Author Topic: The Empty Tomb  (Read 20531 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: The Empty Tomb
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:10 AM »
I'll keep this short...

loco,

Those references WERE good evidence of the historicity of Jesus... that is, until advances in infra-red wavelength laser imaging allowed the pigments of the texts to be analyzed and dated based on the degradation rates of the constituents.

Infra-red wavelength laser imaging to prove Josephus' mention of Jesus a forgery?  Luke, when you make a claim such as this one, please kindly post some references to back your claim along with links or book title, author and page number so that your reference can be verified.  Otherwise, there is nothing keeping the reader from simply concluding that you are making this up as you go or that you are simply regurgitating conspiracy theories that you heard or read elsewhere.  Thank you!

All the explicit historical references (Josephus for example) have been PROVEN to be forgeries by this method.

All we have left are vague SECOND century references, and even some of those are forgeries. The only historians still stubbornly sticking to the historicity of Jesus are themselves true believer Christians.

Again, making claims with nothing to back it up.  Your claim is false Luke.  I just showed you in my post above on "Alice Whealey's 2003 survey of the historiography" that this is an ongoing debate among scholars, both secular and otherwise, and the debate is far from settled.  And according to Alice Whealey "the majority of modern scholars consider that Josephus really did write something here about Jesus."

You have to remember that the early church engaged in a centuries long campaign of deliberate rewriting history and burned most of the conflicting documents. The official version of church history is a self-serving lie; the conversion of the Emperor Constantine (he was NEVER a Christian), hundreds of visions and miracles, the lives of the apostles... all lies.

False.  The early church did not engage in any such campaign.  They were too busy running and hiding from those who wanted to kill them, while doing the best they could to spread the Gospel.  They could not have possibly tampered with the historian Josephus' works.  Though Josephus was a Jewish priest, he worked for the Romans and wrote for the Romans in Greek and not for the Jews in Hebrew.  You can't tell me that the same Christians who were running for their life from the Romans and the Jewish leaders secretly slipped into the Roman Imperial Library and secretly added Jesus Christ references to Josephus' works.  That's silly.

Is it possible that there were some copyists working for the Romans who were secretly Christians in those days, yes it is possible.  But if they were true Christians then they were not engaged in such lies, fraud and forgeries.  Not only does that go against Jesus' teachings, but according to "Pliny the Younger Letter to Trajan (c.111-117 C.E.)" early Christians did not engage in such deception.

Could a copyist who was not really a Christian have added those Jesus references to Josephus' works in those days of Christian persecution?  No.  Who would risk so much for something they believe to be a lie?  And what would be their motivation when by being linked to Jesus or to Christianity meant they had nothing to gain, but everything to lose in those days?

The Roman Catholic church did many centuries later engage in such campaign, but not to the extent that you claim.  For example, one of Josephus references to Jesus Christ contradicts a major Catholic doctrine.  The Catholic church claims that Mary remained a virgin for life after Jesus was born.  They deny that James was the brother of Jesus or that Jesus had any brothers or sisters at all.  Josephus mentions James, brother of Jesus who was called Christ.  The Roman Catholic church certainly did not add that and if it were true that they tampered with Jesephus' works, they would have definitely removed that, but they did not.  

That's for extra biblical references to Jesus.  As for the Bible, most of the New Testament contradicts Roman Catholic doctrine and traditions.  If your claim that the Bible was tampered with and re-written by the Roman Catholic church were even true, why does it contradict the Catholic church so much?  That is why they had it translated into Latin and made it a crime to own a Bible in any other language, a crime to translate it from Latin into any other language, a crime to read or interpret it by the common folk, etc.  No, it was not modified or re-written as you claim.

The many hundreds of Qumran texts (contemporary and written by the Essene Jews in Jerusalem) make NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION OF JESUS WHATSOEVER! (even though there are some references to James the Just)

But what none of this refutes is the FACT that EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the Jesus story is plagiarized.

Every miracle... every prayer... every symbol... every detail.

How could Jesus be an original deity when he seemingly only ever fulfilled pagan prophecy?

The Doctrine of Diabolical Mimicry (google it) is the only defense Christians have ever offered to these facts... and it is blatantly, and indefensibly wrong.

Some other dude has referenced all the similarities...
&feature=related

Any evangelicals reading this should take the ten minutes to watch the vid...

Keep in mind NONE of the details are in question, and all of the similarities listed were openly conceded by early Church Fathers (Justin Martyr etc)

Existing extra biblical references to Jesus is one debate.  The Jesus Myth hypothesis, or conspiracy theory is a different thing which I take even less seriously.  Read my post above about Scholarly response to the Jesus Myth Hypothesis.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
loco,

Like MCWAY, you demand that I give exact references and precise... then you simply dismiss them. You obviously need to go read it in context for yourself. Why don't you? Why are you afraid to research this yourself? Are you afraid to read the opinions of anyone except a Christian apologist?

There are reams and reams of research on these subjects... atheists don't quote learned off lines to win arguments, they rely on a weight of evidence... not one infallible book.

I'm not a crank... I have a degree in experimental physics and have followed the growing exposure of these forgeries over the years as the dating/authenticating imaging technologies have improved.

As it stands now:

-Mark's gospel (the original gospel) has been dated to 155 AD at the earliest (the extant text could of course be a copy of an older text, but it does explicitly mention the destruction of the temple in 70 AD: that's 40 years after Jesus)

-by contrast, most of the Gnostic gospels and texts have better proven provenance than the canonical gospels. These gospels include stories of Jesus killing children with his magic powers, should they be considered infallible?

-early church fathers admitted in correspondence with fellow Christian conspirators that there was indeed a hidden version of Mark's gospel containing extra chapters and verses (redacted from the canonical gospels) explaining the inner mysteries of the miracles. Now we've found dozens of other revelatory traditions (predating Jesus) that use the exact same format.

A good example is the Gospel of Pythagoras (yes that Pythagoras, the mathematician)... Pythagoras, as the son of god, travels around with his twelve disciples healing the sick; healing the lame; feeding multitudes miraculously; raising the dead etc etc, until he is crucified by an evil tyrant, only to rise again three days later. Except, Pythagoras explains the astrological/mathematical meaning of his SYMBOLIC miracles to his favorite apostle. this is a hallmark of the Mystery Religion. 

