Author Topic: McCain: 'I just simply misspoke'  (Read 910 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
McCain: 'I just simply misspoke'
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
JERUSALEM - Senator John McCain’s trip overseas was supposed to highlight his foreign policy acumen, and his supporters hoped that it would showcase him in a series of statesmanlike meetings with world leaders throughout the Middle East and Europe while the Democratic candidates continued to squabble back home.

But all did not go according to plan on Tuesday in Amman, Jordan, when Mr. McCain, fresh from a visit to Iraq, misidentified some of the main players in the Iraq war.

Mr. McCain said several times in his visit to Jordan — in a news conference and in a radio interview — that he was concerned that Iran was training Al Qaeda in Iraq. The United States believes that Iran, a Shiite country, has been training and financing Shiite extremists in Iraq, but not Al Qaeda, which is a Sunni insurgent group.

Claim, correction
Mr. McCain said at a news conference in Amman that he continued to be concerned about Iranians “taking Al Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back.” Asked about that statement, Mr. McCain said: “Well, it’s common knowledge and has been reported in the media that Al Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran. That’s well known. And it’s unfortunate.”

It was not until he got a quiet word of correction in his ear from Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, who was traveling with Mr. McCain as part of a Congressional delegation on a nearly weeklong trip, that Mr. McCain corrected himself.

“I’m sorry,” Mr. McCain said, “the Iranians are training extremists, not Al Qaeda.”

Democrats pounce
Mr. McCain has based his campaign in large part on his assertion that he is the candidate best prepared to deal with Iraq, and the Democrats wasted little time in jumping on his misstatement to question his knowledge and judgment.

“After eight years of the Bush administration’s incompetence in Iraq, McCain’s comments don’t give the American people a reason to believe that he can be trusted to offer a clear way forward,” Karen Finney, a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee, said in a statement. “Not only is Senator McCain wrong on Iraq once again, but he showed he either doesn’t understand the challenges facing Iraq and the region or is willing to ignore the facts on the ground.”

Brian Rogers, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, responded: “In a press conference today, John McCain misspoke and immediately corrected himself by stating that Iran is in fact supporting radical Islamic extremists in Iraq, not Al Qaeda — as is reflected in the transcript. The reality is that the American people have deep concerns about the Democratic candidates’ judgment and readiness on matters of national security, and that’s why the D.N.C. launched their attack today.”

The Democrats noted that Mr. McCain, Republican of Arizona, had made similar comments about Iran training Al Qaeda in an interview with “The Hugh Hewitt Show,” a radio program he called from Amman. “As you know, there are Al Qaeda operatives that are taken back into Iran, given training as leaders, and they’re moving back into Iraq,” Mr. McCain said, according to a transcript posted on the show’s Web site.

Previous missteps
It was not the first time that Mr. McCain’s remarks during a Congressional trip overseas have caused headaches for his campaign. It was nearly a year ago that his talk about the improving security situation in Iraq made headlines, after a trip he made to a marketplace there was guarded by more than 100 soldiers in armored Humvees and attack helicopters, becoming fodder for Democrats and critics of the war.

Mr. McCain later said he misspoke. And in a speech he gave last April about the need to succeed in Iraq, he made light of it. “I just returned from my fifth visit to Iraq,” he said. “Unlike the veterans here today, I risked nothing more threatening than a hostile press corps.”

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: McCain: 'I just simply misspoke'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »
I dont think he can hold up under the stress of continuing, much less presidency.  Most of us couldnt do this stuff 24/7 for years.  Youd have to be mental.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »
I dont think he can hold up under the stress of continuing, much less presidency.  Most of us couldnt do this stuff 24/7 for years.  Youd have to be mental.

Do what? Spend free money and have orgies?

That pretty much sums up American politics.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »
Brit Hume summed it up to a simple "senior moment" Does that make anybody more comfortable with McCain as president?  Yea, that's not good...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
Brit Hume summed it up to a simple "senior moment" Does that make anybody more comfortable with McCain as president?  Yea, that's not good...

LOL holy crap, did brit hume say that????

there are hundreds of people who would make a good president.  I'd prefer we choose one that doesn't have five 'senior moments' in 3 days about something as serious as going to war.

wow, did hume say that?  clip?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »
LOL holy crap, did brit hume say that????

there are hundreds of people who would make a good president.  I'd prefer we choose one that doesn't have five 'senior moments' in 3 days about something as serious as going to war.

wow, did hume say that?  clip?

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/23/foxnews-sunday-brit-hume-dismisses-mccains-iranal-qaeda-confusion-as-a-senior-moment/

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
I don't know if going into Iran would be a wise move.  We need permanent bases in the Persian Gulf region to ensure our oil supplies as we pass peak oil and move into scarcity, but we've accomplished that with Iraq.  Iran has been agitating along with Venezuela to get OPEC to switch oil sales from being transacted in USD to Euros (it was rumored Saddam was trying to do the same), which would be a disaster for us, and I believe is the real impetus behind the Iran push.  However, I have to wonder if the cost of invading and holding Iran would be just as bad economically in the long run.  What are we going to do, occupy all of OPEC?

The whole "al queda" bullshit is just the cover story for the great unwashed.  "WMD" part 2.
Ron: "I am lazy."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
I don't know if going into Iran would be a wise move.  We need permanent bases in the Persian Gulf region to ensure our oil supplies as we pass peak oil and move into scarcity, but we've accomplished that with Iraq.  Iran has been agitating along with Venezuela to get OPEC to switch oil sales from being transacted in USD to Euros (it was rumored Saddam was trying to do the same), which would be a disaster for us, and I believe is the real impetus behind the Iran push.  However, I have to wonder if the cost of invading and holding Iran would be just as bad economically in the long run.  What are we going to do, occupy all of OPEC?

The whole "al queda" bullshit is just the cover story for the great unwashed.  "WMD" part 2.

That's exactly what Hussein did, switched over to Euros. And as for the speculation that it might be "just as bad"... let me quickly disabuse you of that illusion. It wouldn't go as bad, ...it would go at least 10x's worse.
w

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »
That's exactly what Hussein did, switched over to Euros. And as for the speculation that it might be "just as bad"... let me quickly disabuse you of that illusion. It wouldn't go as bad, ...it would go at least 10x's worse.

I don't think you understand the effects that would result from a wholesale dumping of the dollar that would follow an OPEC switch-over.
Ron: "I am lazy."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:24:55 PM »

I don't think you understand the effects that would result from a wholesale dumping of the dollar that would follow an OPEC switch-over.

Au contraire... I do. That's why it's imperative you have a President in place who will not continue down this road of folly that is weakening your economy, and destroying your dollar even more. Hussein could have priced his oil in Euros, it wouldn't have had the impact that a crappy dollar does. There was an embargo in place remember? Now, by destroying the economy, and sinking the dollar even further, everyone if affected. Gisele Bundchen starts demanding her pay in Euros, and countries and people all over the world are dropping the USD like a hot potato. This hasn't resulted from Hussein sellng oil in Euros, it came about as a result of Bush's assinine policies that are giving the US dollar the buoyancy of a lead balloon.
w