Author Topic: Has anyone tried HMB. Is it worth me trying it?  (Read 3085 times)

Determinator

• Getbig IV
Has anyone tried HMB. Is it worth me trying it?
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:40:52 AM »
Has anyone seriously given HMB a go? I was considering purchasing Primaforces' HMB with 180 1g capsules at a very resonable price. Is it worth it?
If so, do you just take 3g on training days only?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
Re: Has anyone tried HMB. Is it worth me trying it?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
Has anyone seriously given HMB a go? I was considering purchasing Primaforces' HMB with 180 1g capsules at a very resonable price. Is it worth it?
If so, do you just take 3g on training days only?

No, if you are going to use it, 3 g. daily, everyday

Never really proven to do much but if you are dieting might be ok to prevent muscle loss. Don't expect much  :-\

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »
also try to split the 3 gram doses up        3 1000mg doses a day

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
Not directly. The one time I tried it, it was back in 1996.

However, it was MET-Rx with HMB, which, at that time, costs $75 per 20-serving box.

I can't say that anything special happened. But, as I said before, the bodybuilders, who swore up and down about how wonderful MET-Rx (regular or with HMB), were ones amateurs and pros who were consuming 8-10 servings per day.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
hmb is a leucine metabolite, correct?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

I believe it is.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 05:37:18 AM »
from what ive heard its bullshit
Z

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »
I used to take Betagen, and each serving of which you take 3 times a day had a gram of HMB. 

Betagen was some good shit as i recall....  just a pain taking it 3 times a day

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 06:21:49 AM »

well yeah?>...    isn't that what google told you when you searched "HMB"? ;D

unlimitedmuscle

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »
its been shown in studies to be effective the first 3 months of training for beginners.  after 6 months of training and supplementation its recommended generally to either seriously up the dose, which becomes highly non-cost effective. you can spoend your money much more efficiently and effectively on other products.  or to switch to leucine directly.  which has been shown to be pretty anabolic.  hmb I believe has a better reputation of being just anti-catabolic.  while leucine is actually switches the body into a anabolic state.  its the main ingredient in things like anator p70 and leukic.  (just an example... not promoting muscletech products necessarily).

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »
complete garbage
!

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
Not directly. The one time I tried it, it was back in 1996.

However, it was MET-Rx with HMB, which, at that time, costs $75 per 20-serving box.

I can't say that anything special happened. But, as I said before, the bodybuilders, who swore up and down about how wonderful MET-Rx (regular or with HMB), were ones amateurs and pros who were consuming 8-10 servings per day.

I really got some good results from the MetRx w/HMB way back when.  I remember seeing no benefit from the capsules whatsoever.  Definatley leaned out when I used it.  MetRx products just aint the same these days though.   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
I really got some good results from the MetRx w/HMB way back when.  I remember seeing no benefit from the capsules whatsoever.  Definatley leaned out when I used it.  MetRx products just aint the same these days though.   

How many servings did you use per day? Again, when I read further about the bodybuilders raving about thte stuff, I found out that they were drinking that stuff the way kids guzzle Kool-Aid.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »
How many servings did you use per day? Again, when I read further about the bodybuilders raving about thte stuff, I found out that they were drinking that stuff the way kids guzzle Kool-Aid.

I took 2 servings per day

I actually knew guys that would drink 3 or 4 Met-Rx w/HMBs per day and add Desinger Protein to the shakes.  It would give over 70 grams of protein per serving. 

I never went that far with it because it was expensive, as you mentioned, and I was scared to take that much Calcium.  I know that sounds silly but that stuff had a ton of calcium per serving.  I remember working it out and 4 servings would have given about 6 times the RDA.  To do that day in and day out was just too much.

The BetaGen and the capsule seemed to be useless though. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »
I took 2 servings per day

I actually knew guys that would drink 3 or 4 Met-Rx w/HMBs per day and add Desinger Protein to the shakes.  It would give over 70 grams of protein per serving. 

I never went that far with it because it was expensive, as you mentioned, and I was scared to take that much Calcium.  I know that sounds silly but that stuff had a ton of calcium per serving.  I remember working it out and 4 servings would have given about 6 times the RDA.  To do that day in and day out was just too much.

The BetaGen and the capsule seemed to be useless though. 
You were worried about being over the RDA? You've got to be kidding.
!

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »
You were worried about being over the RDA? You've got to be kidding.

Ya I know, I know, I know, sounds silly.  Understand this though.  Calcium is not like taking a water soluable B Vitamin where you can consume 10,000 times the RDA and you will just excrete out what your body can't use. 

