Author Topic: Over wieght cristians ?  (Read 2087 times)

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
Over wieght cristians ?
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
I seem to be getting real jaded when it comes to professed Cristian's, who claim to live godly lives, and are obese. We claim to be made in Gods image, so, God is a fat, slovenly, obese man who cant walk up a flight of stairs. It makes a little angry (edit really angry) when said individuals try to " teach" me about living a godly life, and they're to lazy to  take 30 Min's. a day to better themselves physically. Just thought I'd get some of your guys thoughts.   
   Also, isn't slothfullness a deadly sin?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Over wieght cristians ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »
mitchyboy, I must say I agree with you.  It's not necessarily overweight Christians claiming to live a Godly life that makes my antennae go up...but anyone who claims to live a Godly life.   We are all sinners living in our fleshly bodies and will sin even if we are Christian.  Everyone has something with which they struggle.

How exactly does the person define "a Godly life?"  By not engaging in certain sins but engaging in others?  By not sinning at all?  That is impossible.

I could never claim to live a Godly life as my standards for living a Godly life are probably only attainable by God Himself.  It's different if the person says they are "trying to live a Godly life."

I remember when those Westboro Church of God wackjobs came to my town and I saw in the paper they had been on the corner yelling about other people's sins.  Meanwhile there was a pic a couple of them were obese.  Are they ignoring gluttony as a sin?   Ridiculous, irritating and offensive.

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
mitchyboy you may find this interesting:
(from gotquestions.org)

Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: "Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?"

Answer: Gluttony seems to be something that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins...but for some reason gluttony is accepted or tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette, but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table to the point that they feel like they are going to explode. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags." Proverbs 28:7 declares, "He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father." Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, "put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony."

Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger), and unable to keep our mouth from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but rather we are to have control over our appetites. See Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:2, 2 Peter 1:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, and 2 Corinthians 10:5. God has blessed us by filling the earth with foods that are delicious, nutritious, and even pleasurable. We should honor God's creation by enjoying these foods, and by eating them in appropriate quantities.

Recommended Resources: Thin Again: A Biblical Approach to Food, Eating and Weight Management by Arthur and Judy Halliday.

R

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »
Restraining yourself from anything alone is not a way to live a good life. If you've found your peace, it doesn't matter how much you eat. In this case however, you will probably find out that overeating is unnecessary.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I seem to be getting real jaded when it comes to professed Cristian's, who claim to live godly lives, and are obese. We claim to be made in Gods image, so, God is a fat, slovenly, obese man who cant walk up a flight of stairs. It makes a little angry (edit really angry) when said individuals try to " teach" me about living a godly life, and they're to lazy to  take 30 Min's. a day to better themselves physically. Just thought I'd get some of your guys thoughts.   
   Also, isn't slothfullness a deadly sin?

Having been in a church that stresses healthy living, I definitely see your point. Though, unlike yourself, I haven't been made "really angry". Some people who find out I'm into lifting weights and see me downing a protein shake tend to make some rather weird comments about what such allegedly is doing to my kidneys, my heart, etc.

While I certainly would put one's character over his/her physique, emphasizing a healthier lifestyle, in relation to one's spiritual walk is of great benefit.

Praise the Lord and pass the NITRO-TECH!!!

;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
Some people who find out I'm into lifting weights and see me downing a protein shake tend to make some rather weird comments about what such allegedly is doing to my kidneys, my heart, etc.

One time I was buying groceries and had bought some "Ripped Fuel."  The kid bagging my groceries held up the bottle and said, "You know these are steroids, right?"

lololoz ;D
R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
One time I was buying groceries and had bought some "Ripped Fuel."  The kid bagging my groceries held up the bottle and said, "You know these are steroids, right?"

lololoz ;D

Some people think that any thing, other than food on the plate, is anabolic steroids. In college, one of the freshman football players was drinking some weight-gain powder (Joe Weider's Sugar-Free BIG, I believe), along with his meal. When one of his buddies came to sit next to him and saw what he was drinking, his response: "I don't drink that $)@*, man. That #($*@ shrink your nuts!!".

It took nearly all of my strength to keep from busting out laughing, at that one. I thought, "How IN THE WORLD can anyone think that WEIGHT GAINER powder is a steroid?"

Today, some folks think creatine products are steroids. It's just plain silly to me.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
Some people think that any thing, other than food on the plate, is anabolic steroids. In college, one of the freshman football players was drinking some weight-gain powder (Joe Weider's Sugar-Free BIG, I believe), along with his meal. When one of his buddies came to sit next to him and saw what he was drinking, his response: "I don't drink that $)@*, man. That #($*@ shrink your nuts!!".

It took nearly all of my strength to keep from busting out laughing, at that one. I thought, "How IN THE WORLD can anyone think that WEIGHT GAINER powder is a steroid?"

