Author Topic: Strongman Training  (Read 1857 times)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
Strongman Training
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:09:24 AM »
I really want to get into Strongman Competitions, but don't know much about the technique involved. I've read a few things here and there on the Internet but was wondering if you guys could recommend, perhaps, a good book to read and / or a DVD to watch ? I'm also trying to get some equipment ... which is a real bitch due to my budget constraints. Oh, well.  :-\ At any rate, I thank you guys for your time. Peace !

Btw, any tips / suggestions / thoughts / etc. would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you again.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Strongman Training
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:21:36 PM »
Glad to hear it! Strongman is all about functional strength and stamina. That being said, it is more complex than other lifting.

As far as training DVD's for Strongman, I have never seen one that lays it out clearly for you. There really is no clear way about it. There are great powerlifting protocols and olmypic protocols but you have to combine these with implement training to optimize your gains in Strongman.

First you will want to build a good base in powerlifting. Powerlifting and Olympic lifts will be your gym work. Implements are trained separately and only after enough rest from the gym.

Main movements in Strongman training include:
-Cleans
-Overhead Pressing (all variations)
-Front (Oly) Squats
-Deadlifts (these are the base of any implement training)
-Zurchers (of all sorts)
-Heavy Rows

These are the lifts you revolve your lifting around. Keep in mind that you will need accessory exercises and they all depend on what you are working and what you need the most help with (sticking points, weak triceps, low back issues....).

I and many other strongmen use a 3 day split that either follows as upper/lower/events; max upper-speed lower/speed upper-max lower/events; or a modified 5x5 program integrated with events. Typically a mon/wed/sat schedule. But like I said, get your powerlifting in line before doing a full out Strongman program as it is very taxing and is easy to overtrain. GPP (general physical preparedness) is a must! Get used to doing recovery work by carrying heavy objects around for cardio. Flipping tires and pulling sleds are great ways of increasing GPP.

Let me stop there so I dont create a ridiculously long post that you will never read.

If you want to know where to get implements or how to make your own, PM me.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
some great videos to get some education on strongman are Svend Karlsen, Magnus Samuelsson and Hugo Girard's videos, i think Ironmind.com carries all of them.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
some great videos to get some education on strongman are Svend Karlsen, Magnus Samuelsson and Hugo Girard's videos, i think Ironmind.com carries all of them.

Vids are good to watch for technique. First time doing stones I had never touched one but watched about 100 videos of others doing it and I loaded them all! Those vids are expensive but I have seen Karlsen, Magnus, and Mariusz full length vids online. You just gotta search for them.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:40:33 PM »
LOTS OF HELP ! Thanks Lift4Size and Squad ( I can't believe I'm saying this :D ) ! The help is greatly appreciated and I will certainly take you up on your offer, Lift4Size, as I need all the help I can get ! Thank you.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »
Not a problem.