-(impartial) linguists agree that Luke's, John's and Matthew's gospels are only variations of Mark with the few discrepancies implying that all four are actually sourced from a fifth lost text (nicknamed "Q" by the linguists), if Mark's gospel is a redaction of a more complete revelatory text (as church fathers assert) then the entire Christian canon is predicated on the format of the Mystery Religion, whence the Jesus story itself is obviously plagiarized.

-the Josephus reference is almost certainly a forgery, only Christian experts dispute this

-the Donation of Constantine (by which the Emperor Constantine supposedly established the Catholic Church) has been proven to be a forgery

-the "ascended into heaven" line ending Mark's gospel has been proven to be a considerably later addition to the 155 AD source document

...I remain open minded on the possibility of an actual historical Jesus, but he would no more resemble the Jesus of the gospels than the mathematician Pythagoras would resemble the godman Pythagoras.

Would it help persuade you guys if I explained/"enlightened" a couple of the gospel miracles?

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »
loco,

Like MCWAY, you demand that I give exact references and precise... then you simply dismiss them. You obviously need to go read it in context for yourself. Why don't you? Why are you afraid to research this yourself? Are you afraid to read the opinions of anyone except a Christian apologist?

There are reams and reams of research on these subjects... atheists don't quote learned off lines to win arguments, they rely on a weight of evidence... not one infallible book.

I'm not a crank... I have a degree in experimental physics and have followed the growing exposure of these forgeries over the years as the dating/authenticating imaging technologies have improved.

As it stands now:

-Mark's gospel (the original gospel) has been dated to 155 AD at the earliest (the extant text could of course be a copy of an older text, but it does explicitly mention the destruction of the temple in 70 AD: that's 40 years after Jesus)

-by contrast, most of the Gnostic gospels and texts have better proven provenance than the canonical gospels. These gospels include stories of Jesus killing children with his magic powers, should they be considered infallible?

-early church fathers admitted in correspondence with fellow Christian conspirators that there was indeed a hidden version of Mark's gospel containing extra chapters and verses (redacted from the canonical gospels) explaining the inner mysteries of the miracles. Now we've found dozens of other revelatory traditions (predating Jesus) that use the exact same format.

A good example is the Gospel of Pythagoras (yes that Pythagoras, the mathematician)... Pythagoras, as the son of god, travels around with his twelve disciples healing the sick; healing the lame; feeding multitudes miraculously; raising the dead etc etc, until he is crucified by an evil tyrant, only to rise again three days later. Except, Pythagoras explains the astrological/mathematical meaning of his SYMBOLIC miracles to his favorite apostle. this is a hallmark of the Mystery Religion. 

-(impartial) linguists agree that Luke's, John's and Matthew's gospels are only variations of Mark with the few discrepancies implying that all four are actually sourced from a fifth lost text (nicknamed "Q" by the linguists), if Mark's gospel is a redaction of a more complete revelatory text (as church fathers assert) then the entire Christian canon is predicated on the format of the Mystery Religion, whence the Jesus story itself is obviously plagiarized.

-the Josephus reference is almost certainly a forgery, only Christian experts dispute this

-the Donation of Constantine (by which the Emperor Constantine supposedly established the Catholic Church) has been proven to be a forgery

-the "ascended into heaven" line ending Mark's gospel has been proven to be a considerably later addition to the 155 AD source document

...I remain open minded on the possibility of an actual historical Jesus, but he would no more resemble the Jesus of the gospels than the mathematician Pythagoras would resemble the godman Pythagoras.

Would it help persuade you guys if I explained/"enlightened" a couple of the gospel miracles?

The Luke

Luke,
Afraid to research myself?  Research what?  You have not given me anything to research.  I have a degree from a secular university and my references here are not from Christian apologists.  So I have been exposed to plenty of material coming from secular scholars.

I had the courtesy of posting along with my claims scholarly references along with links, book title, author and page numbers.  I took the time to look this up at some point or another to back up my claims and to make it easier for you and other readers to verify my references. 

I asked you to kindly do the same and you respond, not with references, but with more unsupported claims.  I did not ask you to go read entire books or "reams and reams of research on these subjects."

You post one long thread after another full of claims and conspiracy theories, most of which I have heard or read about before, with nothing to back them up and you ask that I spend the time doing the research for you to back up your claim for you?  You expect me to take the time to do this to back up my own claims and yours too?  If you at least gave me a book title and author with a page number I could go look it up.  But you are unreasonable by asking me to go read entire books just to verify your claims. 

I already have 4 books, not from Christians apologists, that I am trying to read at the moment.  Asking me to go find evidence to back up your claims is unrealistic and unreasonable.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
These replies are becoming too lengthy...

I notice that you evade/skirt my points with deflections rather than rebuttals.... so in order to keep this thread readable for the other people following it I'll instead do just the opposite.

Look who's talking!!!!

I'll poke holes in the specifics of your deflections, point by point:
...just from the title I can discern the bias of Christian apologists.

In other words, despite all your blubbering about refusal to read thing, YOU don't practice what you preach.

FACT:
There is no Jesus outside the New Testament. He is a fictional re-imagining of the dying-resurrecting Mystery Religion godman. The ONLY contemporary literature in which Jesus appears is the New Testament and the Gnostic Gospels (but with varying stories and different disciples)... but closer inspection will show that none of these can be any earlier than 70 AD. (Mark's gospel is the earliest with Luke, Matthew, and John all being variations on Mark's gospel, and we know from the writings of Church fathers that there was an extended version of Mark's gospel with the astrological/gematrial mysteries of the SYMBOLIC storyline explained... just the same way the revelatory process of the Mystery Religion worked).

Every (EVERY!) other historical reference to Jesus is either centuries later or a proven forgery... every one of them. That's why all the impartial historians agree that there is NO direct historical evidence for Jesus... no Roman records, no Jewish records, no Egyptian records... nothing.

Proven by whom? You claimed that "EVERY expert on ancient religions worldwide accepts the plagiarism obvious in the Jesus story", which has easily been shown to be false.

