Author Topic: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?  (Read 14746 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:40:11 AM »
Anyone know?
I hate the State.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:47:04 AM »
Golden Retriever
Labs
:

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:36 AM »
Golden Retriever
Labs

Bloodhounds apparently too....
I hate the State.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
Pitbulls.  Its just when they aren't gentle you read about it in the news.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
Pitbulls.  Its just when they aren't gentle you read about it in the news.

that depends on the dog and how they are raised, but I know quite a few of them that are very good with children---much better than you'd expect by listening to the media. 

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »
that depends on the dog and how they are raised, but I know quite a few of them that are very good with children---much better than you'd expect by listening to the media. 

I take mine to work with me everyday, and have been doing so since she was a pup.  We have a number of disabled people that belong to my club because of the volunteer work I do.  She has a really gentle way about her with those people.  Very odd, almost like she knows.  She's especially careful around a blind lady.  She will go over to her and sit next to her and lean against her leg to let her know she's there.  The lady then pets her and talks to her.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
My two boys are great with everyone. I just wouldn't suggest walking into my house un-invited. Chaos for some reason doesn't like people just walking in. You can knock and come in or be let in and he is fine, but just walking in is a huge NO-NO..

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
english mastiff

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
I just knew this would become a pitbull thread.  :-\

Certain dogs are bred for behavioural characteristics and I think the consensus would be that Labbys are more gentle than dobermans or rotweilers, etc.
I hate the State.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Okay we won't make it a Pitbull thread. Chaos is a staffy so how about we talk about staffie's???

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
I'm asking this because one day day if I ever settle down I want to get a dog but I would like to get a gentle breed.
I hate the State.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »
I just knew this would become a pitbull thread.  :-\

Certain dogs are bred for behavioural characteristics and I think the consensus would be that Labbys are more gentle than dobermans or rotweilers, etc.

I disagree with that to a point.   It depends on the type of "Lab" you get now days.  There is a serious divergence in the breed---from the traditional hard working breed--a dog that was capable of being rock solid steady in a duck blind and then exploding out into action to retrieve (remember they are retrievers) or a dog that will help its owner haul in a boat and then sit by his side all day long as he drives the truck around the farm to these bounce off the wall super hyper things you see so often now days.   There is no way in the world I'd call those dogs "gentle".  They are too busy vibrating.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »
I disagree with that to a point.   It depends on the type of "Lab" you get now days.  There is a serious divergence in the breed---from the traditional hard working breed--a dog that was capable of being rock solid steady in a duck blind and then exploding out into action to retrieve (remember they are retrievers) or a dog that will help its owner haul in a boat and then sit by his side all day long as he drives the truck around the farm to these bounce off the wall super hyper things you see so often now days.   There is no way in the world I'd call those dogs "gentle".  They are too busy vibrating.   

Bloodhound; Scottish Deerhound....
I hate the State.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »
i have a pitbulls and agree there great dogs however i will say dont get anything small, i mean under 35 pounds will probaly be mean and snip at you/kids alot. i personally think larger dogs are gentler, pits, danes, mastiffs, aussies, mixs, hounds, labs, (be careful with golden retrivers not the smartest dog and kind of jumpy) dogs that were ment to work are usualy ure best dog.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 04:28:05 AM »
Great danes are a large but very gentle and well-tempered breed.

:)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 05:43:15 AM »
Most hounds but perticularly Bassetts
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:30 AM »
Great danes are a large but very gentle and well-tempered breed.

But they have big asses though!
   :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »

But they have big asses though!
   :D

That they do!   :D

They will crawl up and sit on your lap if you let them.   ::)

:)

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
Boxers.  Some have referred to them as gentle giants.  Neither of mine has ever been in the least bit aggressive towards anybody.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
Most hounds but perticularly Bassetts

I disagree with that completely. 

