Author Topic: Karl Rove on McCain team  (Read 757 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Karl Rove on McCain team
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
John McCain is getting much more than President Bush's endorsement and fundraising help for his campaign. He’s getting Bush's staff.

It’s no secret that Steve Schmidt, Bush’s attack dog in the 2004 election, and Mark McKinnon, the president’s media strategist, are performing similar functions for McCain now.

But other big-name Bushies are lining up to boost McCain, too.

Ken Mehlman, who ran Bush’s 2004 campaign, is now serving as an unpaid, outside adviser to the Arizona Republican. Karl Rove, the president’s top political hand since his Texas days, recently gave money to McCain and soon after had a private conversation with the senator. A top McCain adviser said both Mehlman and Rove are now informally advising the campaign. Rove refused to detail his conversation with McCain.

The list could grow longer. Dan Bartlett, formerly a top aide in the Bush White House, and Sara Taylor, the erstwhile Bush political adviser, said they are eager to provide any assistance and advice possible to McCain.

Rove explained that he and McCain “got to know each other during the 2004 campaign.” In a separate interview, Mehlman noted that “McCain was completely loyal to the president in 2004 and worked incredibly hard to help him get elected.” According to Taylor, “The Bush Republicans here in town are excited for John McCain.”

Despite the president’s low approval ratings, there are clear benefits to McCain for this cozy relationship with the Bush team. They are seasoned operatives with a track record of winning back-to-back national elections in tough political environments. But there are obvious drawbacks. First and foremost, any association with the Bush administration helps Democrats make their case that McCain represents a clear extension of an unpopular presidency.

“[McCain] has sided himself so closely to the administration, especially on Iraq, now having various Bush advisers — that doesn’t sit well with the public,” said Dowd, who has recently broken with the Bush inner circle. “The public wants the non-Bush candidate.”

Dowd also argued that he believes that the proximity of Bush’s advisers could lead McCain to a strategic mistake: refighting the 2004 campaign. “There is a real danger of that,” Dowd added. “And I think some of the things John McCain has done, and how he’s done it, has been a fight or a battle that’s gone. I don’t think this is going to be a terrorism election or a national security election.”

The McCain adviser said Dowd's concern is unwarranted, pointing to the campaign’s belief that the economy will play a far greater role in the 2008 race than it did in 2004.

The Coach

Re: Karl Rove on McCain team
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »
Having Karl Rove (the architect) on his side should damn near secure his presidency :D.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
It should be a felony to be as ugly as rove.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
Having Karl Rove (the architect) on his side should damn near secure his presidency :D.

rove could barely win re-election in 04.

In mid-war with a popular president, he needed to steal ohio to eek out the win.

joe, you're a religious man, so I encourage you to not comment.  Saying "repubs didn't steal ohio" would be a lie, and lies make Baby Jesus cry.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:54:56 AM »

8 more years of bush type economic policies will completely destroy this country.   

i'm simply amazed by the stupidity of the american public.  ???

Remember, though, half of us think we're 'rich'.  Unreal.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »

8 more years of bush type economic policies will completely destroy this country.   

i'm simply amazed by the stupidity of the american public.  ???

It's a shame some people aren't catching on.
S

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »
It's a shame some people aren't catching on.

They wont until a humvee drives up and down the street with a speaker screaming, "Im the decider"