Author Topic: Tom Platz' leg routine  (Read 27997 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Tom Platz' leg routine
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
So you took my post as a recommendation?  Good interpretation.  I was simply pointing out that the guy that said Platz only did 2 sets of an exercise was incorrect or maybe even more accurate would be that maybe after 1981 he changed his entire training strategy.
i said that when Platz DID SETS OF 25,30 OR 40 THAT HE DID ONLY 2 SETS, and i stand by that, i believe that if he was doing normal sets of 8-10 then he would do a higher of sets.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
how many of you go slowly on the descend?

I think i need to slow my speed down

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
I watched him train all summer in 1981 and he ALWAYS did 4 or more sets (sometimes many more) per exercise.

I believe you.  I can only go by what he told me, maybe he was referring to later in his career.  I do know what you guys are talking about in reference to intensity though.  I would always show up wayyy early to our sessions together so I could go into the back room and watch the his old training videos.   You would honestly think that he was in a blinding rage with the weights somehow.  He literally attacked them, I mean the whole apparatus or whatever he was using would shake.  When he couldn't do anymore, he would just vibrate at the top or the bottom of the rep doing tiny tiny contractions, getting anything that he could out of it.  I really can't begin to describe to those that haven't seen it, it looked like actual insanity. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
  I believe you.  I can only go by what he told me, maybe he was referring to later in his career.  I do know what you guys are talking about in reference to intensity though.  I would always show up wayyy early to our sessions together so I could go into the back room and watch the his old training videos.   You would honestly think that he was in a blinding rage with the weights somehow.  He literally attacked them, I mean the whole apparatus or whatever he was using would shake.  When he couldn't do anymore, he would just vibrate at the top or the bottom of the rep doing tiny tiny contractions, getting anything that he could out of it.  I really can't begin to describe to those that haven't seen it, it looked like actual insanity. 

Yes you’re absolutely 100% dead on. That about describes it yet, it’s absolutely impossible to describe it in writing and do it any kind of justice for anyone reading. Platz training just had to be seen to be appreciated. Everyone in the gym, even top competitors would raise the bar on their own intensity when Tom was around. How could anyone with any amount of self-respect punk out when Tom was absolutely torturing himself a few feet away.

I’d love to get my hands on that footage. I have video of him training with Leo Costa and it pales in comparison to what I saw him do in person. He was hungry and he NEEDED that Olympia title. It was also before he got injured. The only place it’s recorded is in my memory and I’m a feeble old man. Ha!   
and keep moving!

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »
Yes I remember sorry.  He was introduced to me by Rose and Dan Keller.  did you know them.  Very beautiful red head with huge boobs.  He Bodybuilded but not sure if he competed.  It was fun back then.

No, I did not know Rose and Dan Keller. And I do not believe Ron ever competed, but he did look pretty good especially for his age.

Are you living in Vegas now? Next time I am out we have to get together and talk about the good old days, like Cassidy's in MB, etc....

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »
No, I did not know Rose and Dan Keller. And I do not believe Ron ever competed, but he did look pretty good especially for his age.

Are you living in Vegas now? Next time I am out we have to get together and talk about the good old days, like Cassidy's in MB, etc....

Oh yeah Cassidy's pub in Manhattan Beach... Not to far from Tequilla Willies and Sousolito South. Keith and I have bragging rights on those places... and Annabelles in Redondo Beach!
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2008, 01:32:14 AM »

yes. 

Oh yeah Cassidy's pub in Manhattan Beach... Not to far from Tequilla Willies and Sousolito South. Keith and I have bragging rights on those places... and Annabelles in Redondo Beach!

yes we do.  those were awesome time there

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2008, 04:39:57 AM »
Tom Platz.
He was at his best nearly a qauter of a century ago he finished 3 in the 1981 MR.O,but no one since has matched Tom Platz?s combination of conscious-altering size and cross-striated definition.He was legendary for his workout intensity.He reports that while weighing less then 230 pounds, he squatted eight reps with 635 pounds and 52 reps with 350 pounds.On numerous occasions, he squatted for 10 minutes straight for more than 100 reps with 225 pounds.This might seem like hyperbole, if not the fact that platz is seen in a video shot in 1992 sqautting 495 pounds for 23 reps with his thighs going below parallel.

