Author Topic: McCain in Dead Heat with Obama, Hillary  (Read 3621 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain in Dead Heat with Obama, Hillary
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:10:16 AM »
McCain in Dead Heat with Obama, Hillary

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:00 PM

The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC Poll released Wednesday night shows John McCain is now statistically tied with Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Here's the poll summary:

McCain 44%
Obama 47%

McCain 45%
Clinton 47%

In the Democratic race:

Clinton 47%
Obama 43%

The survey, conducted March 7- 10, had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/McCain_tied_democrats/2008/03/12/79995.html?promo_code=2A89-1

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: McCain in Dead Heat with Obama, Hillary
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:30:29 AM »
ah, didn't Murdock take over the Wall Street Journal?  I wouldn't put much faith in this.  They're desperate to get Hillary and they know the main thing a lot of dems are jumping on with Obama is that he has consistently for months showed a better chance of beating McCain.  Now magically that differential of hate for Hillary went poof, gone?  LOL, ok...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »

Once the Dems have their nominee, McCain will become the White male candidate. 

Yes, he benefits from the Dems beating up on one another, but he primarily benefits from being White and male.  The other stuff (platform, experience, attitude, etc.) doesn't really matter. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »
I'm a white male who has always voted republican.

I'm open to voting outside my party for the first time.  because the repub candidate tells me there's nothing wrong with the economy, no recession coming, and that the bush economic plan is working great.

Those words are either delusional, or lies.  And I dont want to vote for a liar, or a deluded person.

Hilary might be a snake, obama might be inexperienced, but they both admit there is a problem with the economic policy in place.  Mccain tells me everything is super duper.

Oil is $110 a barrel today.  It was $26 in 2001.
Dollar at alltime lows against Euro, giant new low against yen, and it's getting worse.

Mccain wont admit this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »
ah, didn't Murdock take over the Wall Street Journal?  I wouldn't put much faith in this.  They're desperate to get Hillary and they know the main thing a lot of dems are jumping on with Obama is that he has consistently for months showed a better chance of beating McCain.  Now magically that differential of hate for Hillary went poof, gone?  LOL, ok...

Does Murdock control Rasmussen, Gallup, and Newsweek?  They're all showing the same thing.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
Zogby Poll: McCain Bests Both Obama, Clinton

Saturday, March 15, 2008 5:06 PM

UTICA, New York – Riding high after locking up his party’s presidential nomination, Republican John McCain of Arizona has moved ahead of both of his potential Democratic Party rivals in a national general election test, the latest Zogby telephone survey shows.

Perhaps profiting from the continuing political battle across the aisle, McCain would defeat Hillary Clinton of New York by six points and Barack Obama of Illinois by 5 points, the survey shows. Clinton and Obama are locked in a tight battle to win the Democratic Party nomination, a fight that has grown nasty at times recently and threatens to continue on all summer long until the party’s national convention in Denver this August.

The telephone survey of 1,001 likely voters nationwide was conducted by live operators calling from Zogby’s call center in Upstate New York on March 13-14, 2008. It carries a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percentage points.

Prospective General Election Match-up

3-13/14

McCain

45%

Clinton

39%

Nader

6%

Not sure/Someone else

11%

The introduction of long-time activist Ralph Nader into the mix is having an effect on the race, as he wins enough support to make a difference, the poll shows. Nader entered the race recently, charging that there is little difference between the Republican and Democratic parties and their presidential candidates. Using the same argument eight years ago, his presence on the ballot in Florida may well have tipped the presidential election away from Democrat Al Gore and in favor of George W. Bush. His run four years ago yielded less dramatic results, but the political atmosphere has changed since 2004, and may be more favorable for him again, the Zogby survey shows.

In the McCain-Clinton-Nader match-up, McCain leads mainly because of a significant advantage among independents. Among those voters, he wins support from 45%, compared to 28% for Clinton and 15% for Nader. McCain wins 79% support from Republicans, while Clinton wins 75% support from Democrats.

Clinton leads only among those voters under age 30, while McCain leads among all voters over age 30. Nader also does well among the young, winning 12% support among those under age 30. Among men, McCain leads 51% to 33% for Clinton. Among women, Clinton leads, 45% to 40% for McCain. Nader wins 8% among men and 3% among women.

Nader also does particularly well as a third-party candidate among progressives, winning 15% support from the group that would very likely otherwise go to Clinton were he not in the race. At the other end of the ideological scale, he wins 12% among libertarians. He also wins 6% support among both conservatives and liberals.

Prospective General Election Match-up

3-13/14

McCain

44%

Obama

39%

Nader

5%

Not sure/Someone else

11%

In the McCain-Obama-Nader match-up, the independent candidate is having the same effect. Nader wins 15% support among political independents nationwide.

