Author Topic: Good Morning Squats...do you do these?  (Read 6331 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
Re: Good Morning Squats...do you do these?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 04:57:32 AM »
I agree with the first part of this.
Good mornings will help you improve both your squats and deads (specially if like me you prefer do to it stiff legged).
The thing is I never have to much time during the week to do them, my lower back beeing under constant tension from both squats and SLDL.
A classic "do as I say don't do as I do".
But I really don't see the point of adding a squat to the movement.
It's like super-setting two compounds which is not the way I'd do it but I'm pretty sure that out there some people super-set compound movements and feel it's great.
I don't.
Agreed...I run into the same situation with the lower back being exposed to a lot of work, however, I have found that doing GM's during the leg w/o is the best time to do them...I have been doing the following for a leg w/o....BB squats, leg press, Good mornings, extnsions........I do hyperxtensions during my back w/o

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:01 AM »
Good mornings are the single most important movement you can do in buiding core strength.In our gym we have had 9 guys pull over 720 and we dont ever train the deadlift off the floor.They are perfectly safe,the only reason anyone gets injured from doing them is they have weak abs.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 05:12:29 AM »
Never seen the combo before, but the traditional good morning seems like a pretty effective exercise.
No doubt about it...

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15:38 AM »
Agreed...I run into the same situation with the lower back being exposed to a lot of work, however, I have found that doing GM's during the leg w/o is the best time to do them...I have been doing the following for a leg w/o....BB squats, leg press, Good mornings, extnsions........I do hyperxtensions during my back w/o

Makes sense. Question is: While doing GM, do you feel most of the stress on your hams (and glutes maybe) or your lower back? I'll do a few sets of hyperextensions every time I'll do some ab workout, which is almost every day. I feel the tension on the lower back implied by hyperextensions is different from the one you get from squats and DL (but I don't add weight I have to say).

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 05:42:13 AM »
You feel it in all three areas.They work the posterior chain all the way from the back of the knee to the middle of your back.If you do them with straighter legs its hams,if you do them with the legs more bent,its glutes and lower back.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
You feel it in all three areas.They work the posterior chain all the way from the back of the knee to the middle of your back.If you do them with straighter legs its hams,if you do them with the legs more bent,its glutes and lower back.

Sounds Logical. I should have thought of that. Thks.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 06:19:39 AM »
I take a good morning squat every morning :)

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 09:05:50 AM »
agreed...i use a bent knee approach

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
very effective exercise and a GREAT warmup before squatting..or if you're looking at knocking out two exercises in one if you're cramped for time...again they are suited perfectly.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
I agree with the first part of this.
Good mornings will help you improve both your squats and deads (specially if like me you prefer do to it stiff legged).
The thing is I never have to much time during the week to do them, my lower back beeing under constant tension from both squats and SLDL.
A classic "do as I say don't do as I do".
But I really don't see the point of adding a squat to the movement.
It's like super-setting two compounds which is not the way I'd do it but I'm pretty sure that out there some people super-set compound movements and feel it's great.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »

right now I'm searching youtube for behind the neck bench pressing vids.........

and when I find some I'm gonna be HUUUUGE !

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
from this thread, I'm thinking about adding it in to my hamstrings workout. but, finding room for it is hard. I only do stiff dead lifts, lying leg curls and seated leg curls.  what exercise sould i replace with Good mornings??

I do fronts every other week for quads

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »
from this thread, I'm thinking about adding it in to my hamstrings workout. but, finding room for it is hard. I only do stiff dead lifts, lying leg curls and seated leg curls.  what exercise sould i replace with Good mornings??

I do fronts every other week for quads
susbtitute for stiff legs.
follow the arrows

sip53tkd

• Getbig I
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:51 AM »

This is an old time exercise. It works really great to build lots of muscle on the lower back.
I used to do reps with 225.

SpeedDemon

• Getbig II
  • Hard work pays off
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »

That movement is more of a functional strength exercise.

It is taking the weight from a disadvantaged position (the load is way in front of your hips)

and then digging your hips under to achieve a stronger better position to lift the weight.

A great exercise for wrestling

it does look like an idiot could easily wreck their back with these though

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »
i do them once a week on back day.  the heavier you go the better it feels, well, at least up to a point.