Author Topic: "Planet Muscle" - how would you improve the mag?  (Read 6329 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: "Planet Muscle" - how would you improve the mag?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
less ads >:(
A

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 07:37:19 PM »
Hire a crew of guidos for image enhancement.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
the only way magazines are going to survive is by providing something that is not available on the internet.  at the moment that is high quality photos on heavier paper.   

make it a bi-monthly photojournalism magazine on higher quality paper.  60 pages tops.   when the photos are about a contest, you can write about the contest.  when the photos are about an athlete, you can write about the athlete.  forget training articles, supplement reviews, gossip columns, etc. 

cover athletes that aren't receiving coverage anywhere else.

What athletes are you referring to, Tim?
HAHA, RON.....

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
I loved PLANET MUSCLE at first but then I saw their "articles" were just ads for supplement companies...This was okay at first because these "articles were very informative about the sups, but then the whole mag started to go that way... PLANET MUSCLE began losing credibility with me because of that...I think Planet Muscle shopuld do three things

1. become a gossip rag (but with true stories) commenting on the true lifestyles and sex lives of bodybuilders...(we're all interested in this)

2. Give us some stories about the old days of bodybuilding (60s, 70s, 80s) especially on what it was like being a Weidser athlete, how the Weiders treated their bodybuilders, what they paid them,

3. I don't think the mag should talk about steroid cycles and stuff like that...I find that really boring because the vast majority of readers don't want to do steroids, can't afford them, and can't find anyone to buy them from anyway
but I would like to read articles where bodybuilders talk about what it was like going over to the "dark side", why they did it, how they responded, what it felt like, how it affected their sex lives and health, etc.

4. I think Jeff needs to talk about what it was like to be married to the hottest piece of ass in bodybuilding, Cory Everson. Tell us what it was like sleeping with her, and what Cory's personality was really like and what it felt like to lose her when they divorced..I know it's really personal but that would be a hot issue!   

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
stop lying and selling bullshit products to kids.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »
Hire a crew of guidos for image enhancement.
damn
A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
How about making a real no bullshit, no scams, no b.s ads mag for once, with the real shit that goes on in bodybuilding, cycles, hormone section, among other things, not this flex fluff like 20 way's to improve your bi's by summer time or top 20 low carb meals crap that we're all sick of.  I'm not saying to make it all drugs/gear but have some of the real truth in there, contest prep, etc.

Flex tried this remember? Back in the mid 90's, they had cycles, had a guy talking about his own cycles (complete with the pics of needles), interviews with former bbers like Mike Christian talking about their cycles and when they first started, this was back when MD was claiming to be about natural bbing, you see how the tables have turned.

It doesn't really sell, and especially in this climate, where their is a which hunt in sports, a mag like this would further bring the Beltway Boys sniffing into the goings on, in this freakshow called pro bodybuilding.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »
What athletes are you referring to, Tim?

up and coming amateurs, winners of the NABBA, WABBA, and PDI pro contests, etc.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 10:26:57 PM »
I have always enjoyed the articles that were about strength athletes and bodybuilders of yesteryear. Jeff knows a LOT about the history of the iron game and is one of the few that writes about it.  For instance, the recent article on the bench press and its history was GREAT. 

I think the format of the magazine could use some work.  The style of the articles actually makes them difficult to read. 

I think pics from guys like this site's Musclecentre should be used as well.  His pics are "hardcore" and of a style that is visually appealing in my opinion.

w

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
If you had a chance to improve the bodybuilding magazine "Planet Muscle" what would you do? I'm meeting with the magazine owner (Jeff Everson) next week and would love to pass on constructive feedback from the GetBig crew.     

In health,
Scott Welch

Start by dropping the slick corporate look of current mags. They pander to the supp companies and never cross the line. Expose the bullshit and you will win loyal fans and readers. Find a way to balance this with your supp. sponsors and you have something.

Clearly seperate the mag into sections for people trying to build a natural body, and for those who are using chemical help. They have different needs. Dont hide from the AAS issue. discuss it. No need to print cycles or reccomend, but dont ignore it either.

Cover the whole of bodybuilding. Enough of the cookie cutter articles. Interview show promoters, gym owners, retired greats, cover ALL shows, amatuer and pro, and talk to more than the same 5 pros. Talk to and abut natural guys who have built decent physiques, and sjow what is the life of a struggling amatuer and established pro. No sugar coating. There is a much bigger world to BB than "make your biceps grow". Use a no bullshit format with "normal" pictures. Not staged fake weights and spandex. Look at Baliks old shots from golds gym for reference. Make it like a sports illustrated for those who are interested in the game.

