Author Topic: Vatican Adds Seven New Deadly Sins Including Abortion, Contraception and Drug. .  (Read 2897 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Vatican Adds Seven New Deadly Sins Including Abortion, Contraception and Drug-Dealing
Monday, March 10, 2008

By Richard Owen

ROME —  Drug pushers, the obscenely rich, environmental polluters and “manipulative” genetic scientists beware — you may be in danger of losing your mortal soul unless you repent.

After 1,500 years the Vatican has brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalization. The list, published yesterday in L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, came as the Pope deplored the “decreasing sense of sin” in today’s “secularized world” and the falling numbers of Roman Catholics going to confession.

The Catholic Church divides sins into venial, or less serious, sins and mortal sins, which threaten the soul with eternal damnation unless absolved before death through confession and penitence.

It holds mortal sins to be “grave violations of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes,” including murder, contraception, abortion, perjury, adultery and lust.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that “immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into Hell.”

Although there is no definitive list of mortal sins, many believers accept the broad seven deadly sins or capital vices laid down in the 6th century by Pope Gregory the Great and popularized in the Middle Ages by Dante in "The Inferno": lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy and pride.

Christians are exhorted instead to adhere to the seven holy virtues: chastity, abstinence, temperance, diligence, patience, kindness and humility.

Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican body which oversees confessions and plenary indulgences, said after a week-long Lenten seminar for priests that surveys showed 60 percent of Catholics in Italy no longer went to confession.

He said that priests must take account of “new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalization.” Whereas sin in the past was thought of as being an individual matter, it now has “social resonance.”

“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor’s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos,” he said.

Bishop Girotti said that mortal sins also included taking or dealing in drugs, and social injustice which caused poverty or “the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few.”

He said that two mortal sins which continued to preoccupy the Vatican were abortion, which offended “the dignity and rights of women,” and pedophilia, which had even infected the clergy itself and so had exposed the “human and institutional fragility of the Church.”

The mass media had “blown up” the issue “to discredit the Church,” but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it, according to Girotti.

Addressing the Apostolic Penitentiary seminar, the Pope said there was “a certain disaffection” with confession among the faithful. Priests had to show “divine tenderness for penitent sinners” and admit their own failings.

“Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own ‘I’, and their hearts harden in sin. Those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from Him obtain grace and forgiveness.”

The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularized West were “making do without God.”

He said that hedonism and consumerism had even invaded “the bosom of the Church itself, deeply undermining the Christian faith from within, and undermining the lifestyle and daily behavior of believers.”

Eastern Catholics do not recognize the same distinction between mortal and venial sins as the Western or Latin Church does, nor do they believe that those people who die in a state of sin are condemned to automatic damnation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336330,00.html

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Vatican Adds Seven New Deadly Sins Including Abortion, Contraception and Drug-Dealing
Monday, March 10, 2008

By Richard Owen

ROME —  Drug pushers, the obscenely rich, environmental polluters and “manipulative” genetic scientists beware — you may be in danger of losing your mortal soul unless you repent.

After 1,500 years the Vatican has brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalization. The list, published yesterday in L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, came as the Pope deplored the “decreasing sense of sin” in today’s “secularized world” and the falling numbers of Roman Catholics going to confession.

The Catholic Church divides sins into venial, or less serious, sins and mortal sins, which threaten the soul with eternal damnation unless absolved before death through confession and penitence.

It holds mortal sins to be “grave violations of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes,” including murder, contraception, abortion, perjury, adultery and lust.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that “immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into Hell.”

Although there is no definitive list of mortal sins, many believers accept the broad seven deadly sins or capital vices laid down in the 6th century by Pope Gregory the Great and popularized in the Middle Ages by Dante in "The Inferno": lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy and pride.

Christians are exhorted instead to adhere to the seven holy virtues: chastity, abstinence, temperance, diligence, patience, kindness and humility.

Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican body which oversees confessions and plenary indulgences, said after a week-long Lenten seminar for priests that surveys showed 60 percent of Catholics in Italy no longer went to confession.

He said that priests must take account of “new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalization.” Whereas sin in the past was thought of as being an individual matter, it now has “social resonance.”

“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor’s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos,” he said.

Bishop Girotti said that mortal sins also included taking or dealing in drugs, and social injustice which caused poverty or “the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few.”

He said that two mortal sins which continued to preoccupy the Vatican were abortion, which offended “the dignity and rights of women,” and pedophilia, which had even infected the clergy itself and so had exposed the “human and institutional fragility of the Church.”

The mass media had “blown up” the issue “to discredit the Church,” but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it, according to Girotti.

Addressing the Apostolic Penitentiary seminar, the Pope said there was “a certain disaffection” with confession among the faithful. Priests had to show “divine tenderness for penitent sinners” and admit their own failings.

“Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own ‘I’, and their hearts harden in sin. Those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from Him obtain grace and forgiveness.”

