Author Topic: Honolulu gas price may hit $4 by summer  (Read 1094 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Honolulu gas price may hit $4 by summer
« on: March 09, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
 >:(

Click on the link for tips on how to save money on gas. 

Posted on: Sunday, March 9, 2008

By Greg Wiles
Advertiser Staff Writer

How are you coping with rising gas prices? Send an e-mail to hawaii@honoluluadvertiser.com to tell us about it.

It may not be long before you're paying $4 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline in Honolulu, perhaps as early as this summer.

Prices of premium and medium-grade gasoline already have spilled over the $4-a-gallon mark on Maui, and the Honolulu average price for diesel fuel set a record of $3.879 on Friday.

Passing the $4 mark for regular will add about $200 a year to the gas bill of an average Honolulu driver.

"It probably represents taking your wife to dinner four times," said David Hackett, president of Stillwater Associates LLC, an oil industry consultant. "You do hear restaurants saying, 'Yeah, we're feeling it.' "

Rising gas prices can hurt the broader economy as consumers have less to spend elsewhere. And the prices could change motorists' habits.

"The days of just hopping in your car and just driving without thinking about the cost of fuel, those days are gone," said Barney Robinson, operator of two service stations, in Kahala and the airport area, and a gasoline dealer since 1985.

"It's a lifestyle adjustment that a lot of people have to make."

Some motorists are already taking steps, such as cutting back on driving by consolidating trips to stores, work or school into a single outing and buying cheaper grades of gasoline.

"Getting around is just getting very expensive," said Terry McBarnet, vice president of Maui Oil Co., a Kahului-based distributor of gasoline on Maui and Lana'i and operator of Paia Chevron. "I think everybody is finding energy to be very expensive. Certainly I am."

The statewide average price of regular has gone up 9.6 cents in the past month and 25 percent in the past year. Crude oil futures started 2007 around $60 a barrel, and have surged ever higher, hitting a new intraday record of $106.54 on Friday. Gasoline prices tend to follow crude prices.

There are a myriad of factors for the increase, most of which are little comfort to people paying $50 or more when filling their gas tanks.

Around the state, budget-conscious drivers are dusting off fuel-saving practices from September 2005, when hurricanes Katrina and then Rita disrupted production and wheeled already rising prices above $3 a gallon for the first time.

According to American Automobile Association data, the peak price for regular came on Sept. 18, 2005, when the average at Hawai'i stations was $3.68.

At the time, West Texas Intermediate crude futures prices were in the $60- to $70-a-barrel range. Last week, a barrel of the sweet crude was trading in the low $100 range.

That has some oil experts saying $4 a gallon gas could be a reality this summer. Hawai'i already has the highest average gasoline price in the nation.

"It certainly could get to $4, but we're not calling $4 yet," said oil consultant Hackett. "Mostly because I hope it won't."

. . . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080309/NEWS01/803090371

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Honolulu gas price may hit $4 by summer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »
in a few more years you'll wish the price was still $4

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »
This absolutly has to be regulated for the good of our country...It would be so easy to end the recession by putting that money back in the pockets of middle class.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:46:10 PM »
That's really interesting. I did not know that.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
That's really interesting. I did not know that.

;D ;D ;D   That means you can run for President!!!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »
This absolutly has to be regulated for the good of our country...It would be so easy to end the recession by putting that money back in the pockets of middle class.

how? whatever they do to the oil companys. we the consumers pay the bill

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:00:40 PM »
how? whatever they do to the oil companys. we the consumers pay the bill

Well at this point, does the low dollar affect the price?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
>:(

Click on the link for tips on how to save money on gas. 

Posted on: Sunday, March 9, 2008

By Greg Wiles
Advertiser Staff Writer

How are you coping with rising gas prices? Send an e-mail to hawaii@honoluluadvertiser.com to tell us about it.

It may not be long before you're paying $4 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline in Honolulu, perhaps as early as this summer.

Prices of premium and medium-grade gasoline already have spilled over the $4-a-gallon mark on Maui, and the Honolulu average price for diesel fuel set a record of $3.879 on Friday.

Passing the $4 mark for regular will add about $200 a year to the gas bill of an average Honolulu driver.

"It probably represents taking your wife to dinner four times," said David Hackett, president of Stillwater Associates LLC, an oil industry consultant. "You do hear restaurants saying, 'Yeah, we're feeling it.' "

Rising gas prices can hurt the broader economy as consumers have less to spend elsewhere. And the prices could change motorists' habits.

"The days of just hopping in your car and just driving without thinking about the cost of fuel, those days are gone," said Barney Robinson, operator of two service stations, in Kahala and the airport area, and a gasoline dealer since 1985.

"It's a lifestyle adjustment that a lot of people have to make."

Some motorists are already taking steps, such as cutting back on driving by consolidating trips to stores, work or school into a single outing and buying cheaper grades of gasoline.

"Getting around is just getting very expensive," said Terry McBarnet, vice president of Maui Oil Co., a Kahului-based distributor of gasoline on Maui and Lana'i and operator of Paia Chevron. "I think everybody is finding energy to be very expensive. Certainly I am."

The statewide average price of regular has gone up 9.6 cents in the past month and 25 percent in the past year. Crude oil futures started 2007 around $60 a barrel, and have surged ever higher, hitting a new intraday record of $106.54 on Friday. Gasoline prices tend to follow crude prices.

There are a myriad of factors for the increase, most of which are little comfort to people paying $50 or more when filling their gas tanks.

Around the state, budget-conscious drivers are dusting off fuel-saving practices from September 2005, when hurricanes Katrina and then Rita disrupted production and wheeled already rising prices above $3 a gallon for the first time.

According to American Automobile Association data, the peak price for regular came on Sept. 18, 2005, when the average at Hawai'i stations was $3.68.

At the time, West Texas Intermediate crude futures prices were in the $60- to $70-a-barrel range. Last week, a barrel of the sweet crude was trading in the low $100 range.

That has some oil experts saying $4 a gallon gas could be a reality this summer. Hawai'i already has the highest average gasoline price in the nation.

"It certainly could get to $4, but we're not calling $4 yet," said oil consultant Hackett. "Mostly because I hope it won't."

. . . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080309/NEWS01/803090371

Why don't you pray to Jesus to lower the price, eh? :D
I hate the State.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
Why don't you pray to Jesus to lower the price, eh? :D

that's probably the best bet at this point

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

It's already over $4 in the Bay Area.   >:(

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »
It's already over $4 in the Bay Area.   >:(

where are you in the bay area?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »

I'm in Sacramento, but was in Oakland last week and saw regular unleaded for $4.09 near Jack London Square.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:23 PM »
I'm in Sacramento, but was in Oakland last week and saw regular unleaded for $4.09 near Jack London Square.

I was in SF yesterday and saw it @ 3.89 but it was a bit cheaper on the peninsula

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
If you are fortunate enough to live in paradise then too fuckin' bad. No sympathy.  :D
!

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
just paid 80.10€ for 56 liters...

1€ is app. 1.5$ and liter ia around 1/4 of a gallon

Maybe I'll just order one tank container from Honolulu...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »
If you are fortunate enough to live in paradise then too fuckin' bad. No sympathy.  :D

I just paid $60 to fill up my tank.   >:(  Not happy.  Can't wait till my kids are out of school for the summer so I can take the bus again. . . .   

But living here doesn't hurt.