Author Topic: Dispute this logic on bodybuilding drug use in the pros  (Read 7827 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Dispute this logic on bodybuilding drug use in the pros
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
In the beginning there were no drugs. Then various promoters thought up impressive names for bodybuilding contests and eventually Mr Universe was created. Somehow this was eclipsed by Mr Olympia which was suppose to be a higher contest. Winners of these contests transcended ordinary mortals and became Mr Somebody or other.

When guys coveted these titles and exposure in magazines it wasn't long before rival organizations were competing for competitors. In America there was the AAU holding Mr America and a few other shows. The IFBB took decades before their shows were considered the best. In the meantime, NABBA continued to stage the Mr Universe contest in England. Up until the late 1960s that was still the top show. The Mr Olympia eventually became the top contest for bodybuilders. The WBBG staged contests but these never had the status of the top IFBB shows.

When Bob Hoffman died the AAU shows lost their main supporter and eventually the AAU divorced itself from running bodybuilding shows. Something similar happened in Europe when Oscar Heidenstam died because NABBA lost some of its status.

What cannot be denied is that there is an ongoing competition for the competitors. The IFBB is worried that if they do drug testing that all the best competitors will go elsewhere. That is the bottom line and explains why no testing is done at the professional level. Joe and Ben staked their success on how well they knew bodybuilders. So what we find is what we deserve. The competitors have to do whatever is necessary to win a show and one thing no one can afford is be banned from competing. The other bodybuilders will not support independence because everyone moves up a notch when guys like Lee Priest get banned.

Today we have a sad state of affairs that even a Terminator cannot solve. Muscleheads have to use plenty of drugs, according to the many experts out there, to compete as professionals. How this remains true in a society where those drugs are considered illegal is a mystery. How a politician can promote a contest without having a clean show is something of back-room decisions.

Good post  here Vince,about the evolution of top bodybuilding shows.
After the dust clears , I too just shrug myshoulders and figure,it as follows: If the top pros and national level bodybuilders embrace the health and legal risks of extreme dug use, who am I to care?
While I sincerely believe it would be much better for all bodybuilders to be free from extreme drug use, I also know it is the bodybuilders that make that decision . I was one that decided it was not worth it . OVERALL,the cost/bennift ratios didn't add up for me.
I love bodybuilding, it is my favorite sport. I have huge respect and admiration for all the hard work and strict dieting it takes to put a world class physique on the stage. As a fan, I also get a kick out seeing the "enhanced physique".
Obviously a top bodybuilder on the juice looks more impressive than a natural one.
As a fan I admit, that I do get a "better show" under the current policy.
As a man concerned with the overall welfare of the bodybuilders I admire, I hate the health and legal risks they have to endure.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!