As is your claim of there being no Jesus outside the New Testament; per the words of another religious expert:

Actually, the life of Jesus is recorded in whole or in part, different segments, in about 20 different non-Christians source--historically or archaeologically--outside the New Testament. And most of these are little snippets--a sentence here, a paragraph there--but you put them all together, and you get approximately 60 to 65 facts, concerning the life, death, resurrection of Jesus Christ and the teaching of the earliest church. You can get an outline of His life and NEVER touch the New Testament - Dr. Gary Habermas, also from "Who Is This Jesus? Is He Risen?" and author of "The Historical Jesus"

Your claims of forgery, with regards to Tacitus (a Roman), have little weight, as shown earlier. As for Josephus (who was Jewish), I covered that long ago. But, as Loco has repeatedly mentioned, whenever someone pulls that tactic with Josephus, the scholarly view is that Josephus' works DO INDEED document the life of Jesus Christ. The interpolations in question merely emphasize His divinity. And that's just the Testimonium in Book 18. Book 20, which merely identifies James as "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ" has been verified by experts (i.e. Dr. Louis Feldman) as being authentic.

Of course, there's the little matter of skeptics explaining why forgers would add a mere two references to Jesus, with only one of them emphasizing His divinity. But, that's another matter.

The whole issue with the date of the Gospels......

We do have a huge library of texts written during Jesus' time by the Qumran Essenes. Their leader, James the Just, was supposedly Jesus brother... yet not one single reference to or mention of Jesus can be found in any of these texts, which were in production all the way up to 70 AD.

...just from the title I can tell it as written by a Christian apologist. Jesus didn't come from Nazareth.

FACT:
Nazareth was founded in the third century as Christianity swept across the Roman empire. There is not one single mention of Jesus being from Nazareth in the gospels (canonical or gnostic). Nazareth did not exist in Jesus time (archaeologists have proven this) and appears on no Roman town lists or census records.

The misunderstanding arises from a mistranslation of the phrase: "Jesus the Nazorite" ...not a person from Nazareth (which didn't exist) but a member of a sect of Jewish mystics called Nazorites who were ritually trepanned (grooves drilled in the skull).

As usual, you produce more excuses, along with another tired diatribe, which Deicide pitifully tried to prop up here. For starters, even skeptics don't buy that mess anymore. Archaeological evidence that dates as early as 70 AD (and this was provided by the very skeptic site that Deicide linked here a while back) that shows the existence of Nazareth. That's less than 40 years after Jesus' death and resurrection.

Of course, this is merely the latest in a long line of backtracking, after skeptics claimed that Nazareth didn't exist AT ALL. And, it's yet another example of foot-in-mouth syndrome, when they claim that something that, at one point was only documented in the Bible, was merely fabricated.

...don't know the reference as I'm not a Bible-basher. Doesn't matter anyhow as lots of Gnostic texts written a century before Matthew mention the magi being witness to the birth (I'll dig up the reference). It's not so much a matter of timing the important part is that the solar-deity (Jesus in this case) is recognized as a miracle child by those in the know.

And, you have the nerve to cry about deflection. I GAVE YOU the reference (do the words "Matthew 2:7,16" ring a bell?) to the verses that depict Jesus' age when the wise men find Him. But, to eliminate this feeble exucse you keep using (since you obviously "refuse to read it"):

Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them the time that the star appeared....Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceicved, was exceedingly angry. And he sent forth and put to death all the male children, who were in Bethlehem and all its districts, from two years and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

FACT:
Including the Gnostic gospels (which have better proven provenance than any of the canonical gospels), Jesus has 16 different disciples altogether. None of the gospels can agree on a similar list of twelve. This is to be expected as the individual disciples of a Mystery Religion godman aren't important... only that he have one for each of the zodiac signs and is betrayed by one of them to the evil tyrant, and another (secret/latent) female disciple to represent the hidden lunar zodiac sign (usually this role is filed by Isis, or the godmans fallen-woman/former-prostitute mother/wife  in less literalist cultures: Jesus has Mary Magdalene).

Unlike Attis (and other), Jesus doesn’t get His freak on with His mother. Nor is Mary Magdelene his wife, as evidenced in the gospel of John. Jesus gives custody of His mother to John, something a first-born UNMARRIED son would do. Had Jesus been married, his wife would have had first priority.

To top it all off, the Gospels do not identify Mary Magdelene as a former prostitute. Once again, that is a tradition that assumes that Mary Magdelene and the woman caught in adultery are one and the same (which may or may not be the case).

...the "Is he Risen?" gives it away as Christian propaganda, but if you provide the link I'll watch it.

Again, you have the nerve to complain about my not reading stuff. Refresher: I MADE A THREAD with the link to the video; it ain't that hard to find!!!

...No, YOU keep referencing the MYTHOLOGICAL versions of these gods. The MYTHOLOGICAL version is a story filled with dramatic allegories (which lose something in the translation).

There ain’t that much loss of translation in the world which turns self-castration into crucifixion.

The MYSTERY RELIGION versions of these gods are always the same basic "Jesus" story as the basic story is an encoded ASTROLOGICAL solar-deity mystery religion.

Read what the experts think.
...the godman is always a virgin birth, always semi-illegitimate, always endowed with royal pedigree by proxy through an adopted father.

What royal pedigree? Jesus’ birth was allegedly illegitimate (i.e. Joseph, Mary’s husband WAS NOT the father). And, Joseph, Jesus’ earthly guardian was a carpenter.

That's why the New Testament keeps harping on about Jesus being of the line of David.
...the godman is often the adopted son of a "tekton", and often a tekton himself. Usually translated from the Greek as carpenter but more accurately rendered as "smith": a stonesmith (mason); woodsmith (carpenter); or wordsmith (literate scribe)... these are the trades that understood measure and numbers yet still being the common man... the godman is a populist deity who offers heavenly salvation to those oppressed on earth.

I have read what experts think, which is why refuting this stuff you keep posting is rather easy to do. ;D

And, the Old Testament had long established that the Messiah would come from David’s lineage. That’s why the NT harps on that.

These gods (such as Simon Magis) often associate with REDEEMED sinners; tax collectors, prostitutes etc.
...as I mentioned, it is an archaeological fact that Nazareth was founded in the third/fourth century.

The heck it is!!! Evidence for Nazareth, as early as late 1st/early 2nd century A.D. has been found. If you don’t believe me, ask Deicide or find his thread on this forum. Now, the popular skeptic excuse is that Nazareth didn’t exist during Jesus’ lifetime.

And, to make matters worse, there still remains the issue of the Gnostics (or whoever), supposedly inventing the Jesus character, using aspects they KNEW would be despised by the Jewish people (i.e. the appearance of an illegitimate birth, a carpenter for a guardian, raised in Nazareth, association with whores and publicans, and DEATH BY CRUCIFIXION).

...former or REDEEMED sinners always form the retinue of the godman.
...dude, it's always crucifixion. It's astrologically symbolic (the constellation of Orion transfixed on the Tree of Life {axis of the earth}: born; dying and renewed with the solar cycle and the precessional Great Year).