The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularized West were “making do without God.”

He said that hedonism and consumerism had even invaded “the bosom of the Church itself, deeply undermining the Christian faith from within, and undermining the lifestyle and daily behavior of believers.”

Eastern Catholics do not recognize the same distinction between mortal and venial sins as the Western or Latin Church does, nor do they believe that those people who die in a state of sin are condemned to automatic damnation.

Cool, almost like a D&D game! :P
I hate the State.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Monday, March 10, 2008

By Richard Owen

Two words: Politically Correct

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
They're probably just re-aligning their business with the changing market place

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Oh Brother ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Monday, March 10, 2008

By Richard Owen

Do they include themselves in that proclamation?

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
As a roman catholic sometimes I wish rome would let catholics continue the good work (yes, some of it is good work) and otherwise just shut the fuck up. Unfortunally the pope, intelligent as he is, seems to believe that people in this day and age still need to be patronized.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Isn't it wonderful how they just make things up as they go along?

And isn't it just a bit rich how an old white man in silk robes and jewel-encrusted garments living in a palace in Rome can lecture the rest of us on the evils of hoarding wealth?

And the only reason he can get away with it is because he gets himself described as a person of faith, and our society is programmed to fall over backwards for anyone who calls themselves a person of faith, and not examine their claims too closely.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Cool, almost like a D&D game! :P

Read any R. A. Salvatore books?  Drizzt, Artemis, Jarlaxle?

Montague

• Getbig V
I’m not an atheist (I am still religious), but I stopped going to church because I grew tired of “men” passing down ridiculous “laws” that I’m supposed to follow because those “men” are somehow closer to God and God’s law than me. They’re nothing more than SELF-APPOINTED AUTHORITIES for f*ck’s sake!

Don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent?
I eat red meat 365 days a year.
WTF should Friday be any different?

Fast one hour before mass?
Why?
Is that God’s law, or just another vehicle for those c-suckers to exercise their CONTROL over the “sheeple?”

I know many genuinely good elderly folks who can barely walk on their own and fear that if they don’t attend Church every Sunday they’ll burn in Hell.
This is the kind of $hit the “council” THRIVES ON!
They want that fear.
Fear keep them in control - it also keeps the collection baskets full!

Seems to me that if the Diocese wants me to follow their petty and ludicrous rules, then they should first improve on some rules that they themselves should follow – like rules regarding alter boys and cover-ups.

I pray to God every night, and I don’t need some pedo in a silk robe and funny hat who says he’s better than me to do it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I’m not an atheist (I am still religious), but I stopped going to church because I grew tired of “men” passing down ridiculous “laws” that I’m supposed to follow because those “men” are somehow closer to God and God’s law than me. They’re nothing more than SELF-APPOINTED AUTHORITIES for f*ck’s sake!

Don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent?
I eat red meat 365 days a year.
WTF should Friday be any different?

Fast one hour before mass?
Why?
Is that God’s law, or just another vehicle for those c-suckers to exercise their CONTROL over the “sheeple?”

I know many genuinely good elderly folks who can barely walk on their own and fear that if they don’t attend Church every Sunday they’ll burn in Hell.
This is the kind of $hit the “council” THRIVES ON!
They want that fear.
Fear keep them in control - it also keeps the collection baskets full!

Seems to me that if the Diocese wants me to follow their petty and ludicrous rules, then they should first improve on some rules that they themselves should follow – like rules regarding alter boys and cover-ups.

I pray to God every night, and I don’t need some pedo in a silk robe and funny hat who says he’s better than me to do it.

Good, Montague!

Colossians 2:16
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

Romans 14:6
"He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God."

1 Corinthians 10:25
"Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience"

Montague

• Getbig V
Ahh...
An educated man.
If you fancy biblical literature, here's something that may be of some interest to you:

I’ve begun researching the Gospel of Thomas.
Ever heard of it?
If not, don’t feel bad; many folks haven’t.

This Gospel – discovered in Nag Hammadi, Egypt in 1945 – was written in Coptic and is supposed to be the words of the living Jesus.
One of its main premises is that, “…the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.”

It suggests that we do not need brick and mortar buildings with self-appointed priests/politicians leading us in our praise, love, and respect of God.
Understandably, no major Christian group accepts this gospel as canonical or authoritative, and I believe the Catholic church denies not only its legitimacy, but also its existence.

I’ve located some resources, but haven’t yet had a chance to delve in due to time constraints.
It is interesting stuff, though.

Around 1999, they filmed a movie called Stigmata, which mentions the Gospel, although creative license was used quite liberally throughout the story and when presenting the “facts” surrounding the document.
This movie was the first place I'd heard of the Thomas Gospel.

Montague

• Getbig V
For anyone wishing to elevate their thinking a bit, here’s one resource to whet your appetite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Thomas