know of 4-5 acquaintances whom in the past year got dogs, and they all got pitbulls or a mix including some APBT.  They are also very popular with women because they think they are "protective".  If you wanted a protective dog, honey, you picked the wrong breed.  There are plenty of smart pitbull owners out there who own one because they know the breed and its characteristics.  To believe people in this country buy pitbulls because they love how athletic, loyal and good with people they are, would be the equivalent of admitting you are a dumbass.

Most people buy pitbulls because they "look cool", they are "tough", and they will "protect my family"(one of which isn't entirely true, one which is subjective, and one which is contextual).  All 3 of those are stupid fucking reasons to buy a dog.

PS - I love the offense people take to my comments, haha.  I specifically use the word "most" for a reason.  Has no one ever had a logic class in college?  Most pitbull owners =/= all pitbull owners.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
I personally dont' have a breed rescue any more.  I've worked with pitbull rescues for over 10 years now.  The one I ran with my wife in college was a pitbull rescue.  My wife does more than I do with that now than I do, I'm just the "muscle" to go with her on site visits and make sure she's safe.  I also get to play with the dogs.  ;)

I'm a consulting veterinarian for a St. Bernard rescue in Ohio and with various exotic animal "rescues" across the midwest and northeast. 

I thought you still had a rescue living with you who was a pitbull mix?  Guess not.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »
I thought you still had a rescue living with you who was a pitbull mix?  Guess not.

Oh, I misunderstood you.  My old female was a "rescue" the same as the Dogo.  Hoo was a Christmas gift to my wife.  She technically wasn't a "rescue". 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
I have a Rottweiler.

Most people who own pitbulls should not own a dog.  They buy them as a status symbol, don't train them, and try to make them look as badass as they can.  A dog is not a toy, nor is it a trophy.  It is a dog.

*Most* people who own pitbulls are idiots.  I can repeat this every time I post if you wish, because it is true.  I have had this discussion like 10x on this forum.  Where have you been? 

As of the past 5-10 years, pitbulls are the "in" breed.  Kind of like when "the Fast and the Furious" came out so all kinds of people ran out and bought stupid ass exhausts and stickers for their little piece of shit cars, but know NOTHING about racing?  You can go to a pet shop in Philly and get a pitbull for like 150 bucks.  That is because they are everywhere and everyone wants one.  I know of 4-5 acquaintances whom in the past year got dogs, and they all got pitbulls or a mix including some APBT.  They are also very popular with women because they think they are "protective".  If you wanted a protective dog, honey, you picked the wrong breed.  There are plenty of smart pitbull owners out there who own one because they know the breed and its characteristics.  To believe people in this country buy pitbulls because they love how athletic, loyal and good with people they are, would be the equivalent of admitting you are a dumbass.

Most people buy pitbulls because they "look cool", they are "tough", and they will "protect my family"(one of which isn't entirely true, one which is subjective, and one which is contextual).  All 3 of those are stupid fucking reasons to buy a dog.

PS - I love the offense people take to my comments, haha.  I specifically use the word "most" for a reason.  Has no one ever had a logic class in college?  Most pitbull owners =/= all pitbull owners.

You know whats funny, I know people who would group "rockweiler" owners exactly as you have.

The thing about pitbulls is I know quite a few doctors (both human and veterinarians), lawyers, nurses, college professors, and others who are very well educated who own pitbulls because of how loyal, athletic, and devoted the dogs are.  Thats why I own the ones I do, thats why my wife (who is a doctor and a college professor) is so devoted to the breed.   Its a group of "bad" owners combined with idiot legislators who are ruining things for everyone.  Also mark my words, if there is legal success in eliminating pitbulls legally (like some of the antipit people out there) it will open a pandoras box of breed specific legislature that will harm virtually everyone who owns a large breed dog.  Insurance companies declining to provide homeowners insurance because someone owns a dog like a boxer is just the beginning.   

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
You know whats funny, I know people who would group "rockweiler" owners exactly as you have.

