Author Topic: Obama's Speech Was An Act Of Political Necessity, Not Courage  (Read 3898 times)

The Coach

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: In one of our sound bites in the last hour from Obama's speech, Obama was talking about his preacher, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, having a profoundly distorted view of this country.  Yet he hung in there with it, and I don't know if he even tried to change Reverend Wright's distorted view of the country.  Also, here you had Obama saying that he cannot disown Wright any more than he can disown his race or disown his grandmother.  In that little passage he said that... In fact, let me find that.  I'm going to... (muttering) It's on the bottom here.  (muttering)  I'm trying to avoid dead air here, folks. That's why I'm just scatting along.  Yeah, grab number 19.  Grab audio sound bites number 19.  All right, let her rip.

OBAMA:  Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety.  The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence, and the shocking ignorance; the struggles and successes, the love and, yes, the bitterness and biases that make up the black experience in America.  And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright.

RUSH:  Hubba hubba.

OBAMA:  As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me.

RUSH:  Hubba hubba.

OBAMA:  I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community.

RUSH:  Right on, right on.

OBAMA:  I can no more disown him than I can disown my white grandmother.

RUSH:  Right on.

OBAMA:  A woman who helped raise me.

RUSH:  Right on.

OBAMA:  A woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world but a woman who once confessed her view of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.  These people are part of me --

RUSH:  There!

OBAMA:  -- and they are a part of America --

RUSH:  There!

OBAMA:  -- the country that I love.

RUSH:  There.  You see that? My reaction to that... You have to understand something, folks. I'm an individualist.  I don't want to be put in a group, other than an American.  But I don't want to be put in some group, and I don't want to be told that I am who I am because of people I've known or my family or the genetic code that led me to be born the way I'm born.  I don't want to be told that, because that gives me an excuse for being whatever reprobate I want to be.  That gives me an excuse for excusing anything.  "Well, I can't help it. That's who I am!" How come in Barack's litany of all these people that made him who he is, he left out Reverend Wright?  How come if his racist grandmother is part of him, and if the black community is part of him, how come Reverend Wright isn't part of him?  Well, he's like family?  Okay. Are we to assume that Obama harbors some of the same distorted views of America that Wright does?  Well, I think it's a legitimate question to ask, based on the very premise that he was making in that statement.  It's damn legitimate to ask that question. (sigh) The more I hear about this, frankly -- the more I think about it and the more I hear about it -- the more angry I'm getting about it. 

He can't disown Reverend Wright or his race or his grandmother.  Okay, fine.  Let's accept that.  How many white politicians and people in public life, have been forced to disown this or that or some other thing, and "distance" themselves, or at least tell 'em they're wrong?  How many times has it happened?  It has happened a plethora of times, and I'm tired of the excuse: "Well, original sin, years and years of discrimination. We have to understand their rage. We have to cut them some slack."  No. Not if we're going to have unity.  We make racists of black babies and infants if we grant them this kind of latitude.  We are, by definition, saying, "We have so much guilt, you guys can go ahead and be racists and hatemongers because we did it, to you -- and yeah, we'll occasionally let you spank us for what our ancestors did all those hundreds of years ago."  That, to me, is insulting.  That is derogatory in and of itself, when you adopt a guilt-based attitude that permits bad behavior -- incorrect, uninformed behavior and thinking -- to thrive and to continue.  This whole speech is trying to put America on defensive.  The Democrat Party is doing enough of that as it is.

Hillary Clinton is out there saying we can't win in Iraq.  We can't win.  Hell's bells, we are the United States of America!  We can do anything we want when we set our mind to it.  But we have a political party destined to see this country crumble, if for no other reason than so they can get their dirty little hands on it and control it and remake it as they want.  Can I summarize Obama's speech for you, ladies and gentlemen?  Here it is in a nutshell: "Racism is wrong.  Barking-mad racism and hate -- yes, as uttered by Reverend Wright; yes, barking-mad racism and hatred -- is wrong, but it's justified, because we don't have nationalized health care."  That's Barack Obama's speech.  Reverend Wright's justified. Barack's justified. All the racism, all the hatred, all the bigotry out there for this country on the left is justified 'cause we don't have national health care and because we don't get the troops out of Iraq and because we're bailing out Wall Street firms, and because the schools are going to hell in a handbasket.  Oh, that's another thing!  Barack Obama correctly identifies that urban schools are failing. Well, who's fault is this?  Who is maintaining these schools as they are?  Is it not the American left and its cozy relationship with teachers unions? 

