Author Topic: American Media (Flex Magazine) in huge debt  (Read 3631 times)

Insider X

• Getbig II
American Media (Flex Magazine) in huge debt
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Shawn Ray breaks the bad news on American Media through an email.

March 12, 2008 -- IT'S a race against the clock for American Media, publisher of the Star, the National Enquirer, Shape and Men's Fitness, following a downgrade by Moody's yesterday on the publisher's approximate $1.08 billion in debt.   The downgrade was prompted by "heightened concern that American Media's liquidity profile and weak free cash flow prospects will likely be insufficient to repay the company's maturing debt in 2009," according to Moody's   Although over $400 million of the debt isn't due until early next year, a lot is riding on the current fiscal quarter, because the mountain of debt has now moved to "current" debt.    If the company has not figured out a way to solve its looming debt load then it could be forced into a default. The ideal way out, would be if American Media CEO David Pecker and Ron Burkle, the billionaire supermarket magnate behind Source Interlink Companies, finally figure out a way to complete the long-discussed merger of the two concerns.  On that front, the banks are demanding that the two sides come up with more cash to complete a deal, because banks are skittish about lending to such a debt-heavy concern.  A combined company would carry debt of over $2 billion.

While Pecker and Burkle are still said to be talking and to be interested in getting a deal done, not all of the financial partners are convinced of its merits.  The two sides still need to find a way to come up with about $200 million more in cash, according to one source.  But what if the merger doesn't happen?  "They'll have to cut a deal with their banks and senior lenders before they file their next 10K," said the source.   The 10K contains the annual financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31 - just over two weeks away.   The report won't have to be filed until late June - but it is drawing near.   If there is no agreement in place, the independent auditors would have to insert a note warning of pending doom.   As one bondholder noted, "It becomes a kind of a domino effect."   Bondholders ultimately could roll over and issue the company more junk bonds, postponing the due date.   But to do that, American Media will have to offer another one-time "sweetener," usually a seven-figure fee to the bondholders.   If American Media gets new junk bonds, they could carry even higher interest rates than the 10.25 percent due on the current notes.   

Moody's new rating for the company has sunk to Caa2 from Caa1. To make matters worse, Moody's placed all American Media ratings under review for further downgrades.   But one analyst said despite the down grade, bondholders aren't in a panic.   "Operationally, they are doing better lately," said one bondholder. "We'll see what happens."   Said another source with knowledge of the situation, "They are going to be making news in the next three months, one way or another."   An analyst said, American Media "can play chicken with bondholders to get them to ex tend."   In that scenario, the alternative is to issue new bonds due in 2011 or a "messy bankrupt company with bonds much lower."   Said the analyst, "Bondholders probably blink and take the rollover bond."

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: American Media (Flex Magazine) in huge debt
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »

nananaaaana nananaaaaana heeeoooooho nananaaana ;D ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »

???

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

March 12, 2008 -- IT'S a race against the clock for American Media, publisher of the Star, the National Enquirer, Shape and Men's Fitness, following a downgrade by Moody's yesterday on the publisher's approximate $1.08 billion in debt.   The downgrade was prompted by "heightened concern that American Media's liquidity profile and weak free cash flow prospects will likely be insufficient to repay the company's maturing debt in 2009," according to Moody's   Although over $400 million of the debt isn't due until early next year, a lot is riding on the current fiscal quarter, because the mountain of debt has now moved to "current" debt.    If the company has not figured out a way to solve its looming debt load then it could be forced into a default. The ideal way out, would be if American Media CEO David Pecker and Ron Burkle, the billionaire supermarket magnate behind Source Interlink Companies, finally figure out a way to complete the long-discussed merger of the two concerns.  On that front, the banks are demanding that the two sides come up with more cash to complete a deal, because banks are skittish about lending to such a debt-heavy concern.  A combined company would carry debt of over $2 billion.

While Pecker and Burkle are still said to be talking and to be interested in getting a deal done, not all of the financial partners are convinced of its merits.  The two sides still need to find a way to come up with about $200 million more in cash, according to one source.  But what if the merger doesn't happen?  "They'll have to cut a deal with their banks and senior lenders before they file their next 10K," said the source.   The 10K contains the annual financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31 - just over two weeks away.   The report won't have to be filed until late June - but it is drawing near.   If there is no agreement in place, the independent auditors would have to insert a note warning of pending doom.   As one bondholder noted, "It becomes a kind of a domino effect."   Bondholders ultimately could roll over and issue the company more junk bonds, postponing the due date.   But to do that, American Media will have to offer another one-time "sweetener," usually a seven-figure fee to the bondholders.   If American Media gets new junk bonds, they could carry even higher interest rates than the 10.25 percent due on the current notes.   

