Author Topic: Obama's Race Speech  (Read 3567 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

The Coach

Re: Obama's Race Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »
Speaking on his "white" grandmother....

OBAMA:  A woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world but a woman who once confessed her view of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.  These people are part of me --

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

OBAMA:  A woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world but a woman who once confessed her view of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.  These people are part of me --

Why did you highlight this?  What's your opinion?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
Why did you highlight this?  What's your opinion?

His opinion is that you're a lib who is going to hell, and [insert rush transcript here]

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »
His opinion is that you're a lib who is going to hell, and [insert rush transcript here]
LOL, but I don't think Joe's opinion of me is that cruel...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
LOL, but I don't think Joe's opinion of me is that cruel...

he has said that libs don't go to heaven...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
he has said that libs don't go to heaven...
rhetoric on the board.  I don't believe Joe is that sinister at heart.  He's got a good side and this comes from a hardcore lib ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »
rhetoric on the board.  I don't believe Joe is that sinister at heart.  He's got a good side and this comes from a hardcore lib ;D

I agree completely.   however, as a born again christian, sometimes I think he feels obligated to parrot everything repub party says and does.  Like, he believes that he's sinning if he takes any dem positions.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
I agree completely.   however, as a born again christian, sometimes I think he feels obligated to parrot everything repub party says and does.  Like, he believes that he's sinning if he takes any dem positions.

That's probably true.  I just know Joe has a good side most don't get to see on the board...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!
w

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »

That was a good way of saying he has a balance of "racists" he has been close to in his life, so don't take the words of my preacher too seriously, the views of my grandmother cancels it out.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »
Someone throw up a race card, cause that was lame. He should have came out with it and admitted he holds the same opinions as his preacher.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »
Someone throw up a race card, cause that was lame. He should have came out with it and admitted he holds the same opinions as his preacher.

holy crap... I didn't know going to church held a prerequisite of faithfully adopting all political beliefs brought up by the preacher/pastor.  ::)  Sounds fucking retarded but I'll take your word for it I guess ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:18 AM »

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:05 AM »

Why do you highlight this section of his speech and put quotation marks around "white"? 
 ???

The speech itself was fantastic. The best speech on the issue of race since the "I Have A Dream" speech of '63. It won't draw any bigots to his side, but Obama's not going to get that vote anyway. I wish these television commentators would stop asking if he can get the white working class vote. Those votes will go to Clinton and then McCain. Obama appeals to intelligent white people with some education.   :D
!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 04:56:36 AM »
Obama's Speech
By Thomas Sowell
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
townhall.com

Did Senator Barack Obama's speech in Philadelphia convince people that he is still a viable candidate to be President of the United States, despite the adverse reactions to statements by his pastor, Jeremiah Wright?

The polls and the primaries will answer that question.

The great unasked question for Senator Obama is the question that was asked about President Nixon during the Watergate scandal; What did he know and when did he know it?

Although Senator Obama would now have us believe that he is shocked, shocked, at what Jeremiah Wright said, that he was not in the church when pastor Wright said those things from the pulpit, this still leaves the question of why he disinvited Wright from the event at which he announced his candidacy for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination a year ago.

Either Barack Obama or his staff must have known then that Jeremiah Wright was not someone whom they wanted to expose to the media and to the media scrutiny to which that could lead.

Why not, if it is only now that Senator Obama is learning for the first time, to his surprise, what kinds of things Jeremiah Wright has been saying and doing?

No one had to be in church the day Wright made his inflammatory and obscene remarks to know about them.

The cable news journalists who are playing the tapes of those sermons were not there. The tapes were on sale in the church itself. Obama knew that because he had bought one or more of those tapes.

But even if there were no tapes, and even if Obama never heard from other members of the church what their pastor was saying, he spent 20 years in that church, not just as an ordinary member but also as someone who once donated $20,000 to the church.

There was no way that he didn't know about Jeremiah Wright's anti-American and racist diatribes from the pulpit.

Someone once said that a con man's job is not to convince skeptics but to enable people to continue to believe what they already want to believe.

Accordingly, Obama's Philadelphia speech -- a theatrical masterpiece -- will probably reassure most Democrats and some other Obama supporters. They will undoubtedly say that we should now "move on," even though many Democrats have still not yet moved on from George W. Bush's 2000 election victory.

Like the Soviet show trials during their 1930s purges, Obama's speech was not supposed to convince critics but to reassure supporters and fellow-travelers, in order to keep the "useful idiots" useful.

Best-selling author Shelby Steele's recent book on Barack Obama ("A Bound Man") has valuable insights into both the man and the circumstances facing many other blacks -- especially those who were never part of the black ghetto culture but who feel a need to identify with it for either personal, political or financial reasons.

Like religious converts who become more Catholic than the Pope, such people often become blacker-than-thou. For whatever reason, Barack Obama chose a black extremist church decades ago -- even though there was no shortage of very different churches, both black and white -- in Chicago.

Some say that he was trying to earn credibility on the ghetto streets, to facilitate his work as a community activist or for his political career. We may never know why.

