Author Topic: Models Wanted (not book related)  (Read 10504 times)

John Stutz

• Getbig II
Models Wanted (not book related)
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
On Wednesday, I'm expecting a shload of studio lighting equipment to show up on my doorstep. I'm setting up a new indoor studio to try some new tricks. I'm looking for a few special individuals to help me try it out. If interested, drop me a line (by e-mail, do not PM).

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: Models Wanted (not book related)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
On Wednesday, I'm expecting a shload of studio lighting equipment to show up on my doorstep. I'm setting up a new indoor studio to try some new tricks. I'm looking for a few special individuals to help me try it out. If interested, drop me a line (by e-mail, do not PM).

:-X

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
John, it's David. I have a few girls who would be interested. Take your Pick!!! You have my phone # Call me?

John Stutz

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
John, it's David. I have a few girls who would be interested. Take your Pick!!! You have my phone # Call me?

I'm not positive I have your phone number. Can you send it to me via e-mail?

w8m8

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »

;D  Now that's a nice friend   ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
John, you're talking about your house in New Hampshire, right?  ;)

:)

John Stutz

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »

New Hampshire? Does anybody actually live in that state? I thought they just import people from around New England for the primaries once every four years.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
New Hampshire? Does anybody actually live in that state? I thought they just import people from around New England for the primaries once every four years.

A few rednecks and moutain men still live up here.   :P

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

Cow Tippin is BIG up there!.................so is "Inbreeding"...................Confe derate flagged pick up trucks (with gun-rack)...................."Moo Mooo shirts"....................."having no teeth"............the movies "Deliverance" and "Wrong Turn"......."10 months of brutal cold/winter"............."being in the middle of nowhere"and "Moonshine"

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
 :o

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »
 >:(

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
He's silly.  That's Maine, not New Hampshire.  Hell even Michael lived in New Hampshire for a short while.  :)

shhhhhhhhh I can hear the banjo's  :-X
:D Weee

John Stutz

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
Studio equipment delayed slightly...

-------------
Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 03/20/2008.

Tracking Number:** *** *** ** **** *** *
Type:Package
Rescheduled Delivery:03/20/2008
Shipped To:AGOURA HILLS, CA, US
Shipped/Billed On:03/13/2008
Service:GROUND
Weight:11.50 Lbs

Package Progress 
LocationDateLocal TimeDescription
VERNON, CA,  US03/19/200810:10 A.M.ARRIVAL SCAN
VERNON, CA,  US03/18/200811:00 A.M.TRAIN DERAILMENT
MASPETH, NY,  US03/13/200810:05 P.M.DEPARTURE SCAN
MASPETH, NY,  US03/13/200811:28 A.M.ORIGIN SCAN
US03/13/200810:19 P.M.BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS:  03/19/2008 5:02 P.M.  ET

Denny Crane

• Getbig II
  • I also date midgets.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
Studio equipment delayed slightly...

-------------
Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 03/20/2008.

Tracking Number:** *** *** ** **** *** *
Type:Package
Rescheduled Delivery:03/20/2008
Shipped To:AGOURA HILLS, CA, US
Shipped/Billed On:03/13/2008
Service:GROUND
Weight:11.50 Lbs

Package Progress 
LocationDateLocal TimeDescription
VERNON, CA,  US03/19/200810:10 A.M.ARRIVAL SCAN
VERNON, CA,  US03/18/200811:00 A.M.TRAIN DERAILMENT
MASPETH, NY,  US03/13/200810:05 P.M.DEPARTURE SCAN
MASPETH, NY,  US03/13/200811:28 A.M.ORIGIN SCAN
US03/13/200810:19 P.M.BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS:  03/19/2008 5:02 P.M.  ET

Denny Crane. No comment. The blind shall lead. Only in America. Denny Crane.
Denny Crane. Denny Crane.

Nancypro

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
VERNON, CA,  US 03/18/2008 11:00 A.M. TRAIN DERAILMENT

was anyone found at the accident trying to set up a studio taking "portraits"?

John Stutz

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
I did my first test shoot today. I've conclusively proven to myself that after all these years away from indoor shooting, I still suck just as bad as ever.

All I can say is, thank god for Photoshop... and beautiful girls!!

w8m8

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 04:13:44 AM »
I like the way her hair isn't perfect and the look in her eyes says ...... well never mind  8)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
I like the way her hair isn't perfect and the look in her eyes says ...... well never mind  8)

I like the way she looks like an eastern european sex trade worker,

oh and the eyebrows, lack thereof.

w8m8

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:57:37 AM »
what makes you think eastern European , 'splain me ?

honest
I'd like to know the "trait" you're seeing that I seem to miss  :-\

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 05:13:54 AM »
I wanna know what was photoshopped.

John Stutz

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »

I wanna know what was photoshopped.

