Author Topic: Abortion debate finds common cause  (Read 714 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Abortion debate finds common cause
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
This is just for Deedee.   :)

Abortion debate finds common cause
By the Herald editorial staff
A bill making its way through Congress brings a rare chance for both sides of the abortion debate to come together in a humane way.

The bill, backed by Sens. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., and Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., would create a national registry for families willing to adopt babies born with Down syndrome, spina bifida, cystic fibrosis or dwarfism. It would cost about $5 million.

It's easy to point to the flaws in Congress. They are so many and so visible.

But this is an effort well worth the time and money it will take to set it up.

And Congress is the place for it to start.

A McClatchy news service report quoted Brownback as saying that 90 percent of pregnancies are aborted when genetic tests show a fetus will develop any of the medical conditions or syndromes that would be included in the registry.

That Brownback and Kennedy are teamed up on this bill -- which the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee passed unanimously -- is itself remarkable and understandable.

Brownback is a leading pro-life member of the Senate; Kennedy, who is generally pro-choice, had a sister Rosemary, now deceased, who was mentally retarded.

Rosemary was also, as evidenced by occasional news stories over the years of her life, much beloved by her family.

This idea of a national registry would give pregnant women who might not carry their babies to term another option: A warm and accepting home with parents who are willing to accept the extra responsibilities such children represent.

Caregivers to such children get something special in return too. Love without qualification. The special love of special people who often, somehow are blessed with loving hearts to help make up for their physical conditions.

And they pass that love of life around freely -- starting at home.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/962/story/117296.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Abortion debate finds common cause
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
Hmmm,  i wonder the numbers are.....are they too many babies with problems vs willing adoptees or the other way around?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
Hmmm,  i wonder the numbers are.....are they too many babies with problems vs willing adoptees or the other way around?

This is focused on unborn babies, so I'm not sure your question applies to this proposal?  I think this is designed to encourage pregnant women to give their kids up for adoption instead of killing them.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
Thank you.  :) this is one of the best things I've read in awhile, and is indicative of the kind of behavior one would expect from a civilized society. I hope it works! But even if it doesn't provide as many homes as could be hoped for, I read that part of the bill includes expanding support for would-be parents, so that's a big help too I would think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
Thank you.  :) this is one of the best things I've read in awhile, and is indicative of the kind of behavior one would expect from a civilized society. I hope it works! But even if it doesn't provide as many homes as could be hoped for, I read that part of the bill includes expanding support for would-be parents, so that's a big help too I would think.

I agree. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
This is focused on unborn babies, so I'm not sure your question applies to this proposal?  I think this is designed to encourage pregnant women to give their kids up for adoption instead of killing them.

My is, ar there enough parents willing to match the amount of the babies that may be born.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
My is, ar there enough parents willing to match the amount of the babies that may be born.

Not sure, but the real issue is giving women more options and protecting disabled babies.  It's a good thing.  Rare to see people like Brownback and Kennedy agree on an issue like this. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »
Not sure, but the real issue is giving women more options and protecting disabled babies.  It's a good thing.  Rare to see people like Brownback and Kennedy agree on an issue like this. 

It's a good idea for sure.

however the one problems that might occur is if the couples willing to adopt these babies run out and then there's a surplus of them. 

Would condone same sex couples adopting these babies?