Author Topic: Olympia 2nd placers - Who should have won the Sandow?  (Read 8145 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Olympia 2nd placers - Who should have won the Sandow?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
Robby had an outsatanding gym body....but for each Olympia in which he stood aslongside Zane...he was off, and Zane was razor sharp. RR never deserved the O.
agree!
I do think Mentzer should have won in 1980 over Arnold and the rest of that field and Platz in 1981 over the 1 legged Franco.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
VICTOR!
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
VICTOR!

Way to contribute to the thread!

::)

aussiepro

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 12:35:49 AM »
metzner should not have won in 1980, no way in the world
there's no magic pills... just needles

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »
Shawn Ray in 1994
Nasser in 1996 or 97
Flex Wheeler in 1998

should all have won.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 12:44:03 AM »
metzner should not have won in 1980, no way in the world

Agreed.
Arnie didn't look his best, but still better than Mentzer. After the result we just had in 2007, it amazes me people even care about the 1980 Mr.O
No doubt about it...

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 02:51:20 AM »
Labrada by far. An unbelievable physique. Otherwise, it's just controversies: Shawn Ray should have won '94 IMHO, it would have been a good change, the judges would have made a point there in terms aesthetic. Flex was fantastic in 93' but Dorian was just too much that year and by 98' Flex to me had lost everything that made him special. '97 will be debated over and over again, I think Nasser should have won but it wasn't as scandalous as 1980, 81 and last year.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24:21 AM »

I cannot find flaws...can u ?

...my former trainer Ron Love who beat Labrada in a couple of shows said he was a bit narrow and small.....I think he's perfect....

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 03:57:31 AM »
Of course comparing to today's standards, Labrada was "narrow" considering that you have guys with 55 inches chests that are only 2/3 inches taller than Labrada. Labrada is 5'6 so yes, he's small but still better than Lee Priest, Momo Benaziza or Franco. Labrada was all about balance. Judges (and fans probably also) chose the "spectacular" path.

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:07 AM »
Nasser in 1997 remians the most disgusting and corrupt event ever in the history of the sport. That is followed by the hypocritical treatment he got in 1996.

That tattooed creature with its huge gut and racist tattoos did not deserve to beat Nasser. Nasser was the most 'shafted' (that word make sense? ) bodybuilder of all time.

I still get angry for him that he sacrificed a career as a doctor or lawyer only to enter a sport where the best body does not win and a revolting convict is simply given his title

Moosejay

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 04:25:30 AM »
Turn your anger into construction, friend

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 04:32:06 AM »
How many hours a day does this guy spend thinking and re-thinking about that 97' Olympia? Get a life.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »
Nasser in 1997 remians the most disgusting and corrupt event ever in the history of the sport. That is followed by the hypocritical treatment he got in 1996.

That tattooed creature with its huge gut and racist tattoos did not deserve to beat Nasser. Nasser was the most 'shafted' (that word make sense? ) bodybuilder of all time.

I still get angry for him that he sacrificed a career as a doctor or lawyer only to enter a sport where the best body does not win and a revolting convict is simply given his title
IMO Dorian MrO 93 was the best ever,Im not a nut hugger of Dorian i think he was a shadow of his former self after 93 to many tears one arm bicep looked terrible,I give it to Nasser in 97 though it was close he outclassed Dorian from the front and gave him a run for his money in the side poses but the Back was very close.Dorian should have 3 Sandows not 6.
I tend to agree with you the fact Dorian was white played a factor.But quit calling him a convict he was young and unwise, i was in the same situation when i was younger you grow out of it.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 04:36:02 AM »

I cannot find flaws...can u ?

...my former trainer Ron Love who beat Labrada in a couple of shows said he was a bit narrow and small.....I think he's perfect....

ron love beat labrada once at the 1987 Pro World.

Labrada should have won in 89 and 90...no way around it. 

nasser=piece of shit

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 04:39:22 AM »
Yates was a winner 1993 fair enough. by 1997 his physique was not recosnisable from that and he looked like a disgusting piece of shit. his stomach was pregnant, he was all torn and had no arms. it was a dsiagrace that he won simply becuase he was white and once looked good. IT WAS A FUCKING DISGRACE to give him Nasser's Sandow.

and he was a convict and served time for racial violence and burglary. this is the truth. he even removed some of his worst tattoos.

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 04:46:33 AM »
Greg Valentino should have gotten one...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 04:49:07 AM »
ron love beat labrada once at the 1987 Pro World.

Labrada should have won in 89 and 90...no way around it. 

correct..he said once my bad...he also said he should have one the second time but they thought Labrada was more marketable....

