Author Topic: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill  (Read 9934 times)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
Can you tell me your records of three?

You mean the three PL lifts?  I am only benching this year...planning on doing all three (equipped!) next year.

Right now, my raw 1RM bench press is probably 185, maybe 190...and I am benching 235 in a shirt right now, with much room left for improvement.

Bottom line is that a shirted bencher is still going to have an impressive raw bench.  It's not like someone benches 225 raw and puts a shirt on to get 600.   ::)

:)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
You mean the three PL lifts?  I am only benching this year...planning on doing all three (equipped!) next year.

Right now, my raw 1RM bench press is probably 185, maybe 190...and I am benching 235 in a shirt right now, with much room left for improvement.

Bottom line is that a shirted bencher is still going to have an impressive raw bench.  It's not like someone benches 225 raw and puts a shirt on to get 600.   ::)

Haha! I like you but its not your three sizes of course!! ;D

Well Benching about twice of your weight is good even you use shirt. Its all depend on the tecnic you use. Do you use lat muscle power when you push it up?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
Haha! I like you but its not your three sizes of course!! ;D

Well Benching about twice of your weight is good even you use shirt. Its all depend on the tecnic you use. Do you use lat muscle power when you push it up?

Benching twice bodyweight is really really good for a female...that's my goal for next year. 

Yes, you use the lats quite a bit, and a lot of leg drive.   8)

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »

Thats not a bad lift for a lady of your size raw, 190 is impressive considering most of the guys on this board would struggle with 225.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »

Benching twice bodyweight is really really good for a female...that's my goal for next year. 

Yes, you use the lats quite a bit, and a lot of leg drive.   8)
Seem like you have very good coach there right? Its really required when it comes to do good powerlifting bench.
When you enter some competition,post here.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 10:27:47 AM »
Seem like you have very good coach their right? Its really required when it comes to do good powerlifting bench.
When you enter some competition,post here.

Yes, I have a great coach, and a good spotter too (two different people).   8)

I have a thread going on the PL board with video clips, etc. 
I am benching again in a competition this Sunday.    :)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 10:33:19 AM »

Yes, I have a great coach, and a good spotter too (two different people).   8)

I have a thread going on the PL board with video clips, etc. 
I am benching again in a competition this Sunday.    :)

Wow! Post HP here. I want to check your lifting form.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
Wow! Post HP here. I want to check your lifting form.

From the last meet in Feb...if anything, I hope this illustrates how difficult it actually is to use a bench shirt. 
It took me five months of hard training to get this lift.  It's not just a matter of throwing a shirt on and magically adding 50-100 pounds to your bench press.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

From the last meet in Feb...if anything, I hope this illustrates how difficult it actually is to use a bench shirt. 
It took me five months of hard training to get this lift.  It's not just a matter of throwing a shirt on and magically adding 50-100 pounds to your bench press.

Wooowwwww!!!!!! GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!! Super great job!!!!
Good form!
I hope that you win in the up comin compition.
 Dont forget to post the result. ;)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »

May I suggest these?

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
May I suggest these?

Thats the next big thing in powerlifging don't you know.  These retards are gonna start putting springs under their elbows as they lower the weight down.   Don't worry though, you still gotta be a badass to move major weight, even with springs ::)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »
Thats the next big thing in powerlifging don't you know.  These retards are gonna start putting springs under their elbows as they lower the weight down.   Don't worry though, you still gotta be a badass to move major weight, even with springs ::)

Yes, now you're getting it...thanks!  ;)

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »

Yes, now you're getting it...thanks!  ;)

Yep I hear in the olympics this summer they are allowing the swimmers to wear shoes with propellers on them.  Don't worry though, they are all still really fast swimmers!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »
terrible form, your back is arched like half of a mcdonalds sign...
L

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

I know I've been harsh to you on here, so I really don't want to single you out here...but...this vid illustrates exactly how much assistance you're getting from that shirt. You can barely descend the weight with any semblance of control, but the weight magically explodes off your chest, LOL.

Again, not to pick on you. I kinda wish you had posted a vid of someone else so I don't seem like such a hater towards you.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
THANK YOU.  There is no fucking point to the shirts other than to artificially help you lift more weight.  SHIRTS BLOW ASS

I've argued this point a few times in the past and what it always comes down to is that regardless of the artificial weight lifted it is more entertaining for the pl crowds to see a man bench 900lbs than it is 600lbs....the shirt is of no consequence to fans or competitors....all that matters is the huge weight lifted.   