Moody's new rating for the company has sunk to Caa2 from Caa1. To make matters worse, Moody's placed all American Media ratings under review for further downgrades.   But one analyst said despite the down grade, bondholders aren't in a panic.   "Operationally, they are doing better lately," said one bondholder. "We'll see what happens."   Said another source with knowledge of the situation, "They are going to be making news in the next three months, one way or another."   An analyst said, American Media "can play chicken with bondholders to get them to ex tend."   In that scenario, the alternative is to issue new bonds due in 2011 or a "messy bankrupt company with bonds much lower."   Said the analyst, "Bondholders probably blink and take the rollover bond."

THEY BETTER START MAKING A MAGAZINE PEOPLE WANT TO BUY.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:14:30 PM »
when flex stopped posting a lot of girls in skimpy outfits and steroid reviews I stopped buying.  They recently have added them back in but I don't care.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »
Nothing in that passage states that FLEX magazine is in trouble, or that American Media's woes are a DIRECT result of FLEX's lack of sales. From what I remember, the last time this was brought up, it was the other magazines' slumping sales that were/are causing the problems, along with other business issues.

Since I first registered on GetBig nearly 5 years ago, certain folks have been proclaiming doom and gloom for FLEX (most of them were MD fans).

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »
Flex rocks.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
Nothing in that passage states that FLEX magazine is in trouble, or that American Media's woes are a DIRECT result of FLEX's lack of sales.

Since I first registered on GetBig nearly 5 years ago, certain folks have been proclaiming doom and gloom for FLEX (most of them were MD fans).

ARE YOU A STOCK HOLDER?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »

ARE YOU A STOCK HOLDER?

No, and you don't need to be one to see that FLEX magazine isn't even mentioned.

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »

March 12, 2008 -- IT'S a race against the clock for American Media, publisher of the Star, the National Enquirer, Shape and Men's Fitness, following a downgrade by Moody's yesterday on the publisher's approximate $1.08 billion in debt.   The downgrade was prompted by "heightened concern that American Media's liquidity profile and weak free cash flow prospects will likely be insufficient to repay the company's maturing debt in 2009," according to Moody's   Although over $400 million of the debt isn't due until early next year, a lot is riding on the current fiscal quarter, because the mountain of debt has now moved to "current" debt.    If the company has not figured out a way to solve its looming debt load then it could be forced into a default. The ideal way out, would be if American Media CEO David Pecker and Ron Burkle, the billionaire supermarket magnate behind Source Interlink Companies, finally figure out a way to complete the long-discussed merger of the two concerns.  On that front, the banks are demanding that the two sides come up with more cash to complete a deal, because banks are skittish about lending to such a debt-heavy concern.  A combined company would carry debt of over $2 billion.

While Pecker and Burkle are still said to be talking and to be interested in getting a deal done, not all of the financial partners are convinced of its merits.  The two sides still need to find a way to come up with about $200 million more in cash, according to one source.  But what if the merger doesn't happen?  "They'll have to cut a deal with their banks and senior lenders before they file their next 10K," said the source.   The 10K contains the annual financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31 - just over two weeks away.   The report won't have to be filed until late June - but it is drawing near.   If there is no agreement in place, the independent auditors would have to insert a note warning of pending doom.   As one bondholder noted, "It becomes a kind of a domino effect."   Bondholders ultimately could roll over and issue the company more junk bonds, postponing the due date.   But to do that, American Media will have to offer another one-time "sweetener," usually a seven-figure fee to the bondholders.   If American Media gets new junk bonds, they could carry even higher interest rates than the 10.25 percent due on the current notes.  

Moody's new rating for the company has sunk to Caa2 from Caa1. To make matters worse, Moody's placed all American Media ratings under review for further downgrades.   But one analyst said despite the down grade, bondholders aren't in a panic.   "Operationally, they are doing better lately," said one bondholder. "We'll see what happens."   Said another source with knowledge of the situation, "They are going to be making news in the next three months, one way or another."   An analyst said, American Media "can play chicken with bondholders to get them to ex tend."   In that scenario, the alternative is to issue new bonds due in 2011 or a "messy bankrupt company with bonds much lower."   Said the analyst, "Bondholders probably blink and take the rollover bond."