The thing about pitbulls is I know quite a few doctors (both human and veterinarians), lawyers, nurses, college professors, and others who are very well educated who own pitbulls because of how loyal, athletic, and devoted the dogs are.  Thats why I own the ones I do, thats why my wife (who is a doctor and a college professor) is so devoted to the breed.   Its a group of "bad" owners combined with idiot legislators who are ruining things for everyone.  Also mark my words, if there is legal success in eliminating pitbulls legally (like some of the antipit people out there) it will open a pandoras box of breed specific legislature that will harm virtually everyone who owns a large breed dog.  Insurance companies declining to provide homeowners insurance because someone owns a dog like a boxer is just the beginning.   

So which % would those responsible dog owners you have mentioned make up in the larger scheme of pitbull owners?  I am going to say a miniscule %, agreed?

The only people I know who own Rottweilers are brilliant with their dogs.  The trainer of my obedience class has the #1 obedience Rottweiler in the country, and the #3 dog.  As a breed, they have fallen out of "Style", as I believe people generally understand the amount of work it takes to raise one, as people some day will with pitbulls.  Pitbulls on the other hand are a dime a dozen.  On my street alone, just my street, 4 out of 6 dog owners has a pitbull.  They also never leave the yard.  The random people in my neighborhood I do see walking them have a metal link chain for a leash and the dog is walking so far out in front of them, that their body is angled and arm is bouncing.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »
One thing I will say about a Rottweiler is that they are not for everyone & should not be a breed to replace Lassie as the all American family dog.

They require a lot of work, exercise, & a strong presence/leadership (alpha some call it).  I sometimes think of it as being a good role model as we're the one who set the standard for him to follow. 

Ours is the greastest Dog I've ever had.  Extremely loyal, friendly & smart.  He also requires alot of attention.  He has a very active drive.  He needs to be walked everyday or exercised.  When he doesn't, he becomes very mischievous.  The last thing you want is a 100+ pound dog like a Rottie that wants to find his own form of activities to keep himself busy.  Usually things become chewed, swallowed, destroyed, etc..  When I miss a walk or a run with him in the hills...he will sit there & stare at me & follow me around until I break out a toy, a wrestling match, or the leash for a walk. 

I've seen Rotties in the past where I would not trust them with other people other than the owner.  I believe they need a strong guidance & proper influence (socialization) right from the start.  They need a set of rules to be established & followed to the T.  As a puppy, he challenged some rules, but learned by persistence & a firm hand, that rules are not broken & will be always followed.  Now that he's 2....he doesn't have a desire to 'test'...because there would be no need to try.

Trust me...although he has all these rules....he's spoiled in alot of ways & probably has more 'play time' & fun like any other dog.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
One thing I will say about a Rottweiler is that they are not for everyone & should not be a breed to replace Lassie as the all American family dog.

They require a lot of work, exercise, & a strong presence/leadership (alpha some call it).  I sometimes think of it as being a good role model as we're the one who set the standard for him to follow. 

Ours is the greastest Dog I've ever had.  Extremely loyal, friendly & smart.  He also requires alot of attention.  He has a very active drive.  He needs to be walked everyday or exercised.  When he doesn't, he becomes very mischievous.  The last thing you want is a 100+ pound dog like a Rottie that wants to find his own form of activities to keep himself busy.  Usually things become chewed, swallowed, destroyed, etc..  When I miss a walk or a run with him in the hills...he will sit there & stare at me & follow me around until I break out a toy, a wrestling match, or the leash for a walk. 

I've seen Rotties in the past where I would not trust them with other people other than the owner.  I believe they need a strong guidance & proper influence (socialization) right from the start.  They need a set of rules to be established & followed to the T.  As a puppy, he challenged some rules, but learned by persistence & a firm hand, that rules are not broken & will be always followed.  Now that he's 2....he doesn't have a desire to 'test'...because there would be no need to try.

Trust me...although he has all these rules....he's spoiled in alot of ways & probably has more 'play time' & fun like any other dog.

Great post.  The Rottweiler in a nutshell basically.  They are also total CLOWNS.  Personality like I never imagined a dog could have.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Great post.  The Rottweiler in a nutshell basically.  They are also total CLOWNS.  Personality like I never imagined a dog could have.

