Author Topic: Ventura: Will he or won’t he?  (Read 1328 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Ventura: Will he or won’t he?
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
To hear Jesse Ventura tell it, he’s either out to become president or an expatriate.

In the opening to his fourth book, due out April 1, the former wrestler and governor of Minnesota writes: “As I begin to write this book, I’m facing probably the most monumental decision of my 56 years on this planet. Will I run for president of the United States, as an independent, in 2008? Or will I stay as far away from the fray as possible, in a place with no electricity, on a remote beach in Mexico?”
AP

Throughout the book, called “Don’t Start the Revolution Without Me!,” Ventura seems to go back and forth on the question, pro and con:

Pro: “My outrage knows few bounds. … I can’t live with this apathy. I can’t tell myself it’s not happening.”

Con: “Psychologically, I need to break away from the United States. I also felt it was time in my life to go on an adventure. … And I found that, even in the 21st century, you can still be something of a Kit Carson,” the renowned 19th-century frontiersman.

Pro: He details a conversation he had in Mexico with Robert F. Kennedy Jr. about running together on an independent, third-party ticket.

Con: His wife, Terry, says she refuses to be first lady of anything again.

Pro: WWE Wrestling Chairman Vince McMahon told Ventura he’d back his bid “100 percent, with everything I’ve got.”

Con: The epilogue of the book imagines eight months of 2008 headlines, as Ventura decides to run on a “WWE independent ticket.” Ventura envisions “shoving McMahon off to the side” and announcing his candidacy before 70,000 fans at the 24th annual WrestleMania. Which must mean he can’t be serious.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Ventura: Will he or won’t he?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
Wouldn't he have a hard time running for office again in the US after saying this:

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people"

He said this after he had already been elected Governor of Minnesota.

He might be viewed as a closet atheist now.  Isn't there a law in the US that forbids atheists to run for office?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:46:35 AM »
Wouldn't he have a hard time running for office again in the US after saying this:

He might be viewed as a closet atheist now. Isn't there a law in the US that forbids atheists to run for office?

?????  I don't think so.

I think becuase of it, however, he will never get elected.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »

He might be viewed as a closet atheist now.  Isn't there a law in the US that forbids atheists to run for office?

please tell me that was meant to be a joke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
please tell me that was meant to be a joke

No joke.  It is a serious question to Americans.  I saw this in Article 19, section 1 of the Arkansas Constitution and wondered if it was like that in all 50 states.  Has the US ever had an atheist president?

Miscellaneous Provisions.
1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Arkansas Constitution - Page 74
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/data/constitution/ArkansasConstitution1874.pdf

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:38 AM »
Well I guess it's a good thing that Jessie isn't talking about running for the President of Arkansas.

Surely you're familiar with Article VI of the US Constitution:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
Well I guess it's a good thing that Jessie isn't talking about running for the President of Arkansas.

Surely you're familiar with Article VI of the US Constitution:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Thank you!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »
Thank you!

you've seen that before right?

It's been posted over and over on this site

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
you've seen that before right?

It's been posted over and over on this site

Yes.  So even if an atheist can't run for State office in the US, he/she can run for President of the US.  Got it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »
Yes.  So even if an atheist can't run for State office in the US, he/she can run for President of the US.  Got it.

well you only showed a law from one state but even so, I'd bet there are a few athiests holding office in Arkansas.  All they'd have to do it lie about it and what politician has a problem doing that?

Something tells me those good Christian Legislators in Arkansas aren't the sharpest bunch.   Here's a few other gems from that state:

The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock (this one is my favorite)

A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

Here's a few from Little Rock:

Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 PM is against the law.

No one may “suddenly start or stop their car at a McDonald’s.

Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.

Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.

It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »
well you only showed a law from one state but even so, I'd bet there are a few athiests holding office in Arkansas.  All they'd have to do it lie about it and what politician has a problem doing that?

Something tells me those good Christian Legislators in Arkansas aren't the sharpest bunch.   Here's a few other gems from that state:

The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock (this one is my favorite)

A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

Here's a few from Little Rock:

Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 PM is against the law.

No one may “suddenly start or stop their car at a McDonald’s.

Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.

Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.

It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.

LOL... ;D

Isn't this where the Clintons come from?

Yes, I've seen similar lists of crazy/stupid laws like these from other States in the US in emails I've received. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
LOL... ;D

Isn't this where the Clintons come from?

Yes, I've seen similar lists of crazy/stupid laws like these from other States in the US in emails I've received. 

yeah there are lot's of nutty laws on the books.  According the law that you posted an athiest can't testify as a witness in court.   I wonder if anyone has challenged a witness (or refused to testify) using that law?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »

I doubt an atheist would run for president.  They wouldn't get past first base.  People want men and women of faith in public office.  And substantial portions of the public apparently don't trust atheists.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
I'm sure a politician would never misrepresnt his religious beliefs just to get elected

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »
I doubt an atheist would run for president.  They wouldn't get past first base.  People want men and women of faith in public office.  And substantial portions of the public apparently don't trust atheists. 

I personally would trust an atheist over someone of faith.  Religion has an agenda.  Atheists keep shit real by sticking with FACTS.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
I personally would trust an atheist over someone of faith.  Religion has an agenda.  Atheists keep shit real by sticking with FACTS.

You're apparently in the minority:

Atheists Identified as America’s Most Distrusted Minority, According Sociological Study

Washington, DC—American’s increasing acceptance of religious diversity does not extend to those who don’t believe in a god, according to a national survey by researchers in the University of Minnesota’s department of sociology. The study will appear in the April issue of the American Sociological Review.

From a telephone sampling of more than 2,000 households, university researchers found that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in “sharing their vision of American society.” Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.

Even though atheists are few in number, not formally organized and relatively hard to publicly identify, they are seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public. “Atheists, who account for about 3 percent of the U.S. population, offer a glaring exception to the rule of increasing social tolerance over the last 30 years,” says Penny Edgell, associate sociology professor and the study’s lead researcher.

Edgell also argues that today’s atheists play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past—they offer a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society. “It seems most Americans believe that diversity is fine, as long as every one shares a common ‘core’ of values that make them trustworthy—and in America, that ‘core’ has historically been religious,” says Edgell. Many of the study’s respondents associated atheism with an array of moral indiscretions ranging from criminal behavior to rampant materialism and cultural elitism.

Edgell believes a fear of moral decline and resulting social disorder is behind the findings. “Americans believe they share more than rules and procedures with their fellow citizens—they share an understanding of right and wrong,” she said. “Our findings seem to rest on a view of atheists as self-interested individuals who are not concerned with the common good.”

The researchers also found acceptance or rejection of atheists is related not only to personal religiosity, but also to one’s exposure to diversity, education and political orientation—with more educated, East and West Coast Americans more accepting of atheists than their Midwestern counterparts.

The study is co-authored by assistant professor Joseph Gerteis and associate professor Doug Hartmann. It’s the first in a series of national studies conducted the American Mosaic Project, a three-year project funded by the Minneapolis-based David Edelstein Family Foundation that looks at race, religion and cultural diversity in the contemporary United States. 

http://www.asanet.org/cs/root/topnav/press/atheists_are_distrusted

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »
Yeah and people who practice one faith or another are always upstanding citizens.  ::)

Anyone who believes that you need to be a regular church goer or a believer to be honest, fair and intelligent is retarded.