Author Topic: General Question for Vet  (Read 2088 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
General Question for Vet
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »
Vet, in your experience does it seem to you that people make more out of incidents or signs that happen to an animal than they would if it was a person?

For instance, if a pet vomits or gets diarrhea it is made into a big deal and must go to the vet ASAP, whereas if a person throws up or get the squirts people are more apt to blow it off as a passing bug or something they ate, or not that a  big concern unless it goes on for some time. 

The dog has a sudden limp and suddenly he has torn an ACL or has hip dysplasia or something else and must get to the vet, a kid or adult is limping and they fell down and should get over it.

Not that I think people are more concerned with a pets health over a family members ( ::)) but does it seem that the same symptom in an animal takes on a different and more urgent meaning than if it was a person?

Also is a vet more apt to prescribe something for the vomiting or diarrhea (if they have ruled out a serious cause and it appears to be idiopathic in origin) than if it was a human and they tell you to rest, take fluids, bland foods, and maybe something OTC like Kaeopectate?  I am not implying they are prescribing meds from a money making angle but from a "soothe the client" angle.

thoughts?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: General Question for Vet
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Honestly, it totally depends on the individual owner. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »

And whether they're a lesbian or not.  :-X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »

nah.  ;D

Rabbit owners are the absolute worst in my opinion.  And even then, they are a paradox because some of the most practical, down to earth, realistic WONDERFUL clients I'veever had brough in pet rabbits to be seen.   At the same time the three biggest certifiable wackjob clients I've ever seen were rabbit owners.  The fourth was a bird owner. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:00:08 AM »
Honestly, it totally depends on the individual owner. 

::)

I've had this conversation with people before and it seems like if an animal appears sick or off the owner is overly concerned, but the same thing in a person we tend to brush off as just a bug or whatever.    Like pets are never supposed to vomit or ever have a non perfectly formed poop.   ;D   But people can throw up and get the squirts without really a second thought.

I've always concluded it's because we can't ask our pets what else is going on like you could a person.......or it is because most people think animals are better than people and deserve to get more concern.
  :D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:24:22 AM »
To me it is the other way around... :-\
I've seen alot of illnesses in my days as a pet owner and am really not that concerned if a dog vommits or has the runs.
But for most people it will be best to go and run of to the vet because they dont know a thing about the creature living in their home and is called a dog!
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:16:57 AM »
To me it is the other way around... :-\
I've seen alot of illnesses in my days as a pet owner and am really not that concerned if a dog vommits or has the runs.
But for most people it will be best to go and run of to the vet because they dont know a thing about the creature living in their home and is called a dog!

I'm like you Euro, I don't worry unless it continues on or other symptoms are accompanying it.   

But I would rather see an overly concerned person than one who should be concerned and isn't.  That's why I can't watch the Animal Precinct type shows, the excuse is that "they didn't notice"  oh, the dog just got to skin and bones or had that big tumor grow overnight?   >:(

I think I will probably be a bit nutty over the bird though, since he/she is my first birdie and I feel they are a bit more fragile (to me) than a dog.  Although I will say when he/she decided to come off the play perch in the upstairs hall this morning and fly down the steps to the downstairs where I was, I didn't really wig out except to make sure their was no blood and to ask him if he was proud of himself.  ::) I think he was.
  :P

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:13:42 PM »
pets can't talk, people can.  Its pretty simple.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
pets can't talk, people can.  Its pretty simple.

I disagree with that. 

The problem with humans is our arrogance.   We expect everything to communicate the way we do (to talk).  Some animals have a very complex methodology of communication (elephants, wolves) that not only involve vocalizations, but also body language.  They just don't have the mimicry ability to communicate in a method humans recognize.  Hell if anything, you can consider most "pets" that you can train to be bilingual.  They speak their species language and they speak whatever language the humans they interact with. 

If you know an animal and you watch it, they will tell you if they are sick.  You just have to pay attention and listen to them. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »
lol @ bilingual!  Yeah our companions are aren't they?   Does that make us pet owners bilingual too? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:59 PM »
I believe animals just have a different way of expressing themselves.

problem is....most people are terrible listeners to begin with & thats with the English language & their own friends & family members.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:58 AM »

huh?                                                               ::)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:18:09 AM »
huh?                                                               ::)

I can support your huh on this one.... ;)
?