None of these cats got crucified, as I’ve stated multiple times on this thread and will state again later. The closest one you can even use it Attis. But, he’s tied to a felled tree AFTER his death, courtesy of hacking off his balls (or, if you use the other story, he literally got porked to death).

The religious ceremonies used by these don’t measure up (i.e. the priests who celebrated the festival of Attis/Cybele relieved themselves of their testicles to mimic the object of their worship. There’s no “mystery” to that; it’s documented in black-and-white)

Once again, the accounts on these dudes indicate that:

-   Attis chopped off his nuts, out of feverish lust over his own mama, Cybele
-   Mithras’ alleged salvation involved the death of a BULL, not himself.
-   Osiris got dismembered by Set and NEVER returned from the underworld; remember that this is where Isis (in bird form) has to go to have sex with him, in order to produce Horus.
-   Dionysus got beat down by the Titan and “reborn” as an infant, NOT resurrected as Jesus was.

What’s lost in translation, here? This is merely your feeble excuse and your deflection of the fact that NONE of those guys you mentioned match Jesus Christ.

...again, you can't seem to get your head around the fact the MYTHOLOGICAL versions of these deities differ from the MYSTERY RELIGION versions.

One is ALLEGORICAL, one is ASTROLOGICAL... you wouldn't only read "Mein Kampf" for an accurate, balanced assessment of Hitler's character would you?

What you can’t get your head around is that the worshippers of these other figures paid their homage in methods similar (if not IDENTICAL) to the accounts of their deities. I refer you to the priests of Attis/Cybele. If  anything, one would think that worshippers of Attis would rather adopt aspects of Christianity than vice versa, especially the MALE ONES (for obvious reasons!!!).

...No, the latent/hidden disciple who is often both the godman's mother and wife (it's astrological not literal) is always the first to see the risen godman. In the Jesus story it's Mary Magdalene and then the the Virgin Mary... the Christians separated the aspects of the hidden lunar disciple/mother but kept the names the same. Originally they were the same person as they represent the same star, but in its ascending and descending intervals. (Remember this is all astrological) 

Please!! The name “Mary” was as common during that time as “Jennifer” is today.

...THAT is your response to the FACT that Church Fathers explained the prefiguring of Jesus by pagan gods via the actions of a time-traveling Devil? (The Doctrine of Diabolial Mimicry)

That's weak MCWAY... really WEAK. That's tantamount to denying gravity while holding on to the ledge for dear life.[/quote]

What’s weak is your trying to claim that Jesus Christ was forged from these other figures, while ignoring the specifics that clearly show that their births, missions, deaths, and alleged resurrections DO NOT MATCH the account of Jesus Christ.

What you apparently forget is that the same guy about whom you keep harping, with regards to Diabolical Mimicry, also has “Dialogue” with a Jew who denies Jesus as the Messiah for some of the very reasons I’ve listed before.

No one with any knowledge of Jewish culture (supposedly “secret” or otherwise) is going to fabricate someone like Jesus Christ.

DENIAL DON'T MAKE IT SO! If it did, I'd be thin.

Agreed!! Yet you continue to deny the fact that these gods don’t fit the mold of Jesus Christ in those aforementioned areas.

One is ALLEGORICAL, one is ASTROLOGICAL... you wouldn't only read "Mein Kampf" for an accurate, balanced assessment of Hitler's character would you?

...the problem with all this is the timing.

We now know that the gospel switches the Pharisees for the Sadducees, which is incorrect but it doesn't stop there:

And this is based on........

FACT:
-the "slaughter of the innocents" never happened (it was a title applied to a massacre that took place about a 150 years earlier)

The Gospels do not refer to Herod’s actions as “slaughter of the innocents”. So this blurb of yours is rather pointless. Plus, this is little more than the old skeptic argument from silence, one that historically has burned skeptics time and time again, once the archaeological evidence surfaces that validates the Bible’s account.

FACT:
-John the Baptist (an apparently real historical figure), didn't leave his ministry to Jesus as the gospels assert... he left it to Simon Magis, a wizard and Tantric-Sex proponent (who also had 12 disciples and a former prostitute consort; healed the lame; healed the sick; healed the blind; walked on water; raised the dead; was crucified and resurrected after 3 days)

FACT: The Gospels never claimed that John the Baptist (also referenced in Josephus’ work, and Jesus’ earthly cousin) left “his” ministry to Jesus Christ. To top it all off (and this is something I was discussing with someone last week), the Gospels mention nothing about Jesus having a “prostitute consort”. That’s based on the traditional view that Mary Magdelene was also the woman caught in adultery.

Furthermore, Josephus does not record anyone taking John’s ministry from him (after his imprisonment and subsequent beheading). What’s more, John the Baptist (a devout follower of God, as referenced by both the Gospels and the works of Josephus) would NOT have handed his ministry to a “wizard”, as such were ordered to be PUT TO DEATH. As harsh as he was on Herod and Herodias for their adultery, there’s NO indication that he would give a “Tantric-Sex proponent” charge of a ministry.

FACT:
-despite writing reams of copy on the subject, Paul (formerly Saul of Tarsus), the founder of modern (Pauline) Christianity didn't know anything about the virgin birth; the miracles; the raising the dead etc.

And this is based on what? Paul associated with both Luke and John, who BOTH recorded such. Plus, Luke records many of Paul’s messages in Acts.

Per Paul’s words in Romans 1:1-3 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures, concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

He knew of the virgin birth of Jesus, as he constantly made references to what the prophets of old said, which INCLUDED a virgin birth. (In addition, he likely gleaned more information from Luke and John, with whom he traveled). However, His death and resurrection are of far more importance to Paul than His mere birth; so, Paul’s preaching focused on that.

...eyewitness testimony, supposedly written down by the witness two hundred years after the event doesn't ADD to the credibility of these deeply flawed documents... and it certainly doesn't win any arguments with those who know better.

Problem is that the Gospels weren’t originally penned two hundred years after the events. Many of the extant copies of the Gospels are dated in that time period. But, that doesn’t hold that they were initially written then.[/quote]

MCWAY,

Just accept the fact: THE ENTIRE JESUS STORY IS PLAGIARIZED!

