Author Topic: shrugs  (Read 2528 times)

Mega Man

• Getbig III
Re: shrugs
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Good advice - I like it.

My traps suck. One of my worst bodyparts and they've no height to them at all - all I do for them is shrugs and only recently I've started upright rows. I'll concentrate more on squeezing and higher reps as I'm willing to try anything now.

Trust me if do a decent amount of reps.....and squeeze at the top....you should feel it the next day especialy if you do some type of physical labor 8)

Another trick I do to stimulate the traps is drop sets.....I pick a weight where I can do 20 reps, then once I get to failure I quickly grap lighter dumbells where I can do another 20 reps...sometimes I do 3 or 4 drop sets in a row until Im to pumped and my muscle feels like its gonna burst.......and a mabey the last rep I will hold the squeez at the top for as long as I can( 5-10 seconds)

drop sets work for stubborn muscles....like calfs for me. But if you naturaly have a great, strong chest or back....drop sets might just make you prone to injury in my opinion....at least from my experience.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
you know, i never really considered that; mega man. i do drop sets most every workout...but i think i will hold back on leg and back training  from now on...no reason to get injured training those body parts..as they grow very easily for me..

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:48 PM »
Deadlifts have been awesome for my trap thickness, from top to bottom.  When not doing deads on a regular basis, i like dumbell shrugs with my chin tucked in (head down), and arms at sides.  I'll do a few sets of these, then a few straight up barbell shrugs.  Sometimes I'll jump on a t-bar row station (the one with the pad against the chest) and shrug on that.  It gives you a different, but good angle to work from.  Hits b/w the shoulder blades a bit more.

If I had to pick one exercise, I'd go with deads (forget the straps, and use chalk).

Point of clarification, Mr. Speaker: Close grip.  My shoulder girdle doesn't like wide at all.  And the row station I use allows me to plant my feet on the floor, which i do.  Feet up would no doubt restrict breathing quite a bit. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
I was at the gym last night and saw a guy doing shrugs with the straight bar.it was just painfull to watch :-X he was doing 3 plates a side and it was just to much for him.bouncing his whole body up and down and rolling his shoulders on every rep :-\

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
I was at the gym last night and saw a guy doing shrugs with the straight bar.it was just painfull to watch :-X he was doing 3 plates a side and it was just to much for him.bouncing his whole body up and down and rolling his shoulders on every rep :-\

That's more likely to cause an injury than make his traps grow!!! ;D