Its a common saying among veterinarians that Beagles are Babies and Bassets are Bitches...... 

meaning that they will both howl like crazy as they bite the crap out of you.   My wife had to have multiple dog bite related quaranteens when we were in veterinary school working at the humane society----all of them came from either beagles, basset hounds, or mixes of the two breeds. 

that said, I think beagles and bassets are both great dogs.  My mother in laws basset is a trip.  I just dont rank them anywhere near the "gentle" category because of their predisposition for nipping, then howling loudly. 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »
I disagree with that completely. 

Its a common saying among veterinarians that Beagles are Babies and Bassets are Bitches...... 

meaning that they will both howl like crazy as they bite the crap out of you.   My wife had to have multiple dog bite related quaranteens when we were in veterinary school working at the humane society----all of them came from either beagles, basset hounds, or mixes of the two breeds. 

that said, I think beagles and bassets are both great dogs.  My mother in laws basset is a trip.  I just dont rank them anywhere near the "gentle" category because of their predisposition for nipping, then howling loudly. 

Thats cool Vet, I disagree with you completely as well.
In 25 years of Beagling I have yet to meet an overly rank or nasty hound. If they have become that way in recent years if due to chronic inbreeding. Other than an wierd Lasha Apso who was a great dog that I had as a kid we  had several beagles/Bassetts/hound mixes, all were sweet wonderful gods. Here are a few generic blogs i grabbed

Temperament
The Basset Hound is often considered a friendly breed. Bassets are friendly and welcome the opportunity to make new friends. For this reason they are an excellent pet for families with children and other pets. In fact, it is recommended that since Bassets are "pack" animals, if the Basset must be left alone on a daily basis during the daytime while the family is away, a second pet in the family will keep a Basset out of "trouble". Bassets hate to be alone. Like Beagles, Bassets can be excitable and may be when meeting someone new, especially other dogs

Temperament:  Affectionate, lazy, devoted, quiet, and peaceful, the Basset Hound does exceptionally well with a family. This breed loves children, and generally does well with other animals. They can be taught tricks, but tend to be stubborn so patience is key

Basset Hound is a very calm and companionable breed. The Basset Hound is among the most good natured and easygoing of breeds. They are an especially loyal breed known for their pleasant disposition and emotional sensitivity. Around strangers, Bassets are friendly and welcome the opportunity to make new friends. For this reason they are an excellent pet for families with children and other pets. In fact, it is recommended that since Bassets are “pack” animals, if the Basset must be left alone on a daily basis during the daytime while the family is away, a second pet in the family will keep a Basset out of “trouble”. Bassets hate to be alone.

While Bassets love food and may be less energetic than some breeds, they will exercise regularly if given the chance. Most Bassets enjoy activities that use their natural endurance, like long walks or hikes. They also enjoy tracking games that let them use their powerful nose.

Like other hounds, Basset Hounds are often difficult to obedience train. Many Basset Hounds will obey commands when offered a food reward, but will “forget” the training when a reward is not present. Bassets are notoriously difficult to housebreak. Training and housebreaking are not impossible, however, and can be accomplished with consistency and patience on the part of the owner.

Im not a vet like you are and this is all general info but on a whole Ive always found our Bassets to be big pussy cats. Maybe they are different when you poke them with needles. You have tons of experience with all kinds of dogs mine has mostly been with hounds with the exeption of my old Lasha Apso, 2 English Setters and a GSH, all 3 dogs were my uncles while I was a kid. The main reason I have a Beagle/Basset/?? mix now is there gentle nature. But to each his own!

X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
Thats cool Vet, I disagree with you completely as well.
In 25 years of Beagling I have yet to meet an overly rank or nasty hound. If they have become that way in recent years if due to chronic inbreeding. Other than an wierd Lasha Apso who was a great dog that I had as a kid we  had several beagles/Bassetts/hound mixes, all were sweet wonderful gods. Here are a few generic blogs i grabbed

Temperament
The Basset Hound is often considered a friendly breed. Bassets are friendly and welcome the opportunity to make new friends. For this reason they are an excellent pet for families with children and other pets. In fact, it is recommended that since Bassets are "pack" animals, if the Basset must be left alone on a daily basis during the daytime while the family is away, a second pet in the family will keep a Basset out of "trouble". Bassets hate to be alone. Like Beagles, Bassets can be excitable and may be when meeting someone new, especially other dogs