Lol , isnt this post exactly the type of things Blechman wanted Special Ed to say , and then ED said `FERK NO BIOTCHES!`

Guess Md is going ahead wif the tactics nontheless

MD will never be class , its very sad

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
Nothing in that passage states that FLEX magazine is in trouble, or that American Media's woes are a DIRECT result of FLEX's lack of sales. From what I remember, the last time this was brought up, it was the other magazines' slumping sales that were/are causing the problems, along with other business issues.

I registered an account slightly after you did:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=1835

Which is odd seeing how my user number is lower than yours.

Since I first registered on getbig nearly five years ago, certain folks proclaim evolution to be "goo to you by way of the zoo" and say that people still "aren't buying it" even though the consensus in the scientific community is virtually unanimous.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

Since I first registered on getbig nearly five years ago, certain folks proclaim evolution to be "goo to you by way of the zoo" and say that people still "aren't buying it" even though the consensus in the scientific community is virtually unanimous.

Are you on crack or something? This is, what, the NTH TIME you've brought up evolution on thread that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT TOPIC.

Get a clue!!!!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
Are you on crack or something? This is, what, the NTH TIME you've brought up evolution on thread that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT TOPIC.

Get a clue!!!!

I do have a clue - my clue is that you were raised in a religious household and purposely reject the overwhelming scientific evidence proving evolution because you don't want it to interfere with your invisible friend in the sky ideology.

You are one of the rare people who is actually otherwise intelligent yet still religious.  You have a high IQ and no excuse.  :)
Bodybuilding Pro.com

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
I do have a clue - my clue is that you were raised in a religious household and purposely reject the overwhelming scientific evidence proving evolution because you don't want it to interfere with your invisible friend in the sky ideology.

You are one of the rare people who is actually otherwise intelligent yet still religious.  You have a high IQ and no excuse.  :)

A high IQ does not require me to reject my religious beliefs. BTW, another bright guy, responsible for making milk safe to drink and curing chickens of deadly disease also rejected the "overwhelming scientific evidence proving evolution". When you start tossing your dairy products and chicken breasts, because of that, let me know.

What does any of this have to do with America Media or FLEX magazine?

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 03:15:29 PM »

:-\

Matt I'm sure you are aware of the many financial rewards available to those who can prove evolution. Perhaps you should take one of these foundations up in their offer......

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
No, and you don't need to be one to see that FLEX magazine isn't even mentioned.

Does not matter-if they go BK, which they will (who the fuck pays 350 MILLION!! for M&F, Fles and "Shape"??) all of the magazines will be impacted adversely.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
If AMI is willing to sell them off piecemeal, MD will buy Flex. If they get a cash infusion, they'll buy out MD.  I've already started Sucking up to both of them!

FlexSucks.com
MDSucks.com
BigNationRadio.com

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
Does not matter-if they go BK, which they will (who the fuck pays 350 MILLION!! for M&F, Fles and "Shape"??) all of the magazines will be impacted adversely.

Indeed. But, my point was that American Media's woes are not indicative of FLEX magazine's success. And, it certainly has nothing to do with FLEX losing ground to MD, which usually gets brought up by the MD folks.

It was my impression that American Media bought FLEX, M&F, and Shape to help boost the profits.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »
Shape does very well, I think around 1.2M circulation, but is a bit light on ads.
Flex does closer to 50,000 circulation but ad volume is good.

They need to put Gunter and Jay on the cover of the Enquirer and Star Magazine to really sell copies!
BigNationRadio.com

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »
all leading up to the economic collapse of 2012 or earlier
A

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
Time for Joe Weider to come out of retirement and buy back his magazine empire at a bargain price. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »
Shape does very well, I think around 1.2M circulation, but is a bit light on ads.
Flex does closer to 50,000 circulation but ad volume is good.

good? it like 2/3ers ads....
A

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »

You are one of the rare people who is actually otherwise intelligent yet still religious.  You have a high IQ and no excuse:)

God damn, Matt!

Great stuff!
HAHA, RON.....

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
paper mags are useless, soon anyone with have a handled phone/internet browser/gps/mp3/vid player in the pocket with an internet conexion...paper is a thing of the past.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
paper mags are useless, soon anyone with have a handled phone/internet browser/gps/mp3/vid player in the pocket with an internet conexion...paper is a thing of the past.

I disagree... have you tried reading online versionf os magazines?  It's kinda a pain in the ass.  Sometimes you just wanna stretch out and read without sitting at a computer.  And there's always the need to read in the bathroom... can never replace mags for that.