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 04:52:39 AM »
Yates was a winner 1993 fair enough. by 1997 his physique was not recosnisable from that and he looked like a disgusting piece of shit. his stomach was pregnant, he was all torn and had no arms. it was a dsiagrace that he won simply becuase he was white and once looked good. IT WAS A FUCKING DISGRACE to give him Nasser's Sandow.

and he was a convict and served time for racial violence and burglary. this is the truth. he even removed some of his worst tattoos.

I Feel Levrone was screwed the most i give Nasser the O in 97 but in no other MrO.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 05:00:19 AM »
correct..he said once my bad...he also said he should have one the second time but they thought Labrada was more marketable....

sorry.  ron was a big guy but he only brought it bigtime at the above mentioned Pro World, at the olympia later that year he was off and Labrada was on, I think Ron ended up in 9th or something like that, Labrada was 3rd.  88, Labrada slipped to 4th but only cause Demay looked insane, I don't even remember where Love was and I'm pretty good with this stuff....maybe 9th?  Ron was big and well balanced, his legs werent' "great" and in the big shows he kinda got lost in the shuffle.  I DO think he was under-rated and probably should have done better at alot of shows but he just kinda faded into the background.

I think it was in 89 where Labrada went on the spring euro grand prix and beat up on everyone, love was there and I think he was top 5 most of the time...he got into a big fight with Phil Hill...oh, well.  He lives local to me and he pops up on the news every now and then.
nasser=piece of shit

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 05:12:54 AM »
Haney outweighed Labrada by 50+ pounds except for the Drugtested MrO in 90, Many of those who i have spoke to said Haney was small and Labrada should have won.I have never seen any footage of the contest so i do not have an opinion.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »
Haney outweighed Labrada by 50+ pounds except for the Drugtested MrO in 90, Many of those who i have spoke to said Haney was small and Labrada should have won.I have never seen any footage of the contest so i do not have an opinion.

it was actually on ESPN :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

the only guys who were really on were Labrada, Christian and Benfatto....maybe frank hillebrand.  Shawn Ray looked really, really good as well.  haney should have been 4th at best.
nasser=piece of shit

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 05:22:48 AM »
I think Benfatto was about 175 pounds on stage or something like that. That's what I heard. He looked fantastic but clearly the judges wouldn't place him top 5. Labrada should have won 89 and 90, there's no question about that. He just had the ideal physique to me. About Levrone not winning one, I think he was pretty much very unlucky as every time he showed up in great shape, there' was fierce comptetition. '92 because Yates was unstoppable, '95 was still Yates best "late" performance. And in 2000, the "Colemania" was still strong. Hi splacing in 2002 was pretty much a gift. Had he been at his best in 96 or 97, he would have won one.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »
I think Levrone was unlucky not to win in 92 - Yates was far from unstoppable that year - he had yet to put on the unstoppable size but his conditioning was nailed which got him the victory. Considering Levrone had only recently won his pro card I though he did remarkably well and I don't think anyone would have complained if he'd won the title that year. I think Yates's overall size had him beat - by 93 it was all over - Levrone could kiss goodbye of ever beating Yates.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 05:37:35 AM »
I think Benfatto was about 175 pounds on stage or something like that. That's what I heard. He looked fantastic but clearly the judges wouldn't place him top 5. Labrada should have won 89 and 90, there's no question about that. He just had the ideal physique to me. About Levrone not winning one, I think he was pretty much very unlucky as every time he showed up in great shape, there' was fierce comptetition. '92 because Yates was unstoppable, '95 was still Yates best "late" performance. And in 2000, the "Colemania" was still strong. Hi splacing in 2002 was pretty much a gift. Had he been at his best in 96 or 97, he would have won one.

benfatto from the front upper body alone was one of the best showings I've ever seen at least up until that point.  He was shredded and his proportions were incredible.  His legs were weak but if you would have seen a shot of him from the front waist up you probably would have picked him to win the show...
nasser=piece of shit

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 05:40:10 AM »
I think Levrone was unlucky not to win in 92 - Yates was far from unstoppable that year - he had yet to put on the unstoppable size but his conditioning was nailed which got him the victory. Considering Levrone had only recently won his pro card I though he did remarkably well and I don't think anyone would have complained if he'd won the title that year. I think Yates's overall size had him beat - by 93 it was all over - Levrone could kiss goodbye of ever beating Yates.

In '92, Yates still had more size to him than Levrone and as you said his conditioning did the rest. Maybe the '93 Yates was even more impressive but his '92 overall package was still ahead of the pack. And injuries haden't taken their toll on him yet.