They just removed the intricate inner mysteries; the equivalence with other gods (just as Muslims do with the "one and only Allah"); the anti-Roman references (Pilate, an actual historical bastard of the highest order, is "forced" into killing Jesus... but left in the codified anti-Roman "Book of Revelations"), and made blind faith a virtue in lieu of a deeper understanding of the symbolism.

Blind faith is for children MCWAY, open your eyes... there's nothing to be afraid of.

Indeed!!! Why would I be afraid of a bunch of foolishness, claiming that Jesus was crafted from Attis, Horus, Osiris, etc., when looking up those characters and examining the details clearly, easily, and definitively shows that such ain’t the case?

No crucifixion, no “virgin birth”, no death to save man from sins, and in at least one case (Osiris), no resurrection.

And, as it’s often the case, when a skeptic can’t back his claims with fact or brow-beat a believer into buying such foolishness, they pull the old “Blind faith” routine.

If there’s any fear, it’s from your end. Exactly what is it about the mere existence of Jesus that frightens you and other skeptics, to the point where you have to concoct such goofiness to claim He was crafted from such characters?

I accept the facts, which is why I can refute your claims quite handily. Unlike you, I can give the specifics. I don’t gripe about someone not reading vague references, while avoiding specific references given in plain, simple, easily-readable form.

I'll dig up those quotes from the Gnostic texts when I get a chance, and I'll get a few youtube links for the non-readers.

The Luke

You’ve have plenty of chances. Yet, for some reason, you haven’t produced. Ain’t it funny how you don’t have time to back your claims, but somehow you have time to continually post this foolishness?

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
Reasonable points there loco...

I'm beginning to realize that many others simply aren't capable of shrugging off Christian indoctrination the way I did... I suppose if you are a true believer deeply afflicted by such indoctrination (I never was) it must be very difficult to come to terms with the truth of the matter.

Beginning to realize no one will trust my judgment on any of this.

The problem with references for my arguments would be that people such as MCWAY want chapter and verse on every point I make... when I give such detailed explanations they are dismissed. I'm working from memory here... I have dozens of sources, not one book that I've memorized.

What should I do?
Copy and paste the entire story of each and every resurrecting godman? (complete with references; links; notes; and verifications)? I believe there are about 34 of them altogether? Then I have to reference and cross check every one of my assertions... wouldn't it be faster and less cumbersome for me to simply copy and paste the entire text of the book I recommended?

Faced with such evidence MCWAY will then turn to the next trick of those defending the indefensible: he'll call into question my sources... that's why I'd prefer to simply make my case based on facts and allow those open to persuasion (no one can persuade a fundamentalist) to check my facts for themselves.

Notice the telling turn of this discussion... no one has shown my argument to be falsifiable. They simply set impossible standards for any evidence supporting my case, which is actually an effort to deflect attention from the fact that it is actually the Christian apologists whose case is completely unsupported.

MCWAY thinks he's being clever, but I know his tactics...

loco,

I recommend you read Gandy and Freke's book "The Jesus Mysteries: Was Jesus a Pagan God"... if you're reading other books on Christianity at the moment then drop them. After reading "The Jesus Mysteries" you'll never bother with this apologist bunkum ever again.

The Luke
PS-for the record, the ten minute youtube video I posted is fully referenced, anyone interested can check it out... I won't post the references here myself as I'm more interested in stimulating those reading the thread to do their own research rather than engage MCWAY in his obstructionist dismissals... he's obviously been trained on how to obstruct (without actually counteracting) the atheist argument.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »
loco,

Those references WERE good evidence of the historicity of Jesus... that is, until advances in infra-red wavelength laser imaging allowed the pigments of the texts to be analyzed and dated based on the degradation rates of the constituents.

All the explicit historical references (Josephus for example) have been PROVEN to be forgeries by this method.

Please expand on this. It sounds fascinating.  :)

Do you have any links? I would greatly appreciate them.

Don't hold your breath.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2008, 12:06:23 PM »
Reasonable points there loco...

I'm beginning to realize that many others simply aren't capable of shrugging off Christian indoctrination the way I did... I suppose if you are a true believer deeply afflicted by such indoctrination (I never was) it must be very difficult to come to terms with the truth of the matter.

Beginning to realize no one will trust my judgment on any of this.

The problem with references for my arguments would be that people such as MCWAY want chapter and verse on every point I make... when I give such detailed explanations they are dismissed. I'm working from memory here... I have dozens of sources, not one book that I've memorized.

What should I do?
Copy and paste the entire story of each and every resurrecting godman? (complete with references; links; notes; and verifications)? I believe there are about 34 of them altogether? Then I have to reference and cross check every one of my assertions... wouldn't it be faster and less cumbersome for me to simply copy and paste the entire text of the book I recommended?

So far, you're 0 for 5. I doubt the other 29 will help your case.

As Loco and I have both stated, nobody is expecting you to memorize whole books, as neither of us have done so. Yet, somehow, whenever he or I make a claim about a certain aspect or topic.....WE SUPPORT IT with specific references (author, book, chapter and verse). If I don't know it from memory, I either find the link or transcribe it, should I have such a reference at home.

Making these flimsy excuses merely shows that your arguments are weak and have little substance. If you have the time and energy to post all these allegations, you have the time and energy to post the specifics to back your case.

Faced with such evidence MCWAY will then turn to the next trick of those defending the indefensible: he'll call into question my sources... that's why I'd prefer to simply make my case based on facts and allow those open to persuasion (no one can persuade a fundamentalist) to check my facts for themselves.

If I wanted to do that, I could have easily done so a long time ago. That’s a tactic skeptics often use (including you, assuming that all of my sources and those of Loco were "apologetic") when their points get chopped.

I don’t have to do so, because the information is off the mark, and showing such hardly requires attacking the source.

Notice the telling turn of this discussion... no one has shown my argument to be falsifiable. They simply set impossible standards for any evidence supporting my case, which is actually an effort to deflect attention from the fact that it is actually the Christian apologists whose case is completely unsupported.

Boy, are you stretching the truth. There's nothing impossible about I've asked. You claimed that there were two stories on Attis. I've looked up Attis multiple times found two stories on him: One has him dying by cutting off his balls and bleeding to death; the other has him gored to death by boar. NEITHER resembles crucifixion (even the strapping an already-dead Attis to a felled pine tree is a stretch).

Figure by figure, I have shown the specifics and those specifics DO NOT MATCH the death, birth, purpose, life, or resurrection of Jesus Christ. Virgin mother don't change into birds to have sex with their dead husbands (with substitute penises), stuck in the underworld. Death by crucifixion to save man from sin is quite different than hacking off your nuts in lust after your own mama, or killing a bull.

