Author Topic: Smith Machine Bench Press  (Read 4300 times)

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
Smith Machine Bench Press
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »
I'm currently trying to improve my 1 rep max flat bench press and started using a smith machine.  Is this a good method to increase your max bench press?
I

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: Smith Machine Bench Press
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
I'm currently trying to improve my 1 rep max flat bench press and started using a smith machine.  Is this a good method to increase your max bench press?

Thats like trying to piss up a rope.  Why dont you use a normal bench?

Jason

NATIVE ONE

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:20:32 AM »
Thats like trying to piss up a rope.
;D
Smith Machine=Worst invention ever!
Try some close grip and skull crushers. ;)
3 REPS....I'M DONE!

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 06:14:48 AM »
Never tried the rope thing.  You must have experience at that since you use it to squat.  The reason I use the smith machine is to control an increase in the weight.  The other reason is so I don't have to bother any of the "real big guys" for a spot. 
I

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:10:30 AM »
my advice..as a smith machine bench presser... get off it for a few reason..

one..your regular bench will suffer because you're not having to take all the weight yourself.

two..it doesn't allow your body to function in it's own range of motion. I'm not talking just pushing straight up and down. A typical bench press does not do that. It comes down and forward and sometimes up and back towards the head/shoulders.

three...it gives a false sense of strength. if you're pressing 405 on the smith you damn sure won't go right over to the flat and bench it.

four.. it puts undue stress on joints and your body in general because throughout the movement your body is forced to work within the bars path instead of it's own not allowing things to stay in line or giving you the best mechanical advantage.  When y our wrists, elbows, shoulders, etc. aren't properly in line things go bad fast.

and I could keep going... i have a 12 item list of things I wrote for an article that proves the smith machine is nothing but shit and that's what the cage is for and the pin settings to prevent yourself from getting hurt incase you don't make a lift. I was putting up 455 on the smith machine and had all kinds of joint problems but when I moved over to the flat, I was only able to put up 350 at first. When I moved over to the cage and set it up to myself did I start to see a good strength increase and but growth as well. If you want to develop a stronger bench press, the smith machine is not the answer. There's so many other things you can do to benefit your bench that imho the smith shouldn't ever be looked at for any reason. It's 9am. So if you want me to elaborate more on this I will but right now I'm going to get breakfast.  ;D

jason is right..you're shitting in your own flat hat when you use the smith to better your bench.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »
The smith machine is "good" if you have a shoulder injury and you find it painful to bench like a real man.
sept 10th APF

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »
Never tried the rope thing.  You must have experience at that since you use it to squat.  The reason I use the smith machine is to control an increase in the weight.  The other reason is so I don't have to bother any of the "real big guys" for a spot. 

Sorry, its obvious to me now you didn't pick up the sarcasm in my response, so I apologize for that.  Also, unless you are a tool or an asshole to guys, most, if not all of them will have no problem giving you a spot.  I know it has been that way EVERYWHERE Ive ever trained.

Jason

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice thewickedtruth, cage it is.  I want to increase my raw bench, currently at 310lbs.  I would like to reach 400lbs. by year end, god willing.  Never injured myself and don't have any shoulder problems.  I must be doing something right, or I'm just lucky.   

I don't find benching painful at all; but thanks for your shitty two cents nasht5.

Pegg, my bad.  I didn't recongnize your sarcasm.  I'm not a tool/asshole, just a prick.  Most of the members at my gym are your typical seasonal 20lb dumbell flat bench stability ball users.  So these people think a 310 lb. bench is amazing, even though it's average.  When I do ask someone for a spot they get that "deer in the headlights" look which gets old after a while.  Thanks for the advice. 
I

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
we're abunch of sarcastic assholes man...don't take much to heart here. The powerlifting forum has alot of jokesters HAHA no one is trying to start shit..just give as good as you get and you'll fit right in.

Cage is a smart choice PERIOD. The smith will hinder you more than it will ever help you.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
Thewickedtruth, I went back to the flat bench the other day and completed the following:
Bar X 15
225 X 5
250 X 3
275 X 2
300 X 1
310 X 1
I felt that a 320 X 1 was possible but thought I would try it next week.
Should I decrease the amount of warm up sets to save strength for my 1 rep max?
I

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:03:42 AM »
I wouldn't do smith flat presses - I've known two guys in my life who have tore their pecs doing it. If it's bench press strength you're after, then stick to the real deal.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:16 AM »
Thewickedtruth, I went back to the flat bench the other day and completed the following:
Bar X 15
225 X 5
250 X 3
275 X 2
300 X 1
310 X 1
I felt that a 320 X 1 was possible but thought I would try it next week.
Should I decrease the amount of warm up sets to save strength for my 1 rep max?