Your body cannot necessarily assimilate calcium like that and it can build up in you kidneys.  I have had the unforunate experience of dealing with kidney stones.  Let me tell you my friend, its not fun.  Regarless of what the RDA is consuming that much every day just didn't seem like a good idea to me.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »
i used hmb many years ago with creatine when it was popular. like was mentioned, it worked for me because i was just starting to get into lifting, but then i leveled off. it's ok if you are just beginning, but i had to really increase my protein intake to see results with it.  :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »
METRX made great pudding a little water and mixed right up add banana and eat.i uded 2/3 times per day and it helped a bit maintaining lean mass when dieting.wish they didn't sell out,was pretty expensive original formulas.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »
i used hmb many years ago with creatine when it was popular. like was mentioned, it worked for me because i was just starting to get into lifting, but then i leveled off. it's ok if you are just beginning, but i had to really increase my protein intake to see results with it.  :)
really? thats interesting. i would think that you could get away with less protei than normal with hmb. considering that leucine is a very strong stimulant of protein synthesis...  you should be able to grow on much less amino acids...

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
well, i did grow, but the knuckeheads who i bought the hmb from told me it would work better for me if i upped the protein intake. i was young and naive at the time!  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »
hmb is good stuff when used in conjunction with a good diet and program just like everything else.. problem is getting quality shit. I used it once before and was pretty bummed about the results I saw from it. I didnt' think much of it again until I got RESULTS from atlarge nutrition... I've heard alot of guys at westside barbell club talking about it and a few others not only on this board but at my gym as well that I hang with and they're all saying they love it! It's not only a solid creatine supplement but has QUALITY hmb in it! Some people say yes to it..some people say it's a waste...all i know is that this shit is working and working for ALOT of people! If you're curious about trying an HMB product without spending alot of money but with a solid enough following to be worth taking the risk... I'd say give RESULTS a shot. I've only been on it 3 weeks now and love this shit. I'll take it until its' no longer being made.

Worst case scenario you try it and you don't get anything out of it..in the scheme of things it's better to find out then risk missing out all together. IMHO it's a risk worth taking though.. because I've yet to talk to anyone who's taking this stuff that ISN'T liking it...the combo of creatine, hmb, and beta alanine are producing GREAT results! Why else do you think the name fits so well!?!

wanna hear from a pro on here that's taking it? Big Mike Wolfe the professional powerlifter is on it too and loves it! Just pm him if you think i'm bullshitting. Just like everything else in supplements..sometimes you hit a homerun and sometimes it's just advertising. For once it wasn't the advertising that got me to spend my money..it's the talk i keep hearing about this product that got me on it and I can now see why people love it so much.

check it out...
http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=23

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
hmb is good stuff when used in conjunction with a good diet and program just like everything else.. problem is getting quality shit. I used it once before and was pretty bummed about the results I saw from it. I didnt' think much of it again until I got RESULTS from atlarge nutrition... I've heard alot of guys at westside barbell club talking about it and a few others not only on this board but at my gym as well that I hang with and they're all saying they love it! It's not only a solid creatine supplement but has QUALITY hmb in it! Some people say yes to it..some people say it's a waste...all i know is that this shit is working and working for ALOT of people! If you're curious about trying an HMB product without spending alot of money but with a solid enough following to be worth taking the risk... I'd say give RESULTS a shot. I've only been on it 3 weeks now and love this shit. I'll take it until its' no longer being made.

Worst case scenario you try it and you don't get anything out of it..in the scheme of things it's better to find out then risk missing out all together. IMHO it's a risk worth taking though.. because I've yet to talk to anyone who's taking this stuff that ISN'T liking it...the combo of creatine, hmb, and beta alanine are producing GREAT results! Why else do you think the name fits so well!?!

wanna hear from a pro on here that's taking it? Big Mike Wolfe the professional powerlifter is on it too and loves it! Just pm him if you think i'm bullshitting. Just like everything else in supplements..sometimes you hit a homerun and sometimes it's just advertising. For once it wasn't the advertising that got me to spend my money..it's the talk i keep hearing about this product that got me on it and I can now see why people love it so much.

check it out...
http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=23

it looks good except for the carb/hmb/beta alanine/creatine ratio(80grams carb, 5 g creatine, 3.5 g beta alanine, 3 g hmb)  ..... and also, i would prefer it if they used waxy maize for teh carb instead of dextrose.. 

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 05:19:53 AM »
complete garbage

"feels like Deca"

Anyone here old enough to recall who said that? ;D

AVBG

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 06:07:01 AM »
it stacks nicely with gamma-oryzanol! ;D

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »
"feels like Deca"

Anyone here old enough to recall who said that? ;D

Wasn't that Bill Phillips or someone in that crew?  ???