Author Topic: ABUSING AMERICA'S WAR DEAD  (Read 1752 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
ABUSING AMERICA'S WAR DEAD
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03252008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/abusing_americas_war_dead_103470.htm

March 25, 2008 -- LAST Saturday, as the num ber of American fighting men and women killed in Iraq approached 4,000, my wife and I crawled through traffic in the DC suburbs - in the safety, prosperity and congestion that our troops guarantee with their lives.
Up ahead by a traffic light, an unkempt figure held up a hand-lettered sign. But as we inched forward, I realized this was no homeless person.
The man was scrawny and middle-aged, with mad-scientist hair and a wispy beard that proclaimed he had no wife to discipline him - but his clothing was clean (if sloppy). He just looked like one of those guys who nurse their coffee far too long at Starbucks on the weekends.
His sign said: SUPPORT TROOPS BRING HOME. Stingy with definite articles and punctuation, the poor devil seemed as if his cause had been chosen at random, as if he would have been equally distraught over UFO "coverups."
As we passed him by, I would've bet my life that I could tell you three facts about him: He'd never served in our military and didn't know anyone in uniform; he had nothing better to do on that lovely afternoon - and he was a Barack Obama supporter.
Since that lonely activist sighting, our war dead in Iraq reached the 4,000 mark after five full years of war. Historically, and given the scope of the conflict, the figure's remarkably low. Yet, as a former soldier, I know it's a foul against the families to argue either that our casualties are limited or exorbitant. For those who lose a loved one, that single casualty might as well be a million.
Soldiers die in war. They always will. They know that when they sign up or re-enlist. Nonetheless, our nation's leaders have the responsibility to employ our troops as wisely as possible and never to squander their lives for political ends.
As we reached the 4,000th service-member killed in action, I found myself disgusted with both the Bush administration and its irresponsible, cynical opponents. The slogan, "Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home," may be the most dishonest that ever intruded on American politics - but the war's original sponsors haven't rushed their own kids to the recruiting office, either.
With all-too-rare exceptions, our politicians, right or left, really don't give a damn about our troops. Polls matter, grunts don't.
Oh, the pols spout all sorts of rhetoric about how much they honor those in uniform, but they really only value our troops as tools of partisan policies or for photo ops.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: ABUSING AMERICA'S WAR DEAD
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »
Between the incumbent president and his would-be replacements, only one has served in uniform or had a son or daughter serve in uniform. If military service is so praiseworthy, why don't more pols encourage their own kids to sign up? I'll tell you why: They regard our troops as second-raters who couldn't get into Harvard Law or a master's program at Yale.
It's the Leona Helmsley approach to policy: Our troops are the "little people."
Most pols don't even know any service members - except for a few grotesquely ambitious retired generals and admirals.
We've seen President Bush dressed up in a flight suit, grinning like Alfred E. Neuman among troops who desperately want to believe in their commander-in-chief. We've seen Sen. Hillary Clinton do drive-bys in Iraq - just long enough to make political statements, pose with the troops, then zip home.
For his part, Sen. Obama at least has the integrity to not even pretend he cares about the troops - he doesn't go anyplace more dangerous than a Chicago church pew. No recent aspirant for the Oval Office has known or cared so little about our military.
I'm just damned angry. The right won't admit any mistakes in Iraq, while the left seeks to undercut progress there.
Honorable, valiant and tenacious, our troops deserve better leaders. Never in our history have we seen so profound a contrast between those who serve and those who decide how they should be employed.
We also face, for the first time, national-level leaders who would rather lose a war than lose an election.
What actions in Washington would truly honor those 4,000 dead service members?
* From President Bush, a straightforward, no-excuses apology for his administration's arrogance and earlier mistakes in this war.
* From Sen. Clinton, a public denunciation of her Hollywood pals (who keep funding movies portraying our soldiers as atrocity-addicted psychotics) and a commitment to listen to our leading generals before making any decisions regarding troop withdrawals.
* From Sen. Obama, a two-week visit to dirty-boots Army and Marine units in Iraq (not the Green Zone and no photo ops) and a pledge to give a fair hearing to military advice before surrendering to al Qaeda in Iraq.
* From both parties in Congress, a return to the policy that, in wartime, politics stops at the water's edge.
Fat chance. We'll see Osama bin Laden become a Baptist first.
Four thousand dead service members in Iraq? Does any reader of this column believe that Bush, Clinton or Obama has lost a single hour of sleep thinking about those troops and their families?
I suspect that pathetic can't-get-a-date-so-I'll-protest-the-war guy on the street corner down here in the DC suburbs felt a more-genuine concern than any of the above.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »
yesterday Cheney said the biggest burden of this war is carried by President George W. Bush... Whatcha think of that abuse :D

Not cool at all if you ask me...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:40:52 AM »
In a purely leadership way..yes i would agree to an extent....if u accept the fact that every American death means something to him...but on my level its the US military and the families that support it. Cheney really outa not comment on shit like that.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
"Support the war, bring the troops home".   4,000 soldiers dead. 

Perhaps it hasnt occured to you that Iraq was none of our business.   And if the soldiers hadnt of gone to Iraq then theyd be home with families enjoying life.

Maybe your slogan should be  "Support the war, keep us there till we're dead" 

Good lord,  How do you make it thru the day?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »
By not being a pussy....seriously if ur house was on fire would u put it out or whine that ur house was on fire. Did u even read the article.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
By not being a pussy....seriously if ur house was on fire would u put it out or whine that ur house was on fire. Did u even read the article.