But now that Barack Obama is running for a presidential nomination, he is doing so on a radically different basis, as a post-racial candidate uniquely prepared to bring us all together.

Yet the past continues to follow him, despite his attempts to bury it and the mainstream media's attempts to ignore it or apologize for it.

Shelby Steele depicts Barack Obama as a man without real convictions, "an iconic figure who neglected to become himself."

Senator Obama has been at his best as an icon, able with his command of words to meet other people's psychic needs, including a need to dispel white guilt by supporting his candidacy.

But President of the United States, in a time of national danger, under a looming threat of nuclear terrorism? No.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:14:49 AM »
She hits the nail right on the head with this article...

Guilting America to the White House
By Kathleen Parker
townhall.com

Barack Obama is a magician.

He could tell me it's raining on a sunny day, and I'd grab an umbrella. He could tell me the moon is the sun, and I'd reach for my shades.

He could even tell me that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's rants god-damning America and blaming AIDS on a white-man conspiracy were wrong but essentially justified by a racist past ... and I'd have to slap myself before I saddled up a polka-dotted horse and galloped down the Yellow Brick Road.

Obama's speech Tuesday from Philadelphia -- the city of brotherly love -- was eloquent, inspiring and will be read in schools for generations. But between the lines of change and reconciliation were a discomfiting hint of buried fury, a sense of racial righteousness and a tacit approval attached to his expressed disapproval of Wright's now-famous raves that will leave many Americans wondering: Is he with us? Or is he against us?

In a flourish of brilliance, Obama framed his Rev. Wright problem in the context of America's unfinished work toward "a more perfect union," as envisioned by the nation's forefathers. It isn't that Wright is off-the-wall, we were to infer. It is that our country is falling short of its promise.

Which isn't completely false, of course, but not completely true, either. America isn't finished with its business of equality -- and race does still bedevil us -- but our progress since the twin blights of slavery and Jim Crow isn't insignificant.

Ever conscious of his pledge to unity, Obama acknowledged as much, saying that Wright wasn't wrong to talk about racism -- even if it was one-sided. He was wrong to speak "as if our society was static: as if no progress has been made."

But what he didn't acknowledge is that Wright is completely off-the-wall, even if the snippets we've seen are only a fraction of his life's work. Give Wright credit for helping the unfortunate and for leading Obama to his faith. But those accomplishments don't quite neutralize the anti-white message of the man Obama selected as his spiritual mentor.

Like the best politicians, Obama senses our restlessness. One of his many gifts is his ability to lull people with flawless logic and uplifting rhetoric.

Of course he disagrees with some of Wright's controversial statements -- just as most people disagree with some of what their pastors and rabbis say. We're yum-yumming that idea, thinking "Yeah, that's right," when our inner reality-checker kicks in and kills the buzz.

Then we remember that advancing lies and conspiracy theories that pit black against white is not, in fact, defensible. And that what many find offensive in Wright's statements is not comparable to the minor differences they likely have with their own pastors and rabbis.

The question still remains: Why did Obama, future author of racial harmony, stay with a preacher whose black nationalist leanings were no secret?

Obama said he could no more denounce Wright, who is "like family," than he could denounce the black community -- or his white grandmother. Instead, he praised Wright's larger presence and purpose in the black community as outweighing the YouTube replays of a profane man on the verge of paranoiac hysteria.

Moreover, the minister whom Obama first got to know 20 years ago spoke of "our obligations to love one another." But given Wright's racist eruptions, white Americans are justified in wondering whether those charitable thoughts also apply to them.

Finally, Obama suggested that if Wright is occasionally angry, he has a right to be, as does the community he serves. And if white Americans are startled to witness that anger, they haven't been paying attention.

That was a risky message, but one that counted on a reliable well of white guilt. Then Obama took another pre-emptive gamble and implored Americans to look at Wright's anger, rather than avert their gaze, and to embrace that anger as a prompt to change.

In other words, he artfully shifted focus from his still-perplexing relationship with Wright to our own dark hearts. The choice is ours, he said:

We can focus on one ol' crazy uncle who sometimes gets a little carried away -- and in so doing, destroy the audacity of hope. Or, we can keep our nation's date with destiny, fulfill the dream imagined 221 years ago to form a more perfect union.

And elect Barack Obama.

Anyone who fails to embrace the only appealing option -- eschewing cheap spectacle for a dance with destiny to the tune of hope -- begins to feel a little woozy and, oddly, un-American.

Abracadabra.

Kathleen Parker is a syndicated columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group.
[/i]

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 05:34:21 AM »
She hits the nail right on the head with this article...

Guilting America to the White House
By Kathleen Parker
townhall.com

Barack Obama is a magician.

He could tell me it's raining on a sunny day, and I'd grab an umbrella. He could tell me the moon is the sun, and I'd reach for my shades.

He could even tell me that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's rants god-damning America and blaming AIDS on a white-man conspiracy were wrong but essentially justified by a racist past ... and I'd have to slap myself before I saddled up a polka-dotted horse and galloped down the Yellow Brick Road.

