Author Topic: Did the SHW Class ruin amatuer BBing in the USA?  (Read 1900 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Did the SHW Class ruin amatuer BBing in the USA?
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »
I remember when I was younger there were some great amatuer BBers and the HW class would be just overflowing with incredible BBers.  The 93 USA had so many great HW's going in...tons of hype, everyone who followed BB knew all these guys..Cormier, Francios, Demayo, Titus, Newman, Fletcher....the list goes on and on.  It was like that for awhile now I couldn't tell you 5 guys that are HW's or SHW's.  Why?  Cause when they split up the class they just watered everything down.  How many really successful SHW's have there been in the pro's..artwood won a show but that's it and Freeman has been a great pro but aside from that no one's set the world on fire.  I can't name one guy who's won the HW class over the last few years.

I say they get rid of the SHW and see what happens for a few years cause the overall quality of the SHW and HW class has gone down the toilet. 

discuss.
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Did the SHW Class ruin amatuer BBing in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
not really, if you look at the NPC nats. or USA's or any state or local level shows the most impressive classes are always the light heavies and middles honestly, it's only in the IFBB ranks where the physiques get big and blocky.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »
not really, if you look at the NPC nats. or USA's or any state or local level shows the most impressive classes are always the light heavies and middles honestly, it's only in the IFBB ranks where the physiques get big and blocky.

yeah...I just remember all the hype going into the 93 USA, that was cool as hell and would be great if it could get back to that and I just don't see it happening with the HW/SHW split..plus I just don't see alot of great SHW's.  I could be totally wrong but I just think it was a good idea but it just totally watered things down.  I can name 2 SHW's right now and only cause they're in MD all the time-Centaponi and Brewer and even's got his pro card so really I can name one....I know the guy who was second was named Greg or something like that.  There's just no "great" HW's or SHW's out there to justify the split.
nasser=piece of shit

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
I remember when I was younger there were some great amatuer BBers and the HW class would be just overflowing with incredible BBers.  The 93 USA had so many great HW's going in...tons of hype, everyone who followed BB knew all these guys..Cormier, Francios, Demayo, Titus, Newman, Fletcher....the list goes on and on.  It was like that for awhile now I couldn't tell you 5 guys that are HW's or SHW's.  Why?  Cause when they split up the class they just watered everything down.  How many really successful SHW's have there been in the pro's..artwood won a show but that's it and Freeman has been a great pro but aside from that no one's set the world on fire.  I can't name one guy who's won the HW class over the last few years.

I say they get rid of the SHW and see what happens for a few years cause the overall quality of the SHW and HW class has gone down the toilet. 

discuss.

You forgot about the very first SuperHeavyweight Champion, Dennis James (1998 USA SHW and overall champion) and 1999 Superheavweight (and overall) champion, Melvin Anthony. Both of them have done quite well in their careers.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:03:53 AM »
You forgot about the very first SuperHeavyweight Champion, Dennis James (1998 USA SHW and overall champion) and 1999 Superheavweight (and overall) champion, Melvin Anthony. Both of them have done quite well in their careers.

opps.  I thought they got thier card back when there was only the HW class...who won the HW class those years? 
nasser=piece of shit

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »

This is right on point. When I competed as a middle, we'd have 35 people in my class, maybe 7 in HW and 3 in SHW....and the LHW nearly always won,.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
This is right on point. When I competed as a middle, we'd have 35 people in my class, maybe 7 in HW and 3 in SHW....and the LHW nearly always won,.
all the more reason to just combine the class at this point.

I really don't see the point of it anymore.
nasser=piece of shit

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
the average height of males in the US is about 5'10 (of young people it's pushing 6').  but if you're 5'10 in bodybuilding you pretty much have to be in the heavyweight or super-heavyweight class.  so you have five weight classes for those below the average height, and two for those above.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
opps.  I thought they got thier card back when there was only the HW class...who won the HW class those years? 

The first superheavyweight class at the national level was at the USA in 1998, won by James. Jason Arntz won the USA heavyweight class in 1998 and would go on to win the Nationals that same year.

As for 1999, I believe Garrett Downing won the heavyweight class that year, earning his pro card in the process (the first year the USA started offering two pro cards). But, he lost the overall to SHW winner, Melvin Anthony, who was the lightest of all the supers that year.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
I'll Break It down for yall!  Heavies and Supers that have turned pro since 1998.

1998:

Dennis Jamers-USA's-Super
Orville Burke-Nationals-Super
Jason Arntz-Nationas-Heavy

1999:

Melvin Anthony-USA-Super
Garret Downing-USA-Heavy
Mike Morris-N.A.-Heavy
Aaron Maddron-Nationals-Super
King Tamali-Nationals-Heavy

2000:

Bob Chic-USA-Super
Tevita Aholelei-USA-Heavy
Victor Martinez-Nationals-Heavy
Robert Washington-Nationals-Super

2001:

Quincy Taylor-USA-Super
Fred Bigot-USA-Heavy
Jeremy Freeman-N.A.-Super
Art Atwood-Nationals-Super
Branch Warren-Nationals-Heavy

2002:

Idrise Ward El-USA-Super
Troy Alves-USA-Heavy
Tony Freeman-Nationals-Super
Joe N'ftoro-Nationals-Heavy

2003:

Mike Dragna-USA-Heavy
Matt Duvall-Nationals-Super
Frank Roberson-Nationals-Heavy

2004:

Will Harris-USA-Heavy
Chris Cook-Nationals-Super
Capriese Murray-Nationals-Heavy

2005:

Phil Heath-USA-Heavy
Marcus Haley-N.A.-Super
Bill Willmore-Nationals-Super
Jonathan Rowe-Nationals-Heavy

2006:

Omar Deckard-USA-Super
Mike Ergas-USA-Heavy
Leo Ingram-N.A.-Super
Desmond Miller-Nationals-Super
Lional Brown-Nationals-Heavy

2007:

Ben White-USA-Super
DeShaun Grimez-USA-Heavy
Evan Centopani-Nationals-Super
Adorthus Cherry-Nationals-Heavy

There ya have it boys.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
You forgot one:

2007 North American Heavyweight and overall champion, Erik Fankhouser.

But, thank you, nonetheless for the list.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
You forgot one:

2007 North American Heavyweight and overall champion, Erik Fankhouser.

But, thank you, nonetheless for the list.

I knew I was forgetting someone!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
what % of those guys do you think had success upon getting thier pro card? 

thanks for the list BTW.
nasser=piece of shit

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »
what % of those guys do you think had success upon getting thier pro card? 

thanks for the list BTW.

Success competing or success financially, they are two completely different things!

jason armstrong

• Getbig IV
  • Riverview Trailer Park St Louis MO
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 01:30:21 PM »

discuss.

Yes it has at the Nationals USA's and JR's.

most of the lower level shows just have fatties in them that don't diet enough and think they are huge. a few in each class.
check out the pics of the supers at any national show and once you get past the top 3-5 all the bodies look like shit and there are usually 20 comp in each class so that would be 40 if the didn't have the super heavies and just the heavies.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 04:13:48 AM »
Success competing or success financially, they are two completely different things!

Competition.
nasser=piece of shit