Come at it like Jeff should, which is with great inside knowledge and historical knowledge. Skip the BS and if you can do that while keeping the supp sponsors youre going to make believers.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »
I loved PLANET MUSCLE at first but then I saw their "articles" were just ads for supplement companies...This was okay at first because these "articles were very informative about the sups, but then the whole mag started to go that way... PLANET MUSCLE began losing credibility with me because of that...I think Planet Muscle shopuld do three things

1. become a gossip rag (but with true stories) commenting on the true lifestyles and sex lives of bodybuilders...(we're all interested in this)

2. Give us some stories about the old days of bodybuilding (60s, 70s, 80s) especially on what it was like being a Weidser athlete, how the Weiders treated their bodybuilders, what they paid them,

3. I don't think the mag should talk about steroid cycles and stuff like that...I find that really boring because the vast majority of readers don't want to do steroids, can't afford them, and can't find anyone to buy them from anyway
but I would like to read articles where bodybuilders talk about what it was like going over to the "dark side", why they did it, how they responded, what it felt like, how it affected their sex lives and health, etc.

4. I think Jeff needs to talk about what it was like to be married to the hottest piece of ass in bodybuilding, Cory Everson. Tell us what it was like sleeping with her, and what Cory's personality was really like and what it felt like to lose her when they divorced..I know it's really personal but that would be a hot issue!  

TEstify my brother !!!

CORY BE SLAMMMMMMIN  :o

Moosejay

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
Make it free again.  I really enjoyed Jeffs mag, but didnt havee the cash a s a youth to pay for it.

Jason

No offense, but how could one not possibly have 6 or 7 dollars at any stage of life?

Moosejay

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
If it were free, it'd be even more of a catalogue.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 08:25:35 AM »
No offense, but how could one not possibly have 6 or 7 dollars at any stage of life?
he just said "as a kid", jackass.

Moosejay

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 08:39:20 AM »
he just said "as a kid", jackass.

I am a jackass? Why are you so hostile?

Being broke is a choice, father of the squad.

Relax.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »
I am a jackass? Why are you so hostile?

Being broke is a choice, father of the squad.

Relax.
because you come off as the typical "pro wannabe" who lives in his car on Venice Beach. :D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
because you come off as the typical "pro wannabe" who lives in his car on Venice Beach. :D

And you living in Mom's basement, posting on the net each day, residing near St. Louis is different....how?  ??? ??? ???

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »

The subscription went from free to like 35/40 bucks a year.  Alot of money for an 18 year old kid with a shitty job and school to pay for.

Jason

PS. squadfather owns your mind.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »
The subscription went from free to like 35/40 bucks a year.  Alot of money for an 18 year old kid with a shitty job and school to pay for.

Jason

PS. squadfather owns your mind.
hahahhaaa, i guess "guys" like "moosejay" were making millions with their paper routes as teenagers so they can't understand average peoples problems. ;D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »
hahahhaaa, i guess "guys" like "moosejay" were making millions with their paper routes as teenagers so they can't understand average peoples problems. ;D

Surely it wasnt the schmoes on the route that paid generously to "deliver" to the back door.

Jason

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
Surely it wasnt the schmoes on the route that paid generously to "deliver" to the back door.

Jason
hahahaa, impossible, "moosejay" would never accept money for something he loves so much.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
how about some real photos of bodybuilders. what i mean is phots other than contest bodybuilders. how about having a section devoted completly to offseason diet,training, and photos.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »
Planet Muscle I have not heard of that mag. The way that I would improve Planet muscle.I would have articles about diffrent various pros on there offseason diets and there diets when they are cuting for a show plus articles on new supplements that are coming out and lots of photos of very hot fitness chicks.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »
I agree with most of you....lets see bodybuilders and some shmoes in the mag as they really look when working out...tank tops, sweats...go around to different gyms and profile them..take some pics of shmoes in the gym too (the ones in shape)...let them have some fame by being in the mags...do short interviews with them and find out what their diet and routine is and how they got into shape...ask them what supplements THEY take....this has more credibility with the average reader than juiced up BBer's and those stupid before and after supplement ads...show real men and women working out...I know it's the ros that sell...but you can have all of this in a special section in the back of the mag...show REAL before and AFTER photos of shmoes...and have some integrity by refusing all ads with models who are photo-shopped or morphed....

I think one of the real problems with bodybuilding mags and rags is that bodybuilding is pretty much a boring -ass sport even for those who participate in it..how many times can you jazz up the same work-out routine by giving it a fancy name? The  HIT method.....Doggcrapp.... .blood volume method...weightlifting is weightlifting...just pick up the goddamn weight and lift!...to be honest if you start a bodybuilding mag, by issue #4 you have nothing left to talk about!....so the mags keep regurgitating the same stuff over and over...3 sets of dumbell flyes 10-12 reps...bench press, 3 sets 10-12 reps....over and over....see what I mean?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »
And again you GOTTA TALK ABOUT CORY EVERSON and what it was like being married to her....it was twenty years ago....she won't mind!!!!!!!!