Today, some folks think creatine products are steroids. It's just plain silly to me.

Hey MCWAY, did Satan give man the knowledge to make anabolic steroids?

Belief in talking snakes, magic apples, rib women and World Floods with no evidence is just plain silly to me.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
Hey MCWAY, did Satan give man the knowledge to make anabolic steroids?

In case you forgot, anabolic steroids were made for medicinal purposes. There's nothing "evil" about them, so your Satan question makes no sense.

Belief in talking snakes, magic apples, rib women and World Floods with no evidence is just plain silly to me.

As is creatine or weight gainer being steroids and life coming from a 5-billion-year-old blob of "goo" (with no evidence) are to me. BTW, I don't recall any apples in the Genesis account.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
In case you forgot, anabolic steroids were made for medicinal purposes. There's nothing "evil" about them, so your Satan question makes no sense.

As is creatine or weight gainer being steroids and life coming from a 5-billion-year-old blob of "goo" (with no evidence) are to me. BTW, I don't recall any apples in the Genesis account.

There is plenty of eivdence for us coming from a blob of goo; just because your ego can't handle it nor understand it does not mean it isn't there.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
There is plenty of eivdence for us coming from a blob of goo; just because your ego can't handle it nor understand it does not mean it isn't there.

Right back at you (minus the "goo" part, of course!  ;D )!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »

lol at Stella's story. 

Do you get the "do you take steroids" questions?  I had a former employee ask me on three separate occasions over the course of a few months.  I even tried to show him pictures of guys on the sauce to illustrate that I was a long way from looking like (the old) Arnold, but people who know nothing about training, nutrition, or supplementing just look at a person with a little muscle and equate that with drug use.  It took me weeks to convince this same guy to try ZMA (he thought it was a steroid).   :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
lol at Stella's story. 

Do you get the "do you take steroids" questions?  I had a former employee ask me on three separate occasions over the course of a few months.  I even tried to show him pictures of guys on the sauce to illustrate that I was a long way from looking like (the old) Arnold, but people who know nothing about training, nutrition, or supplementing just look at a person with a little muscle and equate that with drug use.  It took me weeks to convince this same guy to try ZMA (he thought it was a steroid).   :)

You must be a Jesus Beast then...
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
yeah, i've always wondered, when I see fat people at church...

Gluttony = Eating too much.
Sloth = Not exercising enough.

I'm sure they justify it (I'm too busy, etc)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
You must be a Jesus Beast then...

That would be Colossus and his 22 and 1/2 inch neck.   :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
lol at Stella's story. 

I had an Oriental kid actually ask me where he could buy steroids. I told him that I don't know, only to have him asked (in a state of shock) if I took them. I remember thinking "Here I am struggling to buy Mega Mass and GNC's cheap milk and egg protein powder, and this guy thinks I'm taking 'roids!!??

And this was before I got over 200 lbs. Since I broke that mark, I've been asked that a time or two.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
I had an Oriental kid actually ask me where he could buy steroids. I told him that I don't know, only to have him asked (in a state of shock) if I took them. I remember thinking "Here I am struggling to buy Mega Mass and GNC's cheap milk and egg protein powder, and this guy thinks I'm taking 'roids!!??

And this was before I got over 200 lbs. Since I broke that mark, I've been asked that a time or two.

I sort of remember 200 pounds.  Haven't seen it since about 1993.  That's probably what I should weigh.   :-\

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
Cool replies guys. The reasons I get pretty steamed about this topic is, the church i attend, will disassociate you from them,for a lot of things, but not gluttony. Any type of illicit drug use, over drinking, sex before marriage, even being a homosexual, witch I don't agree with since my little brother is flamming ;D. Yet we have morbidly obese men and women, not only in good standing, but leading the congregation. Sigh

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
Cool replies guys. The reasons I get pretty steamed about this topic is, the church i attend, will disassociate you from them,for a lot of things, but not gluttony. Any type of illicit drug use, over drinking, sex before marriage, even being a homosexual, witch I don't agree with since my little brother is flamming ;D. Yet we have morbidly obese men and women, not only in good standing, but leading the congregation. Sigh

You wouldn't happen to be Pentecostal, would you?

;D

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
If you ask people well read on the matter... the excuse is typically from the bible. I'm paraphrasing but: it's not what goes in to a man's mouth that condems him but what comes out of it.

In general, Christians tend to pick and choose which scriptures they will follow.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
Nope, try again ;D

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 01:33:06 AM »
fat christians: The body is a temple, and they build it big in reverence of god.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 01:55:34 AM »
fat christians: The body is a temple, and they build it big in reverence of god.

Jebus lubs dem no matta wat....
I hate the State.