I mean, the last time I looked there are a lot of Republican right-wing philanthropists who have come along and offered vouchers or free tuition to private schools, and the people I see lining up faster than anybody are African-American parents who want their kids out of these sinkhole schools they're in that Barack Obama just got through ripping to shreds.  But who maintains 'em?  Who established them?  Who is it that's constantly speaking out against them and hoping that they change?  It's people like us, who only want the best for everybody in this country.  It doesn't matter whether they're black, white, indigenous American, whatever.  This racism business is going back and forth and it currently resides primarily on the left of this country as the Democrat Party's presidential campaign has clearly shown.  So what has happened now?  America, I think, for the most part (there are, of course, exceptions to this) has transcended race.  There's so much evidence of that that I don't even want to waste time citing it.  But Barack Obama's church hasn't.  Barack Obama's church has not transcended race nor has it transcended hate.  Barack Obama has not spoken out about that until now, and as a good politician, he doesn't want to be left behind so he has to speak out about it.  This speech was an act of political necessity, not courage.  This was an act of political necessity.   

END TRANSCRIPT

Read the Background Material...

• Wall Street Journal: The Obama Bargain - Shelby Steele
• AP: Obama Confronts Racial Division in US
• American Thinker: Obama: 'No Sudden Moves' When Talking to Whites

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Obama's Speech Was An Act Of Political Necessity, Not Courage
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »
I heard that yesterday...what else could Obama say..he was trapped.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »
This is fantastic.

The republican party and Bush administration have driven this country into the ground over the past 7+ years and you're upset with a speech designed to appeal to the potato heads out there that can't focus on important issues for more than a minute.

Great.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:11 AM »
This is fantastic.

The republican party and Bush administration have driven this country into the ground over the past 7+ years and you're upset with a speech designed to appeal to the potato heads out there that can't focus on important issues for more than a minute.

Great.

LOL....ok Decker! Get Obama or Killiry in there then come talk to me after raise your taxes to where you have to take a loan to pay them or better yet, wait until the enemy takes the war over here and hit's every major city and port.....then lets see how much you bitch about the economy.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
Decker...we're talking about Obama...there are plenty of threads bashing Bush. This guy wants to be president and he has major issues with this country. This guy is all smoke and mirrors..he never addresses the issues. Now we have this race crap. Everybody talks about Repubs as being racist. They didn't start this crap..Hil and Bill and now members of Obama's team have dragged this shit up.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
LOL....ok Decker! Get Obama or Killiry in there then come talk to me after raise your taxes to where you have to take a loan to pay them or better yet, wait until the enemy takes the war over here and hit's every major city and port.....then lets see how much you bitch about the economy.
Yes, the inimitable and overpowering republican prophesies.

Well, here's a little history for you b/c, unlike you, I cannot foresee the future.

Last time this country had a tax hike, it experience the largest and longest period of economic growth in history.  That's a fact.  The deficit was erased and the debt was being paid down.

Where do we stand after Bush's trillion dollar tax cuts?

We are back to deficit spending, a recession looms and the national debt is through the roof.

I hear plenty of bitching right now.

As for your war theorizing, well, that's another chestnut from the same people that took us into the single worst foreign Policy blunder in history, i.e., Iraq.  No functional ties to Al Qaeda and no WMDs while OB Laden is in another country.