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
I know I've been harsh to you on here, so I really don't want to single you out here...but...this vid illustrates exactly how much assistance you're getting from that shirt. You can barely descend the weight with any semblance of control, but the weight magically explodes off your chest, LOL.

Again, not to pick on you. I kinda wish you had posted a vid of someone else so I don't seem like such a hater towards you.

It's OK, you're not hating on me...you're just demonstrating how little you actually know about bench pressing.  :)

austrian_power

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
i have no problem with double layers and strong material

but i have a big problem with the judging during the last 3-5 years

you can also squat CORRECTLY AND DEEP with a canvas suit and power briefs, only a question of tightness and adjustment

also the bench forms are sucking more and more. raising butts, no pause, shitty lock-outs - these are the things which are bad for the sport!

sorry guys, especially in the states it is horrible! but it's getting worse in europe too...

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
i have no problem with double layers and strong material

but i have a big problem with the judging during the last 3-5 years

you can also squat CORRECTLY AND DEEP with a canvas suit and power briefs, only a question of tightness and adjustment

also the bench forms are sucking more and more. raising butts, no pause, shitty lock-outs - these are the things which are bad for the sport!

sorry guys, especially in the states it is horrible! but it's getting worse in europe too...
you say the video of the blonde haired guy posted above ...
L

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
I've argued this point a few times in the past and what it always comes down to is that regardless of the artificial weight lifted it is more entertaining for the pl crowds to see a man bench 900lbs than it is 600lbs....the shirt is of no consequence to fans or competitors....all that matters is the huge weight lifted.   

Point well made, but where do you draw the line.  I'm sure the fans would love to see someone get a 2000 pound bench, but at what point do we say that they cannot have anymore assistance.   GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
The purpose of the shirt is simply to be able to lift more weight.  The excuse that it is to protect from injuries is just a canned respose that most "not all" powerlifters give when question about the shirts.  If anything injures have increased from the shirts due to people trying much more weight that theyre body can handle.  I have seen many times where a lifter in a shirt gets "out of the grove" and the bar goes flying towards their head.  If a shirt blows out, its very ugly.  If anyone can show me satistics that shows a decline in injuries since shirts got very popular, I'd love to take a look at it.

I have only seen a handful of powerlifters be honest and say the only purpose for the shirt is so they can lift more weight which I can respect I mean, they're often very strong guys but no matter how strong you are the shirt is BS IMO.  Just don't fall for the canned "it's to protect my shoulders line."  Sure you going to injure yourself if you try raw a weight that your body cannot come close to handling.

Why do you think powerlifters with shirts do a TON of board presses?  The purpose of that is to strengthen the lockout part of the lift.  Why do they focus on that so much?  Well its because the shirt does most of the work through the bottom part of the lift and the assistance fades as it gets closer and closer to lockout.

Real life senario.  I was at a powerlifting meet.  Competetor has on a Titan Fury Bench press shirt which feels like a shirt made out of seat belt material.  After powdering him up and taking 3 guys to get the thing on him, he walks up like a undead zombie arms extended to try to live 550lbs.  He brings the bar down, but CAN'T get it to touch his chest "about 3-4 inches away" easily does the lift but it doesn't count because he didn't touch his chest.  He then UP'S the weight to 600lbs and again, next lift he can't touch his chest.  Then the weight for his final attempt gets raised to 620 and yet again, he's about an inch away this time.  He bombed out because his shirt was so tight that he couldn't make over 600lbs touch his chest.  Even the referee "an old school lifter was shaking his head." 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
Geeze,another "shirts suck" threads.You know EVERY SINGLE fucking sport has done the same thing that powerlifting has.Christ,basketball now rewards guys three points for a shot that used to be worth two.Pete Maravich would have averaged 70 points a game if the three point shot was in back then.Shirts get more poundages,just like juiced baseballs and shorter mounds allow more home runs.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
Geeze,another "shirts suck" threads.You know EVERY SINGLE fucking sport has done the same thing that powerlifting has.Christ,basketball now rewards guys three points for a shot that used to be worth two.Pete Maravich would have averaged 70 points a game if the three point shot was in back then.Shirts get more poundages,just like juiced baseballs and shorter mounds allow more home runs.

Great comparison ::)

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »

ALL SHIRT!! you trained 5 months to learn how to put on that ridiculous shirt....LAME!

lifting "EQUIPMENT" is just fucking gay....PERIOD!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »

Big hole in logic. The problem is that the unshirted BP record has barely changed in 10-20 years, while the shirted one has skyrocketed up and past 1,000 and will only continue as more and more technology is used. See that logic?