Everything was Photoshopped!! (except for the model)

This was my first "test shoot" of my new studio equipment. Prior to the shoot, I pretty much had absolutely no idea whatsoever how to use any of it. After the shoot... I still pretty much have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to use any of it.

On a scale of 0 to 10 measuring how the use of the lighting equipment produced imagery that resembled how I'd like an image to look as it was captured by the camera, most of the images on this shoot rated between 1 and 3. For the most part, my job as a photographer to light my subject to produce a desirable effect was a complete failure by all accounts. That's why we call it a test shoot though.

The fact that I was able to salvage the image in photoshop is little consolation to me, even though the final result is pleasing to the eye. My purpose in using studio lighting is to predictably create stunning imagery not possible with natural sunlight. It is NOT to randomly spew bad light onto a model and pray that I might be able to find a way in Photoshop to make 1 photo in 100 look half way decent, though nothing at all like I was trying to accomplish.

As for your question, Photoshop was used to: set the color balance (which is not abnormal since I never bother to set it in camera); correct for wrong exposure; alter levels to balance out the awful tones; and desaturate the image. I also retouched the images to remove 50+ dust specs on my sensor (which evidently show up 100x stronger under strobe lighting compared with sunlighting) and to remove one or two normal skin blemishes. Otherwise, the model is fairly unretouched.

One good note is that the model (and her friend who accompanied her) were able to help me with this test shoot and give me several hints as to what other good photographers they have worked with typically do to achieve the results I'm looking for. They were even good enough to look at samples on the web and talk with me about lighting technique. One huge clue that she gave me has already lead me to figure out one thing I'm doing that is the likely cause of much of my undesirable lighting effects, so I will work on making changes, which hopefully will improve my next test shoot dramatically.

If you've read this far, then let me add a few more notes...

For starters, note that the model I shot with was smart enough to bring a friend to the shoot! I recommend that for any model who does not know the photographer she's working with. Not only was that smart for her, but her friend, who was equally gorgeous, was amazingly helpful. I love having helpers on shoots!!! Plus, I now have two new models in my favor, and they're both amazing people :-)

Next, the model's friend (who had more time to spend looking through my book) was mesmerized by it :-) I won't repeat her comments, but I'll just say they were very, very.. VERY flattering. :-) The reason I'm bothering to mention this is because the book has clearly shown to appeal to people unfamiliar with the fitness industry. That's a very positive thing (I believe) for us folks inside the fitness industry because it will hopefully shed a very positive light on the incredible dedication and hard work of female fitness athletes to the outside world.

Lastly, both models told me they eat well and work out religiously. Yet they told me they can't seem to achieve the body transformation they're looking for, which is to have the subtle muscle tone that comes with being fit, like a tight midsection, a world-class butt, and the extra little tricep pop. Both were in terrific "model" shape, but they really wanted to sculpt their physique a little more towards being defined. I told them about competition dieting, suplementation, and depletion and I even showed them THe BEAST's training log on here (plus I showed them how lighting and oil also affect results on photoshoot day). But if anyone here would like to volunteer a little time to give some "normal girls" a few pointers, or some direction on where to find good info to dial in their physiques, they'd appreciate some kind assistance. Note that they are both vegetarians, and neither are looking to gain substantial muscle, just be "tight" with a few extra muscle defining highlights to their bod. Thanks.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »
Lastly, both models told me they eat well and work out religiously. Yet they told me they can't seem to achieve the body transformation they're looking for, which is to have the subtle muscle tone that comes with being fit, like a tight midsection, a world-class butt, and the extra little tricep pop. Both were in terrific "model" shape, but they really wanted to sculpt their physique a little more towards being defined. I told them about competition dieting, suplementation, and depletion and I even showed them THe BEAST's training log on here (plus I showed them how lighting and oil also affect results on photoshoot day). But if anyone here would like to volunteer a little time to give some "normal girls" a few pointers, or some direction on where to find good info to dial in their physiques, they'd appreciate some kind assistance. Note that they are both vegetarians, and neither are looking to gain substantial muscle, just be "tight" with a few extra muscle defining highlights to their bod. Thanks.
I'm sure their training and diet is completely different to those who bodybuild.  Most women who go to the gym and workout (that look "modelish") do basic training and not muscle building training.  Have them watch a female who is a bber/figure/fitness competitor train and they will realize what they might be doing wrong.  Once I started getting ready to do a figure show...all my training changed.  When I moved over to bbing, it changed even more.  Just my suggestion.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »

Good stuff John.  Tell them to join Getbig and start posting on the FBB/Women's Training Board, and I'll be happy to help them out!   :D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I did my first test shoot today. I've conclusively proven to myself that after all these years away from indoor shooting, I still suck just as bad as ever.

All I can say is, thank god for Photoshop... and beautiful girls!!

blech !