Author Topic: McCain's Impending Economic Plan  (Read 856 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
McCain's Impending Economic Plan
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
I'd liked to know what McCain's healthcare plan is too.

McCain Must Seize Economic Issue While Democrats Fight On
By Matt Towery
Thursday, March 6, 2008
townhall.com

Last week, our firm, InsiderAdvantage, became the first independent pollster to indicate that Hillary Clinton was leading the Texas Democratic primary. After she won both Texas and Ohio, numerous GOP pundits were gleeful over the prospects of a likely Democratic battle all the way to the Democrats' convention this summer.

While conventional wisdom might suggest that such a protracted intra-party battle would give Republican John McCain lots of time to raise money and catch his breath, there is another side to the situation.

We are in a political season unlike any that we have seen in most of our lifetimes. People are watching political debates in numbers usually reserved for pop singing contests or television ballroom-dancing battles.

The Clinton-Obama war is providing both political junkies and everyday Americans with plenty of entertainment. And with no GOP contest to follow, the Democratic fight is truly the only show on the air. Neither uncomfortable press conferences with President Bush nor endless speculation about who might be the next Republican vice-presidential running mate will keep John McCain in the limelight.

McCain has been unfairly characterized as a man who does not understand economics, and who has been a lifelong traitor to conservative approaches to national economic policy.

With all due respect to those who deride him, let me recall my years as a partisan, and a very involved one. I recall that my friend Jack Kemp, who once campaigned for me, was never one to be viewed as anything but a bedrock conservative. He worked with a young John McCain on a conservative Republican economic agenda long before certain columnists and pundits darkened the doors of Washington, D.C.

I'll freely admit that McCain's failure to originally support the Bush tax cuts was a serious error, but I will also note that he truly was consistent with his longtime mantra that spending must be reigned in at the same time that taxes were cut.

McCain has good advisors and supporters -- as did Kemp -- who could serve as the nucleus of a dynamic economic summit in which the brightest minds of not only the GOP, but of a host of nonpartisan organizations, could meet to determine a realistic and dynamic plan to turn our nation's economy around; not just for a year, but for many years to come.

Has anyone noticed that Hillary Clinton, who clearly seized on the economy and her asserted experience in dealing with "hard times" to appeal to voters in Ohio, is using the slogan "Solutions for America." I bring this up because former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich left the presidential race behind in favor of his think-tank effort called "American Solutions."

My advice to John McCain would be to get together "the old gang" that basically pushed the Reagan economic policies of the 1980s -- the Gingrichs, Kemps and others of that era -- and add to that roster some people with fresh views on the future of our economy. It should be a serious undertaking.

If these men and women sequestered themselves away, be it for a week or a month, and produced an entirely new and innovative way of dealing with both taxation and government spending, they would do their candidate the biggest favor imaginable.

First, they would appear to acknowledge that we are in big economic trouble, versus a president who last week seemed shocked that gas prices could rise to $4 a gallon, and who dismissed any possibility of recession. That only confirms the notion of a Republican Party that is out of touch.

Second, such an effort, if more than simply window dressing, could attract the attention of many independent voters who appreciate Obama and Clinton's interest in the economic plight of Americans, but who aren't necessarily convinced that they offer any concrete answers.

Hanging his hat on the success of The Surge in Iraq is risky business for McCain. And it seems silly to waste his undisputed record as the enemy of federal budget earmarks -- unjustified pork for individual lawmakers' states. That valuable political commodity is obscured by endless talk of Iraq; it leads to a media drumbeat that economics just isn't McCain's cup of tea.

"Seize the day," goes the Latin maxim. If McCain and his party don't, they will find this special political holiday they now enjoy to be have been wasted time; particularly when they are left facing the inevitable Democratic ticket that, in one order or another, will include both the names Clinton and Obama.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: McCain's Impending Economic Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »
So his plan is to lock himself in a room with a bunch of people and come up with a plan?

::)  ;D

Also, I nominate this passage as the understatement of the year:

"First, they would appear to acknowledge that we are in big economic trouble, versus a president who last week seemed shocked that gas prices could rise to $4 a gallon, and who dismissed any possibility of recession. That only confirms the notion of a Republican Party that is out of touch."

but to fair so are the dems....   lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:54:13 AM »
The dem contenders have both admitted there is a huge economic problem.
Warren Buffet says we're about to hit a recession.

On the other hand...

Bush says we're not headed for a recession.
McCain promises to keep Bush tax and economic policies in place.

So you essentially have
(Dems & Buffet) vs. (Bush & McCain).

Simple question.  Who do you believe? 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Jack Kemp is an avowed supplyside crackpot.

Yes, let us go back to the Reagan economic policies which included:

*Irresponsible tax cuts

*Tax increases 7 times in his 8 years as president including the single largest tax increase in American history

*Deficit spending

*Increasing the National Debt over 160%

*Borrow and Spend, spend, spend

Looks like a winner to me!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
So his plan is to lock himself in a room with a bunch of people and come up with a plan?

::)  ;D

Also, I nominate this passage as the understatement of the year:

"First, they would appear to acknowledge that we are in big economic trouble, versus a president who last week seemed shocked that gas prices could rise to $4 a gallon, and who dismissed any possibility of recession. That only confirms the notion of a Republican Party that is out of touch."

but to fair so are the dems....   lol
LOL

As opposed to what?  Honestly, you don't think these politicians come up with their own plans and policies????  Surely you don't. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »
LOL

As opposed to what?  Honestly, you don't think these politicians come up with their own plans and policies????  Surely you don't. 

no, no of course not.  It's just the article really didn't say much about his plan other than they are going to get together and make one.

I'm curious and open minded about McCain's plan...............  Even though i don't care for him as a potential president. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
no, no of course not.  It's just the article really didn't say much about his plan other than they are going to get together and make one.

I'm curious and open minded about McCain's plan...............  Even though i don't care for him as a potential president. 
You and me both, bro.   :-\

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
Jack Kemp is an avowed supplyside crackpot.

Yes, let us go back to the Reagan economic policies which included:

*Irresponsible tax cuts

*Tax increases 7 times in his 8 years as president including the single largest tax increase in American history

*Deficit spending

*Increasing the National Debt over 160%

*Borrow and Spend, spend, spend

Looks like a winner to me!

Where did republicans get the understanding they are for small government?   The repugs are the biggest spenders in US history.
And why are they homophobic when theyre always getting busted doing men???

At least clinton used the right sex for a blow job..

Biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »

Where did republicans get the understanding they are for small government?   The repugs are the biggest spenders in US history.
And why are they homophobic when theyre always getting busted doing men???

At least clinton used the right sex for a blow job..

Biggest hypocrites on the planet.
I wonder about that sometimes myself.  Could you imagine if the democrats were hit with half of the gay scandals that infest the republican party?

Rush, Sean, Neil, Ann, Maureen, and all the other deplorable human beings would be telling endless fag jokes about any democrat.

Look at how John Edwards was villified as a 'fag' and 'the brecht (sp?) girl'.  His crime?  He ran for president as a democrat.  Is he gay or was he caught in a gay scandal? No.  He did get a haircut though.

If one can't take professional criticism that's one thing, but to pull bullshit out of thin air just to be 'edgy' and hurtful is the epitome of talentless cowardice.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »
Two months ago when asked how the economy was doing  McInSane said it was "on solid underpinnings" and that the economy was strong.  ::)

Nuff said.