Temperament:  Affectionate, lazy, devoted, quiet, and peaceful, the Basset Hound does exceptionally well with a family. This breed loves children, and generally does well with other animals. They can be taught tricks, but tend to be stubborn so patience is key

Basset Hound is a very calm and companionable breed. The Basset Hound is among the most good natured and easygoing of breeds. They are an especially loyal breed known for their pleasant disposition and emotional sensitivity. Around strangers, Bassets are friendly and welcome the opportunity to make new friends. For this reason they are an excellent pet for families with children and other pets. In fact, it is recommended that since Bassets are “pack” animals, if the Basset must be left alone on a daily basis during the daytime while the family is away, a second pet in the family will keep a Basset out of “trouble”. Bassets hate to be alone.

While Bassets love food and may be less energetic than some breeds, they will exercise regularly if given the chance. Most Bassets enjoy activities that use their natural endurance, like long walks or hikes. They also enjoy tracking games that let them use their powerful nose.

Like other hounds, Basset Hounds are often difficult to obedience train. Many Basset Hounds will obey commands when offered a food reward, but will “forget” the training when a reward is not present. Bassets are notoriously difficult to housebreak. Training and housebreaking are not impossible, however, and can be accomplished with consistency and patience on the part of the owner.

Im not a vet like you are and this is all general info but on a whole Ive always found our Bassets to be big pussy cats. Maybe they are different when you poke them with needles. You have tons of experience with all kinds of dogs mine has mostly been with hounds with the exeption of my old Lasha Apso, 2 English Setters and a GSH, all 3 dogs were my uncles while I was a kid. The main reason I have a Beagle/Basset/?? mix now is there gentle nature. But to each his own!

LOL.  Thats fine.  Please reread what I put in the last lines of my post.   I think both bassets and beagles are GREAT dogs.   I haven't owned a beagle in about 15 years, but I grew up with them both as family pets and as rabbit hunters.  My motherinlaw currently has a basset and she's a great dog.   

I think i kind of got caught up in the nuances of the question.  I just have a hard time categorizing them as "very gentle" based on the experiences I've had with them as a veterinarian.  And please don't misunderstand me on this one.  Everything you posted about the breeds, I agree with--- like I said before, they are great dogs.  A beagle or a basset are unlikely to chase you down and bite you unless its some strange throwback, they aren't "aggressive" like some other breeds.  In my experience, some of them (not all) tend to have a pronounced fear response to unpleasant stimuli.  When I think of a "very gentle" dog, I think of one a kid can poke, prod, annoy, and basically torture like small children will do.   

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »
My girlfriend has an English pointer and they are really gentle (It gets bullied by the neighbour's kittens).

Greyhounds are also pretty placid.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
LOL.  Thats fine.  Please reread what I put in the last lines of my post.   I think both bassets and beagles are GREAT dogs.   I haven't owned a beagle in about 15 years, but I grew up with them both as family pets and as rabbit hunters.  My motherinlaw currently has a basset and she's a great dog.   

I think i kind of got caught up in the nuances of the question.  I just have a hard time categorizing them as "very gentle" based on the experiences I've had with them as a veterinarian.  And please don't misunderstand me on this one.  Everything you posted about the breeds, I agree with--- like I said before, they are great dogs.  A beagle or a basset are unlikely to chase you down and bite you unless its some strange throwback, they aren't "aggressive" like some other breeds.  In my experience, some of them (not all) tend to have a pronounced fear response to unpleasant stimuli.  When I think of a "very gentle" dog, I think of one a kid can poke, prod, annoy, and basically torture like small children will do.   

Its all good!  ;D
X

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »
Boxers and bulldogs are the gentlest dogs ive known and protective of little ones. Mastiffs are good dogs as well but are very big and may not be suited for small children.