MCWAY thinks he's being clever, but I know his tactics...

My tactics are simple: Look up each figure; compare them to Jesus Christ; point out the GLARING differences; give references to support them. Go to work on your wacky claim...REPEAT!!!!

loco,

I recommend you read Gandy and Freke's book "The Jesus Mysteries: Was Jesus a Pagan God"... if you're reading other books on Christianity at the moment then drop them. After reading "The Jesus Mysteries" you'll never bother with this apologist bunkum ever again.

The Luke
PS-for the record, the ten minute youtube video I posted is fully referenced, anyone interested can check it out... I won't post the references here myself as I'm more interested in stimulating those reading the thread to do their own research rather than engage MCWAY in his obstructionist dismissals... he's obviously been trained on how to obstruct (without actually counteracting) the atheist argument.

Loco has already done his own research. Your screwball condescending remarks concerning his or my being "afflicted with such indoctrination" is the typical skeptical spiel of frustration, when their Jesus-myth blubberings get picked apart.

Your whole intent was to ridicule The Coach (and other believers) with this drivel. Instead, when you get ask to bring the goods to support your statement, little but woeful and lame excuses fly from your fingers.

And contrary to what you and other like-minded skeptics would like to tell yourselves and each other, I don't fear any of this gibberish you've brought here thus far or any you may bring in the future. In fact, I've been BEGGING you to bring whatever you've got to make your case.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
I think it's best if we do one specific point at a time... posts are getting too long.

I appreciate that you're having trouble finding a reference to the Mystery Version of any of these gods, but there are a bundle of such references at the end of this vid.

MCWAY, would you concede that there is some validity to the plagiarism claims in light of the fact that the early church father Justin Martyr conceded such obvious similarities?

The Luke

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »
Bob Price, a very respected scholar of the NT:

I remember a particular Superboy comic book in which the Boy of Steel somehow discovers that in the future, he is thought to be as mythical as Peter Pan and Santa Claus. Indignant at this turn of events, he flies at faster than light speed and enters the future to set the record straight. He does a few super-deeds and vindicates himself, then comes home. So Superboy winds up having the last laugh -- or does he?

Of course, it is only fiction! The people in the future were quite right! Superboy is just as mythical as Santa Claus and Peter Pan.

This seems to me a close parallel to the efforts of Christian apologists to vindicate as sober history the story of a supernatural savior who was born of a virgin, healed the sick, raised the dead, changed water into wine, walked on water, rose from the grave and ascended bodily into the sky.

I used to think, when I myself was a Christian apologist, a defender of the evangelical faith, that I had done a pretty respectable job of vindicating that story as history. I brought to bear a variety of arguments I now recognize to be fallacious, such as the supposed closeness of the gospels to the events they record, their ostensible use of eyewitness testimony, etc. Now, in retrospect, I judge that my efforts were about as effective in the end as Superboy's! When all is said and done, he remains a fiction.

One caveat: I intend to set forth, briefly, some reasons for the views I now hold. I do not expect that the mere fact that I was once an evangelical apologist and now see things differently should itself count as evidence that I must be right. That would be the genetic fallacy. It would be just as erroneous to think that John Rankin must be right in having embraced evangelical Christianity since he had once been an agnostic Unitarian and repudiated it for the Christian faith. In both cases, what matters is the reasons for the change of mind, not merely the fact of it.

Having got that straight, let me say that I think there are four senses in which Jesus Christ may be said to be a "fiction."

First (and, I warn you, this one takes by far the most explaining): It is quite likely, though certainly by no means definitively provable, that the central figure of the gospels is not based on any historical individual. Put simply, not only is the theological "Christ of faith" a synthetic construct of theologians, a symbolic "Uncle Sam" figure. But if you could travel through time, like Superboy, and you went back to First-Century Nazareth, you would not find a Jesus living there. Why conclude this? There are three reasons, which I must oversimplify for time's sake.

1) In broad outline and in detail, the life of Jesus as portrayed in the gospels corresponds to the worldwide Mythic Hero Archetype in which a divine hero's birth is supernaturally predicted and conceived, the infant hero escapes attempts to kill him, demonstrates his precocious wisdom already as a child, receives a divine commission, defeats demons, wins acclaim, is hailed as king, then betrayed, losing popular favor, executed, often on a hilltop, and is vindicated and taken up to heaven.

These features are found world wide in heroic myths and epics. The more closely a supposed biography, say that of Hercules, Apollonius of Tyana, Padma Sambhava, of Gautama Buddha, corresponds to this plot formula, the more likely the historian is to conclude that a historical figure has been transfigured by myth.

And in the case of Jesus Christ, where virtually every detail of the story fits the mythic hero archetype, with nothing left over, no "secular," biographical data, so to speak, it becomes arbitrary to assert that there must have been a historical figure lying back of the myth. There may have been, but it can no longer be considered particularly probable, and that's all the historian can deal with: probabilities.

There may have been an original King Arthur, but there is no particular reason to think so. There may have been a historical Jesus of Nazareth, too, but, unlike most of my colleagues in the Jesus Seminar, I don't think we can simply assume there was.

2) Specifically, the passion stories of the gospels strike me as altogether too close to contemporary myths of dying and rising savior gods including Osiris, Tammuz, Baal, Attis, Adonis, Hercules, and Asclepius. Like Jesus, these figures were believed to have once lived a life upon the earth, been killed, and risen shortly thereafter. Their deaths and resurrections were in most cases ritually celebrated each spring to herald the return of the life to vegetation. In many myths, the savior's body is anointed for burial, searched out by holy women and then reappears alive a few days later.

3) Similarly, the details of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection accounts are astonishingly similar to the events of several surviving popular novels from the same period in which two lovers are separated when one seems to have died and is unwittingly entombed alive. Grave robbers discover her reviving and kidnap her. Her lover finds the tomb empty, graveclothes still in place, and first concludes she has been raised up from death and taken to heaven. Then, realizing what must have happened, he goes in search of her. During his adventures, he is sooner or later condemned to the cross or actually crucified, but manages to escape. When at length the couple is reunited, neither, having long imagined the other dead, can quite believe the lover is alive and not a ghost come to say farewell.