Ideologically, Nader wins 18% support among progressives, and 12% among libertarians. He does less well among mainline conservatives and liberals compared to the match-up including Clinton.

An interesting factor in this race: the inroads McCain has made into Obama’s base and vice versa. McCain wins 19% support from Democrats, while Obama captures just 67% of voters in his own party. Obama wins 15% support among Republicans, compared to 73% for McCain.

As is the case in the McCain-Clinton-Nader contest, Obama wins among voters under age 30, while McCain leads among all voters age 30 and older. Nader wins 15% support among those under age 30, but has little support among older voters.

Among men, McCain leads Obama 48% to 34%, while Obama holds a slim 43% to 41% edge over McCain among women. Nader wins 6% among men and 4% among women.

Pollster John Zogby: “Nader’s presence in the race can potentially turn a lulu of a race into an absolute tizzy. The messages to Democrats are clear – number one, Nader may win enough support to get into the general election debates. Number two, what could be at risk is support among several key constituencies that the Democratic Party candidate will need to win in November, notably younger voters, independents, and progressives.”

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/McCain_over_Obama_Clinton/2008/03/15/80707.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Does anyone remember those polls from last year where Guiliani was PRESUMPTIVE front runner and McCain's staff was bailing out?

IMO - these polls don't mean shit

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
Does anyone remember those polls from last year where Guiliani was PRESUMPTIVE front runner and McCain's staff was bailing out?

IMO - these polls don't mean shit

remember when Zogby said 67% of Americans want a new 911 investigation?

BB called polls nonsense then.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »

Obama's lost a lot of his momentum, and the McCain campaign loves seeing all the infighting on the Dem side. 

Even without Nader in the race, McCain looks like a near lock to win in November. 

More on this from me later, but although the GOP may not realize or admit it, having the rebellious McCain as their guy *really* helps them in the general election, because moderate liberals would be far more inclined to support him than Romney or Huckabee or any other so-called 'conversative' wannabe.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 07:27:20 AM »
Obama's lost a lot of his momentum, and the McCain campaign loves seeing all the infighting on the Dem side. 

Even without Nader in the race, McCain looks like a near lock to win in November. 

More on this from me later, but although the GOP may not realize or admit it, having the rebellious McCain as their guy *really* helps them in the general election, because moderate liberals would be far more inclined to support him than Romney or Huckabee or any other so-called 'conversative' wannabe.

it certainly isn't helping that Obama and Clinton and fighting each other.

I assume at some point there are still going to be a debate or two between the Dem and Republican candidates and that's where McCain is going to look bad - especially if he's facing Obama.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
remember that the general election is still 8 months away.  that's quite a long time for things to 'reset', as they always do.  I was reading about the 1992 election... at one point, perot had a 10 or 15 point lead over Bush1 and Clinton was way behind... then the war ended (gulf war 1) and the dems grabbed the nomination easily.  When people aren't scared, but they are broek, they vote dem.  All the infighting will be a distant memory by then.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 07:43:13 AM »
remember that the general election is still 8 months away.  that's quite a long time for things to 'reset', as they always do.  I was reading about the 1992 election... at one point, perot had a 10 or 15 point lead over Bush1 and Clinton was way behind... then the war ended (gulf war 1) and the dems grabbed the nomination easily.  When people aren't scared, but they are broek, they vote dem.  All the infighting will be a distant memory by then.

also a good point.  Polls this far out just seem pointless (other than maybe to try to form public opinion).   To me it seems like trying to predict the weather 8 months from now.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »
This fighting could continue until the Dem convention. All the while Mccain goes around the world..solidifies his postions and his money. Not to mention what kind of issues the infighting generates
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »
This fighting could continue until the Dem convention. All the while Mccain goes around the world..solidifies his postions and his money. Not to mention what kind of issues the infighting generates

repubs could be running George Washington... but if he's parroting the Bush economic plan while the dollar freefalls, he ain't getting elected.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

True. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »

x2

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »
240, I think your extrapolating McCain's platforms.
I have never heard him say there are no economic problems, in fact, I have heard the contrary.  He is just not a supporter of adjusting tax %ages to fix our economic and social issues.  That doesn't mean he wouldn't act on these issues, just that adjusting taxation is not the best way to attack.  I hope he would continue his fight against lobbyists and earmarks, many politicians say they will, but at least McCain has a good track record on that.  What worries me about him is continued military spending abroad!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
I'd love to hear him clarify his positions then.  We know he refused to criticize white house or bush's policy, or admit the economy was in any kind of trouble, during the debates.  Then we know he supported the bush tax cuts this year after rejecting them before.  Then he admits he doesn't know much about the economy.  Then he refuses to address the economy now as things worsen, his staff choosing a trip to Iraq to make that the issue, not the economy.