You're full of overpowering evidence today.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:10:44 AM »
Decker...we're talking about Obama...there are plenty of threads bashing Bush. This guy wants to be president and he has major issues with this country. This guy is all smoke and mirrors..he never addresses the issues. Now we have this race crap. Everybody talks about Repubs as being racist. They didn't start this crap..Hil and Bill and now members of Obama's team have dragged this shit up.
I am simply noting that this issue of the minister and the race speech are small potatoes for small people.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

I'd say his pastor has major issues - not Obama

That's the whole point of this fake issue. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
This is not a fake issue..it may be ridiculous but its news and it sheds light on Obama's belief system.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:14:39 AM »
This is not a fake issue..it may be ridiculous but its news and it sheds light on Obama's belief system.

ok - you think it's relevent

I think it something to keep you pre-occuppied so you won't feel outraged about the real issues

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
This is fantastic.

Great.

In the past, Coach has demanded an investigation into the results of professional bodybuilding shows, but claims that there should be zero investigation into anything the whte house has done in 7 years.

When you take that into consideration, arguing is pointless.  You see what he cares about.  Loyalty and fear trump common sense and right/wrong.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »
In the past, Coach has demanded an investigation into the results of professional bodybuilding shows, but claims that there should be zero investigation into anything the whte house has done in 7 years.

When you take that into consideration, arguing is pointless.  You see what he cares about.  Loyalty and fear trump common sense and right/wrong.
That's what I don't understand. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
ok - you think it's relevent

I think it something to keep you pre-occuppied so you won't feel outraged about the real issues

Based on past posts u dismiss organized relgion...no big deal but in this case, it gives insight into his character and belief system. If u dismiss the topic u can still gain something from the issue by looking how's he delt with it. He hoped it would go away. This issue was out there for a long time. Ur bashing Bush for his head in the sand approach...this is similar. Not on the same magnitude, but u can see how the wheels work in obama's head. This guy scares me.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

Based on past posts u dismiss organized relgion...no big deal but in this case, it gives insight into his character and belief system. If u dismiss the topic u can still gain something from the issue by looking how's he delt with it. He hoped it would go away. This issue was out there for a long time. Ur bashing Bush for his head in the sand approach...this is similar. Not on the same magnitude, but u can see how the wheels work in obama's head. This guy scares me.

I just think this "issue" has been manufactured by the media just like the national anthem and the lapel pin.   It's just a spin on the classic neo-con tactic of calling into question your opponents patriotism and loyalty (as perceived by the right).   Personally, I think all religious issues should be private.   This preacher said a bunch of stupid stuff that most people don't agree with but the reality is that some people (especially from this persons background and generation) may harbor these feelings and Obama was right in pointing that out.   

I don't think it's fair to look at a few clips from this guy and make a sweeping judgement about Obama but then that's exactly what the right wing strategist want you to do (an probably Hilary strategist too) 

I look at the last 7 years of the Bush Administration and all I see is someone who HATES this country - the suppression of civil liberties, the obscene run up in our national debt,  the criminally negligent execution of duties as commander in chief, etc....

I prefer to judge the person on their own actions and not the few clips of a speech of someone who with whom they happen to be associated.

I dont agree with Wrights comment and neither does Obama.  He unequivocally repudiated those statements and did the Christian thing (or maybe just human thing) and didn't reject the person who has been his friend and who helped lead him to a spiritual life. 

I say let's get on with the real issues facing ALL of us in the future 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
Rascism is still a problem for americans. Thats a fact and was shown proof by this ministers outlandish sermons.  So it got exposed and OBAMA would rather confront a situation than deny it to all existence.  Its refreshing to someone act on a situation to clarify as opposed to denying until its epic in proportion.....see(Bush) and how stupid everyone thinks he is......

Obama showed quick action on a sore subject and didnt act as if nothing is wrong.  Who cares what his reason was, anyway.    Seems to be a leader and have leader skills.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »
Quick action..ur joking right. This crap has been out there for 17 months. He should have distanced himself before the voters got a shot at him. He let its linger all last week. He was pretty much forced into making a speech he definitly did not want to make.