There have been two responses to such evidence by apologists. First, they have contended that all these myths are plagiarized from the gospels by pagan imitators, pointing out that some of the evidence is post-Christian. But much is in fact preChristian. And it is significant that the early Christian apologists argued that these parallels to the gospels were counterfeits in advance, by Satan, who knew the real thing would be coming along later and wanted to throw people off the track. This is like the desperate Nineteenth-Century attempts of fundamentalists to claim that Satan had created fake dinosaur bones to tempt the faithful not to believe in Genesis! At any rate, and this is my point, no one would have argued this way had the pagan myths of dead and resurrected gods been more recent than the Christian.

Second, in a variation on the theme, C.S. Lewis suggested that in Jesus' case "myth became fact." He admitted the whole business about the Mythic Hero archetype and the similarity to the pagan saviors, only he made them a kind of prophetic charade, creations of the yearning human heart, dim adumbrations of the incarnation of Christ before it actually happened. The others were myths, but this one actually happened.

In answer to this, I think of an anecdote told by my colleague Bruce Chilton, how, staying the weekend at the home of a friend, he was surprised to see that the guest bathroom was festooned with a variety of towels filched from the Hilton, the Ramada Inn, the Holiday Inn, etc. Which was more likely, he asked: that representatives from all these hotels had sneaked into his friend's bathroom and each copied one of the towel designs? Or that his friend had swiped them from their hotels?

Lewis's is an argument of desperation which no one would think of making unless he was hell-bent on believing that, though all the other superheroes (Batman, Captain Marvel, the Flash) were fictions, Superboy was in fact genuine.

3) The New Testament epistles can be read quite naturally as presupposing a period in which Christians did not yet believe their savior god had been a figure living on earth in the recent historical past. Paul, for instance, never even mentions Jesus performing healings and even as a teacher. Twice he cites what he calls "words of the Lord," but even conservative New Testament scholars admit he may as easily mean prophetic revelations from the heavenly Christ. Paul attributes the death of Jesus not to Roman or Jewish governments, but rather to the designs of evil "archon," angels who rule this fallen world. Romans and 1 Peter both warn Christians to watch their step, reminding them that the Roman authorities never punish the righteous, but only the wicked. How they have said this if they knew of the Pontius Pilate story?

The two exceptions, 1 Thessalonians and 2 Timothy, epistles that do blame Pilate or Jews for the death of Jesus, only serve to prove the rule. Both can easily be shown on other grounds to be non-Pauline and later than the gospels.

Jesus was eventually "historicized," redrawn as a human being of the past (much as Samson, Enoch, Jabal, Gad, Joshua the son of Nun, and various other ancient Israelite gods had already been). As a part of this process, there were various independent attempts to locate Jesus in recent history by laying the blame for his death on this or that likely candidate, well known tyrants including Herod Antipas, Pontius Pilate, and even Alexander Jannaeus in the first century BC! Now, if the death of Jesus were an actual historical event well known to eyewitnesses of it, there is simply no way such a variety of versions, differing on so fundamental a point, could ever have arisen!

And if early Christians had actually remembered the passion as a series of recent events, why does the earliest gospel crucifixion account spin out the whole terse narrative from quotes cribbed without acknowledgement from Psalm 22? Why does 1 Peter have nothing more detailed than Isaiah 53 to flesh out his account of the sufferings of Jesus? Why does Matthew supplement Mark's version, not with historical tradition or eyewitness memory, but with more quotes, this time from Zechariah and the Wisdom of Solomon?

Thus I find myself more and more attracted to the theory, once vigorously debated by scholars, now smothered by tacit consent, that there was no historical Jesus lying behind the stained glass of the gospel mythology. Instead, he is a fiction.

Rejoinders:

1) We deem them myths not because of a prior bias that there can be no miracles, but because of the Principle of Analogy, the only alternative to which is believing everything in The National Inquirer. If we do not use the standard of current-day experience to evaluate claims from the past, what other standard is there? And why should we believe that God or Nature used to be in the business of doing things that do not happen now? Isn't God supposed to be the same yesterday, today, and forever?

2) The apologists' claim that there was "too little time between the death of Jesus and the writing of the gospels for legends to develop" is circular, presupposing a historical Jesus living at a particular time. 40 years is easily enough time for legendary expansion anyway, but the Christ-Myth Theory does not require that the Christ figure was created in Pontius Pilate's time, only that later, Pilate's time was retrospectively chosen as a location for Jesus.

a) See Jan Vansina, Oral Tradition as History on the tendency in oral tradition to keep updating mythic foundational events, keeping them always at a short distance, a couple of generations before one's own time.

b) And even if there were a historical Jesus and we knew we had eyewitness reports, the apologists fail to take into account recent studies which show that eyewitness testimony, especially of unusual events, is the most unreliable of all, that people tend to rewrite what they saw in light of their accustomed categories and expectations. Thus Strauss was right on target suggesting that the early Christians simply imagined Jesus fulfilling the expected deeds of messiahs and prophets.

3) It is special pleading to dismiss all similar stories as myths and to insist that this case must be different. If you do this, admit it, you are a fideist, no longer an apologist (if there is any difference!).

Second, the "historical Jesus" reconstructed by New Testament scholars is always a reflection of the individual scholars who reconstruct him. Albert Schweitzer was perhaps the single exception, and he made it painfully clear that previous questers for the historical Jesus had merely drawn self-portraits. All unconsciously used the historical Jesus as a ventriloquist dummy. Jesus must have taught the truth, and their own beliefs must have been true, so Jesus must have taught those beliefs. (Of course, every biblicist does the same! "I said it! God believes it! That settles it!"). Today's Politically Correct "historical Jesuses" are no different, being mere clones of the scholars who design them.

C.S. Lewis was right about this in The Screwtape Letters: "Each 'historical Jesus' is unhistorical. The documents say what they say and cannot be added to." But, as apologists so often do, he takes fideism as the natural implication when agnosticism would seem called for. What he imagines the gospels so clearly to "say" is the mythic hero! When, in his essay, "Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism," Lewis pulls rank as a self-declared expert and denies that the gospels are anything like ancient myths, one can only wonder what it was he must have been smoking in that ever-present pipe of his!

My point here is simply that, even if there was a historical Jesus lying back of the gospel Christ, he can never be recovered. If there ever was a historical Jesus, there isn't one any more. All attempts to recover him turn out to be just modern remythologizings of Jesus. Every "historical Jesus" is a Christ of faith, of somebody's faith. So the "historical Jesus" of modern scholarship is no less a fiction.