I don't like it when the country is facing financial crisis, and the man who wants to be president is pointint focus elsewhere, so he can avoid taking a position on the matter.  If he would say "let's keep things the same" and dollar crashes, then Mccain looks bad.  If he says we need change, as the dems say, and there is no change, he looks bad.

He's playing it safe by not commenting on the economy, but his standing comments say he supports bush tax plan and cuts and as you mentioned, war spending.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »

There's a house up the street that sold for $899,000 back in 2005.  It's now on the market for $599,000.  I'm considering putting in a lowball offer, but even at that price, it might very well be priced $100,000 or more over its actual value.   

It's safe to say that our economy is in shambles.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
Zogby: McCain Best for '3 A.M.' Crisis

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:45 AM

The recent Hillary Clinton campaign advertisement asking who Americans want answering the phone in the White House when a crisis erupts at 3 a.m. has sparked a national debate about which candidate would best handle such a phone call. But while the ad was designed to boost the Clinton candidacy, likely voters nationwide say they would feel more secure having Republican John McCain answering the call of a crisis, a new Zogby International telephone poll shows.

Given the choice between Clinton and McCain, 55% preferred McCain while 37% would want Clinton to answer the phone, while 9% said they were unsure.

If there is a crisis in the world and the telephone rings at 3 a.m. in the White House, who would you feel more secure answering that phone Hillary Clinton or John McCain?

Hillary Clinton

37%

John McCain

55%

Not sure

9%

Between McCain and Obama, 56% favored McCain while 35% preferred Obama, with 10% saying they couldnt make up their mind on the question.

The ad, which first ran in Texas in the days leading up to the March 4 primary election there, was designed to boost Clinton’s claim that she is more experienced than Obama, a familiar Clinton campaign theme this year. McCain is considered strong on national defense.

If there is a crisis in the world and the telephone rings at 3 a.m. in the White House, who would you feel more secure answering that phone John McCain or Barack Obama?

John McCain

56%

Barack Obama

35%

Not sure

10%

McCain, who calls himself a conservative, makes big inroads across ideological lines on the question, the survey shows, as 25% of the very liberal and 32% of mainline liberals prefer he answer the phone instead of Clinton, and 23% of the very liberal and 35% of mainline liberals prefer him over Obama. Just 15% of conservatives prefer Clinton take the call, and 16% of conservatives would rather have Obama taking a crisis phone call instead of McCain.

The telephone poll using live operators from Zogby’s call center in Upstate New York included 1,004 likely voters nationwide and was conducted March 13-14, 2008. It carries a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percentage points. Totals in charts may not add up to 100% due to rounding.

The survey shows that among all voters Democrats, Republicans, and independents there is a near-equal preference for Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama to answer a crisis phone call as President. When given the choice between them, 37% preferred Clinton, while 36% preferred Obama. Another 27% of all voters said they were unsure.

But among just Democrats, Clinton is preferred by 48%, compared to 38% of Democrats who said they would rather have Obama answer the phone. Among just Democrats, 14% said they were unsure.

If there is a crisis in the world and the telephone rings at 3 a.m. in the White House, who would you feel more secure answering that phone Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?

Hillary Clinton

37%

Barack Obama

36%

Not sure

27%

Among all voters regardless of partisan affiliation, in the race between Obama and Clinton, Obama is favored by a wide 49% to 32% margin among the very liberal, while mainline liberals favored Clinton by a 50% to 38% edge. Among moderates, Clintons edge is 44% to 34%, while conservatives preferred Obama, 39% to 36% for Clinton, with the rest of conservatives declining to make a choice.

And among all voters, women favored Clinton over Obama by a 42% to 34% margin, with 24% unsure. Men favored Obama, 38% to 32%, with 30% undecided.

http://newsmax.com/insidecover/McCain_best_in_crisis/2008/03/17/80911.html

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
I would also like to know more specifics in McCain's economic plans.  I was just pointing out that I don't remember him denying that we have a struggling economy.
I don't think taxing the shit out of the middle and upper class is the right course of action.  Decreasing government spending is the wisest choice IMO, thats why I voted for Ron Paul.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »
There's a house up the street that sold for $899,000 back in 2005.  It's now on the market for $599,000.  I'm considering putting in a lowball offer, but even at that price, it might very well be priced $100,000 or more over its actual value.   

It's safe to say that our economy is in shambles.  :)

are you somewhere in Alameda county?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
If bb is right. Then china will take over the US along with russia in no time.   We have no money for more wars, and no men to fight them......game over if mccain gets in.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
If bb is right. Then china will take over the US along with russia in no time.   We have no money for more wars, and no men to fight them......game over if mccain gets in.

No, game over if China decides to either call in their loans or to just do a hostile takeover.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
For that 3 AM crisis, I'd say the best option to take that call, given the 2009 options, would be:

1. Bill Clinton (when hilary hands him the phone)
2. Mccain
3. hilary
4. Obama