Does anyone know how long he used to rest between sets?

CD

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »

I use to bounce there many years ago... I kind-of remember Keith. And lets not forget the Red Onion in Redondo...

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
I use to bounce there many years ago... I kind-of remember Keith. And lets not forget the Red Onion in Redondo...

Red onion was also cool. You bounced at Cassidy's? Mmmmm now I'm wondering if I know you too.
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »

CD

I don't really remember but I can tell you it was a lot less than most guys do today.
and keep moving!

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:17 PM »
Red onion was also cool. You bounced at Cassidy's? Mmmmm now I'm wondering if I know you too.

You probable do although that was a long time ago. I spent many Friday's and Saturday's there. I think I remember Keith but then he always left an impression. That was a hot club in its day. I remember they used to line up down the street to get in...

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

CD

Platz rested a few minutes for his very heavy sets but only about two when he was doing high reps low sets.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »

Holy macrel you bounced there.  I went there alot .  I always had the DJ play slow songs cause I only danced slow and the other people get mad.  One time I had a bet with my friends I could get this girl to give me her underwear while we danced.  it was $50.  I told her about the bet while we were dancing and told her I would give her $25 of it if she gave them to me.  She stopped in the middle of the dance and took them off under her dress.  it was great.  I also got banned from there for a little while cause I did not know but I hit the owner.  Some kind of scuffle going on at the front and he was a smart ass and said something to me r my friend and he was at the top of the stairs a few steps above me and I punched at him and barely hit him and he said I was outta there.  That place was pretty fun.  Most of the bouncers in all the clubs let us (the Tequilla Willies bouncers) in there clubs no problem and no waiting.  We did the same at our club.  Man those were the days. 

Remember Lococos just down from you.  Man I got in a mean brawl there.  How about Annabelles, now there was the place.  Guys I love talking about this shit.  And yes Red Onion was fun to.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
anyone have youtube clips of platz training?

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »
Holy macrel you bounced there.  I went there alot .  I always had the DJ play slow songs cause I only danced slow and the other people get mad.  One time I had a bet with my friends I could get this girl to give me her underwear while we danced.  it was $50.  I told her about the bet while we were dancing and told her I would give her $25 of it if she gave them to me.  She stopped in the middle of the dance and took them off under her dress.  it was great.  I also got banned from there for a little while cause I did not know but I hit the owner.  Some kind of scuffle going on at the front and he was a smart ass and said something to me r my friend and he was at the top of the stairs a few steps above me and I punched at him and barely hit him and he said I was outta there.  That place was pretty fun.  Most of the bouncers in all the clubs let us (the Tequilla Willies bouncers) in there clubs no problem and no waiting.  We did the same at our club.  Man those were the days. 

Remember Lococos just down from you.  Man I got in a mean brawl there.  How about Annabelles, now there was the place.  Guys I love talking about this shit.  And yes Red Onion was fun to.

Yea the scuffles always happened at the top of the stairs. That was a good feature. The owner, Lloyd, was a real red neck type. Great guy, tuff and a smart ass.. If he didn't like the looks of someone in the club he would have me ask the person if they wanted a drink. When they said no, I would say can I speak to you by the door. Once by the door it was good night, bye.. Many times someone would go after you at the door but because of the stairs it didn't take much for them be be going down on their ass. I had some real fun times at Cassidy's.. Especially at closing. All the women who didn't hook up during the evening would be giving me there phone number or waiting by my car when I left.

It was a blast. Hey, I forgot about Annabelles. That was a great place too... You know, either I am just to old or the South Bay does not have clubs like those were. Oh and Beach Bums Berts also....

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
anyone have youtube clips of platz training?

Sorry Rob, your tread got highjacked by us reminiscing...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2008, 07:55:30 AM »
Sorry Rob, your tread got highjacked by use reminiscing...

alzheimers is a bitch.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
here you go Rob.