Yeah..ours has a "funny" side as I call it.  Sometimes...I really think he believes he's funny or a jokester.  For example, when he wants to goof around & play with me...he'll walk behind me & grab the tab on the back of my sneaker.  When I turn around...he's got this silly expression on his face...he's sitting real still....with his mouth opened 1/4" & I can just see his bottom teeth.  I usually reply "oh...you just think you're funny?"....& then he runs around like a goofy bastard like he was just "busted".

::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
I have a Rottweiler.

Settle down "temper" no one is offended by your blanket statement. ::)

I could turn that statement to humans and offend several, but I won't.

I have pits and many of my friends have pits. None for fighting or "family protection".
F'ing dogs would probably play with an intruder before they protected anything. ::)

BUT, the people I know are all very responsible with their dogs and a few have young children that the dogs just love. The breed gets a bad rap, and I for one, will not feed into it. These dogs are the most loyal, fun loving dogs I have experienced and when the time comes, I will get another.

BTW for what it's worth, I have never had a bad experience with a pit, Rott, or any other of the "bully" dogs, only with the goddamned "anklebiters". >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »

Yeah, that was a good post. In my opinion rottweilers pretty much have the same extremes that you see with pitbulls.  As a matter of fact, I think its a bit asanine to suggest that they are really that much different in extremes of perceptions other than the media loves to jump on a pitbull story right now.  Rotts were the "evil dogs" of the 1980's when I was a kid.  They have fallen from favor by the punks and as a result the media doesn't pick up on them as much.  

I've encountered some rottweilers I'll call flat out dangerous.  I mean unpredictable, will maul you with little prevocation or warning dangerous.  Unfortunately, for some reason, those Rotts owners all seem to be equally stupid.  One of the worst Ive seen was a dog I saw in Kentucky that as I was doing a physical exam, lunged almost off the table biting my hand---not just biting it, but taking my entire hand up to mid forearm in its mouth and crushing down.  I did the only thing I could, I doubled my fist as tight as I could and shoved it down the dogs throat until it gagged and let me go.  The owner literally EXPLODED on me for "CHOKING HIS ROCKWEILER".   It didn't matter at all that the damned dog had been trying to eat me less than 30 seconds before.    

In all honesty, I've met far fewer pitbulls I'd put in that catagory than Rotts.  At the same time, I've met way more pitbull owners who flat out do increadibly stupid things with their dogs, setting themselves up for problems with the dog and are completely oblivious to what they are doing.  Rottweiler owners can have very good dogs, if they are responsible owners and take the time to socialize and train the dogs just like pitbulls.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »
The only people I know who own Rottweilers are brilliant with their dogs.  The trainer of my obedience class has the #1 obedience Rottweiler in the country, and the #3 dog.  As a breed, they have fallen out of "Style", as I believe people generally understand the amount of work it takes to raise one, as people some day will with pitbulls.  Pitbulls on the other hand are a dime a dozen.  On my street alone, just my street, 4 out of 6 dog owners has a pitbull.  They also never leave the yard.  The random people in my neighborhood I do see walking them have a metal link chain for a leash and the dog is walking so far out in front of them, that their body is angled and arm is bouncing.

Just out of curiosity how old are you?   

Go to any large city in the midwest and go to the poorer neighborhoods or trailer parks on the outskirts of the city.  As a matter of fact, go to any trailer park and look at the Rotts there.  Also go to "white trashville" in the Midwest.  You will find more dumbass "Rockwilers" there than I think you are willing to accept.  When I worked for the Humane Society in vet school 12 years ago, I'd be willing to bet 1 out of 6 dogs that came in were listed as at least "Half-Rockwiler".   Rott mixes were a dime a dozen because no one who owned a male dared to nueter it, so the dogs ran around in an orgie of making puppies.  The weirdest mix I saw was the Scottie-Rottweiler mix one of my vetschool classmates had.   They looked like powerlifter Scotties. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »

Just out of curiosity how old are you?   