I think more of a warmup is needed.
sept 10th APF

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 06:39:43 AM »
nash is right...more warmup... I'd work with the bar for a few sets to begin with, skip the 250 set after 225 but get more reps with 225..then right into 275.  Go 300 then into 320 instead of 310 if you want to hit the 320.  Picking your jumps and attempt weights is just as important as  every other aspect of training in the bench.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
Well do then, more warmup.  I have never really known how to pick my jumps or attempt weights.  So should the 225 be more like 6 to 8 reps?  It's funny, after I did the 310 I felt I had it in me to get the 320 but didn't for fear of failure.  Say you fail a new attempt or personal best, how does the mental aspect of lifting affect you when you try it again later?
I

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »
Well do then, more warmup.  I have never really known how to pick my jumps or attempt weights.  So should the 225 be more like 6 to 8 reps?  It's funny, after I did the 310 I felt I had it in me to get the 320 but didn't for fear of failure.  Say you fail a new attempt or personal best, how does the mental aspect of lifting affect you when you try it again later?

mental is everything. If you're not nervous about the weight you're about to move you're not lifting heavy enough!  ;D  And that is what the cage is for..you'll never know what you can do..and know your true limits unless you test them. You'll bomb a few in time but you never know until you try. If you feel good enough for another one go for it...whereever your mind goes your body will surely follow.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

fucks me up big time, it's a big reason i think my deadlift stalled: i kept trying weights and failing, so it messed with me.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »
I'll never forget the feeling of accomplishment when I finally benched 225.  Thought I was a beast back then benching 2 45's on either side of the bar.  I'm sure you guys remember that.  That is what I want to accomplish each time I go in and lift a new personal best.  Thanks to everybody on here for this post.  I'll keep you updated each month on my benching progress.
I

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
I'll never forget the feeling of accomplishment when I finally benched 225.  Thought I was a beast back then benching 2 45's on either side of the bar.  I'm sure you guys remember that.  That is what I want to accomplish each time I go in and lift a new personal best.  Thanks to everybody on here for this post.  I'll keep you updated each month on my benching progress.

HAHA i remember those days man..i hit 185 my sophmore year and thought it was a swole hoss!

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
Thewickedtruth, I made the 320 bench press.  I warmed up with the bar, then 225 X 9, 275 X 2, and then 320 X 1.  I must have had tunnel vision because I totally forgot about making 300 and jumped straight to 320.  It was the hardest bench I've ever completed; but it felt awesome after I racked it.  I wasn't exactly 100% because of a damn cold which I've battled for almost two weeks.  Hopefully I can add 10lbs. a month and hit 400lbs. by year end.  Thanks again for your advice man, good shit.
I

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
Thewickedtruth, I made the 320 bench press.  I warmed up with the bar, then 225 X 9, 275 X 2, and then 320 X 1.  I must have had tunnel vision because I totally forgot about making 300 and jumped straight to 320.  It was the hardest bench I've ever completed; but it felt awesome after I racked it.  I wasn't exactly 100% because of a damn cold which I've battled for almost two weeks.  Hopefully I can add 10lbs. a month and hit 400lbs. by year end.  Thanks again for your advice man, good shit.

told you bro..gotta get in it ..get your head right..and make it happen. And look at that! Smoked 320! Sounds like you had about as much fun putting it up as I did 420...and it was a fight the whole way. WAY too many people give up halfway through a lift when it starts to get REALLY hard and never try to push through it. NICE PR buddy. Careful with LARGE jumps close to your max but you seemed to have handled it no problem..

if you start benching heavy like that alot.. get you a pair of APT convict pro's or other heavy duty wrist wraps form prowriststraps.com so give you some extra stability and support. When I wrap up on 365 or better it feels as easy as 315 did before to me. There comes a time when heavy is just heavy and you don't notice a difference. 320 is no slouch for sure! NICE LIFT! `

Bruffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
Thewickedtruth, I can't say thanks enough for the advice.  Prior to benching I usually warm up my shoulders and chest.  I read that stretching your lats (light seated rows) prior to bench press is suppose to be a benefit, is this old news?  Next time I'll complete the 300 in order to prevent any injuries and then go to 320 or higher.  I was actually thinking about buying some wrist wraps the other day and will definitely be looking into it.  You're right a lot of people give up halfway through a lift when it starts to get hard.  I used to do that all the time with 300. Then it went from a physical thing to a mental thing which started to take its toll after a while.  Today I made 320 and thought "Fucking Awesome", it was a complete rush when I racked that son of a bitch.  What kind of rest period should there be in between sets for this style of weight training?  Does it depend on the individual person's ability to recover from each lift or is there a general rule of thumb as you get closer to a personal best?
I

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »
told you bro..gotta get in it ..get your head right..and make it happen. And look at that! Smoked 320! Sounds like you had about as much fun putting it up as I did 420...and it was a fight the whole way. WAY too many people give up halfway through a lift when it starts to get REALLY hard and never try to push through it. NICE PR buddy. Careful with LARGE jumps close to your max but you seemed to have handled it no problem..

if you start benching heavy like that alot.. get you a pair of APT convict pro's or other heavy duty wrist wraps form prowriststraps.com so give you some extra stability and support.
When I wrap up on 365 or better it feels as easy as 315 did before to me. There comes a time when heavy is just heavy and you don't notice a difference. 320 is no slouch for sure! NICE LIFT! `

Nice plug!   8)

:)