Apparantly we ran across the pond and set fires to alot of homes of people we didnt even know. your analogy is weird.

Are you ready to put out the fires of murder and hate and bring the soldiers home?  Or are you a brainwashed pussy?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
My point is that we are already there.....I didn't start the war, I don't really have opinion on the cause of the invasion. Bush thought he had wmd's...regardless we are there. My simple analogy must have been to much for u...if ur house is on fire are u going to try and put it out or watch it burn while u whine about it. The house is already on fire....we are already in Iraq. We can't leave until we're sure we won't have to go back because the damm arabs begin another bloodbath far worse then what we saw in the Balkans...and we can't allow Iran to control it either.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
i agree we cant pull out too fast. Too much chaos is going on.   But the point is that their will always be corruption and problems with the kurds sunnis and shia...they think theyre going to heaven if they die in battle.  Its a no win situation.    We have to withdraw at some point in time and accept that democracy will never take hold there.

BTW If my home was on fire, I would get my family out.  To hell with the home.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:53:48 AM »
Forget democracy...i never agreed that hoisting democracy on everybody was a good idea. It won't work in Iraq  nor Afghanistan. U can create a UAE or other situation where they aren't killing themselves. U can create a moderate government not bent on looting the oil wealth or creating problems for its neighbors. Democracy was a buzz word to make some folks feel better.
L

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
Forget democracy...i never agreed that hoisting democracy on everybody was a good idea. It won't work in Iraq  nor Afghanistan. U can create a UAE or other situation where they aren't killing themselves. U can create a moderate government not bent on looting the oil wealth or creating problems for its neighbors. Democracy was a buzz word to make some folks feel better.

Wrong.   You cannot create peace there...ever.  You can title it however you want but once again...war is culture..revenge is honor.    Remember that.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »
U can have peace....u have  peace in plenty of countries in Middle East. U just won't have Western style democracy.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
U can have peace....u have  peace in plenty of countries in Middle East. U just won't have Western style democracy.

I disagree. Iran had a Western style democracy at one point, however, misguided & selfish manipulation, resulted in the unforeseen consequences that we are all paying for to this day. However, that being your premise, does it then make sense to destroy Western style democracy at home, in the pursuit of something you admittedly deem to be an unattainable Western style democracy in Iraq or the rest of the middle east?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03252008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/abusing_americas_war_dead_103470.htm

March 25, 2008 -- LAST Saturday, as the num ber of American fighting men and women killed in Iraq approached 4,000, my wife and I crawled through traffic in the DC suburbs - in the safety, prosperity and congestion that our troops guarantee with their lives.
Up ahead by a traffic light, an unkempt figure held up a hand-lettered sign. But as we inched forward, I realized this was no homeless person.
The man was scrawny and middle-aged, with mad-scientist hair and a wispy beard that proclaimed he had no wife to discipline him - but his clothing was clean (if sloppy). He just looked like one of those guys who nurse their coffee far too long at Starbucks on the weekends.
His sign said: SUPPORT TROOPS BRING HOME. Stingy with definite articles and punctuation, the poor devil seemed as if his cause had been chosen at random, as if he would have been equally distraught over UFO "coverups."
As we passed him by, I would've bet my life that I could tell you three facts about him: He'd never served in our military and didn't know anyone in uniform; he had nothing better to do on that lovely afternoon - and he was a Barack Obama supporter.
Since that lonely activist sighting, our war dead in Iraq reached the 4,000 mark after five full years of war. Historically, and given the scope of the conflict, the figure's remarkably low. Yet, as a former soldier, I know it's a foul against the families to argue either that our casualties are limited or exorbitant. For those who lose a loved one, that single casualty might as well be a million.
Soldiers die in war. They always will. They know that when they sign up or re-enlist. Nonetheless, our nation's leaders have the responsibility to employ our troops as wisely as possible and never to squander their lives for political ends.
As we reached the 4,000th service-member killed in action, I found myself disgusted with both the Bush administration and its irresponsible, cynical opponents. The slogan, "Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home," may be the most dishonest that ever intruded on American politics - but the war's original sponsors haven't rushed their own kids to the recruiting office, either.
With all-too-rare exceptions, our politicians, right or left, really don't give a damn about our troops. Polls matter, grunts don't.
Oh, the pols spout all sorts of rhetoric about how much they honor those in uniform, but they really only value our troops as tools of partisan policies or for photo ops.

BTW - Interesting article you posted. I will say the author has displayed a clear talent for manipulation through skillful juxtapositioning of stereotypes that pander to existing prejudices. Someone looks out the window of their automobile, at a man they've never laid eyes on before, and decides they know everything about him by mere superficial appearance alone. Who he is, what his life and/or career experience has been, his marital status, his acquaintances, his beliefs, his social calendar, his eligibility to vote, as well as how he is going to cast that vote on election day... all this information, gleaned from a single glance. Remarkable! It not only sad that someone could believe this, ...but even sadder that one would be willing to bet their lives on it's accuracy. Where does such hubris come from? Are you willing to let people subject to these absurd prejudices bet your life, and the lives of your children on it? Because as long as we continue to allow others to manipulate & distract us, apply & attach labels to those they do not even begin to know, that's exactly what we're doing. How has that been going for you these past 8 years?
w