Obama's speech Tuesday from Philadelphia -- the city of brotherly love -- was eloquent, inspiring and will be read in schools for generations. But between the lines of change and reconciliation were a discomfiting hint of buried fury, a sense of racial righteousness and a tacit approval attached to his expressed disapproval of Wright's now-famous raves that will leave many Americans wondering: Is he with us? Or is he against us?

In a flourish of brilliance, Obama framed his Rev. Wright problem in the context of America's unfinished work toward "a more perfect union," as envisioned by the nation's forefathers. It isn't that Wright is off-the-wall, we were to infer. It is that our country is falling short of its promise.

Which isn't completely false, of course, but not completely true, either. America isn't finished with its business of equality -- and race does still bedevil us -- but our progress since the twin blights of slavery and Jim Crow isn't insignificant.

Ever conscious of his pledge to unity, Obama acknowledged as much, saying that Wright wasn't wrong to talk about racism -- even if it was one-sided. He was wrong to speak "as if our society was static: as if no progress has been made."

But what he didn't acknowledge is that Wright is completely off-the-wall, even if the snippets we've seen are only a fraction of his life's work. Give Wright credit for helping the unfortunate and for leading Obama to his faith. But those accomplishments don't quite neutralize the anti-white message of the man Obama selected as his spiritual mentor.

Like the best politicians, Obama senses our restlessness. One of his many gifts is his ability to lull people with flawless logic and uplifting rhetoric.

Of course he disagrees with some of Wright's controversial statements -- just as most people disagree with some of what their pastors and rabbis say. We're yum-yumming that idea, thinking "Yeah, that's right," when our inner reality-checker kicks in and kills the buzz.

Then we remember that advancing lies and conspiracy theories that pit black against white is not, in fact, defensible. And that what many find offensive in Wright's statements is not comparable to the minor differences they likely have with their own pastors and rabbis.

The question still remains: Why did Obama, future author of racial harmony, stay with a preacher whose black nationalist leanings were no secret?

Obama said he could no more denounce Wright, who is "like family," than he could denounce the black community -- or his white grandmother. Instead, he praised Wright's larger presence and purpose in the black community as outweighing the YouTube replays of a profane man on the verge of paranoiac hysteria.

Moreover, the minister whom Obama first got to know 20 years ago spoke of "our obligations to love one another." But given Wright's racist eruptions, white Americans are justified in wondering whether those charitable thoughts also apply to them.

Finally, Obama suggested that if Wright is occasionally angry, he has a right to be, as does the community he serves. And if white Americans are startled to witness that anger, they haven't been paying attention.

That was a risky message, but one that counted on a reliable well of white guilt. Then Obama took another pre-emptive gamble and implored Americans to look at Wright's anger, rather than avert their gaze, and to embrace that anger as a prompt to change.

In other words, he artfully shifted focus from his still-perplexing relationship with Wright to our own dark hearts. The choice is ours, he said:

We can focus on one ol' crazy uncle who sometimes gets a little carried away -- and in so doing, destroy the audacity of hope. Or, we can keep our nation's date with destiny, fulfill the dream imagined 221 years ago to form a more perfect union.

And elect Barack Obama.

Anyone who fails to embrace the only appealing option -- eschewing cheap spectacle for a dance with destiny to the tune of hope -- begins to feel a little woozy and, oddly, un-American.

Abracadabra.

Kathleen Parker is a syndicated columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group.
[/i]
*yawn*
I'm not reading that bullshit. In America people are free to vote for who they want...
!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »
*yawn*
I'm not reading that bullshit. In America people are free to vote for who they want...
lol, that's the whole point of me posting the articles...provide different viewpoints.  i think that's the whole point of this board...different perspectives on what we see in politics.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »
NO way...only one view point is allowed...if u disagree ur a fascist Repub/neocon/Rush/Bushbot.  His speech was ok, what could he say....he wasn't going to defend the guy. I don't think he distanced himself enough but I'm sure his supporters are happy enough. Mccain is pulling ahead because of all this crap.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »

perfect

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »
NO way...only one view point is allowed...if u disagree ur a fascist Repub/neocon/Rush/Bushbot.  His speech was ok, what could he say....he wasn't going to defend the guy. I don't think he distanced himself enough but I'm sure his supporters are happy enough. Mccain is pulling ahead because of all this crap.
I wonder how this is impacting Hillary Clinton's poll numbers?  Is she gaining from it? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 08:42:14 AM »
Mccain is ahead slightly overall...from some of the numbers I saw this morning. Also undecides seem to be favoring either Hil or Mccain...we'll see next week where this is headed.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »
Mccain is ahead slightly overall...from some of the numbers I saw this morning. Also undecides seem to be favoring either Hil or Mccain...we'll see next week where this is headed.

If mccain wins (Corruption) then please remember that your undieing support for him put you into the govt bread line.  Oh wait your a govt worker.    Please remember that as you line up your relatives in the bread line.   At least do that for them, if your going to put them there........ :-[

P.S.  Brush up on the chinese language.  This is for job security.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:51 AM »
I don't like Mccain all that much....but Hil or Obama...yeah right. I can say "fuck ur mother" in Chinese. Just make sure ur papers are in order when the crackdown comes ;)
L