Third, Jesus as the personal savior, with whom people claim, as I used to, to have a "personal relationship" is in the nature of the case a fiction, essentially a psychological projection, an "imaginary playmate." It is no different at all from pop-psychological "visualization" exercises, or John Bradshaw's gimmick of imagining a healing encounter with loved ones of the past, or Jean Houston leading Hillary Clinton in an admittedly imaginary dialogue with Eleanor Roosevelt.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with any of this, but one ought to recognize it, as Hillary Clinton and Jean Houston, and John Bradshaw do, as imaginative fiction. And so with the personal savior.

The alternative is something like channeling. You have "tuned in" to the spirit of an ancient guru, named Jesus, and you are receiving revelations from him, usually pretty trivial stuff, minor conscience proddings and the like. Some sort of imaginary telepathy.

In fact I don't believe most evangelical pietists mean anything by "having a personal relationship with Christ" than a fancy, overblown name for reading the Bible and saying their prayers. But if they did really refer to some kind of a "personal relationship," it would in effect be a case of channeling. I suspect this is why fundamentalists who condemn New Age channelers do not dismiss it as a fraud pure and simple (though obviously it is), but instead think that Ramtha and the others are channeling demons. If they said it was sheer delusion, they know where the other four fingers would wind up pointing!

Especially in view of the fact that the piety of "having a personal relationship with Christ" and "inviting him into your heart" is alien to the New Testament and is never intimated there as far as I can see, it is amazing to me that evangelicals elevate it to the shibboleth of salvation! Unless you have a personal relationship with Jesus, buster, one day you will be boiling in Hell. Sheesh! Talk about the fury of a personal savior scorned!

No one ever heard of this stuff till the German Pietist movement of the Eighteenth Century. To make a maudlin type of devotionalism the password to heaven is like the fringe Pentecostal who tells you you can't get into heaven unless you speak in tongues. "You ask me how I know he lives?" asks the revival chorus. "He lives within my heart." Exactly! A figment.

Fourth, Christ is a fiction in that Christ functions, in an unnoticed and equivocal way, as shorthand for a vast system of beliefs and institutions on whose behalf he is invoked. Put simply, this means that when an evangelist or an apologist invites you to have faith "in Christ," they are in fact smuggling in a great number of other issues. For example, Chalcedonian Christology, the doctrine of the Trinity, the Protestant idea of faith and grace, a particular theory of biblical inspiration and literalism, habits of church attendance, etc. These are all distinct and open questions. Theologians have debated them for many centuries and still debate them. Rank and file believers still debate them, as you know if you have ever spent time talking with one of Jehovah's Witnesses or a Seventh Day Adventist. If you hear me say that and your first thought is "Oh no, those folks aren't real Christians," you're just proving my point! Who gave Protestant fundamentalists the copyright on the word Christian?

No evangelist ever invites people to accept Christ by faith and then to start examining all these other associated issues for themselves. Not one! The Trinity, biblical inerrancy, for some even anti-Darwinism, are non-negotiable. You cannot be genuinely saved if you don't tow the party line on these points. Thus, for them, "to accept Christ" means "to accept Trinitarianism, biblicism, creationism, etc." And this in turn means that "Christ" is shorthand for this whole raft of doctrines and opinions, all of which one is to accept "by faith," on someone else's say-so.

When Christ becomes a fiction in this sense he is an umbrella for an unquestioning acceptance of what some preacher or institution tells us to believe. And this is nothing new, no mutant distortion of Christianity. Paul already requires "the taking of every thought captive to Christ," already insists on "the obedience of faith." Here Christ has already become what he was to Dostoyevsky's Grand Inquisitor, a euphemism for the dogmatic party line of an institution. Dostoyevsky's point, of course, was that the "real" Jesus stands opposed to this use of his name to sanction religious oppression. But remember, though it is a noble one, Dostoyevsky's Jesus is also a piece of fiction! It is, after all, "The Parable of the Grand Inquisitor."

So, then, Christ may be said to be a fiction in the four senses that 1) it is quite possible that there was no historical Jesus. 2) Even if there was, he is lost to us, the result being that there is no historical Jesus available to us. And 3) the Jesus who "walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am his own" is an imaginative visualization and in the nature of the case can be nothing more than a fiction. And finally, 4) "Christ" as a corporate logo for this and that religious institution is a euphemistic fiction, not unlike Ronald McDonald, Mickey Mouse, or Joe Camel, the purpose of which is to get you to swallow a whole raft of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors by an act of simple faith, short-circuiting the dangerous process of thinking the issues out to your own conclusions.

If you've ever heard me answer a question, you know I overanswer them by a yard. I'll probably do the same thing in posing questions. What can you do when you're a motor-mouth.

These are three questions that I thought might be kind of interesting to talk about. So let me hit number one here. You could think of it as Dr. Rankin does.

The first one. Paul Tillich said that the historical Jesus can never be known with certainty. And that it's rather what he called the Gospel picture of Jesus as the Christ, the Christian preaching of Jesus Christ, that brings new life to the Christian. Now, what I'm thinking is, why is that not good enough? Why do Evangelicals think it all has to have actually happened, as Francis Schaeffer used to say, in space-time history? What is lost in the more liberal theological approach to that? So that'd be the first one. Why does it all have to have happened historically to be powerful for Christianity?

Second one. Francis Schaeffer again used to say that the Christian need never fear following the evidence wherever it leads because he will never, in a striking phrase, fall off the edge of the earth. That is, he will never find his faith destroyed by the facts. And yet, Schaeffer turns right around and gives a list of approved positions Christians may hold on creation and evolution, the only ones allowed by the Bible. In my experience, Tillich again is right that fundamentalism destroys the humble honesty of the search for truth. Research is by definition open-ended. How can there be any sincere research -- for example, the historical Jesus question -- when the outcome is dictated in advance by one's faith? How can there be real open-minded research when you know already your faith will be borne out?

Third one. Slightly different wavelength. Anyone who's read the promotional flyer for this evening must have been struck by the fact that both of us have come from opposite ends of the religious spectrum and passed each other in the middle as we changed places, even spending time at the same seminary. I once read a book called "The Psychology of Religious Doubt," which tracked individuals going from a conservative faith to a liberal one, and some that went from a liberal to a conservative one. The author concluded that each way the pilgrimage was an integrative journey away from a style of belief that didn't meet the person's emotional needs, toward one that did. And I'm just curious. Do you think that has anything to do with what happened to the two of us?

I hate the State.