Go to any large city in the midwest and go to the poorer neighborhoods or trailer parks on the outskirts of the city.  As a matter of fact, go to any trailer park and look at the Rotts there.  Also go to "white trashville" in the Midwest.  You will find more dumbass "Rockwilers" there than I think you are willing to accept.  When I worked for the Humane Society in vet school 12 years ago, I'd be willing to bet 1 out of 6 dogs that came in were listed as at least "Half-Rockwiler".   Rott mixes were a dime a dozen because no one who owned a male dared to nueter it, so the dogs ran around in an orgie of making puppies.  The weirdest mix I saw was the Scottie-Rottweiler mix one of my vetschool classmates had.   They looked like powerlifter Scotties. 

I'm 24.

What does white trash owning "rockwilers" in the midwest have to do with anything at all?  I live in Philadelphia, and I am telling you I could probably drive around with a camera just in my neighborhood and get 15+ pictures of unique pitbulls.  They are everywhere.

12 years ago Rottie's were still a popular breed, having residual effect from the late 80s.

I just have no idea what you are trying to say.  People own Rottweilers.  They own Sharpei's and Poodles too, so what?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
Yeah, that was a good post. In my opinion rottweilers pretty much have the same extremes that you see with pitbulls.  As a matter of fact, I think its a bit asanine to suggest that they are really that much different in extremes of perceptions other than the media loves to jump on a pitbull story right now.  Rotts were the "evil dogs" of the 1980's when I was a kid.  They have fallen from favor by the punks and as a result the media doesn't pick up on them as much. 

I've encountered some rottweilers I'll call flat out dangerous.  I mean unpredictable, will maul you with little prevocation or warning dangerous.  Unfortunately, for some reason, those Rotts owners all seem to be equally stupid.  One of the worst Ive seen was a dog I saw in Kentucky that as I was doing a physical exam, lunged almost off the table biting my hand---not just biting it, but taking my entire hand up to mid forearm in its mouth and crushing down.  I did the only thing I could, I doubled my fist as tight as I could and shoved it down the dogs throat until it gagged and let me go.  The owner literally EXPLODED on me for "CHOKING HIS ROCKWEILER".   It didn't matter at all that the damned dog had been trying to eat me less than 30 seconds before.   

In all honesty, I've met far fewer pitbulls I'd put in that catagory than Rotts.  At the same time, I've met way more pitbull owners who flat out do increadibly stupid things with their dogs, setting themselves up for problems with the dog and are completely oblivious to what they are doing.  Rottweiler owners can have very good dogs, if they are responsible owners and take the time to socialize and train the dogs just like pitbulls. 

I agree with all of this, and you are slamming me ( or trying to) and agreeing with me all in the same breath.  Just like I am claiming now, I am sure when Rotties were the "in" breed, in terms of popularity, that there were idiots who should not own one everywhere....EXACTLY like pitbulls and their owners today.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2008, 09:12:13 PM »
Settle down "temper" no one is offended by your blanket statement. ::)

I could turn that statement to humans and offend several, but I won't.

I have pits and many of my friends have pits. None for fighting or "family protection".
F'ing dogs would probably play with an intruder before they protected anything. ::)

BUT, the people I know are all very responsible with their dogs and a few have young children that the dogs just love. The breed gets a bad rap, and I for one, will not feed into it. These dogs are the most loyal, fun loving dogs I have experienced and when the time comes, I will get another.

BTW for what it's worth, I have never had a bad experience with a pit, Rott, or any other of the "bully" dogs, only with the goddamned "anklebiters". >:(

Simmer down "chaos", it aint that serious.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »
Simmer down "chaos", it aint that serious.
You meltdown in two posts in a row towards Vet, then tell me to simmer down? ;D

You obviously don't see the irony of what you are saying........in this entire thread or your last few posts.

That is all.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
You meltdown in two posts in a row towards Vet, then tell me to simmer down? ;D

You obviously don't see the irony of what you are saying........in this entire thread or your last few posts.

That is all.

The meltdown is so overwhelming I don't know what to do with myself.

Have a good night sweetheart.