After watching Obama's generally maladroit handling of the Jeremiah Wright matter, it's safe to conclude that he is indeed a lot more passive than the typical politician. The clock began ticking on this scandal thirteen months ago when Rolling Stone published an article on the Meshuganeh Minister. Obama resolutely did nothing. He didn't leave the church, nor did he make a statement that would put the matter to bed long before the voting began. He apparently had the audacity to believe 
that hoping the matter would disappear was tantamount to a plan. The statements he made that attempted to dismiss the affair (like the infamous "crazy uncle" comment) were doomed and in a way pathetic. It says something about Obama that forthrightly dealing with the problem was apparently his least preferred option.

As the scandal intensified over the last couple of weeks, Obama remained resolutely indecisive. Initially, he split hairs about whether he was in the pews for Reverend Wright's greatest hits. Then he lashed out at "voices of division."

After days of dithering, Obama took a belated tour of the cable news networks last Friday. As the talk refused to dispel, Obama finally wound up where he did yesterday--giving a "major address" on the matter. For those looking for indications of what kind of resolution and rapid response the Obama administration might show at a time of crisis, the handling of the Reverend Wright affair provides a teachable moment.

L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
HH - this fake issue didn't have legs until the videos starting showing up and right wing blow holes (and actually some on the left too) starting running with it.

All people in Obama's situation know that when you address an issue you give it some tacit legitimacy and it serves no benefit to do that too soon.  At this point it became something he was forced to address and I think he did decent job with it. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
His timing was appropriate.   Its not like he declared "Mission Accomplished" 1,802 days ago in Iraq.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »
This is a major issue bro...major...u might not like it and find it distasteful..but its a major issue. He could have killed it months ago. Obama did not want to give that speech. I believe a well crafted news release and maybe a short interview would have done the job for him last year. He's dealing with this while Mccain is out collecting cash and touring the world. Even Hil is talking issues while he's been distracted. I understand ur point, but it goes back to who and what makes news. This is news and he should have recognized that, even if its not a "real issue".

Warhorse.....allowing things like this to bite u in the ass, show that again he's just not ready.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
This is a major issue bro...major...u might not like it and find it distasteful..but its a major issue. He could have killed it months ago. Obama did not want to give that speech. I believe a well crafted news release and maybe a short interview would have done the job for him last year. He's dealing with this while Mccain is out collecting cash and touring the world. Even Hil is talking issues while he's been distracted. I understand ur point, but it goes back to who and what makes news. This is news and he should have recognized that, even if its not a "real issue".

Warhorse.....allowing things like this to bite u in the ass, show that again he's just not ready.

Dont worry.  Mccain will prolly win anyway.   We are no longer a democratic republic anyway...who knows what else fits into the "Patriot act" :-\

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 09:05:37 AM »
Mccain will win without a fight if the Dems can't figure out what they're doing.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
Obama is way too inexperienced to be President. He's just not qualified to hold the job. So, how has he tried to get around that? By claiming he has great judgment. But, if he has such great judgment, how did he end up in this whole mess with Wright? It's not as if there aren't lots of other churches in Illinois. It's not as if he couldn't have left the church for another when he got into the Senate, right? Pretty much every politician not named Larry Craig or Eliot Spitzer could have seen a disaster like this coming years away. So, how is it that a man selling himself based on his judgment thought he could get away with being joined at the hip to a guy like Jeremiah Wright? Simple: his judgment isn't all that great.

pasted from another article.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
Mccain will win without a fight if the Dems can't figure out what they're doing.

Im sure theres small print in the "Patriot act"  that will allow him to win.   But it wont be by the people, thats for sure...

The Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
but claims that there should be zero investigation .

Dammit Rob, your inaccuracies (lies) are getting monotonous.......find a post where I said that........don't ask anything until you find a post where I said that.

Again, like the lib media, you post one line of something and think it's the complete story.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

what is the "issue" again?

I've already forgotten

seriously - you say it's MAJOR but I don't even know what it is.

Is it the comments by his pastor somehow staining Obama or is Obama's response, or his lack of response over a year ago (when the majority of the public didn't even know much about Obama, much less Wright).

What is it that puts this at the top of the pile of ALL other issues for you?